Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

salon tipping
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
What is the appropriate amount to tip for waxing in a salon on my first visit with them? the cost of the service is 40 dollars.
FrevaKZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard it's in the range of 10%-15%. I would go with 10%, as you may not be comfortable with their service when the waxing is over. I have the same woman wax me every time, so I know her personally and tip higher than I usually would.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Do you tip when you get a facial, or message? I never did now I come to think of it, I don't know if I should?
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
I get waxing done at the time of my facial. I usually tip 20% -- I've been going to my person for several years, like her and the results that I get every time (no extra breakouts or skin irritation, etc.)
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:27 am      Reply with quote
Are you in the US? I think Australia tips less and maybe Europe, too, than the US. We tip just about anybody and for just about anything in the US. It's sad.
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Holy Crap!! You need to tip 20% on salon services?? I've been shorting my guy then.... Embarassed

I have only worried about percentages when eating out! Taxis...skiy cabs...haircuts... what ever -usually get no more than 5-10 dollars (unless I received outstanding services then I just tip with what felt right).

Geesh! I must be in the dark ages! Don't get me wrong...I do tip (and as BKK said-we tip everyone in the U.S.), but I did not know there were associated percentages!

I feel like I just became my Great-Grandmother...'Back in my day...19-aught-84 you could see a movie with a drink, sm pocorn, AND a box of ju-ju fruits for $5!!" Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone! I ended up tipping 10 dollars for 45 dollars worth of service since I came a bit late for my appointment!
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hehe, I know what you mean Deanne, but I feel like I've tipped more and more with every year. It's weird, but I feel like that's what's expected of me now - not only does tipping rise on par with inflation, but the actual percentage seems to inflate every year. I usually tip quite a lot if I'm trying to establish a relationship with a spa/salon, and if it's just some random out-of-town thing, I'll tip less. And as unfair and burdensome as it is, I'll tip more for nicer/more expensive places - I usually tip 10% at a Supercuts, for example, but I'll tip about 25% for my normal hairdresser. I feel like it secures me preference - if I need her to squeeze me in or stay late to fit me in during her last spot when I have a hectic schedule, she'll do it, because she knows I give her eighty bucks for a fifty-five dollar haircut if she does it. And really, that's all it's about - I only have two regular "people" I see, a waxist (very infrequent) and a hair gal for cuts only, so I don't spend a TON on such appointments - and therefore I feel like it's worth splurging on the tip.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
schang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
I'm an American citizen living in China at the moment. I feel like I'm saving so much money because we don't tip here. The workers get less money, but it's also a relief not to have to worry if I'm tipping too little? too much?
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:36 am      Reply with quote
WOAH Americans are really generous!

I've never been to have any beauty treatments but at my hairdressers, I just tip 10%...thought that was the norm.

I agree schang, when I'm in China or HK, I sometimes just tip any amount or nothing sometimes, when the service and/or the end product doesnt fully satisfy me.
But I think its ok to not tip in China, cos I heard that what you tip goes to the boss, not to the employees.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:19 am      Reply with quote
It's not only okay not to tip here, sometimes it's not even allowed. Some employees get very nervous and uncomfortable if you try to tip because they actually will get in trouble from their employers if they accept the money.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:58 am      Reply with quote
schang wrote:
It's not only okay not to tip here, sometimes it's not even allowed. Some employees get very nervous and uncomfortable if you try to tip because they actually will get in trouble from their employers if they accept the money.

Really---havent heard of this before, but I rarely go to Mainland China. Guess it's best to NOT tip then...Wouldnt wont them to get in trouble!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
In the U.S., servers in restaurants (waiters/waitresses) rely on tips for the majority of their pay (servers in places where they come to your table, take your order, etc... Not Mcdonald's and places like that). Anyway, waitresses get paid about 1/2 of what the U.S. minimum wage is. And...it's just about impossible to support yourself making the minimum wage...so getting less than that is designed to promote better service. They also get taxed on 15% of their sales...so if they get a tip of less than 15%, they actually lose money. I waitressed during college...and getting "stiffed" on a tip, when I know that I gave good service was really disappointing. I'm not sure what staff in salons make, but do know that they are expected to receive tips, and their employers take that into account when determining what to pay them.

I just returned from a business trip to London, and it's obvious that their servers make the same amount of money whether they give good service or not...which unfortunately, in my experience, is usually not.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
Waiters get taxed 15% of their sales? Then if the average tip is 15% then they are only making their (low) hourly salary of a few dollars per hour? I think I misunderstand because that doesn't make sense to me!
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure if I explained it correctly...jet lag and all (just about ready for bed).

The government assumes that they will get a 15% tip...so considers that income...and taxes them on that amount. If a bill is $100, then it is assumed that they will get a $15 tip, so they have to pay tax on that amount whether they receive it or not.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, wow. I had no idea! That sucks.
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:45 am      Reply with quote
I tip my waxer, hairstylist, and manicure/pedicurist 20% each. I have been going to each one of them for years and am never disappointed.

In restaurants I tip 15-20%, depending on service. For coat check attendents and bellboys, I tip $1 per coat/suitcase. An for taxis I tip 1 dollar over the amount, plus whatever change is left over.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
There are only a couple states that do not operate the way Geminiwoman described, and my homestate of WA is one of them, but they're considering changing that law. I've waitressed a tad in my life, enough to know that it can be HARD work, and I have a huge appreciation for people in customer service positions in general.

And even though the government assumes you'll get a 15% tip, many patrons believe that a tip is only a "bonus" if the service was really outstanding (and many are just old-fashioned like my dad, who's never left more than ten percent in his lifetime, because when he was a kid, you could get an ice cream cone for a nickel...). I think the amount someone decides to tip should be their right - the government shouldn't decide what tips people should expect, in my opinion, and use that figure to make up the base salary for waitstaff. Totally not fair - as was mentioned, minimum wage is already too little to live on - take away the help from tips, and you're paying dirt for a difficult job.

But this is why, if you're a heavy tipper, it's nice to try and leave it as cash instead of writing it in on the credit card slip - that way, there's no official record, so the government only taxes them the assumed 15%, and not, say, the 25% you may have left if you're generous. Just a "tip" for those who want to ensure that as much money as possible actually goes into the pockets of your server. Smile

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I always left it in cash because I figured they got taxed on the tip only if it was printed on the receipt (also I figured they get a % deducted from the credit card company.) Do you happen to know if NY is one of those states that does not assume a 15% tip?
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
You know, I don't, I just know WA was not like that because I looked into waitressing in Seattle when I was in high school. It can be quite lucrative here, since servers get WA's comparatively high minimum wage, plus tips (generally pretty generous in Seattle, I think) on top of it - so when I moved to PA and looked at waitressing, I scoffed at the $2.10/hour they offered. I had no idea it varied by state! Let me see if I can come up with an answer as to the other minimum wage state via Google, now I'm curious...

http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerprotection/laborstandards/workprot/minwage.shtm

So I can't seem to find a list of all the states that have a normal minimum wage vs. a reduced one, but it appears from the link above that NY has a lowered rate for tip-earning professionals. Boo! I guess. I don't know. I don't really have a full formed opinion about it, because I really only know the issue from the server's side. But it seems silly to me - after reading the book Nickel and Dimed, I can't in good conscience get behind paying an even LOWER wage than the minimum, to anyone!

ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Aha.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/tipped.htm

vava_gurl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Wow this blows me away....not only the amount of tipping but the fact that anyone & everyone gets tipped. I am in Australia and it is not common practice to tip stylists, beauty therapists, etcetc.. Although in a restaurant if the service is great and the food too then yes we tip, but if it's lousy then its a big fat no! I think that as a whole over here tipping is seen as a reward for brilliant service or job well done more than an matter of course. And let me tell you what I pay for my cut & colour is enough to justify no tip. I Maybe salons over here build it into their bill - that could explain the 'charging like wounded bulls'.
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
vava_gurl wrote:
Wow this blows me away....not only the amount of tipping but the fact that anyone & everyone gets tipped. I am in Australia and it is not common practice to tip stylists, beauty therapists, etcetc.. Although in a restaurant if the service is great and the food too then yes we tip, but if it's lousy then its a big fat no! I think that as a whole over here tipping is seen as a reward for brilliant service or job well done more than an matter of course. And let me tell you what I pay for my cut & colour is enough to justify no tip. I Maybe salons over here build it into their bill - that could explain the 'charging like wounded bulls'.

Interesting thought... Can you translate to US dollars??? I pay $60 for a haircut and $110 for a full highlight. I think the salon I go to is high mid-range for my area...plenty of places charge less, and a few charge more.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
This is what irks me. How come the restaurant owner get to pay less than the minimum wage and let the patrons pay for the restaurant owner's pay roll? Sad
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
I normally tip 15% for salon services. A related question, do you leave a tip on the table if you go to a buffet type restaurant? The kind where you go and get your own food from various stations and there are waiters who collects empty plates etc.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |