Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Review: ALMOST a RAVE: Bioderma photoderm AR tinted SS 50
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hello All,

As you all know, I've been experimenting with different European sunscreens lately. After the many raves about the new and improved Avene Emulsion formulations, I tried diligently to get my skin to agree with them, but my skin was constantly congested, and I still felt like I was wearing a sticky film on my skin that attracted all the dirt from the streets of Paris to my skin.

So, I decided to buy a bunch of ss and test them out.

First off was Galenic (all tinosorbs) Extreme High protection SS, and secondly was Vichy Capital soleil 50+ (mexoryls), which was supposed to dry fast to leave a light, matte appearance to the skin. the Galenic sunscreen, while ostensibly an excellent formulation, felt exactly like the Avene on my skin: if I ran my hand across my face, it would "drag" against the sunscreen film (yuk!). The Vichy sunscreen, ironically, left my skin shinier than ever and never did seem to "dry." Neither were particularly irritating.

But THEN I picked a winner: Bioderma Photoderm AR tinted sunscreen for sensitive skin:

http://www.parasolder.com/parapharmacie/bioderma/bioderma-photoderm-ar-creme-teinte-naturelle-peaux-sensibles-reactives-spf-50-30ml-/product_info.php/products_id/34978

formerly called "Flush teintee," this sunscreen has recently been reformulated and now is targeted toward sensitive, pre-rosacea or rosacea skins. So it will not irritate, and after four days of wearing it, my skin has COMPLETELY cleared up from the Avene mess it was dealing with for over a month. The tint is light and creamy, but does not leave the skin looking at all opaque. In fact, Bioderma sunscreens are known for leaving the skin with a nice "glow," and the Photoderm AR is no exception. I love that it just evens out my skin tone ever so slightly.

It has a very nice slip, not too oily, not too creamy, not too gel-like, and does not leave the skin too shiny. I normally cannot leave the house without powder over my sunscreen, and with this one I don't have to use powder over it.

The BEST part about this sunscreen is the shape of the bottle--like a little rectangle, it lays flat in the hand, so it is VERY portable, even in the smallest of purses. We all know we have to reapply ss often (and most of us do NOT) so I'm going to keep one at home and one in my purse at all times--just in case I decide to have a late picnic lunch outside after an entire morning of studying in the library, for example!

The only drawback to this sunscreen is one that I'm not 100% convinced about--that is, the fact that you are NOT supposed to wear any makeup over it, as it is avobenzone-based (although photostabilized by tinosorbs). apparently, the active ss ingredients will break down if they have any contact with minerals. BUT there are iron oxides and titanium.zinc oxide IN this particular ss, so I'm thoroughly confused as to how that would preclude me from dusting a bit more on top... As well, avobenzone is a controversial ingredient in itself, since according to some people, it's inherently damaging to skin cells, and it penetrates the corneal layers. But that is only one side of the argument, so hopefully they're wrong! Smile

I would HIGHLY recommend this sunscreen to anyone I know: I give it 5 stars!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Congrats on finding a suitable sunscreen! On the issue of make up degrading avobenzone, I read somewhere that make up with microionized minerals (zinc oxide, titanium dioxide) are OK to use with avobenzone-based sunscreens. Has anyone found a good source of such make up? I thought that Jane Iredale mineral make up has microionized minerals, so should be "safer" to use.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for a great review avalange. i might try the bioderma one of these days if i can get myself to leave sunkiller and sofina.

i tried DHC's new sunscreen which is supposed to be light (since it is a japanese brand), and i am sure it is, but because i am so used to the watery texture of sofina/sunkiller, i totally felt like my face was being weighed down.

~Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:02 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Congrats on finding a suitable sunscreen! On the issue of make up degrading avobenzone, I read somewhere that make up with microionized minerals (zinc oxide, titanium dioxide) are OK to use with avobenzone-based sunscreens. Has anyone found a good source of such make up? I thought that Jane Iredale mineral make up has microionized minerals, so should be "safer" to use.

mlrox, you rock! My powder has MICRONIZED MINERALS, yay! Now I can fearlessly face the world with matte sunscreen skin. I don't use mmu, but I use translucent powder over my t-zone, and I LOVE Julie Hewitt's ora mineral powder. Here are the specs:

Just to be on the safe side, I'll wait a while before daring to powder my nose after I apply ss.

I'm not a real powder aficionado, so I'm not sure about coverage and the fine-ness of the particles, but this powder works well for me, and has lots of goodies in it as well.www.juliehewett. net. Her makeup is extraordinarily fun to use and to play with, there is an epic thread singing all he praises on EDS--it literally went on and on for 20 pages, I think!

--avalange

p.s. to kristen--you would HATE the euros, unfortnately--they ALL make your skin sticky and tacky, just bioderma less so. But you might want to think about switching, have you read the sofina sunkiller threads? I'm almost positive that those ss have very low ppds...

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:37 am      Reply with quote
I wouldn't use Sofina if I need to face the hot sun outdoors. I read that some girls noticed more freckles when using this sunscreen, I don't think it's protective enough.

Avalange: your powders sound good! Do they tone down the shine on the sunscreen significantly?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi avalange,

Yes, i was the one who started a lot of those sunkiller/sofina threads. the low ppd is the reason i would want to make a switch. it's just too hard though! Neutral

~K

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
avalange

Have you tried bioderma's Photoderm MAX Lait SPF 50 PPD 35?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
avalange

Have you tried bioderma's Photoderm MAX Lait SPF 50 PPD 35?

hi,

yes, i like it a lot! I really enjoy all of Bidoerma's ss, even though they are avobenzone-based. I just used their bio ss on the beach on my body--the sun was VERY strong and I got a medium tan after three days--although, I never ever burn.
On my face, I used the photoderm: today, still ghastly, wintry white. Nice!

I prefer the photoderm because it is slightly tinted, is a bit less shiny than the max, and is a nice purse-size.

--avalange

yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks avalange--- I'm wanting to purchase bioderma's s/s, as a member here posted a website offering really cheap bioderma and avene s/s (i cant remember who Embarassed )

By the way, what skin type do you have?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Hey Avalange - Are you still using this Bioderma SS or have you moved on to something better?

I did make the switch to a Euro SS this summer since I have been experimenting with peels and retinol as you know. I am almost finished with my bottle of La Roche Posay Anthelios Fluide Extreme XL spf 60, Pdd something (i forget). I really did like it for a euro ss, it is milky, watery fluide that spreads like a dream (similar to sunkiller/sofina) but doesn't dry completely matte.

I am looking for another SS, anyone have any suggestions for a similar textured SS or should i just stick to LRP?

Thanks! Kris

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kris! If the Bioderma tinted s/s is the one I think avalange is talking about (it's available a skincarecentral dot biz), it is extremely dark. Correct me if I'm wrong avalange.

I do like the Bioderma Fluide and Avene Fluide, both available from the above website (Kathleen is great about emails and highly knowledgeable). However, I have found my HG of HG s/s, but I'm too afraid to tell you b/c I don't want it to sell out! JK Laughing

The SVR 50 s/s is 100% physical, spf 50, ppd 20, and is tinted to perfection for me. It leaves a gorgeous finish! I don't need to wear concealer with this. The only downside is it's expensive ($35), but it does so many things. You can order samples to try. If you do, let me know what you think. HTH Smile

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
SVR??? What brand is that? Thanks...
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi tjsmom,

I think the one Avalange reviewed is a special formulation for those with rosacea/sensitive skin. I don't believe it's tinted.

and oh no! are you saying the Bioderma tinted cream is really dark??? it's this one: http://www.frenchcosmeticsforless.com/proddetail.php?prod=6084&cat=112 i just took a plunge and ordered it off of frenchcosmeticsforless.com from your review for the bioderma photomax fluide along with my LRP Anthelios Fluide Extreme since shipping was free over a certain amount.

I think i can still cancel in time though, please let me know if i ordered one that is too dark, i am actually quite fair skinned so that would be bad!

Kris

tsjmom wrote:
Hi Kris! If the Bioderma tinted s/s is the one I think avalange is talking about (it's available a skincarecentral dot biz), it is extremely dark. Correct me if I'm wrong avalange.

I do like the Bioderma Fluide and Avene Fluide, both available from the above website (Kathleen is great about emails and highly knowledgeable). However, I have found my HG of HG s/s, but I'm too afraid to tell you b/c I don't want it to sell out! JK Laughing

The SVR 50 s/s is 100% physical, spf 50, ppd 20, and is tinted to perfection for me. It leaves a gorgeous finish! I don't need to wear concealer with this. The only downside is it's expensive ($35), but it does so many things. You can order samples to try. If you do, let me know what you think. HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
SVR??? What brand is that? Thanks...

It's its own brand I guess...Here is the link:

http://www.skincarecentral.biz/suncreen-SVR50B.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
That is the one Kristin. I ordered a sample of it this summer and it was very, very dark. If you can't send it back, you could always mix it w/ a moisturizer. Do order a sample of the SVR 50 and let me know what you think. BTW I'm very fair myself and I think it's perfection!

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi tjsmom!

I emailed frenchcosmetics to cancel my order so hopefully that goes through and placed an order for the SVR SS as you recommended. Hopefully I will like the finish. Smile

I am a little jazzed to be going for an all physical SS since it seems like a general consensus here that chemical SS provide better UVA protection. But after surfing the net and reading about the breakdown of chemical blockers in prolonged sun exposure, i am going the physical route.

the links that scared me are here if anyone is interested:

http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1550055903/m/7570078384

http://www.skinbiology.com/toxicsunscreens.html

I actually haven't finished reading the second link yet.

Kris Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Keep me posted Kris!

skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:18 am      Reply with quote
I certainly am tjsmom! Can't wait til it comes Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
The AKN 30 is also very good for oily skin.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
I have bought and used the Bioderma lait spf50 and hated it. Used it in HK and made my skin breakout. It was very sticky and made my skin super oily too.
However, I cannot 100% blame the Bioderma for my breakouts, as I used the DDF organic sunblock (which didnt use to break me out) and broke out from it. Its not as oily as Bioderma though. I think the weather was a major factor cos it was so hot, humid and polluted.

I shared the s/s with my mum. She has normal skin and too said that it was really greasy and sticky.

During the last few days of my stay in HK, I didnt even use s/s as I couldnt stand having 2-3 new spots on my face every day.
Even coming back to the UK, I dont use s/s, in case I get more acne, so I just put a layer of MMU.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |