Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
HELP WITH UPS BROKERAGE FEES!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, so I bought my JH and they were shipped via UPS. I read about some of the brokerage fees on the UPS site and they didn't seem so exorbitant at the time. But now I have an INFO NOTICE of $114.63USD - even MORE than the cost of my JH!!!

I have no clue how they came to that amount, now obviously I am not willing to pay it and have contacted the store to inquire about a refund (since UPS will return the package to sender after 3 failed attempts of delivery).

Does anyone know what else I can do? I'm pretty annoyed and feeling a bit stupid since I've never had experience with UPS before.

Any advice would be appreciated.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sormuimui! First off, what's JH? next, by brokerage fees do you mean shipping fees? I can't believe it would cost more than $100 to ship something... Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
JH = Julie Hewett

Brokerage fees are supposedly fees UPS charges to clear customs. But I still can't see how it can total to that amount. Confused
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Wow..that seems ridiculous! I tried searching UPS's website but all I found were minimal fees to Canada.
It must be a combination of UPS fees, duties and taxes somehow. Ridiculous!!!

Can JH ship with a different carrier???

Please keep us posted about it...hopefully JH will refund your money! I'm just afraid if UPS charges JH for the return...

Here is what I found from the website...NOTHING near the over 100 bucks you are being charged!

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
I bought from another store that carries JH because they accept paypal. I didn't order directly from JH.

The thing is the other info I found online was that they can charge from 0.00 (package with less than 20$ value) up to 50.00 (package with 1000.00) value and mine is only 102.00. Then they will add the duties on top and trust me GST + PST for something 102.00 is less than 20 bucks so I really don't see how they can charge me so much even with all the COD handling fees included and GST on top of that.

I feel a bit ripped off right now that I was not told of such fees and that the UPS site is so misleading with very minimal information.
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry! I don't know what to say. I've had to deal with UPS quite a few times in the past and HATE them with a passion. THey IMO, charge RIDICULOUS brokerage fees, more than anything else out there including FedEx, and much more than the regular postal system.

I bought a $25 item in the past on which USP slapped a $21 fee onto!! I absolutely refuse to give my business to any company that ships solely UPS now.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
which website did you purchase from...if you don't mind my asking...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
ww.nvoguecosmetics.com
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Well, it looks like you'll need to pay reshipping fees (if a package is returned).

But maybe they can ship it via another carrier...they offer three!

If all else fails...maybe someone who has paypal can do a CP for you?

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
I know how you feel, Sormuimui...

Last fall I ordered soap from the Vermont Soapworks company. My total order came to $19.35 USD. When I placed my order online, there was no provision made to select a shipping method but it indicated they would contact me first to confirm shipping costs. (I was thinking more like $5 or $6 USD via the regular postal service which was what I had been charged for something else of similar weight that I had ordered. I would definitely have refused had I known it would be via UPS.) Well, they didn't contact me and sent it via UPS for another $16.10 USD shipping fee. So let me see.... $19.35 USD for 3 bars of soap, $16.10 USD for shipping via UPS plus an additional $22.35 CAD to UPS at the door for them to release the package. Three bars of soap came to a RIDICULOUS $64.01 CAD. Needless to say I was blazing mad.

It means UPS gets the shipping charge + a brokerage/handling fee for a total of $38.37 for three little bars of soap. It's highway robbery as far as I am concerned especially considering there is no duty. (PST & GST were a mere $2.90 out of the $22.35.)

Like Maiea, I detest UPS with a passion! Refuse the package....
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
PT: They only offer UPS to international. Well I had no prior experience with UPS and was obviously misled by the site (that's why I feel a bit stupid being so damn ignorant! Mad )

I am still waiting to hear from them as to whether they'll let me refund or not. I don't mind paying a little extra shipping for it to be shipped USPS or something like that.

However when the package gets returned to sender don't they have to pay for the brokerage fees? What if they ask ME for the money or refuse to give me a refund?
havana8

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Although I don't know for certain, I suspect they will deduct the shipping charges from your total before issuing the remaining balance as a refund.... You could always pay the annoying fees and live and learn on this order?
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:

However when the package gets returned to sender don't they have to pay for the brokerage fees? What if they ask ME for the money or refuse to give me a refund?

If that happens I will start a sormuimui fundraiser:

Have you been plagued by outrageous duties and taxes?
Have your COD charges been as much or more than the products you've bought?
Help an EDS member get her lipsticks!
Donate today!

I'll pitch in the first 5 bucks (seriously...I will!)

ETA: I think the worst case scenario is shipping charges, you'll get your $102 back, it's if the $114 doesn't go away...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks PT, I feel much better knowing I have all this support on EDS. The fundraising deal really put a smile on my face, it's so funny how you described it! Thanks for your kind thoughts. Before I was feeling pretty mad at UPS and mad at myself for not checking everything properly.

I'll update once I get a reply from NVogue, but I really wanted to say Thank you.
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure about this, but if you do get charged maybe you can object through paypal.
Genie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Those brokerage fees are amazing. FedEx charges much less, but most small companies don't offer FedEx.

The shipping and all the fees is why my family in Canada has orders shipped to me in the states and then I mail through USPS or just bring them back with me when I go visit.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
OMG you guys have it so bad in Canada.

I get stuff delivered to Japan using UPS quite often and only have to pay 10% taxes if the order is over $100 or so. I think maybe there is a $5 charge in there somewhere for brokerage, but that is all.

One thing that I was told once... if your international item is shipped via post office you are less likely to get hit with taxes because of the volume they handle. If it is shipped with a courier, then they HAVE to do the correct invoicing and tax calculations..

also, what are taxes on cosmetics like for Canada? Here they are good - only 10% - but some things, like leather shoes, are RIDICULOUS. we have to pay a flat 6000 yen (yes, that is not a typo) tax on a pair of leather shoes that are valued no more than about US$200 Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Taxes vary between Provinces. In BC we have to pay 6% GST and 7% PST totalling 13%. In Ontario they only pay the 6%GST. In Nova Scotia they have to pay 14%.

I agree I prefer USPS because I only get charged taxes/duties if I'm unlucky which equals to the 13% + about 5 bucks customs handling charges.

Also wanted to point out that my UPS notice says the next attempted delivery would be between 1030-2pm - WHO on earth would be home at those times?? Those who need to go to work would be working and those who need to go to school would be at school Mad
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sormuimui, About six months ago I asked Jurlique if they would send me some samples of their Herbal Recovery Gel. They were nice enough to send me four little packets - but they sent them UPS. When they got here UPS wanted $60.00!!. I refused and phoned Jurlique to tell them what happened and they were nice enough to send me out some more samples by regular mail. I too refuse to do business with anyone who will only ship UPS. UPS is great if you live in the States but it gouges Canadians!.(I live in BC).
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
In Japan we are lucky with UPS because they are affiliated with a local courier Yamato, so they pass it over to them for evening or weekend delivery.

BUT if it is DHL (my most hated service) they ONLY deliver 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. WTH?

Oh, but they will deliver on Saturday mornings.. IF you pay and extra $5 !!!!!!! Mad

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
I hate UPS...they USED to leave my packages under my rug (I'm up on the 2nd floor in the corner...no one every knows when I get a package) and they've since stopped. My Tiffany bracelet was on it's way so I skipped work to stay home and wait. They said they've be here between 10 and 2. They didn't show...I had to leave at 5:30 to pick up my husband only to get back and find an INFO notice that they stopped by at 6:15!
10 and 2 my BUTT!!!

I ended up having to drive 45 minutes across town to pick up my bracelet (it was their 2 delivery attempt...I KNEW I wouldn't be home for the next one).

Argh. I always select USPS if I can...even though they don't have nearly as good a tracking (usually just delivery conf.).
I HATE YOU UPS! whew...that was cleansing...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
I also hate UPS. My friend works at UPS and he really hates it there.. Some of his co-workers and managers have no respect, and just toss things like nothing. I prefer USPS.
Genie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:50 am      Reply with quote
My husband gets deliveries via UPS quite often which don't need signatures. Our lawn and house is elevated by two flights of stone stairs above the end of the driveway. The UPS driver regularly just stands at the bottom of the stairs and tosses the package up to front lawn. Doesn't matter if it's a cardboard envelope or a box. He just tosses it and leaves it sitting in plain view on our front lawn. We've complained to UPS and it still happens about 50% of the time. Needless to say, UPS is not our favorite carrier.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:53 am      Reply with quote
There's always a chance that there was an error. I know FedEx called me to pay $150 on a supposed 450$ order. The problem was, the seller itemized wrong..5 items at $150. Instead of 5 items totalling $150. It was quickly rectified when I got a new invoice from Saks. Just wondering if you called & asked them to explain the charges?
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Please let us know when you hear something, dear sormuimui. I'm crossing my fingers that all will be rectified.

Pray

There's nothing more unsettling than waiting for an email about something like this!

Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |