Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
What's so special about Obagi?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:59 am      Reply with quote
There seems to be a lot of talk about fading dark spots recently, maybe because it's summer. There are posts about Meloderm, Cosmelan, and a lot on Obagi. I really don't know which one is better.

Anyway, isn't the only "secret" with Obagi the idea of combining the use of hydroquinone, AHAs, and Retin-A?

I'm just looking over the Nu-Derm lineup and it's:

1. Obagi Nu-Derm Foaming Gel / Obagi Nu-Derm Gentle Cleanser (Which I think are just designed to be gentle cleansers, nothing special.)

2. Obagi Nu-Derm Toner (Which I think is just a pH-balancing toner, nothing special.)

3. Obagi Nu-Derm Clear (4% hydroquinone)

4. Obagi Nu-Derm Exfoderm® Forte (AHAs, I don't know the percentage.) / Obagi Nu-Derm Exfoderm

5. Obagi Nu-Derm Blender® (More hydroquinone to be used with Tretinoin cream.)

6. Obagi Nu-Derm Healthy Skin Protection SPF 35 / Obagi Nu-Derm Sunfader SPF 15 (4% hydroquinone) / Obagi Nu-Derm Physical UV Block SPF 32 (Which I think are just run-of-the-mill sunblocks, one with added hydroquinone.)

When I say nothing special, I'm not saying they aren't good products. I'm just saying I don't think you need to go Obagi on those. You could probably use a good cleanser from another brand that's even gentler than Obagi's and have even better results. Obagi is proabably just afraid a lot of people might be using really harsh cleansers, when that can't be good with all the exfoliation going on, so they take care of the whole routine.

It seems only the Clear, Exfoderm, and Blender with Tretinoin are key when going with Obagi. The thing is, I don't see the need to go with Obagi in the first place.

I think you pay for maybe some product "synergy", but it seems to me Obagi's idea is pretty shotgun-force to begin with, so it doesn't matter that much what products you use as long as the idea is the same. And it seems the idea is just crazy amounts of exfoliation with good ingredients like AHAs and Retin-A plus lots of hydroquinone.

I mean normally you're getting a lot of exfoliation with Tretinoin. And you wouldn't use a daily peel product on top of that or else you wouldn't be able to go to work. But Obagi is saying, yes, combine a daily peel and Retin-A and peel like crazy. And normally we would be freaked out by so much peeling, but because it's part of the "Obagi system" we stick through it.

Anyway, the point of all this is I think 6 weeks of a strong daily peel, plus Tretinoin, plus hydroquinone, plus the good cleansers, toners, and sunblocks we read on here will give you an Obagi experience without having to buy the Obagi system.

Also, I think hydroquinone works (but isn't safe) for making the skin lighter. But I don't think it does that much for existing dark spots. I think thanks go to exfoliation.
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 am      Reply with quote
I an inclined to agree. You can replicate the Obagi system on your own. But I am wary of going through the uglies unless I am closely supervised by a good dermatologist. That much peeling is painful and looks scary!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Obagi for about 8 weeks...got it from a derm...and it's working really well for me. I had a bad pigment spot on the side of my face, and a couple of patches on my forehead...they are now gone completely. The crows feet that were starting to appear by my eyes are hardly noticeable now (was told that by a GUY at work!) My skin tone is even, clear and glowing.

I've done some research on hydroquinone...and the biggest risk I could find was that one can get skin cancer while using it (and Retin-A)...which is why I never go out in the sun w/out a good sunscreen and put it on multiple times throughout the day. (PLEASE let me know if there is a risk I'm not aware of!) My flaking/redness was a bit bad at the beginning...but I just used a washcloth in the am and pm...and that took care of the flakes. I put MMU on as well, so that took care of much of the redness...just looked like I'd been out in the sun. It didn't hurt at all...just felt a bit "tight" and minor itching. (Had a bad reaction on my neck a nd decollatage...so I quit using it there).

I'm sure you could "customize" your own program w/a combination of other products, but you'd run the risk of the products not working well together, creating an allergic-type reaction or other unintended consequences. So, if it were me...I'd do plenty of research prior to combining things. Just my thoughts on the subject. I'm sure there are plenty of good products out there...

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
What's so special about Obagi? The dermatologists get fat profits. Bad Grin
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Isn't true that Cosmelan has to used under dermatologist's supervision too?
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not 100% certain that all of the products in the obagi range are necessary, but I can say from personal experience that Obagi really works. My skin was virtually flawless after about 8 weeks.
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:54 am      Reply with quote
beeb wrote:
I'm not 100% certain that all of the products in the obagi range are necessary, but I can say from personal experience that Obagi really works. My skin was virtually flawless after about 8 weeks.

have you tried Obagi High Potency Vitamin C Serum before??
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
I have not tried the Obagi high potency C but I've heard that it compliments the obagi nu-derm system.
queenbluebee
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
RMB wrote:
It seems only the Clear, Exfoderm, and Blender with Tretinoin are key when going with Obagi. The thing is, I don't see the need to go with Obagi in the first place.

I agree. I use the Obagi system and purchase the entire line at first. After speaking with a friend of the family (dermatologist). He informed me that any face wash, toner, and sunscreen would be fine. Since then I have only purchase the products that you mentioned above for maintainance.

I use Nuetragena Oil Free Fash Wash.
Homemade Aspirin Toner
Obagi Clear
Obagi Exoderm
Obagi Blender & Retin A
Nuetragean Oil Free SPF 45 Sunscreen
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:11 am      Reply with quote
I have read in many places that hydroquione makes skin worse long term, shortterm you might see fading and lightening and but long term u might end up with hyperpigmentation and it has even been banned in many countries due to studies and links to cancer or whatever. So yea if possible try to avoid products with these ingrediants. Skin lightening forums talk about this extensively Shock
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:15 am      Reply with quote
This system is very high cost but I think it worth to try on.
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:24 am      Reply with quote
iaimei wrote:
Isn't true that Cosmelan has to used under dermatologist's supervision too?

If you opt to use the Cosmelan Mask (C1) as part of your treatment plan then it is advisable that you seek the supervision of a Dermatologist. The C1 Mask is a one time treatment that is left on your face for 6-8 hours (based on your skin condition). I have meet several people who consulted with their Derm to determine if they were good candidates for Cosmelan and asked how long the mask would need to be applied. Once they had the necessary specifics from their Derm, they bought the Cosmelan system online and applied the mask on their own at home with little difficulty. I wouldn't advise you try the C1 at home without a prior consultation with a Derm though. You want to make sure you fully understand how this products works and covered all your bases.Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
GeminiWoman - On a scale of one to ten, how bad were your flakies and redness initially? How long before they disappeared?

ScotsLass - what does the Cosmelan mask do, exactly? If you go through the derm, is it v. costly?

Thanks!!!
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
msaries1 wrote:
GeminiWoman - On a scale of one to ten, how bad were your flakies and redness initially? How long before they disappeared? Thanks!!!

Flakies - with 10 being bad peeling from a really bad sunburn....about a 6. It peaked at about 2 weeks for me, and I started washing with a washcloth, and then didn't have a problem during the day.

Redness - same scale as above...about an 8. My skin is very fair...so it looked "flushed" most of the time...for about a month. I used MMU, and that calmed it down. It just looked like I had gotten some sun.

One thing though...I was using only .05% Retin-A because I have sensitive skin. If you use a higher strength Retin-A, it might be a bit worse.

Hope this helps!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Geminiwoman!! Smile
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Well, you have your say...

As for me, I have been using Obagi since approx. 5 years, and I have never look back! Smile
I am a believer of Obagi products because my skin was really really in very bad shape years ago!

If you want to use other products, that is your choice... I choiced to keep Obagi products... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Perhaps some people have different reaction maybe? Smile

quote="RMB"]There seems to be a lot of talk about fading dark spots recently, maybe because it's summer. There are posts about Meloderm, Cosmelan, and a lot on Obagi. I really don't know which one is better.

Anyway, isn't the only "secret" with Obagi the idea of combining the use of hydroquinone, AHAs, and Retin-A?

I'm just looking over the Nu-Derm lineup and it's:

1. Obagi Nu-Derm Foaming Gel / Obagi Nu-Derm Gentle Cleanser (Which I think are just designed to be gentle cleansers, nothing special.)

2. Obagi Nu-Derm Toner (Which I think is just a pH-balancing toner, nothing special.)

3. Obagi Nu-Derm Clear (4% hydroquinone)

4. Obagi Nu-Derm Exfoderm® Forte (AHAs, I don't know the percentage.) / Obagi Nu-Derm Exfoderm

5. Obagi Nu-Derm Blender® (More hydroquinone to be used with Tretinoin cream.)

6. Obagi Nu-Derm Healthy Skin Protection SPF 35 / Obagi Nu-Derm Sunfader SPF 15 (4% hydroquinone) / Obagi Nu-Derm Physical UV Block SPF 32 (Which I think are just run-of-the-mill sunblocks, one with added hydroquinone.)

When I say nothing special, I'm not saying they aren't good products. I'm just saying I don't think you need to go Obagi on those. You could probably use a good cleanser from another brand that's even gentler than Obagi's and have even better results. Obagi is proabably just afraid a lot of people might be using really harsh cleansers, when that can't be good with all the exfoliation going on, so they take care of the whole routine.

I think you pay for maybe some product "synergy", but it seems to me Obagi's idea is pretty shotgun-force to begin with, so it doesn't matter that much what products you use as long as the idea is the same. And it seems the idea is just crazy amounts of exfoliation with good ingredients like AHAs and Retin-A plus lots of hydroquinone.

I mean normally you're getting a lot of exfoliation with Tretinoin. And you wouldn't use a daily peel product on top of that or else you wouldn't be able to go to work. But Obagi is saying, yes, combine a daily peel and Retin-A and peel like crazy. And normally we would be freaked out by so much peeling, but because it's part of the "Obagi system" we stick through it.

Anyway, the point of all this is I think 6 weeks of a strong daily peel, plus Tretinoin, plus hydroquinone, plus the good cleansers, toners, and sunblocks we read on here will give you an Obagi experience without having to buy the Obagi system.

Also, I think hydroquinone works (but isn't safe) for making the skin lighter. But I don't think it does that much for existing dark spots. I think thanks go to exfoliation.[/quote]
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
I read somewhere that you usn't use Retin-a micro gel with Obagi--only the Retin-a cream. I'm assuming this is becasue the gel is micrencapsulated so it doesn't go as deep as FAST as the cream.

That said, I used micro with obagi my forst time round and got great results.

Do any of the Obagians out there know the scoop on Retin-a micro? Does the cream really work better?
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
beeb - Until just a few days ago...I'd never heard of Retin-A gel. I was only offered cream. I'm interested to know the difference...

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
beeb wrote:
I read somewhere that you usn't use Retin-a micro gel with Obagi--only the Retin-a cream. I'm assuming this is becasue the gel is micrencapsulated so it doesn't go as deep as FAST as the cream.

That said, I used micro with obagi my forst time round and got great results.

Do any of the Obagians out there know the scoop on Retin-a micro? Does the cream really work better?

I remember asking the same question & was told that you could use the Obagi system with gel??

combo/acne prone skin/naturally tan-nc 42: HG so far: Pure Minerals Mineral Melt cleanser for OCM, JM bioglycolic cleanser, JM bioclear, EII, Sofina Nuance Up, SK-II airtouch fdn, Vincent Longo lip stain in Baby Boo & My Sunshine, Kevyn Aucoin Apricot Tansoleil blush
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
As far as I know the gel delivers the Vitamin A more slowly than the cream so the skin can tolerate a higher percentage. Also, some doctors recommend that the cream should not be applied immediately after washing the face, whereas the gel can be applied right away.

Personally, I like the texture of the gel much better than the cream--it's easier to rub into the skin.
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
beeb wrote:
I have not tried the Obagi high potency C but I've heard that it compliments the obagi nu-derm system.

Hi beeb
Thank you for your replying Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |