Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Looking for an *effective* but natural deodorant
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi folks, I decided it might be time to give up on my Lush deodorant I've been using in favor of something better. I'm big on using very natural products, i.e. no propylene glycol, aluminum salts, or Triclosan in my deodorant - but most natural formulations are crap for effectiveness. They leave you sweaty or stinky or both, and some have weird side effects.

So I finally found [url'http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/2170?expand=Closeup]Lush Aromacreme[/url], which is a big creamy log that they slice a chunk off of. You have to rub it in with your fingers, and the bottom line is that it's the most effective natural thing I've ever found - but it has a freaky side effect.

It makes your underarm skin peel! This doesn't happen to everyone, but if you look on the Lush forums, it's experienced by a lot of people. It can also really sting sometimes or turn your skin red and irritated or brown and dry (right before it peels - it's kind of a cycle). I find that using just a tad, and using it on totally dry skin, and not using it right after shaving, helps a lot - but who wants to put all those conditions on a deodorant!?

So I'd like to know if you fellow EDS natural gals have any alternatives to suggest - are there any long-lasting, odor- and wetness-busting deodorants that are natural, or at least mostly so? And if not, do any of you make DIY deodorant? I may try recreating Lush's formula without the synthetics, but I think the baking soda is probably what makes it absorb moisture and what makes it irritate me, so I may be out of luck. I previously thought it was the magnesium carbonate, but someone on EDS tipped me off that that's actually pretty common in many makeups, and isn't usually an irritant. So I don't know! Maybe it's the fragrance? Anyway.

It's summer, I'm sick of red blotchy stinging peely armpits, but I'm also not interested in harsh chemical "traditional" deodorants, nor am I interested in half-assed "natural" ones (and I've tried Alba, Kiss My Face, Desert Essence, Jason's, Tom's of Maine, and probably more that I can't remember). Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
gottaHAVEitALL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
I was also on all-out search for a natural deodorant at one point, but gave up out of frustration. I tried the Weleda Citrus Deodorant (among a few others)... and let's just say I didn't smell minty-fresh throughout the day, and I'm sorry, that's a deal breaker. I'm not quite ready to run through fields of sunflowers with my hairy pitts in Birkenstocks with socks and full-on Grizly Bear legs singing to the birds...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hehehehehehe exactly. I'm a "hippie" to a point, but I don't like to look it! Here's hoping there's some magical thing out there... I may seriously just DIY my own deodorant based on a few ingredients and ideas that I have, and see what comes of it. It can hardly be *worse* than the burn-dry-peel-burn cycle I'm in now!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
allileigh

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
The best I've found--and I've tried a lot--is Oyin - Butter (google it--I'm new and I'm not sure if I can link). I got the cocoa mango scent, and it smells incredible. It actually lasts all day! It's another one that you have to rub in with your fingers, which is kind of a pain. I also need to use a bit of water to get it to spread--I've been using some leftover spray crystal deodorant that never really worked.

It can sting a lot if you use it right after shaving, but I've gotten around that by putting on some aloe first if I happen to shave before using it.

I guess that sounds like kind of a complicated routine just for deodorant Smile But it has been worth it!
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
I use Jason Tea Tree deodorant (roll-on). I recommend it. The smell is soft and doesn't irrirate my skin when I put it on after I shave.

Here's a quick blurb about it:

A natural deodorant with tea tree oil for safe and effective all-day protection. Non-sticky, dries in seconds. Contains no alcohol, aluminum chlorohydrate, irritating chemical bactericides or animal by-products.

Contains glycerin (vege), vegetable starches, octyl palmitate, purified talc, glyceryl stearate & PEG-100 stearate allantoin, stearyl alcohol, zinc ricinoleate, DL-panthenol, xanthan gum, vitamin E propylene glycol, dicaprylate-dicapriate, potassium sorbate, methylparaben tea tree oil, herbal fragrances (kiwi, lilac, hyacinth, rose, spice, lavender & seaweed), imidazolidinyl urea.
lifeisbeautiful
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
I am also constantly on the lookout for an ideal deodorant. Would like to try the 'crystal' type (a solid 'rock' that you wet and apply to your armpits). Anyone tried this and have any comments? I have tried a few roll-ons after 'MUM' was apparently discontinued (could not find it in the market anymore) including the ORBIS (raved earlier in this forum) but all are not satisfactory Crying or Very sad .

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=5804

You might wanna take a look at this product. I've used it this summer and although it doesn't do much for underarm wetness, I find that it does control odor. It's SOOOO difficult to find a natural deoderant that covers both dryness and odor. I'm looking forward to further responses!

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Lifeplyr01, I cannot see the item by this link - but I guess you were refering to the deodorant stick?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:13 am      Reply with quote
Try Crystal Spring Natural body Deodorant. I got this in Holland and Barrett for 8 euro and it lasts for ages and does not stain clothes and is effective, I have used this for years.
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:21 am      Reply with quote
I recently switched to Ombra Deo Roll-on and I relly like it. Gives me a good odour protection that lasts a whole day.

Here is a blurb on it from the internet:

Concerned about the link between aluminum chlorohydrate and Alzheimer's? We suggest this all-natural formula for reliable odor protection all day long. Tested by dermatologists, it has a skin neutral pH balance and contains essential chamomile oil to prevent irritation. Dries clear, won't stain, and has a clean, pleasant scent. 1.7 oz. roll-on bottle. Features:... Contains no aluminum chlorohydrate Dries clear and won't stain Has a clean, pleasant scent Dermatologists-approved, all-natural deodorant is a safe, gentle alternative to brands the drugstores carry.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I use Now Long Lasting Deodorant Stick. I've tried out many different brands of natural deodorants and this is my favorite so far.
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:10 am      Reply with quote
lifeisbeautiful wrote:
Lifeplyr01, I cannot see the item by this link - but I guess you were refering to the deodorant stick?

Sorry about the link..not sure why it didn't display. Here's another link for reference. I got mine from my local healthfood store.

http://www.livingforlifeherbs.com/store/product.php?productid=2610&cat=44&page=1

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Dr Hauschka works for me.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Weleda Citrus deodorant spray is my favorite. It's hot TX summer now and I get decent results with it. I do have some days that it doesn't hold up so well, and other days in the summer that it works great -- I'm about 75% working great with it in the summer, which is the true test for me. All other times of the year, Weleda has really kept me pretty close to odor-free.

Oyin - Butter gave me a bad rash after a couple of weeks of use. Odd that it happened down the road like that, but it took a while to undo the rash and I stopped using it. However, when the Oyin was working for me, it helped with odor *and* perspiration.
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I've used a lot of different natural deodorant's with varying success. I have finally found one that seems to work as good as any of the ones found in the drug store - it is called Liken Plant unscented by Earth Science. I got it at my local health food store (I'm in Canada). It goes on smooth and it's invisible. I've been using it for about a month now and it works even in +40 degree weather. HTH.
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote
SIMLPY DIVINE BOTANICALS!!!! It is really amazing. The best I've tried.
It comes in a spray. I have Tangerine scent. The scent does not linger. It is really effective. My best friend uses this and loves it as well.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:53 am      Reply with quote
I've been using something I picked up at The Vitamin Shoppe called Naturally Fresh Deodarant Crystal Roll-On with fairly decent results. It doesn't stop the wetness, but stops the odiferous "pit odor" I find so obnoxious! Laughing

On the extremest, hottest days of summer, however, I will confess to using anti-perspirants.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Natural lMineral Salts [potassium alum], xantham gum, phytosphingosine, chamomile extract.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using a crystal deodorant for a few years. It is great but doesn't work for wetness (if you perspire a lot). I use HENRI BERNARD's crystal deodorant. Buy it at Superstore in Canada, inexpensive. Costs a little more at health stores.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
lifeisbeautiful wrote:
I am also constantly on the lookout for an ideal deodorant. Would like to try the 'crystal' type (a solid 'rock' that you wet and apply to your armpits). Anyone tried this and have any comments? I have tried a few roll-ons after 'MUM' was apparently discontinued (could not find it in the market anymore) including the ORBIS (raved earlier in this forum) but all are not satisfactory Crying or Very sad .

Hi Lifeisbeautiful,

I started using the crystal rock a couple of months ago and really like it. I first spritz my underarms with either Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel toner or Dr Hauschka's clarifying toner (I am using it up on my underarms... I stopped using it on my face) and then rub the crystal under my arms. This deodorant doesn't do anything for wetness but it's pretty darn good for odor- the best all natural I've used. But when I work out I get a bit smelly so I need to find another solution for that. As long as my sweating doesn't get too out of control, like on a normal calm day where I don't sweat too much (but a little), it's great. I love that it doesn't stain and doesn't leave any residue.

Still trying to find a more heavy duty all natural deodorant...

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
Lucinda wrote:
SIMLPY DIVINE BOTANICALS!!!! It is really amazing. The best I've tried.
It comes in a spray. I have Tangerine scent. The scent does not linger. It is really effective. My best friend uses this and loves it as well.

This is intriguing... I found their website and they sell samples Smile:

http://www.simplydivinebotanicals.com/onlinemarket.html

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:05 am      Reply with quote
You know, I think I saw this stuff for sale at the dispensary where my naturopath practices, I'm going to have to give it a try! I remember thinking it was interesting that the deodorants had a secondary purpose, i.e. encouraging lymphatic drainage, etc. I didn't see the smaller sizes for sale there, so I'm probably going to order a couple online. I don't mind layering a spritz with another deodorant too. I've tried Weleda's travel ones before without much success, but the - Butter sounds very cool - similar to my Lush (both in application and in that they give you a rash, haha) but who knows, I might react better to that one! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll letcha know how things work...

chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:15 am      Reply with quote
Lucinda, does the Simply Devine deodorant combat wetness?
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:22 am      Reply with quote
I tried tom's natural roll on lavender deo and find it good. Its all-natural , safe, gentle and my skin which is sensitive doesn't get irritated.
And it doesnt smell very strong.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:22 am      Reply with quote
By saying 'And it doesnt smell very strong.' I mean it has very light fragrance.

5% products discount

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I like real purity and aubrey's high C
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |