Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Harry Potter and the Dealthy Hallows-- SPOILERS!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
I thought I would go ahead and make this thread for people who have ALREADY read the book. If you haven't read it, please don't read further!!!

My reaction... I loved it. I'm so sad it's over! There were some flaws, but definitely forgivable. It was a great conclusion to a wonderful ride.

Loved Mrs. Weasley kicking Bellatrix's evil ass! I would have liked Neville or Granny Longbottom to have the honors though. I was sooo sad when Hegwig died. Same with Dobby. I can't believe JKR killed off Lupin and Tonks, just because I thought they'd be safe b/c of the baby. Tonk's mom lost so many family members. Poor lady.

The epilogue was very cheesy, and it read like fan fiction. I didn't mind it too much though, since it IS supposed to be a children/young adult book. I can take some cheesiness. But I would have liked more information on other characters. I really hope JKR writes an encyclopedia that details what happens to all the characters.

It dragged a bit as they were searching for the Horcruxes. I really missed the usual setting of Hogwarts and I think the middle of the book suffered for it. I also wish Ginny could have been fleshed out more, not just in this book but throughout. I felt like a character like Luna got more than Ginny, and Ginny is supposed to be the love of Harry's life. Although JKR made it clear that Ginny is smart, a great witch, and talented, we didn't get to see much of it. It's all going on in the background.

But like I said before, overall I adored it and I couldn't put it down. Makes me want to reread the entire series again. Can't believe it's actually over. Sniff sniff. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I thought it was good--- a bit bloated, I'm not going to lie, but good. I was actually expecting Snape to die--- I read this article by Orson Scott Card where he said that Snape would turn out to be good, but he had to die because after Voldemort was killed we couldn't exactly picture Snape saying "Harry, old chap, how are you?" However, I do have a few bones to pick with the book:

First of all, I thought Snape's death was too sudden and anticlimactic--- V just thought he was killing another loyal slave. I would have preferred for Snape to go down in a blaze of glory, telling V to suck his b@lls and that he's been on Harry's side the whole time.

Next, I thought it was weak that after everything that happened, there's still animosity between the A team and the Malfoys. I mean, Draco was obviously miserable being forced to go along with all the nasty stuff that the Death Eaters were doing, so wouldn't he have figured out that Harry Potter wasn't so bad after all? And then his mom Cissy even shows where her real allegiance was by lying to V and sparing Harry in exchange for Harry telling her her son was OK.

I thought it was a very interesting twist that it was Snape was was helping them all along with the idea for the decoy Harrys, the doe patronus, etc. And yes, I thought it was nice that he named his son for Snape. I also thought it was interesting that Dumbledore admitted that he never took the position of minister because he knew that he was too power-hungry.

Oh, and before I forget, JK Rowling is totally on my sh*t list for offing headwig!!!!! She had a whole book full of beloved characters at her disposal, why headwig???

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
I cried over Hedgwick too. Ok, admitedly it would have been difficult to take her along in the tent but I'm sure Hagrid could have looked after her.

What I don't get is: Did Dumbledore mean for Harry to die all along? If there hadn't been the wand fluke, it's unlikley he would have been able to defeat V. I don't understand how him sacrificing himself would bring the end of V - the latter cursed him and they both fell, then came back (to life?). That part has so many holes in it. And, from D's initial plan, how would Snape owning the Elder wand help Harry defeat V?

Totally loved the Alien reference - "not my daughter, B***h".

Hated the epilogue. WT*?

The part in the ministry is too drawn out. And, I don't get how Ron flips so suddenly. They try and say taht it ws the horcrux but it's not clear at all.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:19 am      Reply with quote
skim wrote:
Loved Mrs. Weasley kicking Bellatrix's evil ass! I would have liked Neville or Granny Longbottom to have the honors though. I was sooo sad when Hegwig died. Same with Dobby. I can't believe JKR killed off Lupin and Tonks, just because I thought they'd be safe b/c of the baby. Tonk's mom lost so many family members. Poor lady.

I think after all the jumpers she's knitted, the food she's cooked, and the motherly support she's offered Molly was the perfect person to kill off Bellatrix. She's a mom and that creature was killing people and didn't care if they were children. Molly was all sunshine and cookies but go after one of her kids she played for keeps! Yay Molly!
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:45 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
First of all, I thought Snape's death was too sudden and anticlimactic--- V just thought he was killing another loyal slave. I would have preferred for Snape to go down in a blaze of glory, telling V to suck his b@lls and that he's been on Harry's side the whole time.

Snape dying when he did left Harry with the job of learning through Snape's memories the truth of the man he has always considered his biggest enemy other than Voldemort. Every time Voldemort looked at Snape and couldn't tell that the man wasn't on his side was in effect Snape telling him to, you know, the balls thing Embarassed

Quote:
Next, I thought it was weak that after everything that happened, there's still animosity between the A team and the Malfoys. I mean, Draco was obviously miserable being forced to go along with all the nasty stuff that the Death Eaters were doing, so wouldn't he have figured out that Harry Potter wasn't so bad after all? And then his mom Cissy even shows where her real allegiance was by lying to V and sparing Harry in exchange for Harry telling her her son was OK.

Draco was nothing more than a snobby opportunist just like his dad. They didn't mind following a monster as long as they didn't have to get their hands dirty. I think the animosity coming from Draco is tinged with shame as he knows what his part was in the war but would never admit his wrongs.

Quote:
I thought it was a very interesting twist that it was Snape was was helping them all along with the idea for the decoy Harrys, the doe patronus, etc. And yes, I thought it was nice that he named his son for Snape.

Yes, Albus Severus Potter a tribute to the 2 most important men in his formative years. He thought he knew both men but learned that people are more complicated than what you think and just how fast some information can change what you believe. Dumbledore was great for being able to recognize where he went wrong in the quest for acclaim and power. He knew his limitation when it came to the temptation that comes with power. He understood that he was capable of abusing absolute power so he became a teacher who could hopefully quide the young away from the mistakes he made.

Snape was an expert when it came to Occlumency or hiding the mind. The doe patronus is the symbol of the love that made him switch sides from Death Eater to Dumbledore's man. I think that when Lily died Snape's patronus (created out of the only posative inner thoughts) became Lily's doe. His motivation went from personal gain to love and Voldemort unable to comprehend the concept of love never detected the double agent under his nose. The chapter called "The Prince's Tale" was a good way for Harry to learn about the man who had that second page of a letter his mother had written so long ago.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:00 am      Reply with quote
so dumbledore isn't dead and harry isn't Snape's son? (damn, had money on that one!) And Harry doesn't die? Sorry lost heart on book 5 but I hate the teasing from the kids!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Well, Harry and Voldemort are sort of cousins - descending from the Peverells!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
I enjoyed the book. I agree that there were some slow spots (the wedding (esp. since Fluer and Bill play such a small role later) and Harry and hermione traveling around).

I had thought that harry was a Horcrux and Snape was good. I was afraid that they would kill Harry because of it and was glad that they didn't. I liked making Dumbledore more human.

It was interesting that the power of love was what made Snape able to keep his true feelings hidden from Voldemort. I enjoyed the part where Harry gets to see Snape's thoughts in the pensive.

The Malfoys were also consistent with the love theme because they loved Draco more than keeping with the Dark Lord (last scene where they did not participate in the fight but hunted for Draco (and pretended Harry was dead)).

As someone else said in the middle of the book I missed the other characters like Hagrid, Ginny, Luna and Neville.

I read it fast so when dh is done I'll read it again because it was fun.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:18 am      Reply with quote
What are people's thoughts on the fact that Harry carried a piece of V's soul in him for 17 years but wasn't affected at all?? We've seen what just the locket can do - how come he was ok?
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:55 am      Reply with quote
I think he was affected (darker mood esp. as he got older). I think the reason he wasn't spoiled is becasue of the love thing.

What was it about how Voldemort actually wekened himself by taking some of Harry's blood?
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with love. He couldn't kill Harry as he shared the same blood as him or the blood wouldn't let him kill Harry. Although this leaves open the question of how Harry can kill him if they share the blood. In the book, V technically killed himself as the curse rebounded.
blaziamm
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
For a long time, I have heard rumors that Harry will die in the end and I am so happy with this ending. Beautiful!
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Laughing Well, Harry and Voldemort are sort of cousins - descending from the Peverells!

OMG that is a good catch!! I never thought of that!
doh!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with love. He couldn't kill Harry as he shared the same blood as him or the blood wouldn't let him kill Harry. Although this leaves open the question of how Harry can kill him if they share the blood. In the book, V technically killed himself as the curse rebounded.

If you look to the last battle between Voldemort and Harry you will see why Voldemort died and why Harry would not have:

Harry gives Voldemort the chance to repent before they do the last spell.

Voldemort: Avada Kedavra!
Harry: Expelliarmus!

Voldemort used a killing spell that rebounded back to him and Harry used a defence spell. Voldemort wanted the kill, Harry wanted disarm Voldemort, nothing more.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:

Ok, well I have to say that I totally called it about Harry being a Horcrux. You shouldn't doubt me!! Laughing But, yeah, Harry really didn't kill Voldemort, did he? Voldemort essentially killed himself.

I also have the feeling she's going to continue the story somehow. Don't ask me how, cause I don't know, But there was just something forced about the epilogue that made me think she's going to continue, not with Harry, but with the story of Hogwarts, perhaps.

Other thoughts-- I thought there would be something more at the end with Draco, but I think, like someone already said (Rufus?), you're supposed to understand that he's rather ashamed with himself by not admitting what role he played. The Malfoy's are incapable of being humbled. Arrogant to the core.

Also, Harry was affected by carrying a piece of Voldemort's soul around with him for 17 years. It didn't drive him completely mad, but it did torture him. The seeing into Voldemort's mind, etc. If it killed him or drove him mad, well, we really wouldn't have seven books would we?
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
I thought it was good--- a bit bloated, I'm not going to lie, but good. I was actually expecting Snape to die--- I read this article by Orson Scott Card where he said that Snape would turn out to be good, but he had to die because after Voldemort was killed we couldn't exactly picture Snape saying "Harry, old chap, how are you?" However, I do have a few bones to pick with the book:

I thought it was a very interesting twist that it was Snape was was helping them all along with the idea for the decoy Harrys, the doe patronus, etc. And yes, I thought it was nice that he named his son for Snape. I also thought it was interesting that Dumbledore admitted that he never took the position of minister because he knew that he was too power-hungry.

Oh, and before I forget, JK Rowling is totally on my sh*t list for offing headwig!!!!! She had a whole book full of beloved characters at her disposal, why headwig???

I thought the way Snape died was rather appropriate. At the point in the story, we the reader are still not sure about his true allegiance. So him going out in a blaze of glory wouldn't have made much sense; also, Snape wasnt so much a blaze of glory type of guy. And, from a storytelling point of view, it really couldn't have happened any other way--Harry needed to collect the memory from Snape, so he needed to go out quietly. Also, Snape wasn't so much on Harry's side; he was on Lily's. I still got the impression he didn't care much for Harry, but he promised to Dumbledore to keep him safe so that Lily didn't die in vain.

I think Hedwig dying early on-- well, I'm not sure why rowling did it except as a shock of 'reality.' Perhaps to prime you for the deaths to come. I think the worst was Fred. I knew one of the Weasleys was going to go, and I was sure it was going to be Percy when he showed up at the last moment. I was pretty broken up when Fred was killed. Then Remus and Tonks! And for some reason I kept thinking Hagrid was going to die, but Im glad he made it to the end.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:05 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:

Ok, well I have to say that I totally called it about Harry being a Horcrux. You shouldn't doubt me!! Laughing

I bow to thee, oh Violetanne on the fluke horcrux. Still don't buy the fact that the horcrux didn't take him to the dark side. Harry didn't seem to mind too much seeing into Voldy's mind this time round! Wink [Yeah, yeah, I know he seemed in pain but the outcome appeared to be worth it.] and still, can't understand how V, who;s a legilimens (sp?) master didn;t sense Harry looking in.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
violetanne wrote:

Ok, well I have to say that I totally called it about Harry being a Horcrux. You shouldn't doubt me!! Laughing

I bow to thee, oh Violetanne on the fluke horcrux. Still don't buy the fact that the horcrux didn't take him to the dark side. Harry didn't seem to mind too much seeing into Voldy's mind this time round! Wink [Yeah, yeah, I know he seemed in pain but the outcome appeared to be worth it.] and still, can't understand how V, who;s a legilimens (sp?) master didn;t sense Harry looking in.

Yes, I was wondering why Voldemort couldn't sense that Harry was seeing into his mind. I'm sure it was explained in previous books, but I can't remember. It was almost a ghost in the machine that Harry was able to see in to Voldemort's mind because what he saw usually made the plot move forward, usually leading to Harry be triumphant-- acheiving his goals.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
I too was always weirded out by Voldy not knowing when Harry was flashing into him - it seemed like it would only be logical that he would sense that connection being active, too.

So yeah, I finally finished! Late, but no one spoilered anything for me, so I was pleased.

I thought it dragged a bit in some places, and I TOTALLY agree about wanting to know more about Ginny and about having her fleshed out a bit more - and not just because she's my namesake. Wink I also liked how the whole Snape thing played out, as I agree that he wasn't really a blaze-o'-glory kinda guy, and also that he was more in it for Lily than for Harry - he was sort of begrudgingly supporting Harry, and we saw that in his conversations with Dumbledore about how Snape was only seeing what he wanted to see, etc. when he complained about Harry's bad marks in Potions and whatnot.

I honestly think it's kind of cheap that Harry didn't full-on die - the whole heaven-cloud-King's-Cross-Dumbledore conversation really kind of irked me, I thought it seemed very forced and like cop-out ending. Not that I think I could've written or designed a better one, haha. I just felt like it was a bit anticlimactic.

I did really like seeing how grown-up some of the Hogwarts students became - and though I wasn't much for the epilogue (contained nice info but still felt cheesy, I agree), I liked seeing how Neville became a professor after having suffered academically for so many years. She did a really good job with his herbivorous development over the books, don't ya think?

And oh, Hedwig. That broke my heart, but I did think it served its purpose as a "wake up and smell the terror" kinda device. Same with Tonks and Lupin - and I took that to mean that Harry is going to be godfather to the kid, so why wasn't he in the epilogue? Did the kid die too? They never explained that part, but I feel like it's good that the kid was orphaned (if that was the case) because it's sort of symbolic, just like Harry was orphaned at the hands of Voldemort. Poignant and sad, but it makes sense. So where was he in that darn epilogue? (That last bit is only now occurring to me - can anyone fill in that plot hole for me?).

I love that Ron and Hermione finally get together, and even though the epilogue seemed weirdly written, it was still a really sweet glimpse into everyone's future.

Okay, I'm feedbacked out. I'm so sad there's no more reading to do! I so enjoyed it all!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Ginnie, Teddy Tonks was in the epilogue. He was making out with a girl and (can't remember the name of her), and one of Harry's children told all the grown-ups about it, and Harry comments that Teddy is at their house all the time.

At least I think that's how it goes. Smile
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Harry is the godfather of Lupin/Tonks. I think it's Teddy and he's the one snogging the girl - Victoire I believe, who;s Fleur and Bill's daughter. Harry also says something about Teddy eating dinner at his place all the time.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Aha, aha, aha. I totally missed that. Might have to re-read the epilogue now! Thanks gals. Smile

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
Ginnie, Teddy Tonks was in the epilogue. He was making out with a girl and (can't remember the name of her), and one of Harry's children told all the grown-ups about it, and Harry comments that Teddy is at their house all the time.

At least I think that's how it goes. Smile

Yes, I forgot the name of the girl too at the moment.. but it is a COUSIN of Harry's kids.. so I presume it is the daughter of Bill and Fleur (age would be about right presuming they had a child not to long after Voldy's downfall..)

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:39 am      Reply with quote
It's Victoire (Victory in French) - can totally see Fleur choose that name!
hardtohandle

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I loved the book and cried really hard over Fred. Crying or Very sad
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |