Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Has anybody use Almay or genesis Mineral Makeup Powder
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
I want to buy a mineral foundation powder.
I have lots of different brand foundation that i bought and used only twice as couldnt find appropriate color. I have tried so many options that includes maybeline,loreal,covergirl and MAC.But none suit me and i just have almost full bottles of all and I am still in search of good shade.
Few days back I went to mall and there I tried mineral powder on my face at night time. I checked that in both white and yellow light and it was looking better. Its name is genesis cost $40.
I checked this over google but couldnt find anything with same brand.
So i am just wondering is this local and worth $40 or not i also checked Almay Mineral Makeup Powder at longdrugs thats just $14 and was wondering should i give it try.
Just wanted to check here...Has anybody used it and if yes how do you like it.
My skin color is brown(indian origin) so wondering which shade i should go for light medium or medium.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have not heard of Genesis. I have not tried the Almay. BUT, if there is a place that has a bare escentuals counter (I do not like it as a MMU) you can go mess around with the colors and see what looks good on you. Also, Merle Norman has a MMU (only 4 shades right now) but, same thing, you could try some on and see which one looks good on you. That might give you an idea of the color to be looking for.

I am sure other brands have testers but I do not know which ones.

Deb
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
damblues wrote:
I have not heard of Genesis. I have not tried the Almay. BUT, if there is a place that has a bare escentuals counter (I do not like it as a MMU) you can go mess around with the colors and see what looks good on you. Also, Merle Norman has a MMU (only 4 shades right now) but, same thing, you could try some on and see which one looks good on you. That might give you an idea of the color to be looking for.

I am sure other brands have testers but I do not know which ones.

Deb

Hey Damblues,
Thnx for replying me. I took ur advice and will try on these brands if i could find then out. Hope i'll find something good for my sensitive breakout prone skin that can provide me good smooth clear coverage without any further skin problems.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ritas. I tried the genesis foundation yesterday. What actually got me to stop at the little stand was the sales rep, her skin looked amazing. I applied it, then walked around the mall for about an hour & 1/2, checking every mirror in different lighting, even going back to my car to do the visor check. I ended up going back & purchasing one. I think this may be my HG MMU. I really wanted to stick w/MMU for the sunscreen & other bene's. I've tried for many years to get MMU to work for me, but I either couldn't get a good color match or I couldn't get the application right. Other brands I've tried include:BE, Aromaleigh, Jane Iredale, Alima, EDM, L'oreal,Physician's Formula, Lumiere, Sheer Cover, UgloGirl, Illuminare, & most recently Laura Mercier. I have to say that I like Genesis the best. There is more coverage than the others. I got a good color match. It gives me a nice finish, not matte like Alima, but not too glowey like BE. I prefer a more dewey look. I'll give it a week or so to make sure it doesn't break me out, but so far I'm a happy camper. For special occassions I'll still layer my SKII airtouch for a more airbrushed look. Their marketing claim is that their minerals are from the Dead Sea, which is suppose to be more healing to your skin. For reference my shade is MF-6. I think they have 7 shades MF 1-6 & 13

Ingredients: Mica, Serecite, Black Iron Oxide, Red Iron Oxide, Yellow Iron Oxide, Titanium Dioxide

combo/acne prone skin/naturally tan-nc 42: HG so far: Pure Minerals Mineral Melt cleanser for OCM, JM bioglycolic cleanser, JM bioclear, EII, Sofina Nuance Up, SK-II airtouch fdn, Vincent Longo lip stain in Baby Boo & My Sunshine, Kevyn Aucoin Apricot Tansoleil blush
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
leidon wrote:
Hi ritas. I tried the genesis foundation yesterday. What actually got me to stop at the little stand was the sales rep, her skin looked amazing. I applied it, then walked around the mall for about an hour & 1/2, checking every mirror in different lighting, even going back to my car to do the visor check. I ended up going back & purchasing one. I think this may be my HG MMU. I really wanted to stick w/MMU for the sunscreen & other bene's. I've tried for many years to get MMU to work for me, but I either couldn't get a good color match or I couldn't get the application right. Other brands I've tried include:BE, Aromaleigh, Jane Iredale, Alima, EDM, L'oreal,Physician's Formula, Lumiere, Sheer Cover, UgloGirl, Illuminare, & most recently Laura Mercier. I have to say that I like Genesis the best. There is more coverage than the others. I got a good color match. It gives me a nice finish, not matte like Alima, but not too glowey like BE. I prefer a more dewey look. I'll give it a week or so to make sure it doesn't break me out, but so far I'm a happy camper. For special occassions I'll still layer my SKII airtouch for a more airbrushed look. Their marketing claim is that their minerals are from the Dead Sea, which is suppose to be more healing to your skin. For reference my shade is MF-6. I think they have 7 shades MF 1-6 & 13

Ingredients: Mica, Serecite, Black Iron Oxide, Red Iron Oxide, Yellow Iron Oxide, Titanium Dioxide

Hey leidon,
Thanx for your reply. I m very happy to see your post as you have used so much of brand so you can really compare it with all others. U r right i just had same experience like you. I tried in mall then roam around checked in every mirror came back home and then checked again and it was looking very natural light and color was matched to my skin which i never got matched with any other foundation like Mac,loreal covergirl etc...they either make me look dark or white ashy..nvr got exact color.But this was looking good.
But I didn't purchase it as i was not sure of long term use and plus i nvr heard of this brand so i was worried.. i even googled it but couldn't find anything. I also applied shade 6 of genesis and it matched perfectly.
Could you please tell me the price for which you bought it. Sales rep told me its $40 ..Just wanted to confirm with you.

Can you please also let me know which shade you use in SKII airtouch brand...

And please let us know your experience with genesis after your further use. I am planning my trip to mall next week so i'll also buy it..thanx so much your post is really helpful.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ritas... I already responded to your pm, but in case others were curious. I paid $40 no tax for the fdn, which the owner claimed was the "employee discount" price b/c the sign stated that the foundation was $60. So definitely bargain with the sales rep. In fact the sales rep initially told me $35, but when I came back the owner was there & said he couldn't sell it for less than $40.

I use SK-II airtouch fdn in BR-6. I tried the darkest shade in asia,thinking that it would be a better color match, but turns out that it's actually lighter than the darkest shade in the U.S., BR-6. The sales lady at Saks said that SK-II re-formulated their fdn colors for the U.S. market to be darker since americans usually have darker complexions than women in Asia. She says that she has clients with darker skin tones than myself who use the BR-6 w/no problem. BR-6 works great for me. I order my refill packs from:
http://www.bowlinghealthandbeauty.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=1692

combo/acne prone skin/naturally tan-nc 42: HG so far: Pure Minerals Mineral Melt cleanser for OCM, JM bioglycolic cleanser, JM bioclear, EII, Sofina Nuance Up, SK-II airtouch fdn, Vincent Longo lip stain in Baby Boo & My Sunshine, Kevyn Aucoin Apricot Tansoleil blush
leidon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Just a quick update. I wore my Genesis fdn yesterday & I've never received so many compliments on my skin....& trust me my skin is not flawless...yet Wink So still loving this fdn. Plus, now after reading Manslayerliz's link to the drmist & the bene's of the dead sea for the skin, I love that these minerals are extracted from the Dead Sea. Still no breakouts. It has only been a couple days, but my acneic skin usually reacts pretty quickly.

ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:32 am      Reply with quote
leidon wrote:
Just a quick update. I wore my Genesis fdn yesterday & I've never received so many compliments on my skin....& trust me my skin is not flawless...yet Wink So still loving this fdn. Plus, now after reading Manslayerliz's link to the drmist & the bene's of the dead sea for the skin, I love that these minerals are extracted from the Dead Sea. Still no breakouts. It has only been a couple days, but my acneic skin usually reacts pretty quickly.

Hey leidon,

Thnx so much for your reply. Wow thats great ur getting complimenting after using it ummm I am really getting tempted to use it. I am going this friday to mall and will definitely buy it. Cos that day i could also feel the difference just left it because ihvent heard of brand..so silly of me. I just cant wait..

I checked out SK-II airtouch on site and I am quite interested in that but as now this month ihve already spend so much on beauty products..i am just keeping it in my wish list and will buy in next month Smile)

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:43 am      Reply with quote
leidon wrote:
Hi ritas...
I use SK-II airtouch fdn in BR-6. I tried the darkest shade in asia,thinking that it would be a better color match, but turns out that it's actually lighter than the darkest shade in the U.S., BR-6. The sales lady at Saks said that SK-II re-formulated their fdn colors for the U.S. market to be darker since americans usually have darker complexions than women in Asia. She says that she has clients with darker skin tones than myself who use the BR-6 w/no problem. BR-6 works great for me. I order my refill packs from:
http://www.bowlinghealthandbeauty.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=1692

I am interested in SKII and want to try this one.
Can you suggest any place..mall where i can test SKII b4 buying. I live in California.
thnx..

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:24 am      Reply with quote
Hey ritas. They carry sk-ii at Saks. I went to the one in Union Square in San Francisco. The SA was very helpful.

Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:18 am      Reply with quote
don't know about these products but I did pick up a pot of minerals from l'oreal and saw parabens in it? I thought minerals were inert and wouldn't need chemical perservatives in it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Hey leidon,

So finally i couldn't wait till Friday and yesterday went to mall and bought genesis foundation for 43$ sales girl told me its of 60 but she can give me at 40 the same thing old sg told me last time. Smile
Last time i tried shade 6 but this time that girl gave me 5 and she said 5 is looking better..though i couldnt make out the difference but she said with some time and due to skin perspiration mineral makeup tends to get dark which makes u look lill darker so it better to take shade 5. I took her advice and took shade 5.
throughout whole day i let it on my face. It seems so natural even in the day light and after some time 2-3 hours it was looking even better. My skin was looking really good without heavy and clogged feeling of foundation and i was kindof glowing. And didn't breakout today usually i do even in one evening after wearing foundation. I looked at content doesn't have parabben.
My DH didnt say anything to me but he was again and again looking at my face touching it Laughing

I am happy that i bought it. still try to find anything related to it on net(m in habit of Google all products that i use)..but couldn't find anything.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi ritas.

So glad this MMU worked out for you! I've heard the same thing that MMU does tend to look darker as the day progresses & the fdn mixes with your natural oils. I don't know what it is about this formula, but it just gives alot of coverage, but without the cakiness. $40 is right, the owner was very adamant that this was the lowest price he could give. I think I pushed it a little by asking for no tax, but the previous sg did quote me $35 initially. I've had so much trouble in the past with MMU application not looking too heavy. I'm so glad I stumbled on this b/c I was just about to give up on MMU b/c I've tried so many different brands unsuccessfully. I still haven't had any break outs, which is HUGE for me WhooHoo! Did the sg tell you the whole deal about the minerals being extracted from the Dead Sea & hence being even MORE beneficial to your skin that regular MMU?

ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
leidon wrote:
Hi ritas.

So glad this MMU worked out for you! I've heard the same thing that MMU does tend to look darker as the day progresses & the fdn mixes with your natural oils. I don't know what it is about this formula, but it just gives alot of coverage, but without the cakiness. $40 is right, the owner was very adamant that this was the lowest price he could give. I think I pushed it a little by asking for no tax, but the previous sg did quote me $35 initially. I've had so much trouble in the past with MMU application not looking too heavy. I'm so glad I stumbled on this b/c I was just about to give up on MMU b/c I've tried so many different brands unsuccessfully. I still haven't had any break outs, which is HUGE for me WhooHoo! Did the sg tell you the whole deal about the minerals being extracted from the Dead Sea & hence being even MORE beneficial to your skin that regular MMU?

No this sg didnt tell me anything like this about it but last one told me it is good for skin and has spf which is better than other makeup but nothing like better than other mineral makeup.
I checked its ingredients and googled it.
Almost all other mineral foundation has same ingredient except most other has Zinc Oxide but this doesn't have . FYI i am giving the benefit of each ingredient:-

Titanium Dioxide - Provides coverage; adhesion; UVA and UVB protection by blocking the sun's rays; light reflection; protects,soothes and heals the skin
Mica - Provides luminosity; transparent color; light reflection
Sericite Mica - Provides a soft silky matte finish; light reflection;reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and pores
Iron Oxide(red or yellow) - Provides natural color without chemicals or dyes

Zinc Oxide(genesis doesnt have this one whereas i checked some other mineral makeup they have this thing) - Provides coverage; adhesion; UVA and UVB protection by blocking the sun's rays; light reflection; protects, soothes and heals the skin; anti-inflammatory

Although i liked the product but somehow i find it strange that they quote different prices.
To me both time they say its of 60 but for today its 40 ..20$ discount just for today(whereas this today was on different different days almost 2 week later).
When i asked for blushon she was not sure first she told me 45 then said i can give u for 30 then she said no no i can give u for 35.

hmmmm confusing Rolling Eyes but whatever it makes me look very good and i am happy about it. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
i have tried the bare essentials mineral foundation before, however, it doesn't work nice on me, maybe i have big pores, the foundation can't cover up my pores well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:13 am      Reply with quote
I tried Bare Minerals a couple rounds, but it just didn't work well for me either. I think it may have been b/c I couldn't get a good color match.

Carrottop

Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy I use Genesis Minerals loose face powder. It's the best. It evens skin tone, gives a nice glow, and last all day. I would recommend it to anyone....great product!!!
Carrottop

Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
...by the way I bought mine in The Great Mall, San Jose, last X-mas, it ran $45.00 at that time.
donthatethe918

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:08 am      Reply with quote
is there a website or anything you can order this genesis makeup on? i live in oklahoma and want to try it but not sure how to get my hands on it? any ideas?
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried many mineral powders;the absolute best is alima,you can only buy on the internet.I think the website iswww.alimacosmetics.com. You can buy samples and they can also custom mix for you if you talk to them. Your skin will look like silk when you are done,it will cover a lot of imperfections.They also have the best foundation brush too.They have reviews on makeupalley.com.actually here too there are threads...come to think of it thats how I heard about it. Embarassed
eti

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
you can find Genesis Minerals make-up at capitola mall, capitola, CA. Or you can call to the store at 831-4641009.
AsianDiva123
5% products discount

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Is Genesis available on any website? I am interested in checking it out. Also has anyone tried everydayminerals? How do they compare?
eti

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi asiandiva,
The website will be activated within 1 month.
If you want to get it before, You can call to the store, they will ship it to you (831-4641009). Wink
eti

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Genesis Minerals Make-Up is now available online...genesismineralsmakeup dot com
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Eve wrote:
don't know about these products but I did pick up a pot of minerals from l'oreal and saw parabens in it? I thought minerals were inert and wouldn't need chemical perservatives in it.

My mineral makeup has no perservatives or fillers.

The mineral makeup in the drugstores tend to have a long list of ingredients. Department stores can be worst (Lancome, clinique) for "fillers". True mineral makeup should have a simple list of ingredients.

If you want to buy from a store (instead of online) Merle Norman's mineral makeup has no fillers; just a short list of mineral ingredients. Good ratings on makeup alley.
Be sure to walk around and be sure the colour looks good in different lights and once it has a chance to settle in on your face.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |