Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Alima worth trying?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
I've just recieved an email informing my that the famed #25 brush i available as I had been placed on their waiting list. I had originally been waiting to order Alima samples so that I could save on shipping when I got the brush, so during the wait I had tried EDM and Lumiere. Well, as I've posted elsewhere, EDM and Lumiere were just not wowing me by any means! I sooo want to like MMU since I know it'd be better for my skin that my current liquids and pressed foundations, but found the MMUs i've tried to be too chalky in finish, make my pores clogged and appear MUCH larger and deeper, and did not provide enough coverage (and with building, it looked cakey), and by midday, it was as if I wasn't wearing any makeup at all (not in the good au natural look, but in the show every flaw way Sad)

For those who've tried these or other brands, was Alima that much different that it'd be worth taking the plunge and getting the brush and samples?
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi HannaLee,

Have you tried spritzing your face after you apply your MMU? Also, what kind of brush are you currently using?

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Hello,

Yes, Alima is worth it! I've tried so many MMUs, Bare Essentials, Purminerals, Laura Mercier. Alima is the best...it isn't as chalky. I was able to find a color that would match and it doesn't sit in my pores!
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:42 am      Reply with quote
I know manslayerliz uses their stuff too, and she recently turned me on to them - I'll PM her and see if she wants to chime in here. Smile

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
While waiting for the Alima brush to come back in stock, I was using my MAC blush brush.

After reading all the raves everyone had for Alima I'm still tempted to order and try, but considering my experiences with lumiere and EDM I can't imagine it being worth me bothering!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Im not using my #25 anymore, Id be happy to wash it and send it to you if you like. Its less than 6 months old and in excellent condition.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
kd
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
Hello,

Yes, Alima is worth it! I've tried so many MMUs, Bare Essentials, Purminerals, Laura Mercier. Alima is the best...it isn't as chalky. I was able to find a color that would match and it doesn't sit in my pores!

I have a ton of samples of Alima and am having a tough time matching my skin tone.
Also, it's odd, but it seems to wear off and get more chalky as the day progresses. I like it best right after I first put it on.
Anyone else have that problem?
Did the misting thing and followed the directions.
Hmmmm

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
kd wrote:
skincarefreak wrote:
Hello,

I have a ton of samples of Alima and am having a tough time matching my skin tone.
Also, it's odd, but it seems to wear off and get more chalky as the day progresses. I like it best right after I first put it on.
Hmmmm

Hi kd,

I had a hard time finding a color match as well. I ended up e-mailing Alima and they suggested a color that worked for me. As far as it wearing off...I haven't noticed that as being any different from any other mmu. I tend to reapply my sunscreen before I drive home from work...Once I do that I reapply.
kd
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
kd wrote:
skincarefreak wrote:
Hello,

Hmmmm

Hi kd,

I had a hard time finding a color match as well. I ended up e-mailing Alima and they suggested a color that worked for me. As far as it wearing off...I haven't noticed that as being any different from any other mmu. I tend to reapply my sunscreen before I drive home from work...Once I do that I reapply.

good to know. I'll give it a shot - AGAIN. I have to admit that so far I'm loving the liquid MMU from NCN. Alima did make a recommendation re: color match, which I followed.

Over the weekend, both were put to the test (a weekend away and late nights - wahooooooooo). Only the liquid MMU hung in there so that I didn't worry about touch ups.

I'm willing to give it all another try . . . especially if it includes a weekend of fun and frolic. Cool But I'm still leaning toward the liquid MMU, especially after teaching two Aerobic classes with a thin layer of the liquid MMU on and it soooooooooooo held up to the sweat test.

You never know . . . Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried Bare Minerals, Alima, Everyday Minerals, and Laura Mercier.

All of them accentuate my pores. Alima and LM were the best in terms of natural finish.

I think I am not meant for MMU, unless maybe it's a liquid MMU. I still haven't tried one.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:06 am      Reply with quote
kd wrote:
skincarefreak wrote:
Hello,

Hmmmm

Hi kd,

I had a really hard time finding a match too. I thought at first I was an N1 (after trying samples) and then after I ordered the full size I realized after about a week or so that it actually wasn't the right shade on me... it was too pink or orangey or something... hard to figure out. Anyway, I ordered a bunch of samples again including a shade recommended by Alima's makeup artist: O-0 (the light olive shade). I don't really have olive skin (I have blonde hair, blue eyes for pete's sake!) but it actually matches my skin very well. It doesn't have a lot of color in it but still covers well. It's hard to explain! I tried mixing all kinds of combinations of W-0, W-1, N-0 and O-0 and found that using W-0, W-1 and O-0 worked out best. Then I found mostly O-0 worked so I just ordered a full size of that. I still might order some W-0 though. I ALSO tried mixing in a bit (<10%) of Alima's Lumina illuminating shimmer powder and found that helped too. Also, try aiming to match your neck. That might help you find a good match...

Anyway, as far as having issues with MMU as the day grows longer, I think it's a fact of life with any type of foundation if you have oilier skin types, at least it is for me anyway. BUT what HELPS a lot for me is to apply either Carekate's pearl and silk dust or Jurlique silk dust half way through the day (in addition to before and after I apply my MMU). Carekate's is currently my fav. My usual routine is as follows: I apply it before my MMU, apply my MMU, apply bronzer and blush, apply mineral concealer (if I feel like using it that day- I'm still "playing" around w/mineral powder concealer), spritz my face and let dry, apply my cream concealer and then finish off with Carekate's silk dust. Have you ever tried using a primer and finisher such as the aforementioned powders?

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:54 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
Im not using my #25 anymore, Id be happy to wash it and send it to you if you like. Its less than 6 months old and in excellent condition.

Hi vonstella,

I'm wondering why you've stopped using the #25 from alima. Have you found another brush you like better? Care to share? Smile

montrealgal
rainbow_listic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:30 am      Reply with quote
i am a newbie in Alima, just started using their pdts. i would say - YES! this mmu is certainly worth trying. i will consider getting the brush next time too.. hiak..

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:38 am      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
kd wrote:
skincarefreak wrote:
Hello,

Hmmmm

Hi kd,

I had a really hard time finding a match too. I thought at first I was an N1 (after trying samples) and then after I ordered the full size I realized after about a week or so that it actually wasn't the right shade on me... it was too pink or orangey or something... hard to figure out. Anyway, I ordered a bunch of samples again including a shade recommended by Alima's makeup artist: O-0 (the light olive shade). I don't really have olive skin (I have blonde hair, blue eyes for pete's sake!) but it actually matches my skin very well. It doesn't have a lot of color in it but still covers well. It's hard to explain! I tried mixing all kinds of combinations of W-0, W-1, N-0 and O-0 and found that using W-0, W-1 and O-0 worked out best. Then I found mostly O-0 worked so I just ordered a full size of that. I still might order some W-0 though. I ALSO tried mixing in a bit (<10%) of Alima's Lumina illuminating shimmer powder and found that helped too. Also, try aiming to match your neck. That might help you find a good match...

Anyway, as far as having issues with MMU as the day grows longer, I think it's a fact of life with any type of foundation if you have oilier skin types, at least it is for me anyway. BUT what HELPS a lot for me is to apply either Carekate's pearl and silk dust or Jurlique silk dust half way through the day (in addition to before and after I apply my MMU). Carekate's is currently my fav. My usual routine is as follows: I apply it before my MMU, apply my MMU, apply bronzer and blush, apply mineral concealer (if I feel like using it that day- I'm still "playing" around w/mineral powder concealer), spritz my face and let dry, apply my cream concealer and then finish off with Carekate's silk dust. Have you ever tried using a primer and finisher such as the aforementioned powders?

I've tried primers with mixed results. I actually am trying to order the pearl and silk dust from Carekate. I'm guessing she's either busy or unable to respond yet. I'll give it a shot when she responds. Still have plenty of samples left.
Still leaning toward the liquid MMU. Fewer steps, still good for the skin and looks great and lasts without touch ups.
Thanks for the info and advice. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:47 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
vonstella wrote:

Hi vonstella,

I'm wondering why you've stopped using the #25 from alima. Have you found another brush you like better? Care to share? Smile

montrealgal

No, not another brush, Im actually mixing jojoba oil with my Alima MMU and applying it with my fingers. It looks so much more natural than a dry application, meaning my pores dont look huge and Im not getting that creepy deathmask after effect.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
kd
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:50 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
montrealgal wrote:
vonstella wrote:

Hi vonstella,

montrealgal

Wow! Jojoba oil? What an interesting idea. Would it work with squalane do you think?

No, not another brush, Im actually mixing jojoba oil with my Alima MMU and applying it with my fingers. It looks so much more natural than a dry application, meaning my pores dont look huge and Im not getting that creepy deathmask after effect.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
kd wrote:
vonstella wrote:
montrealgal wrote:
vonstella wrote:

Hi vonstella,

montrealgal

Wow! Jojoba oil? What an interesting idea. Would it work with squalane do you think?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:58 am      Reply with quote
Im sure it would work with any oil that is suited to your skin type. You just have to play around with the ratio to see what works, like if you need more or less moisture or coverage.

skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
kd wrote:
skincarefreak wrote:
Hello,

Hmmmm

Hi kd,

I too had tried W-2 (too light and ashy), W-3 (too much yellow in it). It was suggested by a make-up artist I try O-1. Perfect match! I think the olives are just more beigy...they don't have the other undertones.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:01 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
montrealgal wrote:
vonstella wrote:

Hi vonstella,

montrealgal

Very interesting! I need to look into that.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:28 am      Reply with quote
When you do let us know what you think!

kd
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Okay . . . had to try the oil with the Alima MMU and it worked!!!
I took a little of the O2 and a little of the N3 and mixed it with a pump of squalane and voila! Glow!!!

I'm going to play a little more. This is great for when I want to save the liquid MMU from NCN. The benefit of that one is that it contains other skin loving ingredients like DMAE so it's my "Precious". Laughing

Thanks for the tip! That's why I love this forum. I learn so much stuff!!!!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Wow, Vonstella, what a cool idea! I'm still getting used to the idea of my concealer being powder-only, but I never thought to mix it myself even though I'm a DIY gal, haha. That's awesome. I might even try mixing with tea tree oil for acne coverage, or even blending it with a bit of my (oddly moisturizing) acne serum. Yay!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:

I too had tried W-2 (too light and ashy), W-3 (too much yellow in it). It was suggested by a make-up artist I try O-1. Perfect match! I think the olives are just more beigy...they don't have the other undertones.

Hi skincarefreak. Yeah, I guess that's what it is- that the olives don't have the undertones. I never ever thought I am an olive tone and I don't think I am, it just happens that the Alima's olive shade works for my skin tone. Glad you found a good match too. Smile

manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
That's a great tip, VS! I can't wait to try it! I'm a long-time user of Alima and it's the highest quality MMU I've ever tried. If anyone is ordering the #25 brush, I would definitely recommend trying a few of the foundation and concealer samples along with it.

Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |