Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What Skincare or Beauty TrickHave You Been Unable to Master
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
I'm interested to know what women struggle with day in and day out, despite innovative products, new tools, improved formulas, "foolproof" application methods etc. Speaking for myself, it's mascara. My lashes are short and grow straight down. Curling before, curling afterward, curling midday, curling formulas, waterproof curling formulas, lengthening formulas. Zilch. Black racoon circles under my eyes before my noon coffee break. I gave up and started wearing liner. Am I the only battle weary one who has had to throw in the towel?
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
MMU Sad
Despite knowing all the positives, it just doesn't work for me! I'm not sure if its the brands i've tried, the tools, or my application technique (perhaps a combination of all these factors)
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Sadly, I don't know how to properly use eyeshadow. One day I will figure this out!
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
I am still "learning" how to sleep on my back but....hard to get through the first 5 minutes.
damblues
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Where to begin? I think I have mastered mascara on my top eyelashes but my bottoms give me such a problem. They are so thin that it seems like more mascara ends up on my skin under my eye than on my eyelashes. I use Diorshow on the top and love it but the brush is just too big for the bottom. I hate having to use 2 mascaras. I have to have mascara... my eyelashes, brows, etc.. are so blonde that I look like I do not have any.

Eyeshadow - I can do a couple of techniques but see so many that look awesome and I am still struggling to learn which brush to use for what.

Eyeliner - getting better but still cannot get that little lift at the end to look the same on both eyes!!

Undereye concealer when needed - no matter what brand, what technique - it never looks right!!

I wish I had the money to afford a makeup artist to do my makeup everyday. Very Happy Wouldn't that be heavenly? I would pay to attend some class to learn this stuff.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
I'm with Charis, I suck at applying eye shadow, and don't even ask about liquid liner. I was thrilled when I finally was diagnosed with declining vision, because I've always wanted to wear glasses, tee hee! Now that I do, I find that I can get away with less precise eye makeup application and you really can't tell with the glasses, but I still wish I knew how to do that hot triangle-thing where it really makes your eyes pop. I ought to pay for lessons but I've been taught by several friends, makeup artists, and friends who are makeup artists, and I never seem to get it down.

I also never really learned how to blow-dry my hair - it's super-thick and coarse and wavy, and it only gets BIG if I blow-dry. Thank God/Conair for flat irons - but I only recently learned to use one of those! And I've never tried but I'm quite sure I'd be no good at hot rollers. I just have so much hair that my dang arms get too tired!!! At least I'll probably never suffer from hair loss, but I definitely have the opposite problem, my hair is HUGE.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
CrazyForClooney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Blow drying hair straight/flat ironing, I give up.

Self Tanning, why does everyone else look good doing this but I look like a tie dye project gone bad ?

And I can't apply false eyelashes either. Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'm totally with ginnielizz on this one. I have always loved the clean, precise look that a liquid liner gives, but I have NEVER been able to use it on myself.

Also, the hair thing. Urgh! I'm Chinese, and living in China now for goodness sakes, so I see tons of girls walking around with smooth, silky hair and mine is always up in a ponytail because it always looks semi-crappy when I dry it myself. So sad.
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Oh yeah, self tanner, LOL! My clothes end up looking tanned while I have a sort of Appaloosa look. NOT pretty.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
Ha, no kidding, I'll never even TRY false lashes or self-tanning, because I know I won't be able to master either. Heck, I have trouble painting the nails on my right hand. Laughing And FORGET giving myself a French manicure, the kind I like best - no way!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
OCM.

Doing my hair.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hahaha!! I am loving this thread, you guys make me feel normal!

Hair, I think I have finally mastered. It's just a matter of making the effort, and regular haircuts.

All things makeup, however - I am sooo challenged. I will never find the perfect foundation...can't figure out what color I am! Too pale, too dark, too pink, too yellow...what color am I????Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
it would have to be choosing the right foundation and putting it on without looking like a clown lol or having that too much makeup cakey look. Therefore i dont use foundation lol but i would like to.

Also i dont no how people manage to use the liquid eyeliners round bottom and top outer eyelid. I would like to do that. but i dont have the skill Laughing
lorimcp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I can't do eye makeup well including eyeliner , I can't curl my eyelashes, really just don't understand what to do or maybe I just don't like squeezing something together right by my eye.

I've never been able to do my hair like the stylist does. I use MMU and it's not bad, but I still always look a little blotchy.

I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
I suck at: putting my hair in hot rollers, using a metal blemish extractor, and waxing my own bikini area. Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:38 am      Reply with quote
I have a problem with foundation. It always end up looking patchy and coming off during the day. I have tried primers, but the silicone in them seems to just encourage my skin to produce more oil and in turn gives more slip to my makeup. I have tried compact cream to powder formulas, oil-free formulas, tinted moisturizers, sheer bronzing liquids... You name it; nothing stays put. I also have to avoid any foundations with chemical SPFs as they irritate my skin.
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:46 am      Reply with quote
I cant get the smokey eye look no matter how much I try. It just makes me look like a raccoon and after an hour is even worse.

Hugs
janjan
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:06 am      Reply with quote
I have tried and tried, but I can't get the smokey eye look! I've watched a video online and read step-by-step directions in a magazine and I just can't get it!
I also have trouble with putting mascara on my lower lashes.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:28 am      Reply with quote
I'm fairly minimal when it comes to m/u.

Never been able to get the hang of eyeshadow (I always get a crease in my eyelids), cream blush, or contouring.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:31 am      Reply with quote
CrazyForClooney wrote:
Blow drying hair straight/flat ironing, I give up.

Self Tanning, why does everyone else look good doing this but I look like a tie dye project gone bad ?

And I can't apply false eyelashes either. Sad

i suck at all of these too!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Hey, I am good with makeup- eyeliner, eye shadow, mascara, foundation etc, no problem as I have been doing it on my face for neraly 20 over years. To me, its just a matter of practise makes perfect, I am sure the same to all you girls out there. Don't give up practising, trials and errors, all of you can master the skill and find out the best way to do your face.

But, my downside is hair , I just don't possess the interest and patience to train myself on doing my own hair, I mean to style it differently besides straight and/or pony tail all the times.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:55 am      Reply with quote
I'm no good at picking out lipsticks. I have a ton, maybe use one or two. I love buying them, but the color never seems right. I usually stick to colored glosses.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
applying eyeshadow. I can do a "barely there" job on it, because I'm so uncertain about how to do it. But even when I feel like I have a lot on (for me), it doesn't look like I have much at to others. And I get frustrated with all the steps that it seems to take to get pretty eyes.
damblues
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Talk about a validating post. We all have some issues. I have been using makeup for 30 plus years....I still struggle with some things (mostly how to do certain techniques).

Refreshing to remember that we all have something we need help with.

I do want to take a makeup class of some sort. I did community theater makeup and, god forbid, a couple tiny pageant girls... but that is not how we wear makeup. I know how to chisel a cheek, make a wrinkle with 2 color pencils, make an eye pop so you can see it from the audience, I can age you, etc... it is the normal everyday stuff that gets me often times!!

Deb
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
It is mascara and those lower lashes.
Also finding the right product and routine.
Linda
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |