Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Petition!! Help Ellen with Doggie!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Please sign to support Ellen!!

Here's the Ellen video (if you havent seen it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlRcgSV8SII

Here's the petition!

http://www.petitiononline.com/FreeIggy/petition.html
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Apparently the dog has been adopted by another family. Shock

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20152846,00.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I might catch heat for this, but I actually don't side with Ellen on this one. Shock I have done a lot of volunteer work with bunny rescue organizations, and when someone wants to adopt a bunny we look into the situation to make sure it's going to be a good one for the bunny and it will be a loving, stable, forever home. If for some reason things don't work out, in many cases there IS a contract specifying that the adoptive owner needs to bring the pet back so we can find another good home for it. It is not ok for people to just pawn off a pet on a hairdresser or other random person when it does not work out. While I appreciate that Ellen was trying to find the dog a loving home when it didn't work out for her to keep it, she needs to realize that rescue organizations have their rules for a reason, and she needs to respect those rules.

Additionally, I'd like to say that adopting a pet is NOT like buying a new appliance that you can return if it doesn't work out. It's adding a new family member and it needs to be treated as seriously as adopting a child in my opinion. When my husband and I adopted Forest, our sweet brown lop, the people at the humane society had us sign a contract that said we would bring him back if it didn't work out, and we looked them in the eye and said that no force on earth could make us give up our sweet son.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
I think the agency are Nazis! Sometimes protocol and beaurocracy needs to take the back seat!
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:29 am      Reply with quote
I think the adoption agency did it for publicity. Isn't the whole point to find these animals a home? Then to go and physically take the animal from a home just because some 'rules' were broken? That's ridiculous. They could have, instead of taking the dog away, assessed that it was, in fact, in a good home. Which, you know, was probably the case-- I'm sure Ellen wouldn't have given the dog to people who couldn't care for it.

It's stupid, plain and simple.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:54 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Violetanne completely.

If they checked the house and the family and found something to be lacking it would be a different story.

And just to imagine the pain of these girls who most likely already loved the dog ...
What about cruelty to humans?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:58 am      Reply with quote
I'd like to know more about this story before making a final decision, but I do have a few thoughts on the subject.

manslayerliz is right about the reasoning behind making adopters sign a form to state that if, for any reason, they can no longer keep the animal, they must contact the rescue centre so that they can rehome it. Our charity insists upon that too.

Our policy is to take the responsibility for the animal concerned's welfare for the entire length of its life. Having rescued a pet in need, we intend to make sure that it will ever after be safe and cared for properly. We can't guarantee that if an adopter then passes the animal to someone else without our prior consent or knowledge.

Ellen acted wrongly. She should not have rehomed her former dog without contacting the rescue centre concerned. As manslayerliz said, the rules are there for a reason and, sad to say, I've seen with my own eyes what can happen if this rule is flouted.

Having said that, in this circumstance, we would have admonished Ellen in no uncertain terms for her misguided actions, but we would have undertaken an assessment of the new home and, if it was considered suitable, have made the new owners sign another adoption agreement, warning them to stick to the rules this time.

Ellen gave this dog to her hairdresser, I understand. Now, I'm sure her hairdresser is probably a very nice person, but exactly how well does Ellen know her? Has Ellen ever visited her house, and was she able to assess it properly? Did she meet and speak to the whole family?

You see, people can appear to be the perfect adopters (whether they're just pretending to be nice or whether they are genuinely nice people), but you have to dig much deeper, especially with rescued animals - and rescue dogs can be very difficult to rehome because they can often have behavioural problems due to their past experiences. Sometimes a seemingly perfect home can be anything but.

I feel very sorry for the family concerned, but Ellen should never have done this in the first place. She's a very silly woman, as far as I'm concerned.

As far as taking the dog away from the new family, I'm not convinced that's such a good idea. Dogs need stability. You can't keep moving them from home to home as it can make them feel very insecure and unhappy, and can also lead to all kinds of behavioural problems. The more this dog is messed around and moved about, the lower the chances of him being able to lead a normal, happy life.

Again, I've seen the results of dogs who have been passed around from pillar to post before they came into our care. Believe me, it's not pretty.

I just wish people, including Ellen, would think before they act when it comes to animals. It would make our job so much easier and so much less upsetting when we have to pick up the pieces afterwards.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:35 am      Reply with quote
SandraG wrote:
I think the agency are Nazis! Sometimes protocol and beaurocracy needs to take the back seat!

Nazis might be a bit harsh, this is an animal we are talking about...not 6 million people.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Ellen acted irresponsibly when she gave the dog away and made it eve worse by mentioning it on her show.

She had to know the reaction the rescue organization would receive from all the crazies out there. It was mean and vicious and she gave no thought to the good work the organization was doing and how it would affect their operations now and in the future.

I used to like Ellen but now I see her for what she truly is.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:30 am      Reply with quote
OK, so Ellen made a mistake, then disgraced herself by crying on her show like a child. I still like her. The dog has been removed and will be placed in another home, so doggie will be OK. Hairdresser's kids will cry but soon they'll recover and learn their first lesson of loss.

I'm not trying to sound like such a naysayer but I truly don't understand the amount of airtime all the news media, talk radio have devoted to this topic, just as I never understood the amount of time devoted to Paris Hilton jail sentence and Lindsay Lohan's recent DUI.

Why do so many people care when Pakistan, Iran, Iraq and Burma are such a mess? Standing down from my soapbox Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:51 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
OK, so Ellen made a mistake, then disgraced herself by crying on her show like a child. I still like her. The dog has been removed and will be placed in another home, so doggie will be OK. Hairdresser's kids will cry but soon they'll recover and learn their first lesson of loss.

I'm not trying to sound like such a naysayer but I truly don't understand the amount of airtime all the news media, talk radio have devoted to this topic, just as I never understood the amount of time devoted to Paris Hilton jail sentence and Lindsay Lohan's recent DUI.

Why do so many people care when Pakistan, Iran, Iraq and Burma are such a mess? Standing down from my soapbox Laughing

TOTALLY agree! This whole thing is lacking perspective IMO.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Vonstella and Athena - I could not agree with you more.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
I think Ellen was wrong to do what she did. We adopted a greyhound, and had to sign a contract. It stated for whatever reason we couldn't keep the dog we had to give it back to the adoption center. I think this is a good idea. It lets the center place the animal in a home that's suitable.
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:26 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
I might catch heat for this, but I actually don't side with Ellen on this one. Shock I have done a lot of volunteer work with bunny rescue organizations, and when someone wants to adopt a bunny we look into the situation to make sure it's going to be a good one for the bunny and it will be a loving, stable, forever home. If for some reason things don't work out, in many cases there IS a contract specifying that the adoptive owner needs to bring the pet back so we can find another good home for it. It is not ok for people to just pawn off a pet on a hairdresser or other random person when it does not work out. While I appreciate that Ellen was trying to find the dog a loving home when it didn't work out for her to keep it, she needs to realize that rescue organizations have their rules for a reason, and she needs to respect those rules.

Additionally, I'd like to say that adopting a pet is NOT like buying a new appliance that you can return if it doesn't work out. It's adding a new family member and it needs to be treated as seriously as adopting a child in my opinion. When my husband and I adopted Forest, our sweet brown lop, the people at the humane society had us sign a contract that said we would bring him back if it didn't work out, and we looked them in the eye and said that no force on earth could make us give up our sweet son.

I agree with you. Too often animals are re-homed by well-meaning people and then they end up on death row. Leave it to professionals who know best whether an animal should be placed in a home. Many an animal has been fostered by an agency, loved and trained, then adopted out only to be shuttled to another owner and ends up in a high-kill shelter. I'm sure that ellen meant to do the best for her dog, but she signed a contract that was meant to protect her dog and she should have honored it and let her friend go through the proper channels to get the dog. I cannot have a pet becaue of the restrictive rental policies in my city (Vancouver Canada) but I support the spca monthly with donations becauue too many pets end up being euthanised. These organisations always have the best interest of the animals at heart.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:23 am      Reply with quote
donnababe wrote:
Ellen acted irresponsibly when she gave the dog away and made it eve worse by mentioning it on her show.

She had to know the reaction the rescue organization would receive from all the crazies out there. It was mean and vicious and she gave no thought to the good work the organization was doing and how it would affect their operations now and in the future.

I used to like Ellen but now I see her for what she truly is.

Which is what?

Mean and vicious? Are we talking about the same person? It's mean and vicious to give a dog a home?

I'd also like to know what's so 'disgraceful' about Ellen showing emotion on her show. Yes, she was a little overwrought, but since when is it disgraceful to show how you feel?

I'm not getting on the bandwagon here. The adoption agency went to the person's home with POLICE and took the dog away. If anything, that's mean and vicious, and in my opinion, totally uncalled for. They could've handled it in a much quieter fashion, but instead they made a big to-do and issued media statements. If they would've handled it differently, we wouldn't have heard about it at all.

If Ellen knew what would happen, I'm sure she would have gone through the proper channels in order to give the dog to her friend. But who would have thought something as overblown and ridiculous as this would happen by just giving a dog to a good home?
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:04 am      Reply with quote
While I feel bad for all involved I understand the whole adoption process. I am somewhat involved with Scottie Rescue. To get a Scottie from them is like adopting a child. If for some reason the adoptive owners finds the dog is not for them it must be returned to Scottie Rescue. It is up to the rescue organization to find the proper home for the breed.

Some of the reasons rescue groups are so strict is for the protection of the owner and dog. For instance: Scotties can't be adopted by anyone who has a pool as the breed can't swim well. Unless a Scottie has been brought up with children they usually can't be placed in a home with toddlers. Rescue also requires a fenced in yard.

I know Ellen did not have a Scottie but trying to shed some light on the organizations strict rules.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:06 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I'd also like to know what's so 'disgraceful' about Ellen showing emotion on her show. Yes, she was a little overwrought, but since when is it disgraceful to show how you feel?

I'm not getting on the bandwagon here. The adoption agency went to the person's home with POLICE and took the dog away. If anything, that's mean and vicious, and in my opinion, totally uncalled for. They could've handled it in a much quieter fashion, but instead they made a big to-do and issued media statements. If they would've handled it differently, we wouldn't have heard about it at all.

If Ellen knew what would happen, I'm sure she would have gone through the proper channels in order to give the dog to her friend. But who would have thought something as overblown and ridiculous as this would happen by just giving a dog to a good home?

Actually, the adoption agency didn't call the police. Either Ellen or the family called a website news agency named (I think) TMX to capture everything on film - including the adoption agency in the garden with the dog and an interview with Ellen and the family's daughter afterwards. In it, you can see hear a man who appears to probably be the father saying that he called the police, and then you see the police officer arrive.

The adoption agency appear to have wanted to do this quietly and without any publicity whatsoever. It was Ellen who brought in the big publicity machine. There is also a recording of a call one of Ellen's people made to the adoption agency woman, warning her that they are going to use publicity to ruin her name and her agency.

The adoption agency woman has since received death threats and threats to burn down the shelter, although Ellen has belatedly asked for this to stop since.

I think that Ellen let her emotion and anger override her common sense. Her stirring up of the situation (and her many fans) has caused terrible damage to the good work done by animal rescue shelters. I consider her to have behaved highly irresponsibly in this particular case.

Also, I don't know whether anyone can confirm this, but I have heard reports that this is not the first dog Ellen has adopted and then given up. Perhaps she should refrain from adopting a dog until she is in a position to actually give one a permanent, rather than temporary, home.
world~of~mirth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
She has rehomed a dog before. A lab named Lucy http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B01E3DF133FF93BA15751C1A9659C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=print It is talked about in the 2nd paragraph at the end.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
world~of~mirth wrote:
She has rehomed a dog before. A lab named Lucy http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B01E3DF133FF93BA15751C1A9659C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=print It is talked about in the 2nd paragraph at the end.

I think the article may have mixed up the name of the puppy. In my opinion, it was referring to Iggy (the giveaway was the word "recently").

If there has been any discord in Ms. DeGeneres's life recently, it has been the way her two cats reacted to Lucy, her mixed-breed puppy. They were ''not thrilled with having dog energy'' around the house, she said, ''especially puppy energy.'' So she had to find Lucy a new home.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
world~of~mirth wrote:

I think the article may have mixed up the name of the puppy. In my opinion, it was referring to Iggy (the giveaway was the word "recently").

If there has been any discord in Ms. DeGeneres's life recently, it has been the way her two cats reacted to Lucy, her mixed-breed puppy. They were ''not thrilled with having dog energy'' around the house, she said, ''especially puppy energy.'' So she had to find Lucy a new home.

The article is from 2003
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
No, Yen, it's a different dog. Lucy was a Lab cross, Iggy isn't. Also, as you say, the article states "recently" - but the article is dated "December 28, 2003." That's almost 4 years ago.

Yen wrote:

charlibets
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I think Ellen made an honest mistake. We have two rescue dogs, from two different agencies, and the return policy was not discussed at all. I found that detail in the contract after they left the house - and yes, it was "my bad" for not catching it sooner, in terms of reading a contract completely, but just the same...for such an important detail, you'd think they'd bring it up verbally as well. It would not have mattered to me anyway, as I would not have returned either of the dogs.

I think the agency could have worked with the family who had received Ellen's dog. They were known to have made exceptions on the child age thing in the past, and these children were not really young. When our dogs were placed, the main things looked for in our home were that we had a securely fenced yard, where the dogs would spend most of their time (our had to be indoor mainly, or whereever we were).... mainly it seemed they wanted to see that our home was safe, to meet our family, and any other pets...our kids were 11 and 13 at the time.

I have to admit, if we ever had to give up our dogs, I would not be happy about giving them back to their rescue agencies because they came from two different places. Our two dogs love each other as much as they love us and I would not want them separated. And in fact, I do feel qualified to find a good home for them - if I chose another family for our dogs, I would certainly know them better than those agencies knew us when we obtained our dogs. I'm not knocking these agencies for their rules because I think they do wonderful work and they do have to have rules and standards. But in some situations, following the rules for rules sake might not be in the best interest of the pets involved.

I have no idea how well Ellen really knew the hairdresser and her family, or if the media reports about this family are true. But I'm thinking that maybe parties on either side could have used better judgement. I'm just not prepared to think the worst of any of them.

Betsy
charlibets
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Another interesting thing about this is how the dog was able to be removed because the microchip information still registered the dog to the agency.

One of our rescue dogs has a chip, also registered to the agency that placed her with us. I asked about that when they brought her, about having the info changed to show our info instead and they actually encouraged me to leave it as it is and that if she ever got lost they would know how to find us. I never thought of it as being evidence of ownership if there was a dispute. Now I don't think I trust that so much and will be getting it changed.

Maybe I am comparing apples to oranges since I am in a different state, but still.

Betsy
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Majorb & Marina, you were right. Damn, I can't believe I missed that. Embarassed Now I've lost respect for Ellen. Mad

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
world~of~mirth wrote:

The lab puppy isn't said to have been a rescue, with any rules against her finding it a new home. So this breaking of a contract seems to be more about this recent episode of "rehoming" a dog. In anycase, perhaps Ellen shouldn't have a dog, given the reaction of her cats in both cases.

Betsy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |