Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Ingrediants to look out 4 in hair shampoos and conditioner??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:02 am      Reply with quote
As the title goes, please list here which ingrediants are actually bad for hair that we should look out for when buying shampoos and conditioners?

I have heard to watch out for "sodium laureth sulfate", i.e. to not buy shampoos or conditioners that have em.
But i dont really no why that is?

I may also start checking out whether the shampoos or conditioner has soya bean oil or soy in it as it may stop hair growth, there is still more facts needed on this one but i would still like to avoid it.

Also if you can state which ingrediants are good for hair and plus the shampoos and conditioners which you recommended purchasing and those that you DONT recommend.

Basically my problem is my hair is falling out alot. Usually in the shower when i wash. No im not that rough with it. And falls out when i brush but not as much as during shower. So my hair is basically 3 times more thinner that what it was. This could be though due to my hair being quite long, past my waist and m thinking that makes it probably more prone to breakage. But i am still concerned. I dont want to go more thinner than is at the moment, in fact id like it ot be more thicker if possible. Although since i leave it open you cannot tell it is thin, just the way my hair is Confused but i can tell it is way much thinner when i tie it in a pony tail.

There may be other causes for this problem of mine but anyway i would like to eliminate any possible ingrediants that could be a cause of this. And plus im interested to know in general as well. Smile

Thanks.
VL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi Simran,

have you recently gone through stress or changed your diet? That could cause hair loss as well.

I find oiling my hair once a week with a warm oil treatment very good for my hair. I used Olive oil.Massage it in my scalp. Also, I massage in half a beaten whole egg in my hair after I have left it on for atleast 1hr. This helps hair to grow as well as keep it healthy & shiny.

All the best!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:23 am      Reply with quote
thanks for the tip Vidisha Lala

Yes i was quite stressed for past couple of months while i was doing my dissertation but thats over and done with. During the time my diet was quite bad too. However it is almost impossible to be on a healthy diet when you are at uni Exclamation

My stress levels go up and down due to my studies and family issues Confused
VL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:29 am      Reply with quote
am sure when things settle down a bit, your hair growth will restore itself. In the meantime, if you could find the time to oil and apply egg, it might help. Egg has protein in it, so, helps hair growth.

I think eating raw baby spinach leaves good for both eyes & hair. If you could include it in your diet, it might help.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:18 am      Reply with quote
I like to look for shampoo and conditioners that contain rosemary or avocado oil, as I've heard both of these encourage hair growth. You may also want to check into stuff that has protein in it.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:21 am      Reply with quote
Vidisha Lala wrote:
am sure when things settle down a bit, your hair growth will restore itself. In the meantime, if you could find the time to oil and apply egg, it might help. Egg has protein in it, so, helps hair growth.

I think eating raw baby spinach leaves good for both eyes & hair. If you could include it in your diet, it might help.

thanks, but im just wondering wouldnt applying egg leave an egg smell to the hair?. It might make me throw up if you know what i mean to have that smell all day long hmm Shock
atalbest
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:24 am      Reply with quote
sodium laureth sulfate is the detergent that cleans the hair from the oils
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I add EO of Rosemary and Mint to whatever shampoo I am using. The EO's seem to stimulate growth on my baby fine hair. When I had Sea Kelp I also added that.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:24 am      Reply with quote
simran, if you have time and health coverage at uni, I would also recommend going to see a doctor or a naturopath. Sometimes hair loss (especially if it's at a young age, as I'm assuming you are since you're in uni) can be a sign of a bigger health problem, and is just one of the outward symptoms. For example, you could have some sort of parasite (and trust me, you can have these for months and not know it, that happened to me recently!) or a thyroid condition or any number of other potential factors. I think a natural/holistic health care provider would be more proactive about looking for other possible warning signs than a more Western doc.

And for what it's worth, I know it can be a huge pain to take care of yourself while you're studying, especially if it means you have to shell out money and make time for an appointment - but try and think of it as an investment in your future health! You'll be healthier, happier and more beautiful all down the road if you nip whatever this might be in the bud now, instead of waiting and letting it potentially get worse.

Of course, it may be the case that this is just stress-related hair loss. If that's the case, obviously, some sorts of stress management are good to incorporate, but everyone's suggestions here are helpful too. Nettles, rosemary, and to some degree castor oil and sweet almond oil are supposed to be helpful. Brushing/massaging the hair and scalp are important to stimulate hair growth, so don't totally shy away from brushing just because you're worried more strands will come out - they'll come out anyway eventually if that's their intention, but the act of bristles gently massaging the scalp will be healthy in nourishing your hair and stimulating the follicles. Look for a 100% natural bristle brush - some swear by expensive ones like Mason & Pearson, but for all-bristle ones I think a cheap drugstore one is fine. I have a pure boar bristle brush from Conair that was $7USD.

I'd also try applying oil directly to the scalp - make up a mixture of sweet almond, castor and apparently avocado oil per violetanne's suggestion (I never knew that was a hair growth ingredient, cool!) and massage it in and leave it on for a while before washing out. It's good to avoid SLS like you're doing, but there are so many other scary ingredients too - try to avoid shampoos and conditioners with dimethicone or anything ending in "cone" while you're fixing things. Maybe try a natural line like John Masters Organics - lots of people have great success with them, and the products are fairly concentrated so even though it's expensive it'll last a long time.

Good luck, hope this helps and take care of yourself!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:10 am      Reply with quote
thanx for the tips ginnizlizz, you are right it is a pain making appts with doctors let alone finding a natural holistic doc or naturopath.

Secondly i dont drive lol Laughing so finding a good one and getting there is another pain Sad

And i admit i have beeen really slack in terms of taking care of myself and my health for the past year or so and i can see its starting to take its toll.

I will look into in all the tips mentioned and re the docs. But starting with easiest one first with the oils Smile
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:39 am      Reply with quote
i think all of the above recommendations are excellent. you may also want to do some research over at the longhaircommunity forums--they are obsessed with growing long, thick hair!

i am certain that there will be many more tips abut long hair care over there. in fact they have a whole ethics of hair care over there. I believe the #1 is: treat your hair as if it were antique lace--always disentangle it as gently as possible from the ends up.
All those years of brushing the tangles out from the roots Embarassed !!!
This site helped me figure out my own hair problems (hard water) which remain unsolveable. I'm probably going to have to cut all my lovely hair off when I return to the US from France, because even washing my hair in bottled water doesn't help--it's full of minerals too, and distilled water doesn't exist in France. Really!

Anyways, massaging oils (I make a blend of coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil, castor oil, sea kelp, and rosemary EO) into the scalp and leaving them on overnight really seems to work to thicken up the hair and encourage its growth.

that, and enjoying summer usually helps too!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:11 am      Reply with quote
avalange, are you still struggling with this? I remember reading your posts on this topic shortly after I joined EDS and commiserating...

I grew up in one of the Rocky Mountain states and can certainly attest to the differences between hard and soft water. When I used to go visit relatives living in a town with ultra-soft water, and didn't realize until years later why my hair was always softer and more manageable when I visited them.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Not to mention that shampoo is WAY easier to use in soft water, but much harder to get out! Laughing

Simran, I hope you find a solution, it's so frustrating to feel like you're experiencing a problem you can't find a simple solution for. Good luck and keep us posted!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:11 am      Reply with quote
Wow. I have learned a lot here....

Thx.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:16 am      Reply with quote
since i was home today i thought i try the oil in hair method you guys mentioned. And i decided to leave it full day and plate my hair afterwards and wash tomorrow to give some extra nutrients by leaving it in longer Very Happy

I mixed olive oil, almond oil, amla oil, bit of coconut oil and rosemary essential oil in a small bowl. Lol i dint think we would have all of these at home but apparently we do Laughing

Then using fingertips and parting hair in sections of about 1CM at a time i put oil on the roots and also slightly massaged there too. Then once done with the roots rubbing them on palms of my hands i spread them all over from top and towards the bottom and fully gave myself a head massage Laughing

And im sitting here now and i have to say WOW i feeel relaxed not the stresssed headachey feeeling i usually get or that my brain is clogged Laughing ANd its weird but i feel like my head is still being massaged gently. Its probably the nutrients absorbing and doing their job Very Happy which makes me think my hair was quite thirsty and i really needed them Shock

Considering the amount oil that i would have used since i did it in each section by section and and top and botton of hair as well, you would think i would be an oil sleek crazy dripping with oil Laughing But NO. As i said above my hair must have been quite thirsty cause all of it absorbed well Smile

I will try and do this every weekend if not alternate the weekends with the egg method.
Thanks for the tip
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi simran

Are you having much luck with the methods you have been using?

BTW- with massaging oil in the hair, wouldnt it be really hard to wash it off?

Thanks
yy

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |