Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I'm sharing my beauty secrets
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
Cool Hi everyone, my name is Daniel and I'm a male model in Milan. Over the years I have experimented with countless beauty products so I would like to share what I find works the best for me.

Hair:

I have tried nearly all the costly hair products on the market and I can tell you, the best is often the cheapest. My hair is like silk.

> Baby shampoo, get the conditioning formula (ph balanced).
> Suave conditioner.

You can find both of these at a dollar store for literally a dollar or less and they contain all the right ingredients for your hair.

If you want a killer shine for your hair use a LITTLE coconut oil, just rub a little in your palms and glide it down your hair.

Makeup:

I like liquid mineral makeup the best (I use Glominerals), for foundation. In a sheer formula, never matte as it does not go on as good. Alot of people say to moisturize your skin before you put on foundation of any kind however I find that moisturizer only makes the end results look oily so I stick with 99% aloe gel, this goes on well, forms an even barrier for the makeup and does not have the oily look (it will dry almost immediately but not dry out your skin). Remember, less is more for foundation, you only need a small amount (dot it around your face and blend with your fingers).

Cheap eyeshadow powder makes a great brow powder!: Find one 2/3 shades lighter then your hair color if your dark haired and 2/3 darker if your light haired.

Blush:

I like creamy or gel blush in a tube because they are the most easy to work with and give a fresh glow compaired to powder blush that can look and feel cakey.

Skincare:

Sunscreen: Is very important. Never tan! I use a cheap sunscreen from coppertone everyday, its not greasy and it WORKS. Not to mention the price tag is fairly cheap. Wear wrap-around UV sunglasses everyday. Also make sure you apply sunscreen to your neck and hands too!

Sunless tanner: I'm a bit too pale so I use ONE application of this once a week. The product I use is called Loreal Sublime, you can find it at most drugstores.

Vasaline: (in the tube): Works very well for emergency skin healing/lipbalm/very dry skin like nothing else.

Retin A: Will resurface your skin.

Vitamin C serums: Will brighten your skintone. I use this under my eyes.

Glycolic body washs: Are nice once in awhile to help brighten/smooth your skin. I use one by DDF.

Clindoxl gel: is a prescription product for acne. It works like Benzyl Peroxide but is more gentle. I use it after a few days of Retin A for quicker acne clearing results.

Gentle antibacterial cleaner: I use one by Vivier Pharma. I wash my scalp with it to prevent dandruff/scalp acne and keep my skin overall nice and clear.

Granulated sugar and baby oil: Mix together with a few drops of your favorite essential oil and rub gently on your skin. After you will feel baby soft. You don't want to do this too often (as it may end up hurt your skin so limit to once a week).
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Daniel Very Happy ,
You are lucky that ph balanced baby shampoo and Suave conditioner are all you need to tame your locks...I am envious! My hair gets very knotted...If I tried to detangle my hair with Suave conditioner my head would probably end up looking like the end of a straw broom!

Lots of great tips, though! I've used aloe vera gel in the past but it tends to leave me feeling dry; perhaps I'm just accustomed to a moister feeling skin before make-up. I use mineral make-up too, but I've never tried glominerals. I'm loving Laura Mercier mineral make-up and the silk creme foundation - great stuff! I also can't shut-up about Laura Mercier secret brightening powder for around the eye area - I can't live without it! The coconut oil for the hair is a great idea!
Puds Very Happy
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Teeth:

I tried to brush my teeth once with a natural toothpaste and I ended up getting calcium deposits. Not cool. I now use the regular "Colgate total toothpaste" and rinse with water. Simple but it works.

I also whiten my teeth 2 times a week with a cheap 7$ whitener called "Natural White", it's a gel you put on a rubber/plastic tray and fit on your teeth for 5 minutes. It works extremely well.

Diet:

Avoid sugar/white flour/fructose!

Instead use the artificial sweeteners, Splenda is great and if you do your research you will find out for yourself that it is perfectly safe in moderation.
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Remember, beauty mostly comes from inside. You don't need to go overboard to impress people, you just need to adjust your attitude. Learn a bit about human psychology, I really recommend a book called "why men marry/date bitches". Smile
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
daniel7654 wrote:

Diet:

Avoid sugar/white flour/fructose!

Instead use the artificial sweeteners, Splenda is great and if you do your research you will find out for yourself that it is perfectly safe in moderation.

I heard that sugar actually interrupts the release of some chemical that tells the brain that you are NOT satisfied...I can't remember what it is called...Anyways, the nuts and bolts of it is this: If you eat a diet high in sugar - you'll have difficulty feeling satisfied; your brain will want to continue eating far beyond what is necessary for fuel - you won't have the capacity to feel satisfied (now THAT is a nightmare!). Re: White flour, white sugar: I've heard it said that one should just get rid of most of the "white" food in the house altogether!

I totally agree re: Splenda...some people are afraid of it...not me...I'm more afraid of aspartame - I get severe headaches if I consume anything containing aspartame.

Re: beauty - I think that generally speaking, everything that matters comes from the inside....I've never heard of the book you mentioned...sounds like a fiery read!
puds.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
Some great tips there, Daniel. Thanks! Very Happy
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
daniel7654 wrote:
Cool I have tried nearly all the costly hair products on the market and I can tell you, the best is often the cheapest. My hair is like silk.

> Baby shampoo, get the conditioning formula (ph balanced).
> Suave conditioner.

I'd been using more expensive brands and then recently tried TRESemme shampoo and conditioner and my hair felt so much softer right away. Guess it does go to show that it's not always expensive means better.

Thanks for all the tips! Smile
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Daniel for sharing your tips.

On the shampoo note, I totally agree with you. I started to use shampoo designed for Kids about 2 weeks ago, and I am so happy to see my shine again, just like the hair that my 12-year-old niece has. I think sometimes it's the shampoo built up that causes your hair lose its natural shine.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips.

I've finally learned that expensive doesn't necessarily mean good. Yes, it has taken me a long time to be really convinced! How sad is that?!?! Rolling Eyes

Re makeup, although I prefer MMU for everyday wear, I've learned not to trust it for special occasions. Tinted moisturizers work best for me for a night out. I used to buy every single blush people were raving about (esp. from Nars), but now only stick to subtle wearable colors. I love pale pinks, peachy pinks, and subtle bronze.

With skincare, I'm now a lot more patient and stick with a product for longer than a month rather than switching around trying new products every week. I've learned to use oil to moisturize my skin and I now use vit c serum and sunscreen religiously. I now use gentle cleansers rather cleansers advertised as "specifically for dry skin" as I find they're less likely to strip or irritate my skin. I also wash my face before going to bed no matter how tired or drunk I am. Laughing

And thank god I've found co-washing! I used to have problems with itchy scalp right after I wash my hair (no dandruff). But ever since I started co-washing, the problem's gone and I'm loving it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 5:42 am      Reply with quote
Its great to see men taking part in this forum
Cuddles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 6:05 am      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
And thank god I've found co-washing! I used to have problems with itchy scalp right after I wash my hair (no dandruff). But ever since I started co-washing, the problem's gone and I'm loving it.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is co-washing?
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 6:06 am      Reply with quote
Lola Moroney wrote:
Its great to see men taking part in this forum

Which one is the male here?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 6:23 am      Reply with quote
there are great tips!
but you sai Sunscreen: Is very important. Never tan!
why never tan?
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 6:38 am      Reply with quote
helenzwl wrote:
there are great tips!
why never tan?

Because sunbathing causes skin damage. Have you not been paying attention helen?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 7:08 am      Reply with quote
helenzwl wrote:
there are great tips!
why never tan?

Because ANY tan is BAD for your skin.

Also agree that it's nice to have a male perspective on the forum! I've always told DH that gay guys (absolutely, totally NOT implying anything toward you personally Daniel) make great friends for girls (just speaking from my own personal experiences in college) b/c you get a masculine perspective w/ some feminine interests! My DH gets a glazed look on his face if we go shopping for more than 20 min Laughing

A lot of these tips sound like the advice my mom gave when I was growing up Smile

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Cuddles wrote:
andaman_gypsy wrote:

Bump...I'm curious as well - I've never heard of co-washing (unless you mean showering with a friend Laughing Confused )...Do you mean using two products concurrently to get a better result? Or one after the other? Embarassed
Thanks!
puds
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Not sure, but I think it means conditionner washing? Seems to be popular but I still don't see how it can get your hair clean.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 7:22 am      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
Not sure, but I think it means conditionner washing? Seems to be popular but I still don't see how it can get your hair clean.

Unless you live in a dirty city or use tons of product on your hair it does work. I'm on a break form it at the moment but it really helped my itchy scalp

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
Cuddles wrote:
andaman_gypsy wrote:

Bump...I'm curious as well - I've never heard of co-washing (unless you mean showering with a friend Laughing Confused )...Do you mean using two products concurrently to get a better result? Or one after the other? Embarassed
Thanks!
puds

My first thought was the same as Puds, washing with a friend, and I thought "how the heck does that help your hair....special ingredient?" Laughing Then I realized she probably means coconut. Daniel mentioned putting coconut oil in his hair.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
It means "conditioner only" washing. You "wash" with a lightweight conditioner (ie Suave, White Rain) to loosen dirt, then rinse it out. You can then follow with a deeper conditioner to leave in. HTH.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 7:55 am      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
It means "conditioner only" washing. You "wash" with a lightweight conditioner (ie Suave, White Rain) to loosen dirt, then rinse it out. You can then follow with a deeper conditioner to leave in. HTH.

My hair would look like a matted mass of muck!
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
tsjmom wrote:

My hair would look like a matted mass of muck!

It could indeed depend on your hair type Marina. I have medium thick, very curly hair so it works for me. My hairdresser told me last time that my hair was in the best condition she's seen it in in 8yrs (this after only doing the co washing for < month). What's your hair type Marina?

Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 8:05 am      Reply with quote
I'm with Daniel here (if that's what he was referring to) regarding the conditioner wash.

I have used WEN and love the effects on my hair. It's an odd thing to NOT use a shampoo, habits ya know (I still reached for my glasses every morning for a year after having Lasik surgery).

If I do use a traditional shampoo/conditioner I have been doing something similar he does with coconut oil. I use a lotion bar after my shower before I get out. I always swipe the excess from my hands across my hair (it's cocoa butter based) and have found much more managable hair with less fly aways but not heavy or greasy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 8:13 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
helenzwl wrote:
there are great tips!
why never tan?

Because sunbathing causes skin damage. Have you not been paying attention helen?

i think i misunderstand your me!aning Rolling Eyes
if i wear sunblock, and tan, is is damage my skin? Embarassed
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2007 8:19 am      Reply with quote
helenzwl wrote:
guapagirl wrote:
helenzwl wrote:
there are great tips!
why never tan?

i think i misunderstand your me!aning Rolling Eyes
if i wear sunblock, and tan, is is damage my skin? Embarassed

I did misunderstand sorry. I take tanning to mean lying out in the sun trying to go brown. Even with broad spectrum sunscreen you do still go a bit brown especially if you live in a sunny place.

There is a discussion here about you can get sun damage even if you don't tan ...which is all too confusing for my small brain Smile

Sat May 04, 2024 10:52 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Clear Skin Relief Power Duo (40 ml) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) DeVita Solar Protect SPF 30 with Aloe-Hyplex (50 ml / 1.7 oz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |