Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tipping an aesthetician ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
happyinlandofoz
5% products discount

Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Do you tip your aesthetician ?
happy
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:49 am      Reply with quote
I do and it is my understanding that it is correct to do so just as you would your hairdresser. One of the girls who works part time at my gym is an Aesthetician and she was grumbling the other day about having a Client that was a pain and didnt' even tip her lol...

Sherri
Caspers Mum

Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
You're in "the land of Oz" (Australia). From my understanding, it is not customary to tip anyone in Australia. It's simply not common - for any services. This is the case in some other countries internationally too, from what I know, though a 10-15% gratuity is generally the norm in North America with most services received. Tipping is completely up to the individual receiving the service(s), and one is not obligated to tipping anyone. Example: if I receive rude or unsatisfactory service in a restuarant: no tip, or a very small one.

My Aussie friend is a hairdresser. She came to Canada, and worked for six months. Unfamiliar with being tipped, she said, "I could definitely get used to this tipping-thing!" Very Happy Upon returning home to Benalla (Victoria), she went back to receiving no tips, though she still had a loyal clientele. My point: even if this is not the customary thing to do, I'm certain that your aesthetician or stylist would appreciate the surprise all the same Fib, and say you've decided to become more "continental" Wink

Note: is not acceptable to tip the owner of a facility, nor should the owner accept a tip if offered! In salons and restaurants, many establishments "tip-off", giving a portion of their tips to the shampoo girl, colorist (if different), kitchen, etc. Example: my hair costs $150, but I round it off to $165 for tipping my fabulous stylist, adding a bit for the shampoo girl.

I've pasted some guidelines for tipping:
http://msms.essortment.com/propertippinge_rmuv.htm
Mabsy

Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:58 am      Reply with quote
From memory, happyinlandofoz is from the other land of Oz. The one of the "we're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz" kind. I think...

But quite right, in Australia it is not customary to tip (except in restaurants, however this is not common or "expected"). It was quite a difference being in the US and having to learn all sorts of different situations when you tip and how much you tip.

Mabsy
marmur1
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry...I know that this is a really old post but was hoping you gals could help.

I've scheduled my first ever facial and was wondering about tipping. Was going to tip like I would at the hair salon, but saw Caspers Mum's note above about not tipping the owner of an establishment. It seems that this Esthetician operates her own business with no other help. Would it be appropriate to tip in this case?

I just want to make sure to do what's most appropriate, as I've never been before. Thanks in advance! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
My hairdresser (not an aesthetician but the same sort of thing imo) runs her own shop where she's the only sylist in her home, the most beautiful little shop with no gossiping, etc, I love it. I tip her every time because she's carrying all the over head and not earning commissions from stylists under her like most salon owners.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
In this case, I would tip...

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, thanks Lolli and Faith! I wanted to get it right because I hear she's great and didn't want to offend her by doing the wrong thing.

Thanks again! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
marmur,

I'd tip. My hairdresser owns her own shop and I always tip her well because she does such a good job and always charges me below the student price...

I went to one spa here and the lady seemed really surprised when I tried to give her a tip. Then I get home and see on the bill that they include the tip in it...

I'm with you CM, if I get crappy service at a restaurant they get $1 if they're lucky...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:05 am      Reply with quote
Can I say that a good friend of mine owns a beauty salon and she does not get tips because she is the owner. She pays the girls that work for her more than can afford to pay herself.When she closes salon at night the girls go home and rest she has to keep the accounts etc and often works 2 or 3 hours longer than they do. Because of the starting up costs, stock, overheads etc she, gets hardly any wages they get tips and she doesn't. Sometimes I think the owners actually get a raw deal. Just my personal view. Also unlike many salons she does not charge double for her personal service. I always tip my hairdresser even though he owns the salon. I get great service and usually have a good laugh too. Always worth the money to me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Tipping felt like the right thing to do, but I didn't want to commit a huge faux pas. Thanks so much for all of your great feedback! Very Happy

Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |