Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Shea butter bad for face?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VoltesV
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Is shea butter bad for the face? I vaguely recall reading somewhere that one of the ingredients to avoid is shea butter. It didn't say why and I can't find any info on this. Question
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know that shea is "bad" for the face but it is a very rich butter. Usually shea that is in skin products is mixed with other ingredients for this reason.

I know others with more knowledge will have more info.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I think different people will have different opinions on this, it all comes down to your skin type. I couldn't imagine something good for your body is bad for your face skin, unless facial skin type is different.
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Yes , something like mineral oil , it is no problem for my body skin but big problem for my face skin ! Confused
schang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
I think if anything, it would be too rich for the skin on your face. So although it probably wouldn't technically hurt your skin, it might clog pores and/or cause breakouts. Just my totally unscientific opinion.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
i read somewhere it might darken the skin abit for face?? Dont no why that would be though
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:30 am      Reply with quote
VoltesV wrote:
Is shea butter bad for the face? I vaguely recall reading somewhere that one of the ingredients to avoid is shea butter. It didn't say why and I can't find any info on this. Question

Hi Voltes! Go to http://www.nasabb.com/index.html

There is excellent information on what shea butter can do for you as well hair and skin tips. Good luck! Very Happy
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
I would think it would be too rich for your face as its so thick its good for the body though
queenmama1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, shea butter is comedegenic, and should not be used on your face. Jojoba oil is the best IMO.
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:19 am      Reply with quote
Lola Moroney wrote:
I would think it would be too rich for your face as its so thick its good for the body though

I agree with you. I only use at night on my eye area.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:24 am      Reply with quote
I use a moisturizer everyday that has shea butter in it-- Dove Sensitive Essentials lotion. It doesn't cause any detriement; in fact, it moisturizers better than more expensive things I've tried.
lululun
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
I use it on my body. It didn't moisturize face very well if used alone.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Shea butter is in a lot of my facial concoctions, but I used to find that it made me break out for sure. As my skin ages and gets less greasy, it makes me break out less, but it still has to be pretty far down the ingredient list. The thing is, it has such great properties that I don't feel the need to discontinue use completely - I just figure I'll limit it. I use pure unrefined shea butter as an eye cream sometimes and I always feel like it does a great job of protecting and soothing my eye area, but if it migrates onto the bridge of my nose, I get blackheads there.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldnt say its bad for your face...but I would NEVER use it on my face, as Im 100% sure it will clog my pores and cause major breakouts for me.

However, I recently made a lip balm and a body butter (which went horribly wrong, but am still using it) using shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter and its very moisturising for my body and lips.
I use shea butter for me feet as well, and I've got to say, they're rather smooth Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Different people have different needs... even for moisturizers, or body lotions....

Like if you have oily skin on your face, I would think you will buy something that will not make your face "oily"....

I've tried shea butter, and it seems it is good.... You buy products depending on your skin types....

Cheers Smile

VoltesV wrote:
pipkin
5% products discount

Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:28 am      Reply with quote
I think as everyone else says, it does depend on your skin. As I have got older mine has become drier and I have recently been using a whipped shea butter with Rosehip Oil and some other stuff as my main moisturiser. I've found if I spray my face first with a flower water then apply it, it absorbs in very well. I don't like the idea of just using straight shea butter, I really don't like the smell.
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 23, 2013 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
where do your buy your shea butter?

i get mine from out of africa and coastal scents but think of trying out other places
cali1979
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 24, 2013 2:35 am      Reply with quote
Is that ture? I know that shea butter was used in a lot of products.Perhaps it's because shea butter is a little oil? Anyway,I still think it's good for body care.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 24, 2013 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
I avoid any oil that contains a significant amount of PUFA which shea probably does due to being plant based.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 24, 2013 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
I know the shea butter used in commercial products has been high heat (and sometimes solvent) treated, so it doesn't have the unsaponifiables and goodies that raw shea butter does. Could that be what you're thinking of, op?

Also you're not supposed to use it at all if you have a latex allergy.
Angelcat47
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 29, 2013 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that it can be comedogenic and if you are acne prone,it's usually not recommended.I love it for my body and hair,though!!
lookwithin
5% products discount

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
I apply raw shea butter to my face when I need a rich moisturizer and my skin doesn't break out. I am prone to pimples as well. As always, YMMV.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:17 am      Reply with quote
Shea butter makes my skin drier. Once I apply it I feel like re-applying it the whole day because my skin feels very dry and tight.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Salome_B wrote:
where do your buy your shea butter?

i get mine from out of africa and coastal scents but think of trying out other places

I bought mine from Garden of Wisdom. Large 2 oz container. I put a small amount in a clean jar.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Jira wrote:
Lola Moroney wrote:

I agree with you. I only use at night on my eye area.

I apply eye treatments; wait a least a couple of minutes. Then I apply a small amount just under the eyes. This is great for adding moisture to a dry area.

I use only under my eyes at night. I will try it on my body and hands sometime.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |