Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
OCM ruined my skin! has this happened to anyone else?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bella77
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
my sister and i started oil cleansing 3 months ago diligently for a month to give it a thorough go. We did castor/jojoba mix and when castor was too drying some olive oil. we also added drop tea tree for small pimples. i wanted to get rid of a patch of 3 or 4 white persistent clogged bumps on chin beside my mouth and i had blackheads on my nose. She had some clogging on her cheek that would come up as cluster of pimples monthly and small blackheads on nose. In retrospect our skin was really quite good! When we first started, we did get rid of a lot of sebum plugs and blackheads at first so we were very happy. Then the horror started. We now have full blown acne, massive red angry cyst type bumps and lots of rash like clogs all over our faces. Mine is like a beard of bumps all over my chin, down my neck and up to my cheeks. Hers is all over her face. continued... below!
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
So sorry to hear your bad experience. I wish you get your clear skin back soon!
bella77
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
sorry was getting too long!!
continued....

After spending hundreds of dollars on skincare and three beauticians visits it seems at least the rash is erupting and getting pus filled heads on them that can be killed and then go away. But this has been two months of treatment. My skin is hideous, i have been embarrased to go to weddings and social events. They have been very hard to cover with make-up too and I am also in a lot of pain as they are very inflammed and sore. Under beauticians supervision I am using chemical exfol (ultraceticals even skintone - with lactic, citric, salicylic acid) vit c cream, dermalogica microfoliant, md form cleanser and an oil free, not to heavy moisturiser and some hyalorunic acid. I am wearing ultracceticals 30+ anioxidant sunscreen every day too. I am drinking 3 litres of water and taking a zinc tablet, flaxseed oil tablet and multivitamin and trying to stay away from too much junk food. Slowly things are improving.

I just wanted to post this as a warning that oil cleansing can't be for everyone! it was winter here in australia at the time too so i think the hot showers and heating made things worse, so our skin was also dehydrated as well. it is very sad as i really wanted OCM to be for me and i had heard such good results. i am jealous of those that can use such a cheap, healthy and effective method. good luck! Smile
bella77
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
thanks so much iaimei! we hope so too. my sister is really pretty so i feel sorry for her having such bad skin (hers is worse than mine as it is spread everywhere and looks like she is really unhealthy). I am really overweight at the moment so having clear skin was a real help to my looks, now I have both problems to deal with Rolling Eyes

anyway- have to be grateful for the good things we have! it is only temporary - i hope so anyway!!
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Ugh, what an awful reaction! I myself recently had a very weird and bad set of strange acne pop up, and I haven't changed much in my routine so I'm pretty sure OCM was the culprit. It did seem good for getting some oil plugs out, but I wound up with weird tiny bumpy hard things all over, especially near my ears and hairline, and I also had a giant cystic acne bump right by one of my earlobes - not a spot where I normally get acne. I think it was from OCM, though I can't be sure - took ages for it to go down, and the bumps around there still haven't totally disappeared either.

Given that I'm prone to cystic deep acne sometimes, and given that I seem to have more bad reactions than good to OCM, I've kind of been on and off. I can't tell if I should really be diligent for a period like you were, or if just doing it occasionally is OK. I definitely don't want to upset my sensitive and breakout-prone skin, but I agree that the inexpensive and allegedly fab results make it seem worth it at times. Here's hoping you're able to clear up your nightmare skin!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
KathyJ
5% products discount

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Your story is exactly my own. Good at first, got rid of lots of plugs...found it kind of interesting, actually. But...then my chin and under my jawline erupted with cystic, deep acne plugs...all under the surface as well as some surface plugs that won't clear up near my nose. I do think it was the OCM...probably from the pressure and manipulation which my skin does not tolerate well, clearly. I have been using tazorac every night along with CPs and vitamin C during the day. I think the vitamin C (which I just added last week) is finally clearing te cysts. I will not ever use OCM on my skin again. I wish I had never heard of it. I will be doing a peel this weekend in hopes of clearing things further. Good luck and I wouldn't even chance it again.

bella77 wrote:
sorry was getting too long!!
continued....

After spending hundreds of dollars on skincare and three beauticians visits it seems at least the rash is erupting and getting pus filled heads on them that can be killed and then go away. But this has been two months of treatment. My skin is hideous, i have been embarrased to go to weddings and social events. They have been very hard to cover with make-up too and I am also in a lot of pain as they are very inflammed and sore. Under beauticians supervision I am using chemical exfol (ultraceticals even skintone - with lactic, citric, salicylic acid) vit c cream, dermalogica microfoliant, md form cleanser and an oil free, not to heavy moisturiser and some hyalorunic acid. I am wearing ultracceticals 30+ anioxidant sunscreen every day too. I am drinking 3 litres of water and taking a zinc tablet, flaxseed oil tablet and multivitamin and trying to stay away from too much junk food. Slowly things are improving.

I just wanted to post this as a warning that oil cleansing can't be for everyone! it was winter here in australia at the time too so i think the hot showers and heating made things worse, so our skin was also dehydrated as well. it is very sad as i really wanted OCM to be for me and i had heard such good results. i am jealous of those that can use such a cheap, healthy and effective method. good luck! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
You know what? The same durn thing happened to me, except it was with Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream, which, let's be honest, is just a gussied-up OCM product. At first I thought things were going well--- I got some plugs out of my nose, and I loved relaxing while massaging my face. Then, trouble began, and I started noticing even MORE clogged pores than ever, however, stubborn as I am I kept on plowing ahead with that darn DHCC. Things only got worse from there and before all was said and done, it looked and felt like every pore on my face was clogged up!!! My skin was so bumpy and there was no way to hide it, even with make up!! I learned my lesson the hard way, and now I'm super cautious about putting any kind of oil on my face for any reason! Ladies who are suffering from the same miserable fate, I highly recommend looking into Zenbiotic products (they are mostly oil free and a great way to rebalance and heal skin that has been messed up by OCM), and I also recommend tazorac and EpidermxII. Hang in there, ladies--- you'll get your skin back, I promise!

5% products discount

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Oh! I also added epidermixII just 3 days ago. Not sure if it is that or the vitamin C serum, (or both) but there's been a definite improvement in the last few days.

manslayerliz wrote:
You know what? The same durn thing happened to me, except it was with Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream, which, let's be honest, is just a gussied-up OCM product. At first I thought things were going well--- I got some plugs out of my nose, and I loved relaxing while massaging my face. Then, trouble began, and I started noticing even MORE clogged pores than ever, however, stubborn as I am I kept on plowing ahead with that darn DHCC. Things only got worse from there and before all was said and done, it looked and felt like every pore on my face was clogged up!!! My skin was so bumpy and there was no way to hide it, even with make up!! I learned my lesson the hard way, and now I'm super cautious about putting any kind of oil on my face for any reason! Ladies who are suffering from the same miserable fate, I highly recommend looking into Zenbiotic products (they are mostly oil free and a great way to rebalance and heal skin that has been messed up by OCM), and I also recommend tazorac and EpidermxII. Hang in there, ladies--- you'll get your skin back, I promise!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
I really love OCM. But I only do it once a week, and I only use jojoba. I don't think my skin likes too much of anything!
bella77
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
KathyJ and ginnielizz - i can't believe how similar your reactions are! it makes me feel so much better that we aren't alone!

you are right - it is very strange. i also did get wierd cystic (really deep - and huge to touch - quite fascinating really if they weren't so disgusting and hurt so much) in strange random places where i don't normally break out. near my ear, on hairline, low on my neck etc. and the small skin coloured bumpy ones are rampant everywhere and terriblly rough to touch. when washing my face all i can feel is bumps! i will never oil cleanse again. it just does not agree with me and i think you are right kathy that the massage and manipulation is just too much as well.

evil OCM Bad Grin evil Mad
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
KathyJ wrote:
Your story is exactly my own. Good at first, got rid of lots of plugs...found it kind of interesting, actually. But...then my chin and under my jawline erupted with cystic, deep acne plugs...

Same here! I looked like a teenager in the middle of puberty. And I very rarely have any breakouts...even when I was a teen. I love DHCC for cleaning out pores around my nose, and I use jojoba or EVOO to remove makeup and sometimes to moisturize. So I didn't anticipate any problems with the OCM---ha! It took a good three months for everything to clear up after that. Never again.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
I can put no oils on my face at all. I had terrible cystic acne when I was using tea tree oil. Went to my MD and ended up on tetracycline to clear it up.

I have pores that pop out oil when my period comes, I find frequent exfoliation works best for me.
bella77
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing i know my sister and i joke that we have given ourselves a second puberty!!! ( i am 31, she is 22) absolutley awful....

going to look into tazorac and epidermix too..

never again! can't believe how many people have had similar experiences! eek!
bella77
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
is tazorac the same as retin-a? don't think we have tazorac in australia?

those zenbiotic products look beautiful as well... hope i will get the same result from PSF skin care, about to speand $350 on it!!!!
KathyJ
5% products discount

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Well...I'm 51 and my skin hasn't been this bad for many many years! I've aways been prone to acne, but this is ridiculous! Shock

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
you poor thing kathyj.... it is really embarrasing i find.... have enough trouble with the fine lines and wrinkles nd hyperpigmentation without worrying about teenage spots Embarassed that's how i feel!! supposed to have grown out of it!
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
bella77 wrote:
KathyJ and ginnielizz - i can't believe how similar your reactions are! it makes me feel so much better that we aren't alone!

you are right - it is very strange. i also did get wierd cystic (really deep - and huge to touch - quite fascinating really if they weren't so disgusting and hurt so much) in strange random places where i don't normally break out. near my ear, on hairline, low on my neck etc. and the small skin coloured bumpy ones are rampant everywhere and terriblly rough to touch. when washing my face all i can feel is bumps! i will never oil cleanse again. it just does not agree with me and i think you are right kathy that the massage and manipulation is just too much as well.

evil OCM Bad Grin evil Mad

Oh my gosh me too!! I have cysts around my ears, jawline, and a couple right under my chin. My cheeks and jawline are filled with congestion as well. I never suspected OCM because I only do it on occasion. I never experienced ANY benefit from OCM so I would only do it off and on. But I kept trying it because so many people swear by it. But now I'm wondering if OCM is what is causing my cystic acne to get worse and worse. I am never touching OCM again!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
am going to buy epidermixII as well as some PSF bits and pieces- am hoping that a bout of oxygen serum will help too as I found it made my skin nice when i used it last year. i am willing to try anything really! this acne is sending me broke. and here i was thinking i would save so much money because of OCM Rolling Eyes

i wish i hadn't persevered with the OCM but i thought it was bring everything "out" and it was one of those worse before it gets better things Sad so i kept going stupidly.

how wrong i was! good luck eveyone, at least some of you have got through it. figure i am 2 months into the hell- maybe in a month i will see some improvement.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:01 am      Reply with quote
hope ur skin gets better. Thanx for letting us know, it really reinforces the fact that things do not work the same for everyone Exclamation
gigiab6
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:40 am      Reply with quote
This totally happened to me...I did OCM and then DHCC. I was hoping to get the last of my acne that had been finally clearing out after the hellish teen years when I was literally on every acne med there was with no results. I just started on Taz after hearing about a couple of people's positive results here and on another forum. Right now I am just using the Taz and a microfiber cloth but maybe I will reintroduce an manual exfoliation product. I tried EPII but it seemed to be doing the same thing though I was trying it after OCM and DHCC so who knows. Thanks for giving me hope that I can get through this. I am heading to NYC to pursue my acting career so this couldn't come at a worse time.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:26 am      Reply with quote
like manslayerliz, i got the same reaction with DHCC as bella77 got with OCM so i sympathize completely!!!!!
wait at the derm was too long so i took matters into my own hands. i found what helped a LOT for getting the bumps to go down was doing a complete body detox. now all the cystic bumps are gone save for a spot or two of normal hormonal acne but im dealing with the horrible aftermath- the scars and redness left over, all over my face!! the worst part is im looking for a new job and feel like my normal confidence is SO much lower just because my face looks like this, the worst of the scars can still be seen through makeup Sad just started trying epidermxII, seems to be helping a bit with the scars, but its making my skin peel and be flaky so i think i need to stop exfoliating so much...
604boo

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:35 am      Reply with quote
happened to me too.
Check my post and you will see what I have gone through...
hope your skin will be better soon.
bella77
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
oh boo you poor thing... have just read your thread Sad

is terrible. now i am worried i have boils too from the castor oil and bacteria. it would explain why they are so inflamed and huge.

wish i had never started the blasted OCM, it has really turned me off home made skincare.

this is boo's link to her personal OCM disaster for others of my thread to read.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=25334

can anyone tell me what tazorac is called in other countries? i can't find it in australia.
dips18
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear about your OCM experience Bella and Boo. I just tried this for the first time last week and loved it but I was aware of the manipulation to the skin from the massaging and so chose not to do it again for a while. Wishing both of you speedy skin recovery. Dips
604boo

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Bella.
My skin is much better now that I completely stopped doing OCM. This is what I used to heal my skin and hope this will help you.

Cetaphil cleanser for morning.
Tea tree soap or any antibacterial soap for evening.Put tea tree oil on those pimples before sleep.

And Omega 3 supplements (this helped me the most!!),try to take 2 pills with breakfast and dinner. I took Greens omega 3 glow, multi glow and detox daily supplements. I absolutely love these.

Also put(dont rub!!) warm(not hot), moist tower(clean) on the face for about 5 mins before putting tea tree oils. This will help to increase blood circulation.

Dont touch your face and dont wash your face too much!!!!!!!!!!

Another way to heal even faster:
fill a tub with medium hot water up to your belly (upper body is not supposed to be under water) and put one cup of japanes sake and dead sea salt (I think any salt will work). Then stay for about 20-30 min. You will sweat a lot and this will help to regenerate your skin cells and increase blood circulation. After the bath, wash your face with very cold water.

For moisturizers, I only used jojoba oil and Nivea cream that I had before.

The key is to calm your face and then heal it.
I was thinking about buying other products to heal this but my derm told me not to do it. Because your skin is already in very sensitive mode, trying other products that may contain powerful chemical ingredients.. not good.

Dont forget to put suncream before you go out and avoid sun as much as possible. If you want to cover those pimples, try Vichy belmish stick (It looks like a green pencil)instead of make-up.

Oh! Also drink tons of water!@!@

Good luck~!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |