Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Hauschka Sensitive Care Conditioner (1 ml x 50 Amps) Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz)
How to do makeup for black & white photos ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
pumpkinpie
5% products discount

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Any good advice for doing my makeup for a black & white photo shoot? What color blush,lipstick,eyeshadow,eye liner,false eyelashes,base makeup?
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote
I would stick to neutrals that will help to play up your features, since you won't be able to see the color of the make-up. I would avoid using anything too dark, especially on your eyes, because you don't want to look like you have two black eyes.
hopeful
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:36 am      Reply with quote
i would ask the the phot guy, sometimes black and white pictures you need to apply darker makeup so you can see it better, too light and you might look too washed out. hth

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
I guess the question is 'What is this for?"

Is it for family? Special Event? Fun? The 'Why" can really help with the answer.

E.G. New baby pictures. (I just LOVE the ones with new Dads without a shirt holding a newborn or in their hands looking at baby!! My heart melts on those).

I think alot would depend on if this is casual or formal and if you are getting a head shot or full body. I think clothing is very important too.

I've found a couple things on make-up and clothing that I hope helps:

"The best clothing for B&W photos is clothing with a contrast such as a black jacket with a white shirt, animal prints, polka dots, and stripes and plaids in dark colors. The darker colors like black and navy make a clearer and crisper photo. Most other colors will look gray.

Everything tends to show up in a B&W photo like hair twigs sticking out or even eyelashes stuck together."

These are helpful tips I really like from JC Penny (of all places). Very Happy I thought they might be interesting for you too:

"Overall, keep hairstyles and make-up (adults only!) simple. Barretts and ribbons should be small. Hair should be neatly trimmed no later than 48 hours prior to your appointment.
Let your individual personalities shine through.

Simplicity is the key when it comes to planning a portrait. Solid colors are best. Avoid large or bold patterns and bright colors. They draw attention away from the face. (this is refering to color photos)
Long sleeve dresses and shirts are recommended. They draw attention away from the arms and focus on the face. (Short sleeves are acceptable for infants and small children.

Coordinate your child's attire from head to toe, carefully selecting appropriate shoes and socks or stockings, as our photographer may suggest a full length pose.
Darker clothing tends to minimize body size, and light tones tend to emphasize body size.
Necklines are important
. A scoop or v-neck is best if your neck is short and your face is full. A turtleneck or high-necked garment is more flattering if your neck is longer and your face is slender.

Dress everyone in the same style clothing. Do not mix casual and formal attire.
Do not mix light and dark colors. Save stronger colors and patterns for accent items like scarves and neckties.
White or light pastel clothing looks best in portraits taken against a white or light colored background. Dark clothing looks best photographed against darker backgrounds and creates a more formal mood.
Our photographers will help you to select the backgrounds most suitable to your needs. To personalize your portraits, we encourage you to bring your own props or a favorite toy to the session as well"

I know it's long, but I've followed some of these tips and had some of the best family photos ever!

Good luck!

5% products discount

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
I am blonde and 8 months pregnant,only wearing lacey bra & boy shorts.
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Then I would keep it natural....but a night natural if that makes sense. You know when folks go out in the evening...it's darker eyeshadow and lipstick...well, keep the day look, but apply with a heavier hand. That's my advice.

Sounds like you are celebrating the pregnancy. Keep you - well, you. Don't go for a dramatic new look no super dark make-up unless you normally do...keep it simple and clean. I would also look into body make-up just like for the face (remember...all things show up more in B&W-to include stretch marks and ingrown hairs-if you know what i mean). Embarassed
I wouldn't put a lot in the hair (also...are you a natural blonde? If not, don't forget the roots).

Lastly, and this is because my best friend did this...either take off all finger nail polish or get a fresh coat. Hers was chipped and it was very noticable. Laughing Oh, don't forget to take off the watch but leave the ring if you wear one! Very Happy

Have fun and I bet it turns out great!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I just realized my entry for the make-up didn't get pasted in! Opps!

Here it is:

Colours for black & white

Dark reds, dark greens and white work best for black and white photography.

Avoid pinks, yellows and light blues.

Shades should be stronger and applied more heavily than usual

This is from-Make-up for black and white photography
by Gina Anderson

Sat May 18, 2024 9:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |