Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Confused and wrinkly!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
madalyn
5% products discount

Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone

This is my second post,the first being about the horrible pigmentation/melasma on my face which is still very much there. I'm 38years old with dryish skin and small lines below and around my eyes and big nose to mouth lines. I've been considering using Obagi Nu-derm to help with the pigment problems but wondered if there was any alternative that isn't quite so drastic as I don't think i could face looking any worse at the moment!!

I have been using Retin-a for the past 5 months and although i can't see any improvement it has not made things any worse and i am taking MSM for the melasma and have started using the facial-flex everyday.

Has anybody got any advice on what i could use to improve my skin - I have read many many posts and amazed about the amount of knowledge you all have but it has left me a bit confused - theres CPs and vit-cs and i just don't know what to try - So please help!!!
Many Thanks
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi Madalyn,
Welcome to the forum. It is a great place and lots of info. I just know there will be tons of replies to help you.
I have noticed that if I exfoliate(sugar,aspirin,honey)before I apply Retin A,it works faster.After 20 min I use Super Cp Serum.Then Emu or Jojoba,etc moisturizer.
That works for my skin.No pigmentation/melasma for me,but old acne scars,wrinkles,sun damage,pores.
I have seen here that 1,000mg Vit.C with MSM 1,000 mg 2x a day helps with skin repair.
I guess the best advice would be to take it slow and test patch on new products.
Have a wonderful day
Linda
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if it will help melasma, madalyn, but you could try Skinceuticals C, E, Ferulic. This stuff (along with obagi) has really helped to diminish my freckles. There have been other people report that it helped with their freckles also, but it takes several months.
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote
I never knew that there was a product to diminish freckles all us Irish are full of them and its not that we get a lot of sun!!!
graceless_lady
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:34 am      Reply with quote
The melasma is a whole other ballgame (and I've been there!), but as for anti-aging suggestions I'd definitely persist with the retin-a.

Since I joined this forum, here are the things I've learned about and added to my regime that seem to be helping (so much so that I've had comments on how good my skin is looking from family, friends and colleagues):

* AlphaDerma CE (highly recommended)
* Vit C serum
* Copper Peptides (still waiting for the WOW factor, but I understand patience is required)
* a few Valmont products, particularly the neck cream
* NCN pumpkin peel
graceless_lady
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Oops, forgot to put in my recommendation for the melasma - it's a set I buy off ebay. If you google filipinagoddess ebay you'll find the seller, then go to her shop and you'll see all her melasma-fading products. They have worked for me and do not contain hydroquinone. It seems to be a lot less "invasive" than the obagi system. Tri-luma could be your other option - it does contain hydroquinone, but so does obagi. In fact, this could be a not-too-expensive way of finding out if the obagi system might work for you as, like obagi, tri-luma is a combination of retin-a and hydroquinone. Medmex sells it at a good price. Good luck!

(And to tie in my two posts, Vit C is a good thing to add to your regime for both melasma and anti-aging.)
thirtyish
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
What are the noticeable benefits of AlphaDerma CE? I've been using for a couple of weeks, but I'm not sure what the benefits are. I realize I only have a sample and I use a very small amount each time I use it, so do I need to use a significant amount of product each time?
kyplantjunkie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi- I've been "blessed" with pigmentation issues and melasma too--Obagi helped my sun damage a lot. But for melasma--I've been using the Cosmelan system for about a month now- I'm amazed the difference it's made. I did it myself, vs going to a Dr. for the mask. Melasma is a tough one to treat.
Robin
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with everybody's replies. I think you will notice a nice difference with Vitamin C serums, and exfoliate on regular basis.

And don't forget the sunblock. Cool
skinmelon
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have recently added in TRUE RADIANCE 's products to my regime. Already seeing amazing great result as far as lifting and tightening of my face is concerned. But, I cannot eradicate the improvement that other skincare have had produced before TRUE RADIANCE's.

Ok, to make things simple, I would recommend,

Peeling- a must to slough off old skin. I have used PSF'S PUMPKIN PEEL and PERFECT COMPLEXION's A PEEL CORRECT (2 of the best)

Vit C - for even radiance skin. I have used IS CLINICAL ( almost the full range of its products) and ViVIER 20.

Masks - OSEA's red algae and white algae and jURLIQUE's masks (most of them): 2 of the best, use masks everyday.

True Radiance- GABA , GOLDEN SERUM & its Eye serum are the best of the best anti aging skincare that I have ever used, after spending sooooo much moneys in searching for a best anti aging product , none of them before TRUE RADIANCE 's had I ever seen any significant improvement.

HTH.
madalyn
5% products discount

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone

Golly Gosh - did i say i was confused before!!!
Thanks so much for your replies. Think that whatever i do i would still like to carry on using the Retin-a.Could i use that with Cosmelan ( also where could i buy it) or would i be best to go with Tri-Luma which incorporates it already.Do you just use Tri-luma on the melasma or all over the face? If i were to go the non hydroquinine route using the filapinagoddess products on ebay would i still be able to use Retin-a?

Also, if i incorporate vit-c and cps what order do i do them in are some things am and some pm. What would be the best regime?

I'm also going to start taking Vit c 1000mg x2 daily and think i will try the True Radiance eye serum. Well, that's the plan at the moment!!! Better start saving!!!
Sorry to ask soooooo many questions.
Best Wishes to you all.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote
You have received some really good suggestions so far, just remember that what works great for some people may not work great for you. You really need to experiment with a combination of products until you start getting the results that improve your individual skin care needs. That said, here is what I use: (Currently, I am extremely pleased with the results and feel I have finally 'nailed down' a skin care program that is yielding outstanding results)

AM

Cleanse with IFP clarifying cleanser (alternate every other day) or Epidermx II.

Exfol cream over entire face & around eyes. (wait 30 minutes)

Vitamin C serum (25%) over entire face (wait 10 minutes)

DMAE serum over entire face (wait 5 minutes)

PSF Cranberry Phyto-lift gel on upper eye lids and brow area.

JB Prep and ADCE over entire face

HA & True Radiance eye cream around eyes

IFP Pearlfection mattifying cream on T-zone and chin area.

(LacSal cream over entire neck & chest area (wait 30 minutes) then SB Protect & Restore cream with lavender & high retinol over neck & chest area. Finish with Jojoba oil.

PM

Cleanse with Epidermx II

Folligen lotion on brows & eyelash line

IFP 2% BHA cream on entire face. Exfol cream around eyes (wait 30 minutes)

SB CP serum on entire face

Supercop2 on any acne marks

CP night eyes premier all around eyes

Dremu oil over entire face

LacSal cream on neck & chest (wait 30 minutes) then SB protect & Restore lotion with lavender & high retinol on neck & chest. Then Jojoba oil over entire neck & chest area.

** Also use a 35% fruit peel once every 4-5 weeks & PSF Pumpkin peel weekly. (going to be trying NCN's Pumpkin peel this week to compare with PSF's)

This may seem like a lot but really once you get the routine down it is really quite simple. The 30 minute wait's are no problem because I just fill that time in doing other things that need to be taken care of.

Skinmelon - So glad to hear you are loving the True Radiance products. I love them too!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:47 am      Reply with quote
What fairlady says is right: what works for some won't work for others and there is a lot of trial and error involved. But I empathise: there is a lot of information here, it can be a little overwhelming, and sometimes you just want a simple list that you can follow!

I'd start by tackling my skin concerns one by one and if you are anything like I was, the melasma will be the most urgent. Retin-a on its own won't fade (though its good for anti-aging and acne if you have that). So for the melasma, if you can possibly get away without using hydroquinone, then that would definitely be a good route to try - that set I recommended on ebay contains all the right non-hydroquinone ingredients (kojic acid + vit c), is not too expensive and delivery was quick from the USA.(And, yes, you can still use with retin-a - but any bleaching cream, including tri-luma, i would only use on the areas with pigmentation.)

As for the anti-aging, I'd continue with the retin-a, maybe introduce some Vit C serum (use in morning - CPs at night), do some research here for the right exfoliator and/or peels and/or masks for your skin type and maybe boost your regime with something like the AlphaDerma CE + prep as so many here seem to have had good results with it (including myself!).

Again, good luck - and another suggestion would be to maybe take some photos of yourself so you can monitor progress. Sometimes it's hard to be patient, but it's easier when we can see results from week-to-week or month-to-month.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:27 am      Reply with quote
madalyn wrote:
Hi Everyone

This is my second post,the first being about the horrible pigmentation/melasma on my face which is still very much there. I'm 38years old with dryish skin and small lines below and around my eyes and big nose to mouth lines. I've been considering using Obagi Nu-derm to help with the pigment problems but wondered if there was any alternative that isn't quite so drastic as I don't think i could face looking any worse at the moment!!

I have been using Retin-a for the past 5 months and although i can't see any improvement it has not made things any worse and i am taking MSM for the melasma and have started using the facial-flex everyday.

Has anybody got any advice on what i could use to improve my skin - I have read many many posts and amazed about the amount of knowledge you all have but it has left me a bit confused - theres CPs and vit-cs and i just don't know what to try - So please help!!!
Many Thanks
Mad, you don't need to use a lot of products to solve your problem. Go to cosmeticscop.com and read the info on skin care. It alleviates skin care confusion and tells you exactly what to use to solve your skin care issues. HTHs!
madalyn
5% products discount

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the advice ladies - will definitely be doing some more research - Many Thanks
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:49 am      Reply with quote
All the recommendations already posted are great, so will just add my 2 pennies worth.

Consider buying a DPL unit. To check out what it's all about, there's lots of info on the net. In my experience, it delivers on its promises & then some. No claims to improve broken caps but I see a big improvement in mine. Add it to any skincare routine that works for you & it will improve their results.
It's one of those things I'd take with me to that desert island, along with tons of sunscreen of course.

Also, consider quality microdermabrasion/peeling packages at a good spa. There are great advances in this area, with crystal free diamond microdermabrasion systems now. These can be supplemented at home with the DPL treatments to keep the cell renewal rate at an optimum level. That seems to be the key....dead skin removal & cell renewal, allowing new, fresh skin to emerge.
Try & stay away from silicone loaded products, eat healthy, no smoking, walk a lot if heavy exercise isn't your bag, laugh a lot, and make yourself a priority in your life. We women do so much for others, we gotta learn to treat ourselves as well or better than we treat others cuz we can't run on an empty tank.

Guess this was more than 2 pennies....LOL.
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:37 am      Reply with quote
fairlady wrote:
You have received some really good suggestions so far, just remember that what works great for some people may not work great for you. You really need to experiment with a combination of products until you start getting the results that improve your individual skin care needs. That said, here is what I use: (Currently, I am extremely pleased with the results and feel I have finally 'nailed down' a skin care program that is yielding outstanding results)

AM

Cleanse with IFP clarifying cleanser (alternate every other day) or Epidermx II.

Exfol cream over entire face & around eyes. (wait 30 minutes)

Vitamin C serum (25%) over entire face (wait 10 minutes)

DMAE serum over entire face (wait 5 minutes)

PSF Cranberry Phyto-lift gel on upper eye lids and brow area.

JB Prep and ADCE over entire face

IFP Pearlfection mattifying cream on T-zone and chin area.

(LacSal cream over entire neck & chest area (wait 30 minutes) then SB Protect & Restore cream with lavender & high retinol over neck & chest area. Finish with Jojoba oil.

PM

Cleanse with Epidermx II

Folligen lotion on brows & eyelash line

IFP 2% BHA cream on entire face. Exfol cream around eyes (wait 30 minutes)

SB CP serum on entire face

Supercop2 on any acne marks

CP night eyes premier all around eyes

Dremu oil over entire face

LacSal cream on neck & chest (wait 30 minutes) then SB protect & Restore lotion with lavender & high retinol on neck & chest. Then Jojoba oil over entire neck & chest area.

** Also use a 35% fruit peel once every 4-5 weeks & PSF Pumpkin peel weekly. (going to be trying NCN's Pumpkin peel this week to compare with PSF's)

This may seem like a lot but really once you get the routine down it is really quite simple. The 30 minute wait's are no problem because I just fill that time in doing other things that need to be taken care of.

Skinmelon - So glad to hear you are loving the True Radiance products. I love them too!

fairlady

From whom do you purchase your VitC 25% serum? Have seen lots of 20% but 25% is new to me.

Thanks, Arya
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Arya,

I currently am using vitamin C 25% serum from
Diana Yvonne. It is very stable with a shelf life of 6 months although manufacturer recommends 3 months to ensure maximum potency.

This is the strongest Vitamin C that they carry. I really like it and my skin tolerates it very well.

Take Care

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
fairlady wrote:
Hi Arya,

I currently am using vitamin C 25% serum from
Diana Yvonne. It is very stable with a shelf life of 6 months although manufacturer recommends 3 months to ensure maximum potency.

This is the strongest Vitamin C that they carry. I really like it and my skin tolerates it very well.

Take Care

Thanks. I recently rec'd a sample of Vivier's 10% from EDS and love it but know my skin could use something stronger. But frankly, balked at the price of their 20%. Will check out DY but border issues have stung me recently...had to pay a hefty charge for items recently ordered from the US.

Thanks again.
madalyn
5% products discount

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi
Further to my earlier post - i have been in touch with PSF and they have informed me that
they are releasing a skin lightening serum next month that would really
speed up the rate at which you could fade your hyperpigmentation - how cool is that!!! Don't know anything more than that but will let you know if i find out anything else BFN
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |