Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Clear Skin Relief Power Duo (40 ml) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz)
Undereye Concealer?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have recently developed dark undereye shadows, all the females in my family have these so I know I have inherited that gene.
So far I have been using MAC Studio Finish Concealer to cover them but am looking for something that has better lasting power and is not as 'cakey'.
I have also tried Touche Eclait but the whole light reflecting thing made my shadows look worse and this did zero to cover them.
The shadows I am trying to cover are blue/purple so I look like I have 2 black eyes in the morning!!

I would love any recs for a drugstore concealer similar to the MAC Studio Finish but better if that is possible.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
I like the ease and quickness of L'Oreal's Qwick Stick. Its foundation and concealer in one and goes on like velvet. You can buy just about anywhere makeup is sold.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with the MAC one you mentioned, but I use Revlon Colorstay undereye concealer and I love it. I don't know if you use a primer but I definitely apply primer under my eyes before concealer even if I'm in a hurry-I have always had very noticeable (genetic) circles. Anyway the combo stays put until you wash it off. It is relatively expensive as far as drugstore concealers go though (for the amount you get).
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
I use Almay undereye line smoothing concealer. Its light and provides good coverage. It also contains SPF 10 so you don't have to put ss on top of it.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions so far Very Happy
I will also look into using a primer, have no idea where to start, what would you suggest is a good primer.
I have been looking around and even though I was looking at drugstore, Lancome EFFACERNES concealer has stood out.
I never would have thought searching for a good undereye concealer would be so consuming, as if you find one that covers purple circles, you can garentee it will gather inbtween fine lines.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Boots No. 7 Radiant Concealer is fantastic. I'm not a concealer fan normally because of the way it looks but I really like this one!

It works really well under the eyes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rosebud,

Have you tried the other MAC formulations? I used to use the Studio Fix but found it to be too cakey and switched to the little squeezy tube - I apply my concealer with a short stiff brush and feather it with a fluffier one.

But, I'm not entirely satisfied either and am on the lookout too, so will be checking this thread. Majorb, avalange and others are talking of By Terry but I think it's more of a highlighter than concealer.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far Very Happy
I will also look into using a primer, have no idea where to start, what would you suggest is a good primer.
I have been looking around and even though I was looking at drugstore, Lancome EFFACERNES concealer has stood out.
I never would have thought searching for a good undereye concealer would be so consuming, as if you find one that covers purple circles, you can garentee it will gather inbtween fine lines.

That's the nice thing about using a primer, it prevents anything from sinking into fine lines! Anyway I would just look into any decent silicone-based primer. I'm still in the Monistat-Chafing-Gel-as-a-primer camp but I have picked up others along the way just to try them out and haven't really come across anything terrible. Probably the one I hear the most good things about is by Smashbox, it's called photo-finish.
lefemme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Paris, where did you purchase your Boots No. 7 Radiance concealer? I'd like to try some. I'm always on the lookout for a good concealer. For a primer, I too am a Monistat fan and love the price! Smile BTW, I'm currently using Dermablend "smooth indulgence" as a concealer. It's actually listed on the website as a foundation, but I use it daily as a concealer (esp. under eyes) and am very pleased with it because of its great coverage and texture. I would recommend this product to anyone who is looking for great coverage, and that doesn't sink into fine lines. HTH
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
I bought my Boots at Target, but it is also available at some CVS Pharmacy stores in the States.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Olyn can I use any make-up primer, or does it need to be specifically for eyes?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the info, Paris! I'll check CVS out! I'll look at drugstore.com as well. They have a lot of products I never thought they'd have, and always at a reasonable price as a rule.
hopemelody
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
I just read a review about Giorgio armani's color correcting primer. It has different colors like grean, appricot, purple. and the appricot one is said to be great for under eye dark circle. if you have access to a GA counter, you could ask for a sample to try it first.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Most regular makeup primers should be fine for under your eyes, as long as they don't have anything that might cause burning/irritation since that's a sensitive area. The only other thing that I can think of is that a primer specifically for under the eyes might be thicker consistency. Unfortunately I don't have experience with specific undereye primers because I feel always just use my regular primer there. Hope that helps!
maximus

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
I also have hereditary under-eye circles. I use Bare Minerals concealer loose powder and foundation. You apply it with a soft brush and it doesn't cake or look fake. I find it easy and the coverage is good. I reapply late in afternoon, since nothing stays all day! But, I instantly look fresher and even-toned. Wink
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
i purchased chantecaille biolift concealer & have been pleased as punch with it. it comes in stick form (don't have to use a separate brush, yes!) which i just lightly draw across the darkest area of my undereye & then very gently pat into place with my ring finger.

it is not at all cakey or drying & has been adhering well for me.

the concealer stick has a centre of, i'm guessing, the biolifting ingredients.

don't know if anyone's mentioned it...but someone told me this ages ago, and i feel it's the best undereye concealer trick...when applying concealer to hide dark circles, don't apply the concealer to the entire undereye area...just apply to the part that is the darkest. i've found that this reduces the amount of product required & keeps the area from looking like casper the friendly ghost with dark circles that have been lightened with too much makeup. hope that makes sense. strategic placement, i guess.
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
Boots No. 7 Radiant Concealer is fantastic. I'm not a concealer fan normally because of the way it looks but I really like this one!

It works really well under the eyes.

I just bought this one based on the great reviews here. Similar to YSL but much cheaper. One of my best DS purchases in a long time.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:00 am      Reply with quote
I have an anti-recommendation for undereye concealer: Jane Iredale Active Light Concealer. No matter how I apply it (I've tried many ways--alone on clean skin, over eye cream, under eye cream, over foundation, under foundation, with applicator, with finger, with special concealer brush...), it settles into fine lines and accentuates them. In fact, the only time you see that I even have fine lines is when I have used the JI Active Light.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
I bought the Boots No. 7 Radiant Concealer and it is without a doubt THE best undereye concealer I have ever used, you don't even need a primer and it does not irritate or settle into fine lines, plus it lasts all day.
I got the pinky shade and was so impressed I got the beige tone one too.
It is so light that you forget your wearing it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
I also agree with the rec for Boots No. 7. I have the #2 shade, and I use it over my Laura Mercier primer. It's light-reflecting, but not "shimmery", it's very natural looking. I bought it for dark circles under my eyes, but also use it at the bottom outside corners of nose to cover redness.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:14 am      Reply with quote
I've been using chantecaille's liquid foundation as concealer under my eyes... but i've recently heard that Laura Mercier's concealer is great. wonder if any of you has tried and can comment?!
schang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:09 am      Reply with quote
hopemelody wrote:
I just read a review about Giorgio armani's color correcting primer. It has different colors like grean, appricot, purple. and the appricot one is said to be great for under eye dark circle. if you have access to a GA counter, you could ask for a sample to try it first.

I use an Armani concealer called Skin Retouch. Here's the description of it from their website: "Silky concealer that melts into skin masks imperfections and dark shadows. Leaves skin with natural, seamless coverage. The perfect complexion retouch. All skin types."

I really like it because the texture isn't too dry (like I found Laura Mercier's to be) and blends really well with my fingertips. I use it to cover up imperfections as well as an eye shadow base. On days I don't want to put on eye shadow, I'll put some of this on by itself and it does a good job of brightening up my eyes.

Honestly, it's actually the only concealer that I've ever owned and finished. They usually dry up before I'm even close to finishing it. But with this, I'm literally scraping the bottom of the container and the texture is still nice and very usable. I really recommend it.
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
I like Bobbi Brown's.
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:03 am      Reply with quote
In recent memory I have used or use three:
1.Trish McEvoy: very smooth, medium coverage, cream in a box like e/s
2. MAC: kind of wet, medium coverage, comes in a stick like lip gloss
3. AMAZING concealer was highly touted on this forum. I find it is the best with one qualification: it is probably better on oily skin. Even with much moisturizing of under eye area, it is a little drying or dry and takes more work to spread than the MAC. (I have dry skin and reserve this for special occasions or maybe even going to work--I don't go to work in the summer as I teach. No, it's not a summer off, if you're thinking it's great. It's still the publish or perish pressure!)
So to sum it up I would say that the first two offer medium coverage and are better for drier skin. AMAZING covers best and likely is better for oilier skin.
kd
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
daydreamingda wrote:
I've been using chantecaille's liquid foundation as concealer under my eyes... but i've recently heard that Laura Mercier's concealer is great. wonder if any of you has tried and can comment?!

LM's concealor is okay. I prefer Bobbi Brown's -- a little better color and easier to spread and blend.
I did try Boots over the weekend. It didn't provide the coverage I need. May be better for someone with out as much darkness.
I got it @ Target and am going to return it and try the other color to see if that's the issue.

Mon May 06, 2024 12:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Clear Skin Relief Power Duo (40 ml) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |