Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to steam face?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
How do you guys steam your faces for OCM or extractions? How long do you do it for?

In the past, I would do OCM after a steamy shower, but I am still not getting any gunk out like everyone else gets. I've tried experimenting with the oils, but at most if my face is flakey and peeling I might get some flakes but not the gunk in my pores. I read that steaming helps, but I want to do it right. Apparently a shower isn't enough?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
For me, shower steam isn't hot enough. I will lean over a pot of boiled (not boiling!) water with a towel over my head for 5-8 minutes.

I noticed this morning that the dishwasher is probably just as hot right after it's finished. =)
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:

I noticed this morning that the dishwasher is probably just as hot right after it's finished. =)

I noticed the same thing ... Laughing

I only steam for a couple of minutes ... 3 to 4 at most. I just can't stand/sit with my head over steam that long ... I get bored! Laughing

It might depend upon how oily or dry your face is naturally ... I tend to have more open pores ... and they don't seem to take as long to "open" as, perhaps, someone with drier skin.

I found that whether or not I got gunk out depended more on how long I massaged rather than how long I steamed. Very Happy

As for the shower ... I like hot showers ... and the bathroom gets pretty steamy when I'm having one ... so I found the shower helpful.

Again ... what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for everyone. My girlfriend steams her face for 10 minutes ... and that would drive me mad! Laughing

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
I steam my face once a week for 10-15 mins using one of those facial steamers. Much better than just putting boiling water in a bowl if you like to steam for longer. I don't do extractions though. The few times I tried in the past, I just made a mess of my face, so now I just wait for things to come out on their own.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
I don't do extractions though. The few times I tried in the past, I just made a mess of my face, so now I just wait for things to come out on their own.

Do you mean that it became inflammed by trying to extract it? That's what happens to me. I get impatient, and it always makes it worse unless I use my Zeno afterward.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
too many steam to the face is easy to make the pore large! i heard from a beauty assistance.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
helenzwl wrote:
too many steam to the face is easy to make the pore large! i heard from a beauty assistance.

I heard that as well, so I stopped my weekly steaming about a year ago and my pores appear to be smaller. I'm undecided whether my complexion looks better because I stopped steaming or started using different product Confused I swear, skincare is like art it's just soooo subjective Very Happy

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
helenzwl wrote:

Well, sorry ladies, I think that's a myth ... an old wives' tale. Laughing

The size of your pores depends upon heredity, skin type, whether or not they are clogged and your age. The older you are ... the larger your pores are in comparison to the size they were when you were young.

Your pores expand or contract on a daily basis according to the weather [if you're outside] and the temperature [if you're inside].

I don't for a minute believe that steaming in any way permanently increases pore size.

What's more, there is very little you can do to affect the size of your pores. If you keep them unclogged [clean] ... they will appear smaller, but it's an optical illusion.

The best you can hope for if you have large pores is to minimize them.

There are products that temporarily make the pores contract ... but again, that's illusion. By the same token, there are products that will accentuate your pores ... and those are the ones you want to avoid. Smile

You'd have to be able to show me scientific proof that steaming permanently affects the size of one's pore before I would buy that one!

I researched this fairly extensively at one point ... and my step-daughter [an esthetician] concurred with what I found.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
When the dishwasher's done running, open it up and stick your face right down in there...

(sorry couldn't help myself)
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
helenzwl wrote:

Well, sorry ladies, I think that's a myth ... an old wives' tale. Laughing

The size of your pores depends upon heredity, skin type, whether or not they are clogged and your age. The older you are ... the larger your pores are in comparison to the size they were when you were young.

Your pores expand or contract on a daily basis according to the weather [if you're outside] and the temperature [if you're inside].

I don't for a minute believe that steaming in any way permanently increases pore size.

What's more, there is very little you can do to affect the size of your pores. If you keep them unclogged [clean] ... they will appear smaller, but it's an optical illusion.

The best you can hope for if you have large pores is to minimize them.

There are products that temporarily make the pores contract ... but again, that's illusion. By the same token, there are products that will accentuate your pores ... and those are the ones you want to avoid. Smile

You'd have to be able to show me scientific proof that steaming permanently affects the size of one's pore before I would buy that one!

I researched this fairly extensively at one point ... and my step-daughter [an esthetician] concurred with what I found.

Mary

you said so reasonable, i can't say any more! Embarassed
but i think you are right!
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Just a reminder, for those who prone to broken cap, its better to stay away from steamer.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:
Diana P wrote:
I don't do extractions though. The few times I tried in the past, I just made a mess of my face, so now I just wait for things to come out on their own.

Do you mean that it became inflammed by trying to extract it? That's what happens to me. I get impatient, and it always makes it worse unless I use my Zeno afterward.

Yes, I don't know how to properly extract so I would just use my fingers and squeeze and all I'd ever do is end up with the whole area inflammed. I'd never be able to get anything out.

For about 6 months last year, I saw an esthetician every 4-6 weeks, and instead of steaming to open pores before extraction, she used a foam. She told me that steaming your face leaves it open to bacteria or something like that. Has anyone else ever heard that? I had two other facials before I saw her, and both of those ladies used the steam, and I must add, I went in with what I thought was clear skin and came out looking like I had chicken pox. With the girl that uses the foam, I always came out with no redness. Not sure if using the foam helped open the pores better than the steam or if it was just that she was able to do extractions alot better than the other girls.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Diana, I wonder what the foam was. Do you still go to this person?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Diane,

I've never heard about "steaming" leaving the face open to bacteria ... but most salons use that cool mist rather than steam from boiling water ... so she might be referring to that process.

When you use a steamer ... I would think that the boiling water would kill the bacteria ... until your face cools at any rate.

Bacteria can grow with incredible speed ...

That said ... I wonder what the foam was? I will email my step-daughter [who had the unmitgated nerve to move to PEI ... just because she was in love! Laughing ] and see if she knows.

That's an interesting result from the foam. Hmmmmmm. Laughing

Mary
Diana P wrote:
Yes, I don't know how to properly extract so I would just use my fingers and squeeze and all I'd ever do is end up with the whole area inflammed. I'd never be able to get anything out.

For about 6 months last year, I saw an esthetician every 4-6 weeks, and instead of steaming to open pores before extraction, she used a foam. She told me that steaming your face leaves it open to bacteria or something like that. Has anyone else ever heard that? I had two other facials before I saw her, and both of those ladies used the steam, and I must add, I went in with what I thought was clear skin and came out looking like I had chicken pox. With the girl that uses the foam, I always came out with no redness. Not sure if using the foam helped open the pores better than the steam or if it was just that she was able to do extractions alot better than the other girls.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
Diana, I wonder what the foam was. Do you still go to this person?

I haven't been back in about 6 months because I'm nursing a baby right now and it's hard to get away for any lenth of time. Plus I found EDS and lots of new products and I haven't felt the need for facials. I am planning on going back though soon though because I'm still trying to get rid of some blackheads from a bad experience with DHCC, so when I do I will ask her what she uses. If she sells it I may have pick some up.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Diana. Please let us know if you find out.

I've only had one professional facial and that was in January.

I'm finding good results in pore refinement and pore cleansing with my recently acquired stuff from NCN Pro Skincare - the 15% daily exfoliator and the 30% pumpkin peel.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2007 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
If she sells it I may have pick some up.

OR...maybe someone can whip up some Silken Foam. =)
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 7:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi Diana,

I just heard back from my step-daughter as to what that foam was ... here's Jenna's response:

"The lady you are speaking of probably had a Dr. Renaud facial, which is the line that I previously carried.

The foam (called Phyto-effervescence) is used in place of steam. It is very stimulating and really softens and opens the pores to facilitate extractions. It is really a unique product.

It feels as though your skin will be red when it is removed, due to the stimulation, however the skin isn't red at all.

It probably worked better for this lady due to the direct contact on the skin and definately the aesthetician may have been better at extractions as well that would be a judgment call on her part.

Anyways hope this helps or sheds some light on the "foam". "

So ... while the mystery is solved ... I'll bet this is only available to spas or professionals. Sad

Mary

Diana P wrote:

For about 6 months last year, I saw an esthetician every 4-6 weeks, and instead of steaming to open pores before extraction, she used a foam. She told me that steaming your face leaves it open to bacteria or something like that. Has anyone else ever heard that? I had two other facials before I saw her, and both of those ladies used the steam, and I must add, I went in with what I thought was clear skin and came out looking like I had chicken pox. With the girl that uses the foam, I always came out with no redness. Not sure if using the foam helped open the pores better than the steam or if it was just that she was able to do extractions alot better than the other girls.[/quote]

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Thank Mary, yes they were Dr Renaud's facials. I looked here on EDS but they don't have the foam. Last time I went in for a facial, even though she's not using Dr Renaud anymore, she still used the foam so next time I go in I'm going to ask her if it is possible to buy some. Probably not but it's worth a try.

Did your step-daughter say why she quit carrying Dr Renaud? I really liked it but it seems like hardly anyone uses it because I can hardly find any reviews on the products.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Diane,

Jenna loved the Dr. Renaud line ... and she used it when she had her own business here in Ontario.

However, she fell in love ... and moved down to PEI ... just to be near him! *sigh*

Anyway ... she no longer has her own business, but works as a Spa Supervisor at a golf course in Woodstock, PEI ... and they use a different line of products. [They sent her on a week's training course for the products they use.]

She's only just started working there in the last couple of weeks ... far too soon to start adding new product lines.

So she didn't stop selling/using Dr. Renaud because she didn't like them ... she's just not in a position to market them in her current position. Laughing

Mary

Diana P wrote:
Thank Mary, yes they were Dr Renaud's facials. I looked here on EDS but they don't have the foam. Last time I went in for a facial, even though she's not using Dr Renaud anymore, she still used the foam so next time I go in I'm going to ask her if it is possible to buy some. Probably not but it's worth a try.

Did your step-daughter say why she quit carrying Dr Renaud? I really liked it but it seems like hardly anyone uses it because I can hardly find any reviews on the products.

5% products discount

Thu May 31, 2007 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Re: facial steaming- is it always contraindicated for people with a tendency for broken capillaries?

Aestheticians in the past have steamed my face during the facial process, but that was when I had only a few broken capps. Now that I am older I find that I'm getting more of them, more frequently (I'm not a drinker or a smoker, but do have Type 2 diabetes) Yet I have large, gunky pores that OCM doesn't do anything for.

So is it OK to steam with this problem or is the prohibition an old wives tale?
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
iaimei wrote:
Just a reminder, for those who prone to broken cap, its better to stay away from steamer.

Do you think it's best to stay away from a hot wash cloth? Is any heat bad?
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
I'd think any heat would be bad. Anxious to see what others say.
kimberly
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2007 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Everyone is different ... with differing skin problems and varying results.

I don't have the problem with broken caps ... but if I did ... I would be very cautious about doing anything that might make the problem worse.

I would recommend that you do as much research on the Internet as you can ... particularly at the dermatology/medical type sites.

Good luck!

Mary

Yvetteski wrote:
Re: facial steaming- is it always contraindicated for people with a tendency for broken capillaries?

Aestheticians in the past have steamed my face during the facial process, but that was when I had only a few broken capps. Now that I am older I find that I'm getting more of them, more frequently (I'm not a drinker or a smoker, but do have Type 2 diabetes) Yet I have large, gunky pores that OCM doesn't do anything for.

So is it OK to steam with this problem or is the prohibition an old wives tale?

5% products discount

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:28 am      Reply with quote
I used to get facials from an esthetician who used this type of foam. She said my skin to dry for a steam. She only carried Babor, Decleor and Md formulations for sale. I do not think she had Dr Reanud at all.

I have been looking for this foam ever since as I can not be bother to sit over a bowl of boiled water (and she said it was damaging to my dry skin)

I think the different brands have this kind of foam and would love to get my hands on some.

hpjrt Would you be able to get an ingredient list from your stepdaughter for the DR Renaud foam? It would narrow my search some.

I have to add that my esthetician sold her salon. She was fantastic and got a great job offer. The homepage of the new owner only list md formulations and babor.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |