Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Learning to Drive
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Argh I am so exhausted, I am learning to Drive!!!

I bought myself a small 'old banger' of a car (manuel) and dad is teaching me. The good think he is so patient and really should look at being an instructer!

I just never realised how hard it is, I can contorl the car, change gears without looking, I can even reverse park, 3 point turn and park into a bay.
This is all after 3 outings in the car so I don't think I am doing too bad.

What is frustrating is that as soon as I get onto the roads with other drivers about I start to panic and am suddenly aware how in control of the veihcle I have to be as there are no dual controls. Also the need to look at all the road markings + lights + pedestrians + other drivers + speed cameras.
Hill starts are also problematic Rolling Eyes

I expected to be in the car and driving straight away and was so full of confidence to start with, I just don't know where this sudden nervousness of the road has come from.

Please tell me I am not the only one Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
rosebud,
What you are experiencing is perfectly normal! It sounds like you are off to a good start with all the things you are doing well! You should be proud of yourself for learning how to drive on a stick shift. You'd be surprised how many people can't do it! I insisted my son learn on a stick shift, and boy was he mad at first! Years later, he told me what a blessing it was, because he could drive any vehicle.

With time and experience on the road, you'll do fine...all you need now is practice. Trust me, you will eventually get used to the traffic and multi-tasking.

The same for those hill starts. After a while, you will get a better "feel" for the clutch. But when you get in a different car, you'll have to adjust to that one as well. I can remember breaking out in a sweat when dealing with stopping on a hill, ESPECIALLY with an unfamiliar car.

Funny story...when we first moved to Hawaii, my mom rented an automatic because she was afraid she wouldn't pass the driving test with a stick! Very Happy

Hang in there, and just give it some time!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
rosebud...good for you . I am so happy you are going to get your license. Don't worry about being nervous when out on the open roads with other drivers. It is totally natural to have such feelings. I have had my license since I was 18 and still get nervous on highways Embarassed . I suggest you keep facing the fearful situations and soon you will feel in total control and be confident.

Unfortunately, I let DH and DD do most of the driving on city highways. If only I face my fears I would not feel uncomfortable in those situations.

Winnie

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Just think rosebud - you're learning how to drive a manual, which means you'll be able to drive ANYTHING once you get used to it. I know some people in their 30's and 40's who can't drive a stick shift because they never learned, which really limits them.

congratulations! Very Happy

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:53 am      Reply with quote
It's totally true - I learned how to drive on an automatic, and then when I had to learn on a stick it was SO hard - I think it's much better if you learn on a stick from scratch. And I have to tell you, my dear SO can't drive a stickshift, and it can be SO annoying if we just need to move my car to a different space or something, for example. But he never learned, and it's much harder to learn later on than from the get-go. If you travel in Europe, almost any car you rent or drive will be a stick (well, maybe that's changed from a few years ago, but I doubt it) and you'll always have better mileage and control. I may eventually get an automatic, just because I travel in stop-and-go traffic so much, but I like that I know how to drive a stick in a pinch.

Plus, you really will get better with time - the main thing that forces you into learning is necessity. So, the first few times you go out for a drive on your own, with no guide riding shotgun, you'll be nervous but it'll force you to learn. It's a painful process but it's over quickly and then it's so empowering to be able to get where you need without help! Good luck, you sound like you're doing great, and thank goodness you have a great instructor - I couldn't stand to learn from either of my parents, haha. I had a guy friend teach me. My mom still stomps on an imaginary brake pedal when she rides in my passenger seat - and it's been TEN years. And I do NOT drive wildly. We just make each other super-tense in cars, for some reason, haha. So it sounds like you're better off with your old man than I was with her! Laughing

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rosebud

On Tuesday I also cleared my written exam (all correct) and got learning license and now started to learn driving with my DH.

Oh lord i agree with you its really very exhausted.

You have to concentrate alot on signs, Pedestrian , other traffic and in my case listen to my DH also. You r lucky ur dad is patient. My poor DH get so much panicky that he starts yelling at me and now we decided that i will join driving school. As he also feel guilty of making me nervous but cant help it as he himself got nervous sitting beside me Very Happy

I am also facing the same issue that I can control the car, change gears and everything but
as soon as I get onto the roads with other drivers I start to panic and get nervous.

Now from tomorrow i'll join driving school.
they are charging $60 for 2 hours lets see how it works..

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi rosebud

What you're experiencing is completely normal and 3 lessons and you can do all that---well done! I remember when I was learning to drive it took forever to learn all those manoevers (sp?) cos I was stressed with being a nuisance to the other drivers and cos I absolutely hated my 1st driving instructors (sometimes we'd spend half the lesson argueing about something!!!). So you're very lucky that your dad is so patient with you.

As you practice more, you'll soon learn to multi-task and you'll automatically check your mirrors and signs and paedestrians once you get the hang of things.

Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thankyou everyone Smile
Well tonight we decided to just go back to basic and concentrate on junctions, stopping distances at junctions, hill starts and being able to find biting point as I am lifting off the handbrake so that it becomes one sweeping movement.
My confidence is back and tomorrow I want to go out late at night and drive around the town also go onto the dual carriageway.
One annoying habit I have is always wanting to go left, if dad says 'we will go right here', I automactically go left!

Ritas if I can do it you can too Very Happy
Here it is £20 per driving lesson which I think last an hour.
And to take the test:
-£48 for practical test
-£20 for hire of dual control vehicle during test.
-£56 for Theory test
I also didn't know that you have to be able to flip the bonnet and show where the oil, coolant, water go.
I can't believe how expensive it all is, I am lucky I have my own car and my driving instructor is happy with a good meal Laughing
It is also recomended to have up to 40 lessons!

I am starting to enjoy myself now.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:16 am      Reply with quote
I was justlike you; got really nervous in traffic when I learning to drive. I still get nervous on freeways and usually make someone else drive.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
I still get nervous when driving in the city! All that traffic does my head in Surprised

Luckily i dont need to go in much but when i do I feel sick to the stomach. I think its something im never going to get over. Crying or Very sad

Goodluck Rosebud. You are brave learning in a manual. I still cant drive one and im nearly 38!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:21 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:

Here it is £20 per driving lesson which I think last an hour.
And to take the test:
-£48 for practical test
-£20 for hire of dual control vehicle during test.
-£56 for Theory test

Holy smokes!!! Is it ever expensive in the UK (isn't everything?)... Hum, I think I'll take those Canadian winters after all! Ouch!

Best of luck to you, rosebud!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:06 am      Reply with quote
I actually got the price of the Theory test wrong it is currently about £21.50 and is due to go up to about £26 after September.
It is coming along very slowly, I will be doing really well then everything I have learnt will just disapear...I went the wrong way around a roundabout the other day, stalled at a main junction and kept going left when I was told right Rolling Eyes
I have a new respect for drivers now Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rosebud. Well done so far. it sounds as if you're doing really well. I learned to drive in an automatic car and passed my test in it, and years later I took some lessons in a manual car and found it was a nightmare! For years, I never had to worry about changing gear or using 2 pedals, and I just couldn't be doing with it so decided to stick with my automatics. Driving is so much easier but it does limit you when buying or borrowing a car! Good luck with passing your test.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rosebud Smile

I think you are doing well! I also learned to drive a stick (it was a non-power steering '72 Jeep that was my grandfather's). I am so glad I learned to drive on that thing... it might very well be why I am a good driver today. Wink

Anyway, the important thing is that it takes time and whatever happens don't get freaked out and refuse to drive. If an event happens that rattles you take a few minute break to gain composure if you must but ALWAYS get back on the road again. You don't want to create some psychological block against driving. (This happened to my mom when she was a teenager and it took her a couple of years to get back behind the wheel (after my aunt basically forced her to... she's glad she did too).) Actually, when I was learning to drive the Jeep I was 10 (my mom took me out on the mountain roads AWAY from other cars!) and I got confused and panicky at one point and met up with a tree. Good thing I was only going 10 mph and the Jeep had a foot deep bumper on the front. It didn't do anything to me but it did dent the poor 'ole tree. I was so scared and then my mom started laughing really hard and made me keep driving. I thought for sure she would be very displeased but she wasn't-- she just laughed and said everything was okay. Anyway, years later she told me she did that b/c she didn't want me to develop a fear of driving because a similar thing happened to her when she was young and she didn't get her license until she was 18 and even then didn't drive much. I'm so glad she made me keep driving after I gained back my composure. I think it actually really helped me deal with road situations.

The more you drive, the more comfortable you will be. Even think about starting out driving a lot around your neighborhood- where it's very familiar and build from there.

Good luck! The clutch will become very natural in no time. Wink

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Amnis I am in awe!! learning to drive at 10! Shock Laughing
The car I have has no power stearing and the gears are quite stiff too, but at least if I can drive this then when I get into the test car it should be a lot easier to drive.
I am getting in practice every day now and am starting to see some improvement, we practiced some of the test routes (there are about 16!) and I can't believe how hard some are...narrow streets, really steep streets with traffic lights at the top and then a roundabout straight afterwards.......argh Shock Laughing
I feel like I will be up to Nazzcar after this lot!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
Amnis I am in awe!! learning to drive at 10! Shock Laughing
The car I have has no power stearing and the gears are quite stiff too, but at least if I can drive this then when I get into the test car it should be a lot easier to drive.
I am getting in practice every day now and am starting to see some improvement, we practiced some of the test routes (there are about 16!) and I can't believe how hard some are...narrow streets, really steep streets with traffic lights at the top and then a roundabout straight afterwards.......argh Shock Laughing
I feel like I will be up to Nazzcar after this lot!

Yup, 10. I actually started driving on my mom or dad's lap when I was 6 Shock (just about a mile on a gravel road going 20 mph until we reached our cabin). And when I was a little kid (4 years old) my dad built my brother and I a little race go cart. I wasn't as bad as my brother who took off down the road with my dad chasing after him but with me, my dad ended up having to tie a rope around his waste and tether it to the go cart b/c I would whip around much too fast then he thought I ever would in our circular driveway and he got worried (especially after my mom came running out of the house all worried about it telling him he should not have built the thing to go as fast as it did- and my dad said he didn't expect us kids to take to the wheel and be as comfortable going as fast as we did).

So you actually drive a car they provide when you take your driving test? I'd think that would make you very uncomfortable to be that unfamiliar with a different car. Here in the states we are able to drive our own car so we are familiar with it. But I think you're right, you will be used to driving a much more difficult car so when you drive the test car it should be A LOT easier.

I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood b/c I'd have to be extra careful when I was on the road and watch out for you. Run for cover! Here comes Rosebud behind the wheel! Razz Nah, jk!!! I bet you will be a very good driver in no time. Wink Smile

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
girlygirl
5% products discount

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rosebud, my daughter is learning to drive at the moment and the other day she rounded a corner way to fast and knocked down a reflector post, it didnt damage the car much but it was covered with the bright yellow wildflower she also drove through. Laughing Her confidence has increased as her speed had decreased!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |