Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Unique dating situation advice needed
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
To get straight to it,

I'm 19 and gay. I met this boy on the internet 6 months ago who is 18 and suppositly very wealthy, we've been video chatting for a long time and happen to share the same religion (which is rare in gay society).

He is flying here to meet me (Calgary) on the 13th. I live in Red Deer, which is hour & 1/2 away. I plan to book a room in the same hotel as him.

If we hit it off in real life, he wants to take me back with him to Hawaii (where he has his own place and lives essentially).

Luckily I can work anywhere and make decent money so it wouldnt be like I was leaving my job, I could always return if I wanted.

My parents don't know I'm out and I'm not really sure what the best thing todo here. Neutral I was thinking if we hit it off in real life, it would make sense that my parents meet him before I took a vacation to Hawaii (so they know I'm safe). I might also need to come out, which is something I never wanted todo.

Neutral in a way, I feel like all this would happen too quickly... but at the same time, we've been talking online for such a long time that maybe its not, I can't tell. I allready feel that I'm in love with him.

Am I crazy? Shock is there anything I can do to make this process smoother?
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:11 am      Reply with quote
I don't have any specific advice, but please be very very careful!! It is so easy to lie on the internet, and many people have been victimized because they trusted someone they "knew" online. I think you've also posted that you have a fair amount of money...if you share that sort of information freely it will make you a much more desirable target. If you're going to meet someone, meet in a public place and take your time! There is no rush and if someone pushes you to do something you aren't ready with then you need to reevaluate the situation.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Wait to see what happens before you make any plans. You may not hit it off face to face. Also, I agree with being careful. Stay in public places when you meet.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:34 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the previous posters - be very, very careful!! I'd also suggest investing in having him checked out by a private detective, just to make sure he is who he says he is.

I also think you should come out to your parents before you introduce this guy to them. They might need time to adjust.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Daniel, your first instinct that this is happening too quickly is spot on. It is; whether you're gay or straight, a relationship should never begin with living together. Virtual dating via online chats and email are completely different than face to face communications.

Please be careful when you meet, and keep it in a public location. Do not under any circumstances go alone with him if so much as one hair on the back of your neck starts to tingle.

You may not have come out with your parents, but chances are they already know and are just waiting for you to tell them. My 22 year old neice came out about 2 years ago, but she wasn't telling us anything we didn't already knew Smile Our love for her has not changed, we love her regardless. I bet your parents will feel the same way, (assuming they're not religious fundamentalists that believe you're committing a moral sin Rolling Eyes ).

Good luck sweetie, listen to your instincts, your heart, please stay safe and keep us posted OK?

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Athena, especially about your instincts. I also think the faster a relationship goes at first, the faster it is likely to burn out.

You were looking to move somewhere a while back -- it's probably best not to connect your decision to a new relationship. Or perhaps I should say: It's probably best that you do not make your situation, whether in Hawaii or Alberta, too dependent on this person. If you want to sit out the winter in Hawaii and work there and feel the situation out with this fellow, that might make sense, but if you would just as soon tolerate Alberta in the winter, then please take it slow, and as others have advised, be careful! You simply don't know this person well enough to make yourself vulnerable to him with a committed decision like that.

There is so much stuff one learns about people that isn't obvious at first or while they are putting on their best face for courtship, it can prove painful and costly sometimes. (At your age, I myself was so green...)

It must be such a painful thing not being able to discuss your orientation matter-of-fact-ly with your parents. Another huge reason to "GO SLOW." Let that part (your parents) be your motivator in doing so.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Chiming in on the Go Slow Philosophy! I met my current boyfriend over the Internet, and we have a fabulous relationship of almost a year and a half, and we recently moved in together. HOWEVER, he was by no means the first person I met via the Internet, and let's just say I went on a LOT of first dates and very few second dates. And I think a big part of our success was that we took it very, very slow, especially in this Internet age of instant gratification!

Even with videoconferencing, it's so easy to be disingenuous when there's a screen in front of you, instead of a real live person. It's also just easy to think someone is cuter or funnier or wittier or whatever when they're not with you face-to-face - a lot of your chemistry just can't be tested until you really meet. So everyone is right to tell you to not make any plans until you meet for real.

And aside from the danger concerns that Athena wrote above (and it's ALWAYS a good idea to have your first new meeting with anyone be in a public place), there's just nothing to be gained from rushing. You're young, you're not in a hurry to have kids before your ovaries forbid it, ya know? Very Happy So take it easy and get to know him, and also try and get into a situation where you can introduce him to friends who know you're out. Only really shitty friends will trash-talk a good significant other - and if all your friends think there's something fishy about a guy, chances are they're on to something.

Of course, YOUR opinion matters too, I just think it's good to have a general sounding board. The way you described this situation, it sounded like you might get whisked off to Hawaii without anyone you know having met the guy, and I'd strongly advise waiting long enough to get some pals to weigh in. I'm SO glad I didn't stick with an ex boyfriend of mine that my best friend really didn't think much of - he wasn't a bad guy, but she KNEW he wasn't right for me, and I know she would've expressed that if things had gotten too serious with him. (As it was, I figured it out for myself pretty quickly, thankfully!)

Good luck with everything, and have FUN - I know it sounds cheap since I'm only 26 myself, but enjoy your youth! I didn't do as much singling around as I wish I had sometimes, and I don't exactly have regrets, but I do think I got too caught up in every relationship being serious.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:50 am      Reply with quote
please be careful their are so many nuts out in cyberspace that just prey on people. Also you are so very young and need to give yourself so time to really meet the right one for the rest of your life. But more important if something sounds to good to be true it usually is not-Good luck and be safe
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
He guys, wanted to keep you posted. We are meeting on the 13th and today is the 11th. We are meeting in the evening at a hotel lobby, I'm going to take pepperspray and my cellphone with me and call my family at the end of the date. I'll update yall on the 14th - godspeed
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Best of luck Daniel and hope you don't have to use that pepper spray since I don't think its legal in Canada Wink.
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Smile if anyone here uses MySpace - feel free to add me, I would love to have any of you as friends, you guys rock.

http://www.myspace.com/danielemersontownsend
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
I don't even know how to use my space to old I think but you can pm me anytime. I have a son your age and any time you need someone to talk to we or I are all here for you. Have a nice time and please be safe
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Update: never showed.. was disappointing but I'm over it now
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Awww Daniel, I'm disappointed for you, but in the long run, it just might be a good thing. Who knows how legitimate he is/was.... At least now you can move ahead and cross him off your list Wink.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
sorry but it may have been a good thing after all.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Daniel,

I just saw your profile really quickly on myspace. i wanna add you later, but you are very cute so there will be plenty of opportunities out there. I actually met my first boyfriend online and we went out for quite a few years.

Kris

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Daniel, I'm so sorry about your disappointment. It can be really hard to get a good read on people over the internet. My sister met a guy on the internet once who presented himself like an educated gentleman.... until he flew out to see her with only a one way ticket and no money for a flight home and basically "squatted" at her apartment! Shock You really can't be too careful. Hang in there and keep us updated!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Daniel,

it could be disappointing, but you can go on now with your life and the most important thing is that you are safe and sound.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear it didn't work out, Daniel. Maybe you had a lucky escape. You wouldn't want to be with someone who'd let you down like that, anyway.

I'm sure you'll meet someone much better than that before long.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:28 am      Reply with quote
He was moving way too fast, hun. Better he didn't show.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |