Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Informed forum members-your opinion
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lbianca
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
about growth factors?
There seem to be some opinions that they are dangerous and carcinogenic. On the other hand, there are companies like ReVive (which I really want to try) and JM has a few products with TGF beta-1 and skin actives that sell growth factors.

So, what do you say?

here's a link someone posted at MUA.

Question
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ibianca, I'm not too informed but I do pay attention to ingredients. While I'm not prone to quit using a product just because of the most recent scientific studies, [I still use DMAE and parabens/silicone don't really bother me] I'm uncomfortable with the idea of growth hormones in my skincare product just as I'm uncomfortable with GMO's in my good. For something like this I prefer to take a wait and see approach.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
youngrace
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
finally something i know about, haha! okay, well, there's a really fine line. why do cancer cells secrete tgf-beta? because it--among other growth factors--are important for its growth and proliferation. it's not that too much tgf-beta CAUSES cancer, per se, but just that cancer cells produce a lot of it themselves, so as to induce angiogenesis, etc., at the expense of surrounding cells who perhaps don't produce as many growth factors. if your cells are healthy, then adding tgf-beta in theory would help them proliferate and grow faster = good. on the flip side, more cell divisions = a higher probability for mutations, since mutations mainly occur during the dna synthesis stage and a subsequent stage, mitosis. on the flip flip side, if you have cells with a significant amount of mutations, then adding tgf-beta may not be the best choice since you don't know if you're actually helping your healthy cells or your cancer-prone cells.

but anyway, the bottom line is cancer cells produce a lot of tgf-beta because it allows a cell to be "well-fed" and grow faster as a result. if your cells are healthy, then adding tgf-beta will help them proliferate. if your cells are unhealthy (depending on amount of uv exposure, your personal history, genetics, etc.), then proliferation might lead to an increase in your chances of developing cancer.

okay, that's it. geez; sorry so long! Laughing
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:19 am      Reply with quote
So if your skin is healthy and doesn't have any polyps etc, then it would be OK to use it?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I'm wary of growth factors because we aren't talking about nutrients for the skin, but actually involving ourselves directly with cellular communication.

youngrace,

Macrophages and keratinocytes will secrete growth factors to speed in wound repair right? Do you think your body might build a resistance to growth factors if you use them for a long period of time? Then when you stop, whatever amount of growth factors your body is producing on its own isn't able induce much of a response in the target cells?
lbianca
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
youngrace wrote:
finally something i know about, haha! okay, well, there's a really fine line. why do cancer cells secrete tgf-beta? because it--among other growth factors--are important for its growth and proliferation. it's not that too much tgf-beta CAUSES cancer, per se, but just that cancer cells produce a lot of it themselves, so as to induce angiogenesis, etc., at the expense of surrounding cells who perhaps don't produce as many growth factors. if your cells are healthy, then adding tgf-beta in theory would help them proliferate and grow faster = good. on the flip side, more cell divisions = a higher probability for mutations, since mutations mainly occur during the dna synthesis stage and a subsequent stage, mitosis. on the flip flip side, if you have cells with a significant amount of mutations, then adding tgf-beta may not be the best choice since you don't know if you're actually helping your healthy cells or your cancer-prone cells.

but anyway, the bottom line is cancer cells produce a lot of tgf-beta because it allows a cell to be "well-fed" and grow faster as a result. if your cells are healthy, then adding tgf-beta will help them proliferate. if your cells are unhealthy (depending on amount of uv exposure, your personal history, genetics, etc.), then proliferation might lead to an increase in your chances of developing cancer.

okay, that's it. geez; sorry so long! Laughing

Well, that's a lot of help Razz

No, it really does help and you seem to know a lot about it. On some other board people said that when they put it on the skin indiscriminantly, their moles (existing ones) started growing Shock

So, how do I know that my skin is "healthy"????
So, my next question is, if I "bypass" the small mole I have on my face (I have only one), is it "safe"?
Pilar
5% products discount

Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if I qualify as "informed," but I really don't see any problem with products that include growth factors. They aren't there in high enough concentration to cause any problems.
lbianca
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I got scared because I use JM's transformation serum and really like it. TGF beta is one of the ingredients.
Also, ReVive has all kinds of growth factors in their products.

What I don't understand is that all these products are FDA approved Confused
youngrace
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
rmb, you're absolutely right. it's not really providing nutrients for the skin so much as providing somewhat of a "nutrient recruiting" factor, if you will. Smile

hmmm...well, there can be gfr (growth factor receptor) fatigue. receptors are internalized after the ligand binds, which /generally/ leads to the receptor being sorted in the cytoplasm and then recycled back to the membrane. however, there are cases where constant stimulation of a receptor leads it to be internalized indefinitely. there are lots of studies investigating this, but none (as far as i know) that have come to a definite conclusion as of yet.

again, it's really difficult to know if you really have "healthy" cells or not. even if your cells are healthy to start with, applying TOO much growth factor might speed up the rate of proliferation a wee bit too much, which can lead to faster accumulation of mutations. just my two cents, but i think the concentration of any product on the market can't be TOO ridiculously high...but then again, i really have no idea. to evade the rf thing, i guess i would apply gf in cycles, so as to minimize growth factor fatigue. hmmm...and if you already have moles or polyps on your face, i guess it wouldn't be smart to apply growth factor to those--i'm not surprised that they would grow (i mean, they named it GROWTH factor, after all!).

i'm not a doctor or anything ... just a disclaimer, this is only what i know and am rattling off the top of my head. hopefully it isn't too confusing!
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:59 am      Reply with quote
lbianca wrote:
I got scared because I use JM's transformation serum and really like it. TGF beta is one of the ingredients.
Also, ReVive has all kinds of growth factors in their products.

What I don't understand is that all these products are FDA approved Confused

I am scared too... Confused I just order JM product ..
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the reply youngrace! It's much appreciated. Very Happy
SunRose
5% products discount

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Hello!
I rarely have much to say on this board, but I wanted to let you know that I have been on Revive for a year. I have used their $600.00 product (two run throughs), as well as their $1500.00 product (two run throughs as well) called Peau Magnifique.

I have noticed NO difference in my skin, or growth in the areas I was hoping to build up (nasal labial folds!).

I have also used ALL of their other products (have spent many thousands) and I have seen no difference at all. I honestly thought the HGF would help me but alas, not a bit.

I hope this helps somewhat in your decision making process.

Blessings...
lbianca
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Thanks SunRose. I really wanted to try 2 or 3 ReVive products that got really good reviews - The eye renewal cream, revive sensitif lotion and the serum protectif. I was willing to pay once to try as long as they didn't cause damage and now I'm afraid to try Crying or Very sad
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Ibianca, I've used some of the ReVive products, too - though a long time ago. I have to agree with SunRose; I didn't find they did much either.

If you still decide to give growth factors a try, maybe you'd want to look into SkinMedica's Nouricel-MD products. I don't have any experience with them, as I'm not ready to go back into growth factors, but SkinMedica products get good reviews here. Also, they're cheaper than ReVive.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |