Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Uh..What would you do in this situation?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
I bought a glass water jug from Winners today. I brought it home, washed it and started to make ice tea. The directions on the ice tea box says to let the tea bag seep in boiling water. SO...I added the tea bag and hot water to the jug. Well. It cracked from top to bottom. Is this my own stupidity? I've done this in other glass ware before and it didn't crack. What would you do? I'm contemplating bringing it back and hoping to exchange for another one.

Crying or Very sad
TheShadow
5% products discount

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Not all glass can stand up to boiling water. I don't think they'll give you your money back. Sorry.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
It was perfect when you bought it and you broke it.

What do you expect the shop to do?
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry Puglove, you have to suck it up, you can't expect the store to compensate you because you broke it.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
I think it is worth a try, after all you followed the directions that came with the glass jug, take it back and try to get a refund if you still have the receipt, after all what is the worst that can happen they say no and fair enough but at least you tried.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
I think it is worth a try, after all you followed the directions that came with the glass jug, take it back and try to get a refund if you still have the receipt, after all what is the worst that can happen they say no and fair enough but at least you tried.

I think the directions were from the ice tea box. Some glass isn't made to put boiling water in, something I believe is called tempered?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
You poor soul! Confused I can tell that your heart broke along with the jug! I feel for you! Of course, I agree with the others - you're very likely out of luck...unless you've got an inside edge with the management at your local Winners! I'd consider it a lesson learned and just go find yourself another one!
Happy tea-making!
puds
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
Ahh...ok. I figured just as much. Lesson learned.

Just so you know, I wasn't expecting them to do anything as another poster suggested. I wanted to know what to do since something like this hasn't happened before! I've used boiling water in glassware before with no problems.

Okay. Of to get a new one, damnit!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
puglove wrote:

Just so you know, I wasn't expecting them to do anything as another poster suggested. I wanted to know what to do since something like this hasn't happened before! I've used boiling water in glassware before with no problems.

Um... I mean this in the gentlest way, but did the instructions on the pitcher tell whether it was safe to pour boiling water in it?

I have a glass coffee press I've used everday for years without incident but the lady at the store told me to be sure to rinse it with hot water before pouring in the boiling water. Good thing she told me that because I usually store it in the refrigerator when I make iced coffee.... Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's worth going to the store and just asking if it was safe for boiling water. If it was, then you you know it wasn't your fault it broke and they will probably exchange it.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Puglove,
Im sorry about your new jug.
I had a glass jug and didnt think a thing about it before I poured hot water in to make Iced Tea....OMG,it exploded. Glass everywhere.
Thank God no one was hurt.
Linda
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
puglove wrote:

((hugs)) to you! Hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on the same one! There are a number of Winners' in my city and I know that they all carry alot of the same stuff - good luck!
puds
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Depends on if you live in the US or not, but stores in the US like Bed Bath & Beyond or Target will take this back with no questions asked if you have receipts and within a certain amount of time although BBB said it will take it back with no time limit. If you live in Thailand, you're out of luck from the time you gave the vendor your money and stepped out of the store. LOL

ETA: Oh, I just remember you said you bought this from Winners. I have no idea where that store is. There's not one in California.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
puglove wrote:

Um... I mean this in the gentlest way, but did the instructions on the pitcher tell whether it was safe to pour boiling water in it?

I have a glass coffee press I've used everday for years without incident but the lady at the store told me to be sure to rinse it with hot water before pouring in the boiling water. Good thing she told me that because I usually store it in the refrigerator when I make iced coffee.... Laughing

There were no instructions or warnings!

Grrr...the night before, I totally had my mind set on making ice tea (from Starbucks - Black iced tea...Mmmmm) but didn't have a large pitcher/jug. I was SO excited to bring it home (I'm easily pleased, I guess!) to make it. Ah well.

I just got another one, same thing just different colours accent on it. FYI, I boiled and seeped the water in a SAFE corningware bowl first. I'm still so choked. Good thing it was cheap!
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
((hugs)) to you! Hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on the same one! There are a number of Winners' in my city and I know that they all carry alot of the same stuff - good luck!
puds

Aww thanks!
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:46 am      Reply with quote
You sound like you might be a potential aficionado of tea at the start of your love affair. There are lots of things made that will withstand hot water poured into them and then a slow cooling top the point of refrigeration-temperatures. You can eventually get one for yourself -- in the mean time you know how to handle your new jug, and you'll never make the same mistake again with anything else. Enjoy your tea! Smile
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:52 am      Reply with quote
puglove wrote:
athena123 wrote:
puglove wrote:

There were no instructions or warnings!

Grrr...the night before, I totally had my mind set on making ice tea (from Starbucks - Black iced tea...Mmmmm) but didn't have a large pitcher/jug. I was SO excited to bring it home (I'm easily pleased, I guess!) to make it. Ah well.

I just got another one, same thing just different colours accent on it. FYI, I boiled and seeped the water in a SAFE corningware bowl first. I'm still so choked. Good thing it was cheap!

OK this time, rinse it out with hot water before use and when making the tea use water that is slightly off the boil and pour in slowly. I have a glass teapot and a cafetiere (sp?) and do this every time I use either, no problems ... so far.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips everyone! Definitely learned something!
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Puglove - Over the years I have encountered similar experiences with a few items that I purchased at Winners and have never, ever, had a problem returning anything that suddenly broke while I was using it. I simply tell their CS people the truth and that I *just* purchased the item with the sole understanding that it would be suitable for my desired task, and that there were no labels or warnings on the item that stated otherwise.

I know you didn't intend to break your water jug! If you still have the receipt and sticker or tag I encourage you to go back to any Winners store and explain your situation. It is my understanding that they often receive merchandise that are actually 'seconds'. So it's completely possible that your water jug might have been structurally flawed in some way and could have just as easily cracked from the hot water you used in your sink while washing it (this has in-fact happened to me!!!). HTH's... wave

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of glass isn't capable of withstanding very hot water. I learned this the hard way when I was washing a glass thermometer. Mercury everywhere is not a pleasant experience! Be careful and buy Pyrex for hot water if you can!
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Ancient secret Wink is to put a silver spoon in the glass container before pouring in hot water.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
puglove wrote:
Thanks for the tips everyone! Definitely learned something!

Hey puglove Smile

Sorry that happened to you Sad I hear your disappointment and hope you can get the same jug again.

Here's another suggestion: If you paid for the jug with a charge card, check to see if the cc has *security purchase protection* on it. Your cc company may call it something else, but basically it's insurance on the purchases you charge with that card (personal, non-business). I have this on a couple of CCs and if something happens to the item I charged within 90 days of purchase, they will reimburse me the purchase price (and taxes, I think).

I've taken advantage of this feature several times -- it doesn't seem to matter why the item got damaged. You'll need proof it was charged on your card. Some CC companies asked for proof the item was damage, but some don't. Policies differ with CC companies.

So maybe you want to check it out? You have nothing to lose Smile

HTH. Let us know if you have success getting a free replacement -- one way or the other?

I hope you get to enjoy some tea soon!

montrealgal
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I'm sorry that happened to you also. I normally fill my jug with hot water as I'm waiting for the water to boil to warm up the glass.

I think telling WalMart the truth will allow you to exchange or get a refund.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
You know, even tempered glass breaks sometimes - I had a Pyrex pie dish explode without warning once after I set it down on a mildly warm stovetop (not even on a burner, just the oven had been running). Very strange. But even a stainless steel pan can warp and change shape if the temperature switch it's exposed to is overly extreme - nothing is constant!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
I've learnt from my mom that you could boil the glassware with water first before your first use... that way, your glass container can hold hot water without breaking!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |