Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

body scrubs???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
miss_mini

Mon May 21, 2007 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
anybody know of a good body scrub to use before fake tanning? theres so many out there and i'm totally confused... i have sensitive skin too... Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is somewhat sensitive...tend to break out in wierd rashes occasionally for no apparent reason! I've used a lot of Bath and Body scrubs...they seem to work well. I prefer the kind in the squeeze bottle w/gel, rather than the jars w/oil...much less messy and the ones w/oil have actually cut me before...granules are really sharp! I will also just use one of those round scrubbies (avail. at most drugstores...kind of puffy and in girly colors). I just put my shower gel on that and scrub away! I do it all over...then apply my lotion. No issues w/elbows, knees...and areas where fake tan tends to accumulate.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 2:10 am      Reply with quote
Well, I don't use a fake tan, but I LOVE Caudalie Crushed Cabernet Scrub for a weekly scrub and Peter Thomas Roth Botanical Buffing Beads (I use it as a shower gel) for daily use. Neither one of them aggravates my eczema. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 2:33 am      Reply with quote
A good home scrub is sugar (use soft brown if you are VERY sensitive or demerara if less so), honey and olive or almond oil. Mix to a thick paste and apply gently to a damp body in the shower. Rinse off and ta da! soft and moisturised skin!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 2:41 am      Reply with quote
I know I keep going on about this, but the absolute SUPREME pre-tanning scrub is with Dermalogica's Ultimate Buffing Cloth.

So easy to use and effective, plus you don't have to keep buying scrubs. It can even tone down any streaks or blotches once you've done your fake tan.

I really can't recommend it highly enough.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 2:59 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
A good home scrub is sugar (use soft brown if you are VERY sensitive or demerara if less so), honey and olive or almond oil. Mix to a thick paste and apply gently to a damp body in the shower. Rinse off and ta da! soft and moisturised skin!

Can you use cooking olive oil from supermarket for this?

Tue May 22, 2007 3:04 am      Reply with quote
Yep regular oil will do fine.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 3:45 am      Reply with quote
happymeal wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 5:05 am      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
happymeal wrote:

actually I use organic extra virgin oil but you can use anything.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 5:09 am      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
happymeal wrote:

actually I use organic extra virgin oil but you can use anything.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 5:10 am      Reply with quote
I was never sure whether I could use normal cooking olive oil available in supermarkets or I would need cosmetic grade olive oil like those ones from Neal's Yard, GoW, and stuff. I'm totally useless when it comes to DIY. Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 7:00 am      Reply with quote
I like Philosophy body scrubs. You're supposed to use them on dry skin, but since you're sensitive, you could use it on wet. They come in all sorts of yummy scents. I have sweet coconut milk right now.

There's no 'yum' emoticon. Picture a kitty licking his lips.
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 8:30 am      Reply with quote
I really love Bella Lucce body scrubs, amazing scents and very effective.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 9:36 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:

Liz, how about your famous coffee scrub? Wink Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Sel wrote:
I really love Bella Lucce body scrubs, amazing scents and very effective.

I second BL. I love the Bali Coffee Scrub and the Peruvian Choc Scrub. Delicious scents, not oily, the perfect scrub IMHO.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Third Bella Lucce's body scrubs!! I love them.. DH also loves them! They're very yummy! Drool
Ch79
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I've recently started dry brushing, which is an excellent form of exfoliation. Basically, it's just those brown body brushes sold at any bath/health store, which you brush all over your body before you shower. Sloughs off all the dead, dry skin.

As for other options - before fake tanning, I like a really hard-core exfoliation. Obviously, for your legs, the best thing you can do is shave. Same goes for any other shave-able area.
For further exfoliation, I like exfoliating cloths like the Dermalogica one mentioned by majorb above. I'm not totally sold on there being a real difference between the Dermalogica cloth and other similar cloths, but that's a personal preference. You can find similar types of exfoliating cloths at most health/beauty stores. My TJ Maxx/Marshall's also always has them in the beauty aisle. I like these clothes because they can SERIOUSLY scrub your skin.

No real recommendations on the body wash type exfoliators, as I'm not a huge fan of those. The ones which offer the best scrub are the salt ones, with plenty of tiny coarse granules for scrubbing the skin. But I LOATHE the residue salt scrubs leave behind, so I prefer to use a polishing cloth or dry brush.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
I just tried the Bella Lucce Pumpkin Body Polish for the first time tonight and it has to be one of the best, if not the best scrub I've used. I still have a few others from Bella Lucce in my cupboard that I still haven't tried Embarassed I'm sure i'll get round to it though!
I really want to try the Peruvian Chocolate Scrub now. I have the Chocolate Silk Bath Bubbles and it has the most amazing scent.

I'd also second what Ch79 wrote about body brushing. It really does help cut down on the amount you need to exfoliate your body with manual scrubs and in the long run helps you build up a nice colour with the fake tan.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
I was never sure whether I could use normal cooking olive oil available in supermarkets or I would need cosmetic grade olive oil like those ones from Neal's Yard, GoW, and stuff. I'm totally useless when it comes to DIY. Embarassed

If it is good enough to eat it is more than good enough for your body. I even use sunflower oil in a pinch and some prefer it.

Nadjazz, I still use the chockamocha but it needs stuff buying in. I always have sugar honey and oil Very Happy

and Ch79 is right, dry brushing is very good for the skin generally Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Eminence sugar scrubs are effective but not too hardcore. Smells delicious! Smile
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Ch79"]I've recently started dry brushing, which is an excellent form of exfoliation. Basically, it's just those brown body brushes sold at any bath/health store, which you brush all over your body before you shower. Sloughs off all the dead, dry skin.

For further exfoliation, I like exfoliating cloths like the Dermalogica one mentioned by majorb above. I'm not totally sold on there being a real difference between the Dermalogica cloth and other similar cloths, but that's a personal preference. You can find similar types of exfoliating cloths at most health/beauty stores. quote]

Ch. 79...couple of questions. When you dry brush...do you just do it in your bathroom? Does it leave skin flakes all over? And...can you use it all over your body? (Being gentle over the boobs/inner thigh area of course Rolling Eyes ) Also...how often do you replace your brush? Do you have a recommendation on a good one? Last question...w/the exfoliating cloths...are they like a washcloth? And do you use body wash with them? (Ok...that was 2 questions...) Thanks much!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
I am not a fan of body scrubs, so I like to use either dry body brushing or else a nylon scrub towel with a moisturizing non-soap body cleanser. No mess, no grains, no irritation. Sweet!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
I always use sugar and it works awesome! just pure white table sugar. you can buy a bag of it for $1.
Ch79
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Geminiwoman wrote:
Ch. 79...couple of questions. When you dry brush...do you just do it in your bathroom? Does it leave skin flakes all over? And...can you use it all over your body? (Being gentle over the boobs/inner thigh area of course Rolling Eyes ) Also...how often do you replace your brush? Do you have a recommendation on a good one? Last question...w/the exfoliating cloths...are they like a washcloth? And do you use body wash with them? (Ok...that was 2 questions...) Thanks much!

I'm new to dry-brushing. There was a thread on it recently, so I asked a lot of newbie questions as well! If you do a board search, you should find it. Very helpful.
To answer yours - yes, I do it in the bathroom, right before I get in the shower. Sometimes I just do it while I'm sitting at my desk. The consensus from that thread and my googling of the topic was that you should do it before you shower so you rinse off all the dead skin, but I still sometimes just do it when I'm sitting around. I'm usually in a rush before my shower, and this way I feel like I'm taking my time more. I don't know if it is any more or less effective.
No, dry skin does not flake everywhere. It's like when you scratch your arm - you're taking off a layer of skin, but it's not like you see it fly everywhere.
Yes, I pretty much use it everywhere, though I mainly focus on anything I care about, like my arms, legs, and upper chest. Everything else gets a brief pass over with the brush, because I'm not too concerned. Most people in the previous thread recommended a brush with a detachable handle, so you could easily hold it in your hand, or put the handle on to reach your back. I never bother with the handle, because my back is soft enough, and I don't really care to bother.
I don't know how often you have to replace the brush, but it should be pretty sturdy, as it's not doing anything strenuous. I would imagine they last a long time.
I don't have any brand recommendations. I bought mine at Whole Foods, and it's a nice medium stiffness. Some people prefer their bristles a bit harder or a bit softer, so that's a personal preference.

Exfoliating cloths are textured like those scrubbing bath mitts you can buy. They are much bigger than washcloths, and specifically much longer, so that you can hold on to each end and scrub your back, leg, etc. I think the difference in how you scrub with them is really what makes them work better than the bath mitts. You can absolutely use them with body wash. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I like them, because I feel like I'm multitasking. Others really like how foamy it makes the bodywash.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 1:48 am      Reply with quote
I'm completely in the dry brushing and dermalogica cloth camp! It saves a lot of money and prevents clutter in my bathroom.

Guapa's recipe is great too, I'd always favour using what I have in my kitchen over paying more than is needed for someone else to stir some ingredients together for me.

If you have essential oils, you can make guapa's recipe smell gorgeous.

Lately I've been using raw cacao powder in my smoothies, and it's also very good for the skin! It's full of minerals, and would be great in a body scrub like guapa described.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |