Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Help - Your favorite makeup base?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using the famous By Terry Apricot base for years, but for some reason, it started to make my makeup extremely cakey during the day. I basically need something to add radiance and hold my makeup in place thruout the day. I've been trying a few bases but they all make me break out - it's soooo hard to find a base without too many silicones. FYI, my skin is extremely sensitive and breakout prone. Help!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2007 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried the YSL one? I haven't actually purchased it as I hardly ever wear a makeup base. But I tried it out at the counter a few days ago and it was really nice.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 3:10 am      Reply with quote
I haven't used a primer myself, but my sister swears by Smashbox's primer. Unfortunately I can't find an ingredient list, so I don't know if it contains silicones. It comes in correcting colours (apricot, green and lilac) and regular. My sister uses the green one to help over redness in her face.
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 5:28 am      Reply with quote
Laura Mercier Primer is brillant and lasts for ages with or without make up it makes your skin realy silky
mishie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 6:21 am      Reply with quote
I have used Laura Mercier, Smashbox, Kevyn Aucoin and YSL.
I think the big difference in the effectiveness of the primer is what type of foundation is used.

The silicone based primers that dry to a mat finish work better with an oil based foundation whereas the creamier moisturizing primers work better with an oil free foundation.

I really do not like the KA at all it seems to make my pores more visible.

I also think that the Smashbox is a really good primer but I still keep going back to Laura Mercier everytime!!
rainbow_listic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 7:01 am      Reply with quote
i am of combination skin and very sensitive. so far, CoverMark Connecting Base works pretty well for me. its not thick at all nor make my makeup cakey any way.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 8:33 am      Reply with quote
should the primer and the foundation be the same brand?
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote
rainbow_listic wrote:
i am of combination skin and very sensitive. so far, CoverMark Connecting Base works pretty well for me. its not thick at all nor make my makeup cakey any way.

Rainbow, would you happen to have the full list of ingredients for the Covermark connecting base? Been interested in that one too.
rainbow_listic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 11:12 am      Reply with quote
FaithTruth ~ lucky i still have the box with me! LOL.. here are the full list of ingredients for the Covermark Connecting (btw, it is SPF38 PA+++):

Ingredients: Zinc Oxide
Titanium Dioxide
WATER
CYCLOPENTASIL QXANE
CYCLOMETHICONE
BUTYLENE GLYCOL
DIMETHICONE
GLYCOSYL TREHALOSE
PHYTOSTERYL/ISOSTEPIRYL DIMER
DILINOLEATE
PEG-10 DIMETHICONE
POLYMETHYL
METHACRYLATE
HYDROGENATED
STARCHHYDROLYSATE
OENOTHERA BIENNIS(EVENING PRIMROSE OIL)
ASCORBYL
TETRAISOPALMITATE
ANGELICAACUTILOBA ROOT EXTRACT
PEG-9DIMETHICONE
PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL
DIMETHICONE
HYDRATED SILICA
ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE
ALCOHOL
ALUMINUM DIMYRISTATE
TRIETHOXYSILYETHYL
POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL HEXYL DIMETHICONE
TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE1
VITIS VINIFERA(GRAPE)SEED OIL
TOCOPHERYL ACETATE
TOCOPHEROL
PHENOXYETHANOL
MICA
IRON OXIDES

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all, If one wears mmu what's your fav primer or base? Thanks
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Byterry's new foundation, (in a pen formulation, forget the name), is beautiful. Also, Too Faced and SKII air-touch is great as well. I like Cle de peau as well , but it can be a tad heavy for the summer months.
Snake
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 28, 2007 5:01 am      Reply with quote
Lola Moroney wrote:
Laura Mercier Primer is brillant and lasts for ages with or without make up it makes your skin realy silky

i agree.
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 28, 2007 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
I like Laura Mercier Primer too.
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2007 4:13 am      Reply with quote
LANEIGE - Triple Speedy Block SPF 32 PA++
Its made from Korea, it combines moisturising foundation with the benefits of SPF 32 double UV blocking protection, When I put on I dont feel oily and sticky..

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2007 9:50 am      Reply with quote
There is a secret to keeping your make-up intact. As soon as you wash your face with your favourite cleanser or soap and water, make sure that your skin is still "wet" and then apply the moisturizer immediately.
Then the make-up or whatever you want to put after that. For the break-outs, try to avoid fried foods --- they are not good at all. Eat lots of fresh fruits... also try water-based moisturizer not oil-based. This will help....
Cheers.

FaithTruth wrote:
I've been using the famous By Terry Apricot base for years, but for some reason, it started to make my makeup extremely cakey during the day. I basically need something to add radiance and hold my makeup in place thruout the day. I've been trying a few bases but they all make me break out - it's soooo hard to find a base without too many silicones. FYI, my skin is extremely sensitive and breakout prone. Help!
lovelyjane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Cle de Peau has pretty good primers.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:33 am      Reply with quote
nomoreneckpain wrote:
Hi all, If one wears mmu what's your fav primer or base? Thanks

That's a real good question! Anyone have an opinion? I like Sofina Lucent personally.
fawnie

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Are you supposed to put the primer OVER your moisturizer - or instead of? That part confuses me.
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
FaithTruth wrote:
it's soooo hard to find a base without too many silicones. FYI, my skin is extremely sensitive and breakout prone. Help!

I love Smashbox Photo Finish but it's choc full of silicones. Other fav is Shiseido smoothing veil SPF 16. I don't have the box, so I'm not sure if it contains silicone. It's super velvety, but not "slippery" like the Smashbox. Lorac makes a nice one too.
christine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Cle de peau is so far my fav bast, it has spf too.
Laura mercier base was too oily for me (the normal one), I havent tried the oil free one though.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
I have the Laura Mercier oil-free primer. Even though I have dry skin, I'm breakout prone and have oily t-zone. The oil-free primer dries my skin out a bit, but I like it because it lasts all day, and provides a smooth finish. No oil slick on my nose, either! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
I would really like to hear more about this Covermark Connecting Base!

Where did you buy it? How much was it? Can you get samples? Does it leave a white-ish cast (given the TD & ZO in it). Does it leave your skin matte? Fill-in pores? Help with oilies? Do I ask enough questions in one paragraph? (hee).

Thanks!
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:02 am      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
I have the Laura Mercier oil-free primer. Even though I have dry skin, I'm breakout prone and have oily t-zone. The oil-free primer dries my skin out a bit, but I like it because it lasts all day, and provides a smooth finish. No oil slick on my nose, either! Very Happy

Sorry, I need to correct my post. I have the LM creme primer, not oil-free. Still, I find it light and fresh, not heavy or greasy at all.

amylola wrote:
Are you supposed to put the primer OVER your moisturizer - or instead of? That part confuses me.

amylola, I would think the primer would be the last step before using foundation, so yes, I would put it on AFTER moisturizer. I have found, though, that if the moisturizer is oily (like emu oil), you have to allow time for it get absorbed.

So, having purchased the LM oil-free tinted moisturizer (which really acts like a sheer foundation), what to do? The SA at Nordstrom's applied it to my face in this order: primer, tinted moisturizer, clear powder. I thought about it later, and decided to try in this order: tinted moisturizer, primer (pat on lightly), no powder. It worked great for me, makeup lasted all day. I would be interested in other people's thoughts on this.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:53 am      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
nadjazz wrote:

Sorry, I need to correct my post. I have the LM creme primer, not oil-free. Still, I find it light and fresh, not heavy or greasy at all.

amylola wrote:

amylola, I would think the primer would be the last step before using foundation, so yes, I would put it on AFTER moisturizer. I have found, though, that if the moisturizer is oily (like emu oil), you have to allow time for it get absorbed.

So, having purchased the LM oil-free tinted moisturizer (which really acts like a sheer foundation), what to do? The SA at Nordstrom's applied it to my face in this order: primer, tinted moisturizer, clear powder. I thought about it later, and decided to try in this order: tinted moisturizer, primer (pat on lightly), no powder. It worked great for me, makeup lasted all day. I would be interested in other people's thoughts on this.

I use both LM primers: oil free and moisturizing. Interestingly, even though I tend toward dry skin, I think I prefer the oil free.

Yes, you use it after moisturizer, unless you're using tinted moisturizer. The tinted moisturizer is makeup, basically. You want the primer to prepare the skin to hold and provide a good canvas for makeup. Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:20 am      Reply with quote
So if I use moisturizer (Dr. H) and then the primer, then the TM or foundation, would I also need powder? Is the primer supposed to make your face less greasy/shiny?
I find lately that I don't like the look of powder, I think it's making me look older! That dewy fresh look is what I am trying to acheive. I find that if I pat my face with a tissue to absorb the oils after the foundation or TM - it looks perfect with no need for powder.
System
Automatic Message
Sat May 04, 2024 6:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) DeVita Solar Protect SPF 30 with Aloe-Hyplex (50 ml / 1.7 oz) Skin Biology Super Cop Skin Remodeling Cream - Large (113.4 g / 4 oz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |