Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Ridges on my poor toenails!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have noticed more and more lately that my toenails are developing really bumpy, pronounced ridges that make their texture very different from what it used to be. There's no fungus or discoloration or anything, the nails are just "rougher" than they were a few years ago. And my fingernails are still the same as ever, without increased ridge-ness.

Anyone know what causes this, or how to fix it? I suppose I could get one of those nail-buffing files, but I'm too lazy to do that on my toenails for the rest of my life - I'd rather figure out the cause! My mom used to have a nervous habit of picking at the cuticle on her thumb and index finger, and the nails grew in really horribly bumpy and ridged as a result - but I haven't subjected my poor tootsies to anything like that - I barely even wear pointy-toed shoes or high heels because I can't stand to be that uncomfortable! Any advice would be appreciated - I worry that they're only going to get worse with time. They're not falling off or anything, they just feel weird, and I don't want it to worsen to a point where they seem to have cracks in them like my boyfriend's fungus-ridden toenails! Shock

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
damblues
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Me too!! I have no idea what causes it. My fingernails are fine but my toenails have ridges that you can see!! I have no idea what causes it. Hope we can find out.

Deb
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
I keep wondering if maybe it's being enclosed in shoes all day, maybe something about not getting enough air/oxygen/sun - but then I've worn sandals for most of the summer so far, and while I like to keep my toenails painted during sandal seasons, I've been incredibly crazy and stressed until recently (just moved) and have barely had time to wash my face every night, let alone extras like polish my toes. So they've been "breathing" fine for at least a month, and they still seem to have worsened recently! It's so weird.

I really hope someone out there can chime in and offer up an idea or two - I might start using the fungus remedy I made for my boyfriend's toenails, even though I don't see any other symptoms, just in case this is Step 1 in a succession of toenail fungus symptoms or something. For those interested, I made an oil mixture containing neem, tea tree, and lavender in an EVOO base, and it seems to be slowly but surely clearing up his fungusy problem.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
From what I have read it is from dry nails. Try massaging some oil into them nightly. If you wear polish on your toes it can cause the nail to dry out, become brittle and develop ridges. My finger nails get that way when I have used too much detergent cleaning my house. Rolling Eyes Why don't you use a buffer to remove the ridges and try the oil to keep them smooth. There are so many oils out there that you can use.

Better yet treat yourself to a pedicure. Very Happy

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
damblues
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Ahhh that could be it. I wear polish a lot and certainly have been since the weather has gotten warm.

I will start doing that to see if it helps.

Deb
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:41 am      Reply with quote
Hm, that would make sense - and I often moisturize my cuticles on my fingernails, but rarely those of my toenails. Good idea, too, about buffing down the ridges and then starting treatment, so I know if it works! I like that nice scientific approach! Much better than leaving one set of toenails unanointed as a control group. Laughing Thanks, Winnie!

HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:15 am      Reply with quote
I get those ridges on my toenails and sometimes my thumbs if i haven't taken care of my cuticles...maybe i should start using the cuticle cream on my toes!
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:15 am      Reply with quote
My doctor said Problems with toenails can be a warning of many different health problems or disease.
Nail changes will occur before other symptoms start.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:12 am      Reply with quote
That makes sense - candida problems are often only manifested in toenail symptoms, but really they affect the whole body. But this doesn't seem like anything of that sort, as they're not discolored or anything - just mildly ridged. I'm trying to oil them every night now. Do you guys think a cuticle cream like Burt's Bees Lemon Butter would work OK for this? That's what I'm using right now.

HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:20 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
Do you guys think a cuticle cream like Burt's Bees Lemon Butter would work OK for this? That's what I'm using right now.

That's exactly what i've been doing the last couple nights! I tend to ignore my feet especially since I don't like being slimy when under my blankets, and i don't want to wear socks to bed during warm summer nights! I find if I put it on while watching tv or something before going to bed works just fine, and if I remember in the mornings, i might do it then too.
My cuticles are less rough, but i think it's going to take longer to see results compared to my fingernails as the skin is thicker.
VL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:58 am      Reply with quote
I have used Decleor Aromessence Ongles - Nail Treatment Oil in the past and my nails do look very healthy and shiny when I use this oil. EDS sells it.

My feet need tending, so, I usually apply rose oil (any oil would do) and then a cream mixed with prolagene. I do it twice a day - once in the morning and once before I go to bed.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |