Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do you get sebum plugs on the side of your nose?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:44 am      Reply with quote
I know jojoba oil is good at taking them out, but do any of you still get them? And also, do you also have acne? I wanted to see how many people had either one or the other or perhaps both. I wonder if people who don't get acne still have sebum plugs (the white balls that come out).

Also, how often do you find you have to take them out? For me, they appear again within a day or two! It sucks.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:22 am      Reply with quote
I have both acne and comedones. Mad And I get the blackheads and whiteheads back especially on the side of my nose within a day or two. Rolling Eyes My skin isn't as oily as it used to be but it's still enough that my pores "fill up" fast.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
gillian
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:27 am      Reply with quote
I don't have acne or oily skin. Normal on a good day but I find that I still get blockages on my nose.

A facial usually clears them but within 2 wks they are back. I don't know of anything that totally gets rid of them.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:52 am      Reply with quote
I have the same problem and wanted to follow this thread. I've never heard that jojoba oil removes blackheads.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:37 am      Reply with quote
i also share this problem. I've been using Burt's Bees orange essence facial cleanser (i think that's the name) and it's been helping in the areas below my chin and between my brows, but the ones on the sides of my nose seem to be more stubborn...grr!
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:20 am      Reply with quote
About the jojoba oil thing,

Take a couple of drops and massage them on the side of your nose. Any plugs (not acne) but those round sebum balls that tend to come out, will all come out if you massage it long enough Smile
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:26 am      Reply with quote
xxndnromeoxx wrote:
About the jojoba oil thing,

Take a couple of drops and massage them on the side of your nose. Any plugs (not acne) but those round sebum balls that tend to come out, will all come out if you massage it long enough Smile

Thank you so much. I will have to give that a try sometime. I am so busy right now that I don't know when I will have time to go shopping. Thank goodness for EDS, because I can call as I'm driving or commuting on the train and place my order.

I am wondering can Omega 3 oil do the same type of job?
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Skincare, I don't think so. The reason jojoba oil is so effective is because it's actually a wax that very closely resembles human sebum that builds up in our pores. Once applied and massaged for long enough, it can soften up the plugs enough so they'll just pop out of their own volition.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any other take on this, however. What form does your omega 3 oil come in? If it's in the form of fish oil, not sure I'd wanna rub that on my face! Laughing But flax seed oil may be another story...

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Where do you ladies buy all your essential and carrier oils?! And does it say on the bottle, jojoba oil "for the face" or is it just jojoba oil for anything?

By sebum plugs does that mean like the white balls that I only knew where there after using Biore nose strips?!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Kareberry* wrote:
Where do you ladies buy all your essential and carrier oils?! And does it say on the bottle, jojoba oil "for the face" or is it just jojoba oil for anything?

By sebum plugs does that mean like the white balls that I only knew where there after using Biore nose strips?!

I used to buy jojoba oil at Trader Joe's but since I'm beginning to dip my tootsies into simple DIY concoctions, I usually buy carrier and eo's online, much less expensive that way!

http://www.oilsbynature.com/product-category/oils.htm
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/home.html

I haven't personally shopped mountain rose yet, but will definitely do so in the future, I love all their organics!
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Caspers Mum

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
No matter what I do, nor what I use, the pores on my nose fill-up within hours! Mad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Skincare, I don't think so. The reason jojoba oil is so effective is because it's actually a wax that very closely resembles human sebum that builds up in our pores. Once applied and massaged for long enough, it can soften up the plugs enough so they'll just pop out of their own volition.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any other take on this, however. What form does your omega 3 oil come in? If it's in the form of fish oil, not sure I'd wanna rub that on my face! Laughing But flax seed oil may be another story...

I think this is where you are wrong with respect to Omega 3. I was a huge fan of Sonya Dakar who sold Omega 3 oil. She claims and doctors do claim that omega 3 does balance the oil production. My doctor told me to eat more fish because the fat/oil can go through your system a lot easier then red meat fat.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Kareberry* wrote:

I used to buy jojoba oil at Trader Joe's but since I'm beginning to dip my tootsies into simple DIY concoctions, I usually buy carrier and eo's online, much less expensive that way!

http://www.oilsbynature.com/product-category/oils.htm
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/home.html

I haven't personally shopped mountain rose yet, but will definitely do so in the future, I love all their organics!
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

Thank you!
err...gardenofwisdom...so THAT's what GOW means.. LOL!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
athena123 wrote:

I think this is where you are wrong with respect to Omega 3. I was a huge fan of Sonya Dakar who sold Omega 3 oil. She claims and doctors do claim that omega 3 does balance the oil production. My doctor told me to eat more fish because the fat/oil can go through your system a lot easier then red meat fat.

skincare, I absolutely agree how valuable omega 3-6-9 can be for all-over health and skincare; I take a complete EFA from Nordic Naturals every day. I assumed from your post that you were asking about the "topical" use of omega-3 oil to unclog pores.

Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Skincare wrote:
athena123 wrote:

skincare, I absolutely agree how valuable omega 3-6-9 can be for all-over health and skincare; I take a complete EFA from Nordic Naturals every day. I assumed from your post that you were asking about the "topical" use of omega-3 oil to unclog pores.

Yes, you are right and I'm sorry if I don't know a lot about topical application of jojoba and omega - what it can do for your skin. I just remember being told that omega balance the oil production and I think jojoba does the same. I had no idea that jojoba can remove plugs on your skin...this is very interesting and would like to give it a try.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Kareberry* wrote:

The jojoba oil I use says "100% Pure Jojoba Oil Expeller-Pressed" on the bottle. The brand is NOW, and I bought it at our local health food store for $9 for 1oz bottle. It also says "Known for its light, clean aroma, jojoba oil remains one of the world's most popular and cherished natural oils. Its texture is similar to our own natural sebum, making it ideal for conditioning healthy skin without clogging pores. Suggested usage: Add the desired amount to shampoo, liquid soap or cosmetic oils." I pat 2 drops on my face each morning, concentrating on my T-zone, as this is where I have oily skin. Since I started using this along with pearl paste, my skin has not been oily and I have no blackheads.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
Kareberry* wrote:

The jojoba oil I use says "100% Pure Jojoba Oil Expeller-Pressed" on the bottle. The brand is NOW, and I bought it at our local health food store for $9 for 1oz bottle. It also says "Known for its light, clean aroma, jojoba oil remains one of the world's most popular and cherished natural oils. Its texture is similar to our own natural sebum, making it ideal for conditioning healthy skin without clogging pores. Suggested usage: Add the desired amount to shampoo, liquid soap or cosmetic oils." I pat 2 drops on my face each morning, concentrating on my T-zone, as this is where I have oily skin. Since I started using this along with pearl paste, my skin has not been oily and I have no blackheads.

Ouch, Diana you're paying too much! Laughing If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, you can pick up a 4 oz. bottle of organic, expeller pressed jojoba oil for only $7.00.

I use jojoba oil in everything! To cleanse face, remove makeup and tons in my hair, so I moved up to the 16oz. bottles from on-line shops.

Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Ouch, Diana you're paying too much! Laughing If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, you can pick up a 4 oz. bottle of organic, expeller pressed jojoba oil for only $7.00.

Oh great, that doesn't surprise me. I live in a small town with only one grocery store so they rack up the prices knowing that we have no choice but to buy there. I guess it's the same with the only health food store. Rolling Eyes Are there any Trader Joe's in Canada or are the only in the States? And how do you use it in your hair? Do you mix it with shampoo or do you rub the oil in first than wash it out?
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Kareberry* wrote:

Exactly Smile Those things you see when using those nose strips. But don't use those strips, they are too damaging! The jojoba oil did the trick. Just massage it for a good while. And yes, I like the "NOW" brand jojoba oil a lot.

I'm not a woman though Smile But I learn from you guys!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
.... I live in a small town with only one grocery store so they rack up the prices knowing that we have no choice but to buy there. I guess it's the same with the only health food store. Rolling Eyes Are there any Trader Joe's in Canada or are the only in the States? And how do you use it in your hair? Do you mix it with shampoo or do you rub the oil in first than wash it out?

Hmm, not sure if there are any Trader Joe's in Canada, but you can do a search on-line for Desert Essence jojoba oil, that's the kind I get at TJ's. Hmm, maybe drugstore.com sells it as well? Since I've started using such huge quantities of jojoba and camellia oil, I started buying them at http://oilsbynature.com/

For my hair, I apply a quarter size amount of camellia oil after rinsing out conditioner, then a 50 cent size amount of jojoba oil. Comb it through, put it up in a towel and let it air dry. I have extremely dry, spirally curly hair and it just soaks up all these oils like a sponge. Laughing

anecdotal story about jojoba oil: Last time I was buying some jojoba oil at Trader Joe's, the lady behind me asked me what I was using it for, I told her I use it to remove makeup and as a hair treatment, then the cashier piped up that he's using it to encourage hair growth on his bald spot. He claims that it doesn't actually cause hair to grow, but because it melts human sebum, that rubbing it on his bald spot clears up the hair follicles so his hair can grow. he did have a little patch of peach fuzz that he swears used to be bald, so he may have something there... Laughing

LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
this is probably really gross but I used to have plugs that you could pull out with tweezers! :-& And at the least of sounding like an informercial, my nose has been super smooth since I started using Glymed PLus Serious Skin Astringent 2%. It's the only BHA toner that has worked on the plugs. My only pet peeve is the strong SD alcohol scent.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:47 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Diana P wrote:
.... I live in a small town with only one grocery store so they rack up the prices knowing that we have no choice but to buy there. I guess it's the same with the only health food store. Rolling Eyes Are there any Trader Joe's in Canada or are the only in the States? And how do you use it in your hair? Do you mix it with shampoo or do you rub the oil in first than wash it out?

Hmm, not sure if there are any Trader Joe's in Canada, but you can do a search on-line for Desert Essence jojoba oil, that's the kind I get at TJ's. Hmm, maybe drugstore.com sells it as well? Since I've started using such huge quantities of jojoba and camellia oil, I started buying them at http://oilsbynature.com/

For my hair, I apply a quarter size amount of camellia oil after rinsing out conditioner, then a 50 cent size amount of jojoba oil. Comb it through, put it up in a towel and let it air dry. I have extremely dry, spirally curly hair and it just soaks up all these oils like a sponge. Laughing

anecdotal story about jojoba oil: Last time I was buying some jojoba oil at Trader Joe's, the lady behind me asked me what I was using it for, I told her I use it to remove makeup and as a hair treatment, then the cashier piped up that he's using it to encourage hair growth on his bald spot. He claims that it doesn't actually cause hair to grow, but because it melts human sebum, that rubbing it on his bald spot clears up the hair follicles so his hair can grow. he did have a little patch of peach fuzz that he swears used to be bald, so he may have something there... Laughing

That is so neet!
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:24 am      Reply with quote
You can put jojoba oil in your hair?!?! I always thought putting an oil on my hair would make my already oily scalp extra oily!!

Would putting jojoba oil on my hair regulate my scalp's oil production?

Also, when would I add it on my face? After toner before serums and moisturizers? Or after toner and serums before moisturizers?! I'm so lost...haha...but thankfully you guys are so helpful and knowledgeable! Laughing
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Kareberry* wrote:
Where do you ladies buy all your essential and carrier oils?! And does it say on the bottle, jojoba oil "for the face" or is it just jojoba oil for anything?...

I bought Jojoba oil from drugstore.com and the label said for Hair, Skin & Scalp.

for me , I used it to take off my makeup.
mizznoir

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
Well I just tried the jojoba oil on the sebum plugs on my nose and it really works! I bought some at my local drugstore but I was using it to moisturize my skin. Now I have another use for it. Though it did not completely get rid of the plugs, but they are a whole lot smaller which is good enough for me. I was wondering is avocado oil safe to use on my face or will it clog my pores?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |