Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Users of powder foundations - advice please?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:39 am      Reply with quote
I'm currently using a liquid foundation, however as my skin is oily, and I can't find a mattifying makeup base that doesn't irritate my highly sensitive skin, my skin gets shiny/oily really fast and I have to blot/powder ALL the time. Now I'm wondering whether a powder foundation will work for me, I've never tried one before. The convenience really appeals to me, however I'm worried the coverage isn't enough for me. Powder foundations are pretty sheer aren't they? I still need coverage to even out my skin tone.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi FaithTruth! Actually it depends on the brand--- Everyday Minerals has a "full coverage" MMU that covers as well as any liquid, IMO. Alima offers a full coverage concealer as well, which I use on areas where I need a little more help. Both brands offer sample sizes, so you might give them a try!

In the meantime, no matter what make up you use I would recommend trying Dr. Mist. It has a seriously mattifying effect on my face, and as a bonus it helps keeps my skin clear too. HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Agree with manslayerliz about Dr Mist. It definitely can dry out the skin, which was a bit too much for my dry skin, but sounds suited to your oily skin. Plus it makes a great fixer for makeup (in my case I use MMU by Lumiere Cosmetics).

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:41 am      Reply with quote
A nice powder foundation with great coverage is Make up Forever's Duo Mat Powder Foundation. If you want to try before you buy, stop at Sephora and try it first. I love this foundation,it's so easy and convienent. It just melds into my skin. I have combination skin. If you want a more illuminating look try Stila's Illuminating Powder Foundation also at Sephora.

Mineral makeup is another option. I like Lumire's Venna Velvet and Cashmere Foundations both for oilier skin.
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Dr. Mist? What in the world is that? Does it fill-in pores, too? When do you put it on, under make-up or over? Expensive?
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
ive found that decleor ylangylang aromessence and pearl paste have been great for mattifying! i also have sensitive, and also acneprone skin, both help out with acne i think, ive been using them lately because ive been having some problems in that area. before i started getting outbreaks though (probably a hormones issue, if it continues/gets worse ill go see a derm) i found that my sunscreen was great as a mattifier/makeup primer. in the winter i use shiseido ultimate sun protection spf 55, and in the summer i use sofina perfect uv 50- both leave my combo skin (prone to oiliness in the summer) with a nice matte surface that lasts pretty much all day!

personally i use shiseido maquillage powder foundation. i used to only use it on special occasions (thought that using it day to day would be a waste, especially in the summer, in japan you walk everywhere and it's hot/humid so i didnt want to sweat off all my makeup) but now that im dealing with some unusual acne scarring, i use it for work/going out to cover the acne scars. the coverage i find is pretty good. it wasnt so great at first when the acne scarring was REALLY bad (im talking practically purple spots, people!) but now that they're fading the powder foundation covers it nicely. whenever i use up the maquillage though im considering switching to sofina raycious just because friends swear by it and im in love with their cute compacts haha!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Girlzmommie wrote:
Dr. Mist? What in the world is that? Does it fill-in pores, too? When do you put it on, under make-up or over? Expensive?

Here's some more info, girlzmommie:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=25277&highlight=mist

You can use it under make up or over since it's a spray, and it's cheap as all get out!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Yay I just ordered a bottle of Dr Mist (hope the website and shipping are reliable - felt a little dodgy to me) Thanks for all the feedback! Just a couple more questions.......during the day, do you use the same powder foundation to touch up, or pressed/loose powder? Do you guys wear a separate sunscreen under the powder foundation?
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
i ALWAYS wear sunscreen no matter what (not wearing sunscreen on my face resulted in an agespot so ive become really paranoid!!!) so i always wear a sunscreen under my powder foundation. ive found that the one i use wears pretty well, so as long as im indoors most of the day (ie at work) i dont need to touch up.
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
I use a concealer, Physician's formula concealer stick under my mineral makeup. The concealer I dot on blemishes, red marks, etc. Then I do the mineral makeup routine. This blends in everything. Something like Bare Mineral's "Mineral Veil" is supposed to tone down shine. I do sometimes find the Bare Minerals to go a bit greasy/shiny. Not sure yet if it is the makeup or my moisture cream. I do find it better than a regular liquid foundation.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:15 am      Reply with quote
Manslayerliz, how do you use Dr Mist? I don't use MMU......
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:04 am      Reply with quote
faithtruth, pearl paste and silk/pearl primer powder have been the most effective products for keeping shines under control, at least for me.

I have pretty oily skin and would always get the shines around my nose and chin within 3-4 hours of applying makeup. Now that I use pearl paste underneath sunscreen and sandwich my MMU between a 1st and finishing layer of silk/pearl primer powder, I rarely use blotting papers anymore. By the end of the day, instead of looking like a greasy mess, I have a nice and dewey glow.

For the first time in my life, I'm actually grateful for having oily skin! Very Happy

Feel free to PM me for more details on the pearl products.

Athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Sofoulee

Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
MAC carries a powder foundation that I absolutely love for my oily, olive toned skin. It matches perfectly, it covers (almost) completely... nothing one or two dabs of concealer won't cover, and best of all, keeps my oily face much less oily throughout the day!

Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |