Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
A ghost wants to have human complexion again!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
puma7
5% products discount

Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Before you start giving me psyhic`s phone numbers, I will explain: I just bought a physical Z-cote sunscreen.Thats right, the formula that is supposedly "transparent". Well...it is not.When I went out to the shops, half the people were staring and the other half were avoiding me and I found out why when my boyfriend said: Hello, Grim Death !Strangest thing : when I entered a darkened room and looked in the mirror, the white cast effect was more obvious. The criminal: Obagi C Sunguard SPF30 killed even my already very pale complexion.So even though I hate chemical sunscreens, I`d rather be greasy than...undead?

Am I the only person that had the above experience?And what does a sunscreen have to have to deserve the name? Personally I am looking for ,in order of importance, :

1.transparent texture

2.best UVA protection (Can only be achieved with Zinc Oxide,Z-cote(a form of Zinc Oxide),Titanium Oxide or STABILISED avobenzone (also called Parsol) .)

3.best UVB protection

1 & 2 seem to exclude one another in physical sunscreens, so only Avobenzone,chemical sunblock, remains.This ingredient however is WORTHLESS if not stabilised with for example Octocrylene(another chemical).
Phew!
Chemistry was never my favourite subject,I just dont want to be wrinkly when Im 55 - a dream I think most of you share.But looking dead ,even if wrinkle free,is not an option.

I have pale combination skin, from Sunscreens I have also tried and have doubts about :
-Decleor Ecran Haute Protection SPF 20 - found it very shiny and greasy-LOOKing even though it doesnt FEEL greasy, it balls under m-up;

-Dermalogica Solar Defense Booster- this one had good texture , but is avobenzone stabilised
here (and with what?)or does it just dissolve on the skin within 30 min??I have my doubts.

Tried mixing Obagi with L`oreal Cashmere foundation - didnt work -still very white look.

Any help/comment very much appreciated!

P.S.
...or I might start haunting you.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Puma7,

The problem you describe is very common with sunscreens that use titanium and zinc as active ingredients. I also just completed a similar search and trial and this is what I recommend.

The Japanese sunscreens are hands down superior in terms of texture and cosmetic niceness. So you would be safe to try any of them - Sofina, Kose - whatever you can find. I'm a Canadian who is living in Japan, and my neighbour tells me the women here are VERY fussy about what they put on there face. Also, many of them have sensitive skin, so they do have great formulas that use zinc - except here, it's micronized zinc oxide that is superfine, and does not leave a white cast.

This is what I recommend
Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++

Active Ingredients:octinoxate 7.4%, zinc oxide 13.9%

As you can see the zinc oxide percentage is quite high, yet this totally sinks into the skin and does not leave a white cast. If you have combination or oily skin, choose this one, if you have drier skin, you can try the cream version. I've posted this many times so I apologize to those who keep reading the same thing Confused but I have very fair skin, and my freckles don't even appear when I use this, and makeup can be applied afterwards very smoothly if you wish.

Let me know if this works for you!

My search began with the Dermalogica Solar Booster (b/c of the texture) but this is not photostable. Other highly recommended ones are La Roche Posay, but I hear many complaint they are greasy - European formulas in general are very greasy. Good Luck.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
The new La Roche Posay Fluide Extreme sunblocks are not greasy at all (IMHO). They are very liquidy in consistency and leaves no whitecast on me (median asian skintone). You can find fluide extreme on ebay and various european websites, not available in us or canada yet. There are a few us websites that have these but are charging way too much...
puma7
5% products discount

Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Colleen I have tried 14% physical sunscreen Shiseido SPF 50 on my forearm and it left white mark maybe because my forearm is dry ??-

Please help

(I dont use body lotion.)
Its strange,I am very pale (ivory pale though with some warm tones coming through) and I thought people wont notice the whiteness of the sunscreen on my pale skin..but they do! Embarassed

Id love to try Sofina SPF 50 ....but its out of my reach for the moment - if anyone on here travels between Japan and Europe (UK , London in particular) I would be obliged !! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Puma7, I just responded to your other post. And I just tried the sunscreen on my (dry) arm and it totally sinks into my skin!!! Typically it's the heavier, creamy sunscreens that leave a cast, like DDF Organic.

I just want to make sure we are talking about the same one. It's the blue bottle Lotion, not cream (the cream is a little thicker, although it does sink into my skin totally).

The sofina is also a milk but I'm not sure how much finer it is than the shiseido. You can find it online (strawberry.net) but I'm not sure that they have the latest versions.

What type of skin do you have? oily? dry? I'll look next time I go out and see if they have samples. This stuff can get expensive it you have to pay for shipping.

Colleen

http://www.shiseido.co.jp/e/suncare/html/protection1.htm
clin1202
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
The Z-cote zinc oxide DOES leave a white cast, it's NOT "transparent" like they claim. Also, the Obagi would make you look ghostly because the zinc oxide content is high, 9%. I tried the Obagi Healthy Skin Defense SPF 35, and it left a white cast as well, even though I have light skin. I would say stay away from high % of physical sunscreen ingredients.
crinklecut
5% products discount

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
puma7,

LOL! I could really relate to your cadaver dilemma. I, too, switched from chemical to physical sunblockers with the "mask of death" zinc look--but realized just how ghoulishly hideous my face really was when I saw a photo of myself taken with a *flash* camera--total white-out to the 100th power! I switched to La Roche Posay Anthelios 60 Fluide Extreme (or whatever it's called), but found that it left me greasy looking in no time after application--I have an oily T-zone. But hey, guess what? I found an alternative. If you're into wearing foundation, you might want to try Shiseido Liquid Foundation SPF 42 instead of hassling with the zinc-for-zombies physical sunscreens. It provides chemical free sun protection and color all in one product. SLF goes on light, smooths pores, and looks flawless--check out the rave reviews on MakeUp Alley.

Rise, Lazarus!

crinklecut
puma7
5% products discount

Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:28 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for posting this ,crinkle cut!
I am pale but still a foundation is worth a try - I will try this ! Smile

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |