Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
WHO taught you about Skincare?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
missmia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:39 am      Reply with quote
I realise that since joining EDS i have learnt more about skincare from all of these smart people than the 37 yrs prior to that. Is that wrong? I mean,i am and have always been a product junkie and up until now, i really thought i was clued up but it's only NOW that i'm learning all the basics and rules and all the things that really make sense and have the science to back it all up.

We go to school and learn subjects that are NOT applied in everyday life but wouldn't it so make sense to be taught something like this? I know alot of you have been lucky enough to been given tips from your Mother's (I have already started to firmly install these in my 7yr old daughter).

For example, i didn't start to wear or know the importance of wearing a sunscreen daily till a couple of years ago, let alone have any clue about the importance of exfoliation,AHA'S,BHA'S,anti aging,the skincare basics to the skincare hardcore and oh yeah, how can i forget Jan Marini eyelash intervention etc etc .............the list goes on and on, I have spent months just reading and reading past and present posts and just absorbing and learning, the absolute wealth of information this forum is a Godsend!!

Okay also have to admit hasn't exactly helped my credit card bills but in a quest to find the perfect routine, you've gotta give a little trial and error-right?

MUCHO MUCHO big thanks and love to EDS and all it's members

I also think that all of our younger forum members are very very lucky,if only i were 20 again Laughing

Anyway,back to the point. Who taught you to look after your skin?
gottaHAVEitALL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Myself, really. My mother did not even own a lipstick until I was 15, so it certainly wasn't from her. And although I have 3 older sisters, they were really never into it.

So out of sheer passion and interest, I read books, magazines, online articles and of course consulted forums (such as this one, which I ) and informed myself.

So I guess I should be considered self-taught... the best kind if you ask me (other than being a trained dermatologist of course! Wink ).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I was really clueless about skincare until I joined this forum in February. When I was growing up I used any brand that was sold by Zellers or Wal-mart and back then I thought the more alcohol in it the better to dry up the odd blemish. I was lucky enough to have good skin in my teens so I didn't do any major damage. Then after my first son I started to have problem skin and went for a few facials. I wasn't taught anything about skin care, just bought the recommended products, and it was just your basic cleanser, scrub, toner and moisturizer. I had never even heard of at-home peels, pearl paste, aspirin masks, salicylic acid for pore cleaning or thought about using more natural skincare until this forum, and using the raved about products here have saved my skin. Thank you EDS forum members.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

As a young child my Aunt was my idol. As a single, young nurse she pampered herself with luxurious skin care products. My Aunt had gorgeous cloths and frequented the beauty salon.

In my early twenties I went to Cosmetology school. After 800 hours (needed 1000) I left school as we were moving Bad Grin . By the time I decided to go back my hours expired. Having a young family distracted me from returning for my license.

For five years I worked in a skin care spa as a receptionist. Having access to facials and many professional skin care products educated me on the subject. Now, several years later I am still learning. New actives are always becoming available. LOVE all the information I get from members on EDS.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:27 am      Reply with quote
I just seriously start taking good care of my skin when I was in early 30’s(better late than never). Embarassed Embarassed

I accidently enter in to some webboard and found out that they are started taking care of their skin since they were young. That what got me start thinking about seriously taking good care of my skin. I got a lot of good information from that webboard as well as here in EDS forum.
janjan
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:28 am      Reply with quote
I've learned along the way, though I wish I had had guidance in the earlier years. My mom had beautiful skin and her secret was Oil of Olay. I had horrible acne in my youth and don't remember going to a dermatologist as being an option. I have a lot of scarring on my face along with the signs of aging that are roaring their ugly head.

Also, sun protection was unheard of. We used to spend the summer in the pool just baking away.

I've progressed through the years from Noxema and Bonnie Belle (many, many years ago) to being a much more educated skin care product consumer thanks to the internet. I'm sure I have used many products that have been harmful to my skin, but I just didn't know any better.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:12 am      Reply with quote
I was pretty clueless about skincare until joining this forum Embarassed

My mum wasnt and still isnt into skincare, even though she's nearly 50, she's not into anti-ageing products or anything at all. But her skin is still great- hardly any wrinkles, slight pigmentation but smooth and radiant looking. So she's not much help and I dont consult her when I'm buying new things. In fact, shes keeps telling me not to use new products and keep to one line Rolling Eyes , and I guess in this case, mums dont know the best.

EDS has helped me greatly with regards to what ingredient to use and not, AHA and BHA, different types of masks and have led me to MUA, which I always look for the reviews when Im buying a new product.

Many thanks to EDS for turning me into a skincare junkie Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:37 am      Reply with quote
gottaHAVEitALL wrote:
Myself, really. My mother did not even own a lipstick until I was 15, so it certainly wasn't from her. And although I have 3 older sisters, they were really never into it.

So out of sheer passion and interest, I read books, magazines, online articles and of course consulted forums (such as this one, which I ) and informed myself.

So I guess I should be considered self-taught... the best kind if you ask me (other than being a trained dermatologist of course! Wink ).

I'm totally the same way - my mom sucked with this stuff, she still uses this Pond's Cocoa Butter body lotion on her face and wonders why she breaks out (second ingredient is mineral oil), haha. And she was never all that glam - used pretty cheap makeup and just wasn't very high-maintenance. And yet she used to get her hair colored and permed and I always thought it looked awful! So I definitely didn't follow in her footsteps - I'm so hardcore natural about stuff like that!

It's been an interest, hobby and passion since I was a kid - I'd say it started around 9 or 10 years old. So I've been reading articles and learning ever since. I wasn't always as picky or as savvy as I am now, it's really the culmination of many years of paying attention to stuff - even back in college, I wasn't an ingredient-hound like I am now, though I've always read labels and avoided petrochemicals. I think it began with my acne-prone skin, because I wanted to find a solution, but it definitely didn't stop there. And I'm into natural savyy-ness in other areas like home cleaners, gardening products, food, etc. so it's sort of broadened over time.

Of course, I do learn a ton from EDS members too, and use that to supplement my knowledge. Since I'm all-natural most of the time I think my learning can also sort of "fossilize", so it's nice to know about the latest and greatest trends and products from y'all!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
I learned a lot from reading different beauty and fashion magazines. I don't know if all of the information I read was always correct, but I think it helped me get down the basics. The only think my mom did was tell me to wash my face morning and night and took me to a dermatologist when I developed acne at age 12. After I learned the basics, I started doing research on my own to figure out what would help me.
blaziamm
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I started to really pay attention to skincare in the third year of my undergraduate school. Kinds of late, but still in time to take measures to prevent problems.
missmia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
BTW my mother was an Oil of Ulay user who didn't give me any tips at all.

I've always read mags too but they mostly are just into promoting products and not really into skincare education.

Oh well better late than never.............
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
EDS and EDS members initiated all my skin care worries.. LOL. Okay I shouldn't say that...I was worried about my skin and suddenly woke up in my mid 20s and just didn't like what I saw in the mirror.

When I found EDS, it was the first time there was anyone who saw in their own skin what I saw in mine. Being in my mid 20s, none of my friends really had major skincare issues and we just weren't educated enough about all the products out there!

My mother is extremely holistic and uses Sunrider products but I found their line a little shady because of some reviews I read about them. Hopefully with all I'm learning here though, I'll have my own personalized skincare regime in no time! Now...to grow that money tree....

Big shout outs to all you helpful EDS members!
annie313
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I can honestly say it was my mother. She started me on good skin care when I was thirteen. She also preached to me to stay out of the sun, because it would make me look like a prune. She had beautiful skin up until she passed away. I really miss her wisdom.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
i would say my mother is soo totally against me using all the skincare products and stuff so certainly NOT FROM HER!
What i have learnt is from my own research reading through magazines, articles and forums and websites on the internet. Very Happy
rubicon
5% products discount

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
my father was probably the biggest influence. he had a dermatologist and encouraged me to see one and take care of my skin when i was a teen. of course, others along the way taught me little things by telling me or by example. my grandmother (things like "wash your face with milk" - which i've never done), my mother (told me to drink lots of water and not to pick, etc.), and others.

as an adult, however, i had to learn a lot by trial and error. in the past few years, since i got a computer and internet, these skin boards have helped a lot!
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
i would say my mother is soo totally against me using all the skincare products and stuff so certainly NOT FROM HER!
What i have learnt is from my own research reading through magazines, articles and forums and websites on the internet. Very Happy

My mon is like the same. Everytime she sees me putting on a mask she seems worried that I may damage my skin. Lol.

I wasnt into all this skincare stuff until 2 years ago when I suddenly realized that there is such thing as "anti-aging". It all started from the internet, then the two books one "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" by Paula and the other "the skin type solution" by Dr. Leslie Baumann that taught me a lot about skin care. Now I am at EDS and loving to learn even more.
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
EDS!! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
It was about five years ago that I found MUA and EDS and started taking care of my skin. Before that I used to take off my makeup, wash my face & moisturize with the same product...Pond's Deep Magic lotion Embarassed I was lucky I never had any major skin problems, but when I turned 40 I noticed my skin looked really dull and I wanted that "glow"!

Unfortunately, I've more than made up for all the money I saved on skincare those earlier years since joining EDS Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
EDS and all of you have been so helpful. Except when I get "the gotta have"thing going.
I have learned so much.
So thank you all for sharing
Linda
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Like gottaHAVEitALL & ginnielizz, I consider myself to be self-taught. It started off with a lip balm obsession and then trying to find something to control my acne. My mom doesn't know much about skin care. I often find her going through my stash. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:18 am      Reply with quote
I definatly didnt learn any skincare tips from my mum. She still uses just soap and water on her face. She doesnt look bad for her age so im hoping its good genes which she has hopefully passed down to me.

i think that i have definatly self taught myself about skincare. I am a magazine addict so i have learnt alot through those, but also coming on forums like this definatly helps alot.

Hannah
Shylass
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Grandma taught me the importance of moisturizing and staying out of the sun. For as long as I can remember, she used Oil Of Olay every morning and night. She would be amazed at all the products available now. My mother buys decent products, but then lets them collect dust. I really love her and keep reminding her that it can't possibly work if she doesn't take the time to use them. Mama kept telling me how great my skin looks the last time I visited her, and I told her it was spending 3 minutes on my skin every morning and night that did it. I used to have really horrible skin, but my beauty regime is helping a lot. I also like coming here to learn things and looking it up on the internet. I pass on everything I learn to my mother. And she's started reading magazines and giving me tips. She's also started doing home facials every weekend. So I guess you could say that I'm always learning through trial and error.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:33 am      Reply with quote
My Mom thought me certain things like the importance of protecting/taking care of my skin, keeping my teeth and body in good shape...yet she never really told me how. I did take cues from her as she takes excellent care of herself but most of what I know is self taught. Of course EDS has helped me too, but I have always loved to pamper myself! Wink

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Myself, Very Happy .
Seriously, my mom never has and still is not interested in anything cosmetic, don't know where I got it from , lol!!
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Nobody taught me about skincare.... as you grow older, you see the wrinkles lines, etc... you read what people say to solve the problem areas.... a good source is online reading like this EDS website, very informative site for skin care! Smile Smile Smile also very good customer service!~ Smile Smile Smile

missmia wrote:
I realise that since joining EDS i have learnt more about skincare from all of these smart people than the 37 yrs prior to that. Is that wrong? I mean,i am and have always been a product junkie and up until now, i really thought i was clued up but it's only NOW that i'm learning all the basics and rules and all the things that really make sense and have the science to back it all up.

We go to school and learn subjects that are NOT applied in everyday life but wouldn't it so make sense to be taught something like this? I know alot of you have been lucky enough to been given tips from your Mother's (I have already started to firmly install these in my 7yr old daughter).

For example, i didn't start to wear or know the importance of wearing a sunscreen daily till a couple of years ago, let alone have any clue about the importance of exfoliation,AHA'S,BHA'S,anti aging,the skincare basics to the skincare hardcore and oh yeah, how can i forget Jan Marini eyelash intervention etc etc .............the list goes on and on, I have spent months just reading and reading past and present posts and just absorbing and learning, the absolute wealth of information this forum is a Godsend!!

Okay also have to admit hasn't exactly helped my credit card bills but in a quest to find the perfect routine, you've gotta give a little trial and error-right?

MUCHO MUCHO big thanks and love to EDS and all it's members

I also think that all of our younger forum members are very very lucky,if only i were 20 again Laughing

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |