Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Another soul confused about suncreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
All right, so I've been reading through the posts on sunscreens and I think I'm more confused now than I was when I started.

I understand the difference between physical and chemical sunscreens and it seems the jury's out on which is better. But I read somewhere that if you use mmu with physical sunscreens over your chemical sunscreens, one cancels out the other. Is this true or am I misinformed?

I'm thinking of getting the Neutrogena Age Shield with helioplex, but now I'm not so sure. I wear mmu everyday, so should I go for something like the DDF Organic sunblock, which is a physical sunscreen?

Or am I overthinking it? Embarassed
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
I think that MMU only degrades avobenzone which is found in many chemical sunscreens. So I guess all you need to do is just choose a chemical sunscreen (if you want to go that root) that doesn't have that active ingredient in it. It's also called Parsol xxxx (I don't remember the exact number in the name).

HTH
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
So can somebody tell me if it's okay to wear La Roche Posay with MMU? Or does one make the other disintegrate? Really want to know. TIA
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:44 am      Reply with quote
LRP has avobenzone in it too. You'll find alot of euro sunscreens do.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:50 am      Reply with quote
I believe most if not all chemical S/S have it. It has about three names Parsol 1789, Avobenzone...forgot the third.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:11 am      Reply with quote
donnababe wrote:
I believe most if not all chemical S/S have it. It has about three names Parsol 1789, Avobenzone...forgot the third.

Yes, it's hard to find a sunscreen, chemical one, that doesn't have avobenzone in it.

Does anyone know why MMU degrades avobenzone?

I've been using moisturizers with chemical sunscreens in them for a long time under mmu. But I just found on my dresser a bottle of fairly new Oil of Olay Complete moisturizer with spf 15. It's zinc oxide! Perhaps I will try that under my makeup today.
elsaanna
5% products discount

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Is there any reason to think regular makeup would be safe with avobenzone? Mostly it has the same pigments, iron oxides, etc., that MMU has. I've gotten very avobenzone-phobic, but I think I might be overdoing it.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:55 am      Reply with quote
elsaanna wrote:
Is there any reason to think regular makeup would be safe with avobenzone? Mostly it has the same pigments, iron oxides, etc., that MMU has. I've gotten very avobenzone-phobic, but I think I might be overdoing it.

Well, I'm not giving up my mmu.

My Oil of Olay, I discovered AFTER applying it, has been expired since March. oh well! Laughing

I think I'm going to go the route of using a chemical sunscreen on my body, namely my arms, and finding a nice physical one for my face. Has anyone used the DDF one I mentioned initially? it has micronized zinc and Titanium dioxide-- seems like it'd be a good choice.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:03 am      Reply with quote
Argh. Now, what about the La Roche Posay products-- I noticed they contain both avobenzone and titanium dioxide. Does this make it both a physical and chemical sunscreen?
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:57 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
Argh. Now, what about the La Roche Posay products-- I noticed they contain both avobenzone and titanium dioxide. Does this make it both a physical and chemical sunscreen?

If avobenzone and titanium dioxide can co-exist in a product that means no such thing as both cancel each other out or one degrades the other? I have been using La Roche Posay SS for some time now and I am happy with it.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Violetanne, I've not used DDF but have heard good things about it.

It's my understanding the La Roche Posay S/S are considered chemical S/S's.
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:53 am      Reply with quote
All I can say is that I'm using Elizabeth Arden Extreme Conditioning Cream SPF 15 (which I have been lucky to get two in a row of at TJMaxx, so don't anyone go to "my" TJMaxx as there usually is only one there!!!) on days that I wear MMU. I reserve the LRP for my throat, chest and hands. On less "important" days I use my Shiseido tinted moisturizer SPF 15 with nothing else. But walking around those wonderful northern Italian towns and cities (love Verona with Juliet's balcony!) in the sun all day, I came home with some tan on my face. Just a hint of one. I was surprised because in Chicago this never happens. This reminds me of how I got my first age spots on my hands when I was 35 and spent 2 weeks in Miami Beach not knowing anything about SPF. Sad to say they are still with me (lots of other skin stuff now, too, not all from the sun, at least I don't think so). But I think it is very important to gauge not only how long you are in the sun, but how strong the sun is in southern parts and take this into account. Anyone care to comment on this?
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:34 am      Reply with quote
It's this particular sunscreen I was referring to : http://www.essentialdayspa.com/la-roche-posay---antherpo-p_6089.htm

It must be good as it's out of stock on EDS. It's good point, though, that if titanium dioxide can co-exist with avobenzone, than they really can't 'cancel' each other out.

Existensial lady, you have a good point also. You should wear appropriate protection for what kind of environment you're in. Obviously,the sun will be more penetrating in AZ than MI. But we do know that UVA can penetrate clouds, so it's always important to have something on. This is just something I've come to realize. I've got some slight sun damage on my left arm from driving. And I'm only 25. So I'm not taking any chances. My boyfriend thinks I'm nuts slathering on spf 50 before we get in the car but hey I don't want an unwrinkly face at 50 but wrinkly arms!
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:14 am      Reply with quote
So I ended up, over the weekend, getting Clinque City Block Sheer spf 25 for sensitive skin. It is a physical sunscreen-- Titanium Dioxide 7.30%, Zinc Oxide 6.9%. I haven't used it on my face yet, but on my hand it went on smooth and dried un-shiny, and it's fragrance free. It's supposed to absorb excess oil, etc. They were out of the 40, which I would rather have had. This one cost me $17.

This was my very first trip to the Clinque counter! The SA looked confused when I told her I wanted a physical rather than chemical sunscreen. She just said, "Ok...." She said she used City Block and though she was pale, she looked like she'd just baked a cake and the flour landed on her face...
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |