Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Peptide Day Therapy (50 ml)
Fish oils/Omega oils question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
FrevaKZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Couldn't one just increase their intake of flax and coldwater fish instead of supplements?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
You could, it just depends on your particular needs. For me it's medication so it would be probably impossible to eat the amount of fish I need just from my diet. I do eat plenty of fish too.

For growing kids too you might want supplements as they grow so quick and often don't like fish or are fussy eaters.

If you're generally healthy then eating more fish should be fine. The only caution is that you shouldn't eat more than 2 portions of oily fish (UK guideline) a week because of the pollution in the sea...

The advantage of high quality supplements like Nordic Naturals and Morepa is they are highly purified and don't have any toxins in.

FrevaKZ wrote:
Couldn't one just increase their intake of flax and coldwater fish instead of supplements?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I eat 1-2 T of flax meal a day. I put it in cereals, all of my baked goods, stews, soups etc. Flax is not as effective it contains ALA which can be converted into the bioactive EPA and DHA but not so effectively by many people. Flax meal, however, gives you the oil and soluble fiber.

Fish oil is the best source of Omega 3s.

Also I would not take a 3-6-9 pill. Many people get way too much Omega 6; to take it in a pill is silly because it makes the pill bigger without giving you any benefit in fact likely the opposite. Omega 9 is good for you but a much better way to get it is to eat olive oil frequently. Increasing olive oil actually lowers LDL and it makes food taste really good (experiment with different kinds).
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:03 am      Reply with quote
Ginnielizzie:
Does the peach flavored fish oil prevent the fish breath I sometimes get from eating these pills? I always take them at night because it seems to go away within 8 hours.
dancar3
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Is the Nordic Naturals something you can pick up at a store or you have to order it from the internet? If you can get it at a store, which ones sell it? Thanks!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
dancar3 wrote:
Is the Nordic Naturals something you can pick up at a store or you have to order it from the internet? If you can get it at a store, which ones sell it? Thanks!

I purchase mine from health food stores (i.e. Whole Foods, etc).

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Nordic Naturals is a good brand. Other good ones are Carlson Lab Cod Liver Oil and Natural Factors Rx Omega3 Factors.
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
I eat 1-2 T of flax meal a day. I put it in cereals, all of my baked goods, stews, soups etc. Flax is not as effective it contains ALA which can be converted into the bioactive EPA and DHA but not so effectively by many people. Flax meal, however, gives you the oil and soluble fiber.

Fish oil is the best source of Omega 3s.

Also I would not take a 3-6-9 pill. Many people get way too much Omega 6; to take it in a pill is silly because it makes the pill bigger without giving you any benefit in fact likely the opposite. Omega 9 is good for you but a much better way to get it is to eat olive oil frequently. Increasing olive oil actually lowers LDL and it makes food taste really good (experiment with different kinds).

Thank you. That helps a lot.
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
I use Salba mostly now, it's quite good and has in addition to Omega 3, calcium tons of fibre and a lot of uses beats flax even...
http://www.sourcesalba.com/.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Reviving an old thread.

I went out to buy an Omega 3-6-9 supplement the other day before reading here that we get enough omega-6 already.

My question is though, there have been a lot of worries lately about mercury content in fish oils. Don't quote me because I can't remember where I've read this, but I do know that my mom like to parade around telling that to people.

Plus the facts here about flaxseed oil not being easily converted to active omega is disheartening! I was hoping that getting my bf to eat omegas would help with his ezcema! Now it seems I'll have to return that bottle I got.

Is what I heard about mercury content in fish oils true? Hopefully somebody that has done more research on this can chime in? Plus if I choose Flaxseed oil as an alternative, will that have enough of the omega-3 and 9 to be effective? I'm just assuming this but, I tend to think that people with eczema might have a harder time converting the flaxseed oil into useful omega components?
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Flaxseed meal has other benefits than just Omega 3s (e.g. soluble fiber) and it is something you eat (can mix in cereal, soups or any bake mix etc.). The oils are healthyeven if not the optimal form.

I use Carlson fish oil but have used other brands. Mercury problems are real but not so bad so as long as you stick with a reliable brand. food.gov.uk has a survey of supplements and only a handful had detectable levels of Mercury. The big brands (e.g. Solgar, GNC were clean, a surprise the detected level were in the supposed "Natural" brands). Even so, the amount detected in the brands they found mercury was so low you'd have to take 500 pills per day to reach the daily UK limit. There are huge benefits to taking fish oil (less MS, good skin, heart etc, etc).
System
Automatic Message
Sat May 18, 2024 2:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Hauschka Sensitive Care Conditioner (1 ml x 50 Amps) Bioelements Collagen Rehab Mask (50 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |