Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Preventing ingrown hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
summerheaven
5% products discount

Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
I recently started plucking my armpit and I got my first ingrown hair in that area =( I think it's going away, since I managed to get the hair out and the bump is getting smaller.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening again? Should I moisturize my armpit or something?

Also, when is a good time to pluck your armpit hair? Before or afteer showering? Or some other time.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought Tend Skin and it seems to be working well for me. I use it after shaving to prevent ingrown hairs. You can buy it here at EDS http://www.essentialdayspa.com/tend-skin-4oz-p_744.htm or you can make your own at home.

Posted by Carekate in DIY thread:
Quote:
Recipe for homemade TendSkin (note: this recipe was originally posted by a member on MUA, although it has since disappeared...I don't know who the original author is, but it wasn't me!):

What you need:

Uncoated aspirin
70% alcohol
Witch Hazel
A measuring cup/bottle
2 bottles used to shake mixtures
1 8oz or more bottle/container to keep finished product

What you do:

1. Pour 5.5oz of 70% alcohol into one bottle.
2. Drop 18 uncoated aspirins into the alcohol. Cap bottle and shake.
3. Pour 2.5oz of witch hazel into the second bottle.
4. Drop 8 uncoated aspirins into the witch hazel. Cap bottle and shake.
5. Wait awhile (30 minutes to a whole day) for the aspirins to dissolve in the liquids. Shake periodically to help dissolve aspirin and mix. NOTE: not all of the aspirin will dissolve. That’s ok- some of it never will.
6. Now combine both the alcohol and witch hazel mixtures together into one bottle. Make sure you shake it up before you pour them out so you also get the aspirin residue into the new bottle.

This last bottle is your Tendskin! Use 1-2 a day. Reduce usage if you experience dryness or flaking or irritation. DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ASPIRIN. Make sure you shake it well before each use.
mjlover
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
Can someone let me know how i use this ... i'm going to make some. Do i put it on, let it dry and then use moisturiser? Cause i cant 'not' use moisturiser.... you know?
NJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:03 am      Reply with quote
I use a product called Min. I purchased this product from a spa and it's great for preventing ingrown hair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:54 am      Reply with quote
I haven't tried it yet, but I think Dr Mist would be great at preventing ingrown hairs.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Small world: I just answered a question regarding ingrowns a couple minutes ago on MUA! Here's what I told them:
--------------------------------------
Remember that the best way to PREVENT ingrowns is to exfoliate your legs/armpits/bikini area prior to shaving/waxing/depilatating.

Exfoliating before shaving helps remove the top layer of dead skin cells which, in turn, help release trapped hairs so that they'll stand up straight so they can be cleanly cut by the razor blade/s.

Ingrowns are caused by hairs that curl back on themselves before they're able to break through to the surface of your skin so that they become trapped under the surface of the skin. Exfoliating helps to remove the top layer of dead skin cells to assist in releasing the trapped hairs.

You can use a simple sugar+oil scrub to exfoliate the area, are even just rub the area vigorously while wearing a pair of those exfoliating gloves (available at beauty supply stores and some drugstores) or even a roughly-textured washcloth!

As others have stated, you should use Tend Skin (or the homemade version) immediately after shaving and then follow up by using a moisturizer containing AHAs on a daily basis thereafter to help prevent the layers of dead skin cells from building up and trapping hairs under the surface. If you can find a deodorant containing AHAs, that would be a great choice, as well.

I used to suffer from an extremely bad case of ingrowns and razor bumps, to the point where I actually dreaded having to shave my legs/pits, but since I begin exfoliating prior to shaving, I haven't experienced a single ingrown or bump! Smile

5% products discount

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
I don't shave though, I pluck. Does plucking have less of a chance of having ingrown hair? I've only had one before and it was from plucking.

I will be sure to exfoliate from now on =] I'm guessing that plucking after showering is better then?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
summerheaven wrote:
Does plucking have less of a chance of having ingrown hair?
Any hair removal method can cause ingrowns! I actually used to get them on my brow line or the "uni-brow" area when I'd wax or tweeze until I started exfoliating and then waxing/tweezing.

One other thing to remember: underarm hairs grow in every which direction -- some grow upwards, others points downwards, while some grow toward the left or the right! Because of this, it's important to tweeze each hair in the same direction from which it grows because plucking "against the grain" can also cause irritation and bumps so you might want to invest in a nice magnifying mirror to use while plucking your pit-hairs so you can easily see what direction you need to yank the hair....

5% products discount

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Ohhh I see, thank you =]

I use an epilator and the instructions say to move it in a circular motion so I think it can pluck out the hair in the direction that it grows.
mjlover
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Carrie - i'll be sure to exfoliate from now on. I tried using a moisturiser with an AHA but it just irritated my legs.
jadkin
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
I agree - exfoliation is really important. I make sure to use a gentle scrub on any areas I've waxed or shaved, and scrub with my towel once out of the shower.

TendSkin is a good after-wax product, but Princereigns is INCREDIBLE!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |