Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Top 10 Worst Food
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Give It Up: Top 10 Worst Foods
Frankenfoods Alert!
By Lisa Mosing, MS, RD, FADA, LifeScript Director of Nutrition
Saturday, July 14, 2007

The 10 Worst Foods

1. Chips
One ounce of potato chips has 152 calories and 10 grams of fat (3 grams of which are artery-clogging saturated fat). If you munch on a one-ounce handful three times a week, in one year you will have added 23,400 calories to your diet and about seven pounds to your waistline. And remember, that’s just one small handful – much less than most adults snack on at a time.

Substitute: Rice and popcorn cakes have come a long way. Now available in a variety of flavors, you can satisfy a salty craving without hitting the chips. Pick up Quaker’s Quakes Rice Snacks or Orville Redenbacher’s Popcorn Cakes instead – both have less than 100 calories per serving.

For a more exotic crunch, try edamame (steamed soybeans with salt), which you can find in the freezer section of your local grocery store. One-half cup provides 11 grams of protein, 10 grams of carbs and six grams of filling fiber.

2. Non-Dairy Topping
Tasty as they are, these toppings are mostly corn syrup and hydrogenated vegetable oil (stuff you don’t want floating around in your arteries). One tablespoon is 32 calories – and who stops at just one? More than likely, you pile on the whip until you can’t even see what dessert you started out with.

Substitute: Low-fat vanilla yogurt. The same amount has half the calories, plus a healthy dose of calcium.

3. Doughnuts
White flour, vegetable shortening, white sugar, deep fried. Need we say more? One glazed Krispy Kreme packs 200 calories and 12 grams of fat, including saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol, all heart stoppers. An old-fashioned cake donut has 300 calories, 28 grams of carbohydrates and 19 grams of fat, including 5 grams of saturated fat and 4 grams of trans fat. The American Heart Association recommends that only 30% of our diet come from fat; that’s about 65 grams in a 2,000-calorie daily diet. Throw down a couple of doughnuts with your coffee and your daily fat quota is sunk.

Substitute: Whole grain bagels. Half of a Pepperidge Farm multi-grain bagel has 125 calories, 3 grams of fat and 3.5 grams of cholesterol-lowering fiber.

4. Fettuccine Alfredo
What’s not to love: long strips of fettuccine drenched with butter, cream and parmesan cheese. Eat a forkful of that comfort food and all your worries disappear – until your next physical. A three-ounce serving (think the size of your fist) has 543 calories and 33 grams of fat (19 of which are saturated).

Substitute: Whole-wheat fettuccine with marinara sauce. One cup of whole-wheat pasta has 197 calories and almost 4 grams of fiber. Add half a cup of marinara sauce for only 92 calories and just three grams of fat (one saturated).

5. Sausages
Most of us have never met a sausage we didn’t like. Drench them with maple syrup at breakfast or boil them in beer for the big game and you’ve got a crowd-pleaser every time. Unfortunately, a single pork sausage link packs 217 calories and 19.5 grams of fat – definitely not a waistline whittler.

Substitute: Chicken or turkey sausage. Five links of Aidell’s chicken apple sausage have only 100 calories and 8 grams of fat (2.5 saturated). Or go vegetarian: Boca Italian sausage made from soy protein has 130 calories per 2.5 ounce serving, six grams of fat and 13 grams of lean protein.

6. Fried Chicken
A fried chicken breast has nearly 400 calories and 22 grams of fat. The Colonel wouldn’t be happy to hear this, but those heaping platters of fried fowl have got to go.

Substitute: Grilled, skinless chicken breasts. Rub chicken breasts with a fiery spice rub like a green chile-lime seasoning, throw them on the grill and you’ve got great flavor for 189 calories per four-ounce breast.

7. Imitation Cheese in a Can
Hard as it is to believe, some people really love this stuff. But they ignore their protesting hearts: Two tablespoons – about the amount you’d put on two crackers – pumps in 276 calories and 21 grams of fat (13 grams of which are saturated).

Substitute: Blend a can of chickpeas with one fourth cup of tahini (a sesame seed paste available in any grocery), a few garlic gloves, some lemon juice, olive oil, a little ground cumin, and scoop the hummus up with warm pita bread. Hummus couldn’t be better for your heart; it’s full of fiber and protein – and a quarter cup has only 60 calories and five grams of fat.

8. French Fries
One large order (six ounces) of fast food fries has 570 calories, half of which are from fat (which is why, of course, we love them). If your restaurant order also includes 8 or 9 onion rings, add 276 calories and 16 grams of fat to your burgeoning waistline.

Substitute: Okay, this may sound weird, but sautéed tempeh, a fermented rice and soy mixture you can find in the refrigerated health-food section, can be used to make healthier French fries. Just slice, sprinkle with soy sauce and sauté in a little olive oil until brown. A half cup – about three or four half-inch slices – has 197 calories, is loaded with protein and offers a good source of iron, magnesium, zinc, and vitamin B6.

9. Spongy White Bread
You might as well have a candy bar. It offers little other than 65 calories per slice of white flour, a simple and rapidly digested carbohydrate that causes your blood sugar to rise and crash, like any simple sugar.

Substitute: Whole grain bread. For the same number of calories, a slice of whole-wheat bread offers nutty flavor, two grams of heart-healthy fiber plus protein and nutrients like selenium, magnesium and potassium.

10. Fried Wontons
These delicate little triangles, often filled with meat, shrimp or cream cheese, are deep-fried to a crispy crunch. Unfortunately, just four crab and cream cheese-filled wontons pack 311 calories and 19 grams of fat, too greasy a treat for anyone trying to stay fit.

Substitute: For a little crunch, try brown-rice sesame crackers. Five have just 140 calories and six grams of fat, one gram of fiber and a hefty dose of calcium. Just don’t eat the whole bagful.

For full link, http://www.lifescript.com/channels/food_nutrition/Nutrition_Tips/top_10_worst_foods.asp?page=1
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:08 am      Reply with quote
Imitation Cheese in a Can?

I'm shocked that such a product even exists? Why? And what actually is it? Shock
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:14 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:

I'm shocked that such a product even exists? Why? And what actually is it? Shock

Cheese Wiz! You actually squeeze it out of a can, liked whipped cream. It's gross. My boyfriend went though a period wher ehe loved it. Fortunately, he's moved on to Combos. Not much better, but kind of better.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:25 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
majorb wrote:

Cheese Wiz! You actually squeeze it out of a can, liked whipped cream. It's gross. My boyfriend went though a period wher ehe loved it. Fortunately, he's moved on to Combos. Not much better, but kind of better.

It sounds very strange. Is it like Philadelphia Cream Cheese?
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:06 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
violetanne wrote:
majorb wrote:

It sounds very strange. Is it like Philadelphia Cream Cheese?

Nope, its like our equivalent of processed cheese but in an aerosol instead of slices.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Ya, it's been reported that cheez whiz in a can could probably survive a nuclear blast! Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:55 am      Reply with quote
yeah it's so bad and lacking in any kind of nutritional value, apparantly even vermin won't touch it.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds revolting!

Give me good old, normal cheese any day!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
It sounds revolting!

Yes, it's quite a travesty of wonderful extrasharp cheddar cheese but then other kinds of cheese like limburger and head cheese are quite awful as well! Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:00 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
majorb wrote:
It sounds revolting!

Yes, it's quite a travesty of wonderful extrasharp cheddar cheese but then other kinds of cheese like limburger and head cheese are quite awful as well! Laughing

I actually think, if you can abide the smell, Limburger tastes really nice. But what the heck is "head cheese"? It sounds like the kind of stuff you might scrape out of your ears or nose or something. Shock

Blimey! This has been a very enlightening thread for me on dairy products! Laughing
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:51 am      Reply with quote
As for a sustitute to chips those rice cakes are really BAD. They are diabetes on a plate. Because they are puffed and have high surface area they give your blood a quick sugar spike.

Try some high fiber crunchies instead.
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:51 am      Reply with quote
My first husband was German and his family ate a lot of head cheese... I tried it once and if memory serves, it's not a dairy product, but rather some kind of gelatinous blob with bits of mystery meat inbedded and consumed with copious amounts of vinegar...? anybody else know - am I 'misremembering'?
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:50 am      Reply with quote
I think head cheese should be on the top 10 list. :-&

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_cheese
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I think head cheese should be on the top 10 list. :-&

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_cheese

Ah, it's what we in the UK call brawn. (Not that I'd ever actually eat the stuff myself.)
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
Isn't black pudding also filled with all kinds of gross stuff similar to head cheese? Laughing

This list forgot to include lutefisk, deep fried turkey and fried pork rinds. I lived in the dakotas for a few years. Many Scandinavian and eastern Europeans from the cold weather countries settled there, so I became acquainted with some of the Norwegian delicacies. Lutefisk is basically rotten fish cured in salt and vinegar so while the smell and taste may make you quite ill, it's well preserved enough not to REALLY make you ill. The old Norwegian bachelors tell you if you can get past the smell, you'll really like it. Unfortunately for me, there's a very deep relationship between taste and smell. If I don't like the way something smells, I certainly won't appreciate the taste! Laughing

I was also introduced to deep fried turky, which I felt was a travesty of a fat roasted bird. Embarassed

And where is the inclusion of deep fried pork rinds? That's gotta be bad for you! Laughing

All this talk about food, even bad food is making me hungry, think I'm gonna go and make some lunch... Wink

ddang
5% products discount

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
And what's worse is.. almost all of my favourite snacks are on that list *sigh
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:11 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Isn't black pudding also filled with all kinds of gross stuff similar to head cheese? Laughing

No, it doesn't contain the same stuff - but whether it's any more or less revolting is open to debate. Laughing

Black pudding is made with pig's blood, whereas brawn/head cheese (that name just cracks me up!) is made from an animal's head - I think usually a pig.

Is this topic still making you hungry now, Athena? Wink Laughing
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:10 am      Reply with quote
[quote="majorb"]
athena123 wrote:
Black pudding is made with pig's blood, whereas brawn/head cheese (that name just cracks me up!) is made from an animal's head - I think usually a pig.
Laughing

Well, that isn't technically correct as brawn is made of meat from the head (and sometime feet), not brain or anything like that. It is made in Scandinacia too, and actually doesn't taste bad at all. Wink It is a bit strange though that meat from an animals ass is less revolting to some people than it's head. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:20 am      Reply with quote
Noooo, lutefisk isn't rotten fish cured in salt and vinegar! Lutefisk is dried cod prepared in lye mainly, and it dosen't really have any special taste. It is not a fvourite of mine, but I can eat it. But I've heard in US there is a tinned type that is absolutely disgusting, and according to real Norwegians should be banned Laughing

athena123 wrote:
with some of the Norwegian delicacies. Lutefisk is basically rotten fish cured in salt and vinegar so while the smell and taste may make you quite ill, it's well preserved enough not to REALLY make you ill. The old Norwegian bachelors tell you if you can get past the smell, you'll really like it. Unfortunately for me, there's a very deep relationship between taste and smell. If I don't like the way something smells, I certainly won't appreciate the taste! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:54 am      Reply with quote
A friend of mine grew up in North Dakota and his family liked this lutefisk. He hates most regular fish now (will eat shellfish) but says he can't stand to be remined of the lutefisk.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Schnee wrote:
Noooo, lutefisk isn't rotten fish cured in salt and vinegar! Lutefisk is dried cod prepared in lye mainly, and it dosen't really have any special taste. It is not a fvourite of mine, but I can eat it. But I've heard in US there is a tinned type that is absolutely disgusting, and according to real Norwegians should be banned Laughing

Laughing I stand corrected Schnee - so instead of lutefisk being rotten fish it's actually poisoned with a deadly chemical kind of fish! Laughing I don't remember it being dried when I tried it, it was more gelatinous and I had to hold my nose to eat it. Sigh, I loved the sourcream, dill and cucumber salads I was introduced to but oops! We were talking about bad food, not the stuff we like!

majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:32 am      Reply with quote
[quote="Schnee"]
majorb wrote:
athena123 wrote:
Laughing

Well, that isn't technically correct as brawn is made of meat from the head (and sometime feet), not brain or anything like that. It is made in Scandinacia too, and actually doesn't taste bad at all. Wink It is a bit strange though that meat from an animals ass is less revolting to some people than it's head. Laughing

That's right, Schnee. Although you have to put the head in a pot and boil it, the very thought of which makes me feel ill. Shock Laughing The actual meat from it, though, is what's chopped up, as you say. I remember seeing all the pigs' heads on the butchers' stalls when we lived in France. I used to hurry past, trying not to look.

My husband did eat calf brain once, in cheese sauce. He said it tasted quite nice, but the texture was a little off-putting. That's another recipe I don't think I'll be trying anytime soon! Laughing

Are you Norwegian? Although I'm part-Norwegian myself, I've only ever visited Denmark of all the Scandinavian countries. I did absolutely love the bread, butter and dairy produce there, but I hate fish, unfortunately. Apparently, my grandma and great-aunt used to make the most amazing rollmop herrings from an old family recipe.
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:32 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Laughing I stand corrected Schnee - so instead of lutefisk being rotten fish it's actually poisoned with a deadly chemical kind of fish! Laughing I don't remember it being dried when I tried it, it was more gelatinous and I had to hold my nose to eat it. Sigh, I loved the sourcream, dill and cucumber salads I was introduced to but oops! We were talking about bad food, not the stuff we like!

It is actually dried, then laid in lye and then left in water to remove the lye. And the gelatinous consistency when cooked is normal, but it does also depend on how it's cooked. Laughing There's a lot of strange food around the world....

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
athena123 wrote:

No, it doesn't contain the same stuff - but whether it's any more or less revolting is open to debate. Laughing

Is this topic still making you hungry now, Athena? Wink Laughing

majorb thanks to all the "ahem... delicacies" mentioned in this thread I am NOT hungry anymore I think I'll start my diet now Laughing

Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Darn it, what gave me away? Laughing I bet it was the lutefisk.... Ok, I admit I am norwegian, and a food freak who knows too much about food. Food is fun, and there is always something new to discover. Very Happy

Calf's brain with cheese sauce? Never tried that, but I will taste if I ever get the chance. Strangly enough I react more to the combination of cheese sauce and brain than the actual brain thing...

majorb wrote:

Are you Norwegian? Although I'm part-Norwegian myself, I've only ever visited Denmark of all the Scandinavian countries. I did absolutely love the bread, butter and dairy produce there, but I hate fish, unfortunately. Apparently, my grandma and great-aunt used to make the most amazing rollmop herrings from an old family recipe.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |