Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Silk Powder vs. Pearl Powder, vs. Finishing Powder
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
divalovesmusic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
This came up in another topic, but I was looking for a good "finishing powder"--somthing that I can put on top of my MMU powder or liquid foundation that can set the make-up and do just some general touch ups for my shiny t-zone. I was just wondering if there is a major difference between the type of powers (other than ingredients) that I should be looking for? And which brands would you recommend?
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
While they say that pearl powder is great for oily skin because it "adjusts" for the oilier patches, I never found this to be the case. In my case, pearl powder winds up being too heavy overall - it sort of leaves more of a "residue" and doesn't look as fine-milled. Since I don't wear MMU or foundation or anything, I find it to be a little too obvious-looking, so I tend to prefer silk powder. I think I already mentioned in the other thread that I use Jurlique Rose Silk Dust, and I just adore the stuff (as long as you apply with a good brush - otherwise it too can look a bit filmy, even though it's finely milled).

The finishing powder I use is Dr. Haushka, but I've pretty much abandoned that stuff since I discovered Jurlique. I hope I can use up the Hauschka stuff in the wintertime when I'm less oily.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
im really curious about this too. at the moment im using powder foundation to cover some unusual acne scarring but once my skin goes back to normal as usual im going to go back to not wearing makeup on my skin... interested in using a translucent powder that will mattify and be good for my skin though!
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Jurlique Silk Dust, contrary to its name, does not contain silk powder. It is mainly corn and rice powder with herbal extracts mixed in. But it is very mattifying. Pearl powder on its own is also mattifying, but it is difficult to get a finely-milled powder and it can be grainy when applied to face. But it has more potential skincare benefits than corn and rice powder which are simply to soak up oil. So I tend to mix pearl powder into Jurlique Silk Dust and use that as both primer under mineral make up and also as finishing powder over it. Silk powder is more easily obtainable from mineral make up companies, it gives less oil control than Jurlique and pearl powder, but is better for dry and combination skin as it is not so drying. It softens lines on the face as a finishing powder and also has some skincare benefits. You can get tinted versions if the plain version is too chalky for you. I also mix this with pearl powder if I need more oil control. All of these can also be mixed with your normal loose powder if you need more colour and coverage. They are versatile products and you can customize their usage according to your own skin's condition. Hope this helps!
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Where can one get tinted versions of silk powder?

Several small companies that sell silk/pearl creams also sell powders with silk/pearl/sunscreen minerals, as "primers".
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
These 2 companies sell tinted versions of silk powder:
www.everydayminerals.com
www.lumierecosmetics.com

I read that the tinted silk dust from Everyday minerals has a "smell" but it goes away after you apply. Their Summer Silk Dust has a lot of colour, more like a bronzer, from the comments I saw. You can read user's comments under the News section on their website. Anyway, they have a free sample kit of their products, you have to pay postage for them. The 100% tinted silk powder from Lumiere has no smell (confirmed because I use it). There are 2 shades, one slightly pinkish and one more beige in tone, they also sell untinted version. The tinted version can be useful as finishing powder because it looks less whitish on your face.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, m1rox, that was a really helpful summary, thank you! And to possibly answer melanie harber's question, too, the Dr. Hauschka translucent powder (for sale on EDS here, FYI) contains silk powder as the second ingredient:

Quote:
Ingredients: Tapioca (Manihot Esculenta) Starch, Silk (Serica) Powder, Mica, Diatomaceous Earth (Solum Diatomeae), Silica, Anthyllis Vulneraria Extract, Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) Extract, Black Tea (Camellia Sinensis) Extract, Fragrance/Parfum (essential oil), Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol, Citronellol, Coumarin, Citral, Benzyl Benzoate, Eugenol, Farnesol, Iron Oxides

I used this before I got my Jurlique, and I definitely think it's less drying to the skin. I'm very fair and I find that this stuff imparts a very very subtle beige color - it is translucent but it's not totally colorless, and I find it's much better about leaving a powdery cast than Jurlique or some combo silk/pearl powder that I have. For what it's worth, I think it's a really lovely powder, I just am obsessed with Jurlique even more since I've been oily lately.

Hope this helps!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for adding another potentially useful product to the list. For those with sensitive skin, 100% silk powder would probably be the "safest" option for finishing powder. At least you wouldn't have to worry about which ingredient in the concoction caused the reaction. Some people are sensitive to mica, silica, plant extracts, etc. I too fluctuate between oily and dry, that's why I have a few options to tweak the finishing powder according to the condition of my skin.
tamifaye
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:55 am      Reply with quote
Jurlique Silk Dust doesn't agree w my skin at all. Causes a horrible itch. I trade off with EDM's silk powder and a very nice pearl powder from a home based business which is very finely milled. My preference is the pearl powder. I don't find it too heavy for me personally.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:05 am      Reply with quote
When I first joined EDS forum, I heard all the raves for Jurlique silk dust and was diheartened to learn it didn't contain any silk dust at all!

I used silk dust from Everyday Minerals for quite a few months, as a primer. I didn't notice any distinct scent at all. It controlled oil a little, but by early afternoon [7 hours after applying makeup] I was oily again.

My current HG mattifying product is a silk and pearl paste made by one of the home-based companies we're not supposed to mention. The paste slightly tightens and mattifies my skin, I use it under sunscreen. After sunscreen, I use a silk and pearl primer powder [smells like geranium, heavenly] and it gives me a nice, mattifying look that lasts until I'm ready to remove my makeup [usually 10-11 hours after I apply it in the am]. On no makeup days, using the silk/pearl primer powder right over sunblock is generally enough.

If anyone is interested in knowing which company I purchase this from, feel free to PM me.

athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
divalovesmusic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
So which would you say soaks up more oils the pearl or the silk? THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR REPLIES! Truly interesting!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
divalovesmusic wrote:
So which would you say soaks up more oils the pearl or the silk? THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR REPLIES! Truly interesting!
diva, for me it was the combination of both that did the trick. Pearl alone is too gritty, silk wasn't quite adequate but both was just right! Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
divalovesmusic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
Can I also use the Pearl under or over liquid mineral foundation? I like the pearl powder too for it's great benefits.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
divalovesmusic wrote:
Can I also use the Pearl under or over liquid mineral foundation? I like the pearl powder too for it's great benefits.

From personal experience I say yes. I have applied a homemade version of the Jurlique's Silk Powder and also silk powder by itself as a primer first (light dusting with my MAC 182 kabuki) and after letting it set for 1 min, I will apply liquid foundation or TM.

The foundation or TM will go on just as well as without.
divalovesmusic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:33 am      Reply with quote
cuppre wrote:
divalovesmusic wrote:

From personal experience I say yes. I have applied a homemade version of the Jurlique's Silk Powder and also silk powder by itself as a primer first (light dusting with my MAC 182 kabuki) and after letting it set for 1 min, I will apply liquid foundation or TM.

The foundation or TM will go on just as well as without.

That's awesome! I will try it today. I have a pearl powder that I will try and if it is not good, then I think that I will order silk pwoder from EDM. Thanks!
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have the Everyday Minerals tinted silk dust. I have been applying it last. Should I be using it as a primer instead? I am a little confused about the order of application for these powders.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome divalovesmusic! Hope it works for you too.

Do you need a primer skim? The reason I did it in the first place was because I didn't want the liquid foundation to get absorbed into my skin - as that usually results in a slightly patchy purpose and I wanted it to last longer, so I decided to try a powder primer.

Silk powder can act as both a primer and a finishing powder. As mentioned above silk powder can help to control oily skin, so there is that added benefit Very Happy.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
this thread has inspired me to make my own finishing powder. or buy jurlique's Wink . it seems easy enough. it saves tons of money probably just to buy some pearl powder, pestle to grind it down finely, and some silk powder.

kris

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:44 am      Reply with quote
cuppre wrote:

Do you need a primer skim? The reason I did it in the first place was because I didn't want the liquid foundation to get absorbed into my skin - as that usually results in a slightly patchy purpose and I wanted it to last longer, so I decided to try a powder primer.

Silk powder can act as both a primer and a finishing powder. As mentioned above silk powder can help to control oily skin, so there is that added benefit Very Happy.

May I ask what is a "primer skim?"
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
hmm I posted a comment under this thread this morning and now it's gone hmm ??!! I really don't like it when posts disappear with no explanation Confused.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
hmm I posted a comment under this thread this morning and now it's gone hmm ??!! I really don't like it when posts disappear with no explanation Confused.

rubby, you were sent an explaination PM. If you have any question please respond to me with a Private Message. Thank you.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Silk powder can be used as both primer and finishing powder. As finishing powder, you may prefer to use a tinted version if you find that the untinted gives a chalky look.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:36 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
this thread has inspired me to make my own finishing powder. or buy jurlique's Wink . it seems easy enough. it saves tons of money probably just to buy some pearl powder, pestle to grind it down finely, and some silk powder.

kris

Hi kristen, nice to see you again! You'd be better off making your own or purchasing from a home-based business. Despite the name of its product, Jurlique doesn't even contain any silk powder! Laughing

melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:05 am      Reply with quote
divalovesmusic wrote:
cuppre wrote:

May I ask what is a "primer skim?"

Smile Diva, she is asking a poster named "skim" if she (or he) needs a primer.

cuppre, remember your punctuation! lol
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:

Hi kristen, nice to see you again! You'd be better off making your own or purchasing from a home-based business. Despite the name of its product, Jurlique doesn't even contain any silk powder! Laughing

Hi athena!
I am trying to be a little more active on EDS these days, I have been so lazy Smile. I think I am gonna try making some myself since it seems easy enough and i have some distilled lime essential oil that i simply LOVE. limed scented dusting powder, sounds good to me Very Happy.

kris

Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |