Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Eek - professional head shot for my new job! Any prep tips?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Subject line says it all - because I'll be singlehandedly writing certain web columns at my new gig, I have to get a professional head shot that will appear online every other week with my column. Apparently they have a stylist they work with who comes and does you up and takes the shot. I am HORRIBLE in photos, especially ones like this - you have no idea how bad my * spam * and passport shots are - so I'm kind of concerned, understandably, that I'm going to look hideous and awkward in the shot. And I'm horribly vain about such things, haha, no beating around the bush there. I've always been kinda photophobic, and I've relaxed about it a LOT since my awkward teen years, but I still look genuinely horrible in most posed-type situations. My boyfriend is the same way, and when we take good pictures, it's always of us laughing or in some cute candid shot, it's never when we're told to smile at the camera.

The worst part is, I know what some of the tricks are for taking a good photo, but they just don't work on me! I've tried lots of tricks like angling your body a certain way, etc. but nothing really seems to work - I think the very fact that I'm conscious of trying "tricks" makes them look false and stiff and awkward, if that makes any sense. And my current DL shot involves me following one tip and sticking my neck/chin out a bit to get rid of that double-chin effect, but it's taken from a weird angle (because the DOL believes that everyone is 5'5", I guess) so I look like a thug. I can't even explain it, but seriously, sales clerks and bartenders are always commenting on it and how "threatening" I look in that pose, to the point where it gets really annoying! I keep meaning to get a new one after "losing" this one so I can get a cuter pic taken, haha (plus I have glasses now which I love, and I think I look way better with them, so I want to get a photo with them on Laughing).

Oh, that's another thing - the guy who's my boss has a weird sense of aesthetics, to put it mildly, and he's in charge of the final call about these shots. I specifically asked if I could keep my glasses on for my shot, since almost everyone in the office wears them but no one has them on in their head shot, and he all but said no (he said he'd take a look after the stylist did a couple shots, but that he preferred me without them). Which is fine, and normally I'd just respect his judgment call (he is my new boss after all), but the thing is, all the head shots of him and the rest of the staff? REALLY UNFLATTERING. Awkward, posed/fake (more so than usual), kinda hunched-over in two cases, and really bad lighting that makes everyone look totally washed out and half-dead. Plus they're with a white background on white, so there's the whole disembodied-head look, too. Hot stuff. I can't wait until I start and I can have some say in the site's design overhaul and whatnot, but until then, UGH! He clearly doesn't have the best taste ever, at least in my opinion, so it's a bit of a bummer that he's the one making this call!

AND, to make matters worse, yes, I don't like the idea of a stylist coming and painting me up with a bunch of horrid chemicals that make my über-sensitive skin freak out or break out. Do you think I can get away with applying my own makeup with a heavy hand before s/he comes, and hoping s/he decides I did a good enough job on my own? And if so, any tips for how I can groom myself for such a shot?

Siiiiigh, I'm going to have to practice non-awkward smiles in the mirror for like a week beforehand. I know this sounds silly and incredibly trivial, but you guys have no idea how totally bad I tend to look in pictures, at least forced ones like this, and this is the first time I'll have regular professional exposure with a photo involved. All the good shots of me are totally spontaneous random ones, usually mid-laughter or after at least two cocktails. Heh, maybe I'll show up to work after a brunch with several mimosas or something, that should help! Laughing

Anyway, sorry for the long and winding and self-indulgent post... I suppose I have some time to worry about it, as the job doesn't strictly start until September. But I figure if there's anything specific I should do, I'd rather have time to work it in.

Thanks in advance, patient EDS-ers!

P.S. Can you BELIEVE I'll be writing a column!? Something tells me I'll need to learn to limit myself a bit, word-count-wise, haha. Maybe I'll start practicing here. Very Happy

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
you need to RELAX!!!! Have them take a bunch of pictures and let you pick the one you like best!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz, you are too funny. Laughing I wish I knew what column you were writing because I would be sure to read it. Listening to you describe yourself in photos, sounds exactly like what I do. I cannot for the life of me take a posed picture. It's pathetic. Oh well, at least my work badge photo is worn on my own body, it's not like it's posted where anyone can see it.

I think you should try doing your own make-up and telling the stylist that you have allergic reactions to some kinds of make-up, and if they feel you need a bit more than you have on, could they use the make-up you brought with you. That way you don't have to worry about what they are putting on your face. And I agree with Chrissie. Relax and try not to think about posing. And do you have to wear white, knowing that the background is white?
cathy_jean
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ginnie

Last year I had to have a photo done for my website, and I was stressed out about it, too. I don't photograph well, either, and like the way I look in candid shots much better than in posed ones.

The photographer probably took 50 shots of me, and out of them I did find 2 that I liked.

He had a tip for me that I was a bit resistant to, but it ended up being true: he told me that V-necks generally look better in photos than other neck lines. I had several changes of clothing, and the one outfit with the V-neck did end up being the most flattering in the photos.

Don't forget you can also get them to doing a little photoshopping and retouching. So relax, you will end up with a great looking photo in the end!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your feed back, guys! This V-neck tip is interesting, I wonder why it is that it's more flattering? Anyway, it's perfect because the two shirts I was thinking about wearing are both V-neck anyway. Yay! Thanks again!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
The v neck suggestion is a great idea. I went back and looked at my drivers license pic (its a pretty good pic)...I was wearing a v neck. I wonder why it makes a difference???

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:52 am      Reply with quote
My sister is extremely photogenic. I've never seen a bad pic of her, ever! While my pics turn out like someone else entirely Rolling Eyes

Anyway she always tells me I should "look like I just met an old friend" - the "old friend" being the camera. It still won't work for me - I look like I'm passing gas, but it might work for you Ginnielizz Laughing
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Hahahahaha I love the passing gas analogy. Maybe I'll pretend I'm back on my first date with my boyfriend, or joyfully reunited with an old pal, that's a good tip. And I'm DEFINITELY wearing a V-neck.

Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
My sister is extremely photogenic. I've never seen a bad pic of her, ever! While my pics turn out like someone else entirely Rolling Eyes

I know what you mean! But lately I'm thinking maybe it's not that I'm unphotogenic...maybe I'm just not as cute as I thought Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Jala wrote:

I know what you mean! But lately I'm thinking maybe it's not that I'm unphotogenic...maybe I'm just not as cute as I thought Laughing

That's it!!! I look in the mirror and see me with all my flaws, but that damned camera sees someone else entirely and she aint' cute at all Crying or Very sad
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hee, so the head shots were last week, and I realized I never did post an update. There's a reason, though - I still haven't seen 'em! Yep, our big boss-man is being all secretive about the new pics. I also think he's been hardcore about making sure we use one of me without my glasses, which is kind of funny - he knows I like my look better with lenses, but it's not like I'm going to throw a tantrum! Laughing

All three of us that got shot that day were super-paranoid about how the shoot would turn out, so I think he's just being unnecessarily paranoid to try and slip it past us or something. Which is funny because it only makes us MORE curious. My first column with my head shot will go live this Thursday, so I'll post a pic then if anyone is curious!

But either way, I wore a lovely blue-gray V-neck shirt that complements my eyes, and I was told by the photographer that I had "great hair and makeup" for the session - she didn't touch me as far as that went, which I was pleased about. And she was a very cool, funky, relaxing photographer - she made me chill out a lot more than I normally would, and her attitude made all the difference. My new assistant, though, was totally uncomfortable the whole way through, and actually got on my other coworker's nerves with how much she was fretting and saying she did NOT like being photographed. Ah, well, I'm glad that it wasn't painful for me, at least! Very Happy

System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |