Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Best Vitamin-C Serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I'm thinking of adding a vitamin-c serum to my obagi regimen. any thoughts on the best one (and best value for money?) I'm looking at the Obagi 15%
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
After trying a few vit c's myself, and comparing my results to other people's reviews, finding the right one really depends on your own skin!

You'll really have to try a few to see what kind of consistency you like and whether it's working. Since you're on Obagi already, my first thought would be to use the Obagi because it's supposed to work in conjunction with their Nu-derm line.

In terms of best value for money, like I said only you can determine what works for you, but if you do a search there are a lot of vit c recommendations from a lot of people here.

Some of the ones most mentioned I find are from Vivier, Skinmedica, PSF, JB (Alphaderma on EDS), Cellex-C.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Seems to me there are four different considerations in picking a vitamin c serum: stability of the serum from oxidization, "feel" of the serum on your face, concentration of the vitamin c, and price. For me, stability is number one--if it goes brown, it isn't doing you any good and may be doing actual harm. As for "feel," some feel more oily (though they don't actually contain oil but do have bases that have an oily feel), some are more watery in texture, and some are slightly sticky. Concentration ranges from 5 percent to 20 percent, with decent serums at least at the 10 percent level. Higher concentrations are better in theory, but higher concentrations may be too irritating or drying. This is one where you have to experiment, since what is fine for me may be too much for you, and vice versa. And then there's price--these serums vary a lot in price. That may or may not matter to you. So, those are the factors I'd be looking for as you examine the many past threads here.

Bottom line for me--I prefer Cellularskin-rx's 12 percent vitamin c serum as a best value, highly stable, pleasant feeling serum. And, if I could afford it, I'd probably use Vivier's 20 percent serum. But, as I noted above, your mileage may vary depending on how you balance these factors in choosing a serum.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I like the skinceuticals C, E, ferulic the best, as I felt it helped along with obagi to fade the freckles, but I am wondering if it is the E in this. I have used a whole bunch of topical C's that did nothing really for my skin. It really is trial and error with the topical C products.
missmia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
I am currently using the Vivier 10 serum with the Obagi nu derm system,i started with the 10 because i wasn't sure if my skin would tolerate it. Turns out my skin is loving it and i think it has helped brighten my complexion alot. I have since bought a bottle of Obagi C serum in the 15% and i plan to use that next,if that goes well then i suppose i'll progress to 20%. C serums are all they're cracked up to be though Smile Enjoy!
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:

Bottom line for me--I prefer Cellularskin-rx's 12 percent vitamin c serum as a best value, highly stable, pleasant feeling serum. And, if I could afford it, I'd probably use Vivier's 20 percent serum. But, as I noted above, your mileage may vary depending on how you balance these factors in choosing a serum.

Hi, what's the shelf life of this serum? It seems to be good value for the price.
Toodalu

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:04 am      Reply with quote
I am very new to this forum. I really don't understand all the emotions icons and also when i post it says at the bottom, "what does this mean"

However, i have wanted to find a product with ferulic, vit c and e as i have researched and read that the ferulic really helps to stabilize the vitamins, especially the vitamin c

Products with ferulic and DMAE

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:06 am      Reply with quote
I did not finish my post, i started to type that products with ferulic and DMAE cannot be shipped to Canada for some reason.

Thanks in advance!!

Toodalu Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi, mlrox. Regarding the shelf life of the Cellularskin-rx serum, I can't say how long it would take to see it oxidize, because I never have. I use it daily, and it lasts about two and a half months at that rate. The last dropperful is as clear and bright as the first. My daughter uses it too, and accidentally left her bottle here over Christmas vacation. It was still fine when she returned after spring semester.

So, as far as I can see, an opened bottle is fine for at least four or five months.
littleprakhem
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:43 am      Reply with quote
I second that. The Cellular Rx vit C is highly stable. I have been using it over 2 months now, twice daily. The color and texture remain unchanged. On the caution for oily skin, this serum gives you oily feeling. But my dry skin loves it.

I'd like to try Vivier's next. From what i have read so far, Vivier's is easier to be absorbed to the skin and has a brightening effect.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
another vote for the cellularskin vit C serum. as a side note, it isn't actually oily as such but it does have some 'slip' to it. I know some really oily people on here used to swear by it.

Toodalu, pureskinformulations does a c serum that you can add ferulic to. Maybe email and ask them if they can ship? EDS sells PSF but not the ferulic for some reason. If you want DMAE then Kripps pharmacy sells a serum they make up them selves and they are a canadian company.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Still love Cellex-C Very Happy
shimmie*
5% products discount

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
Has anybody had experience with this Vit C from Larachem.com?
http://www.larachem.com/vitamin_c.htm
Does it check out with everything a Vitamin C should have? Price is pretty good for 50 ml Smile
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
shimmie, it looks ok, but you need to find out the pH. Maybe email them?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Just a word about my experience with Obagi's Vit C to anyone who is considering it...bought this about a yr ago @15%.

Bottom line, my normally very tolerant skin started to dry out & itch after about 4 days' use. Couldn't figure out the cause. Went online to reseach every ingredient & discovered Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) was the culprit.

This stuff is basically a detergent & used industrially to clean oil (if my memory serves me). It is used in many skin care products & have since my experience with Obagi's VitC, banned all such products from my face/body, as many on this forum have.

So beware, yes some really like Obagi's stuff, but it does contain SLS and is therefore quite harsh on the skin, even mine!!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Wow, anya2, I'm surprised about the SLS in the Obagi C serum! I know it's in lots of rinse-off products like shampoos, cleansers, and shower gels. Many folks can tolerate SLS as long as it is completely rinsed off, though others find even a rinse-off product with SLS too irritating. (And, as you point out, many choose to avoid SLS and its chemical "cousins" regardless, substituting less harsh alternatives.) But in a product like a C serum designed to stay on the skin?! That's strange and disturbing. Thanks for the heads-up.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, arya2, spellcheck didn't catch the typo on your name in my last post. My apologies...
shimmie*
5% products discount

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:

pH is 2.4. Sounds good to me.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
I recommend vivier vitamin c serum.
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:02 am      Reply with quote
No problem Flitcraft. I was totally surprised too to find it in the serum. Altho' I haven't done an exhaustive research, I have yet to find it in any other VitC serum. If someone gave me an xpensive product with this stuff in it, I admit, I'd either regift to someone who isn't bothered by it, or dump it.
And Nickiegirl, I agree, Vivier's serum is beautiful. Rec'd a sample of the 10% from EDS I think, and now I understand why all the raves about it. The forumulation is gorgeous.

I believe SkinMedica & Vivier are essentially the same company, with another professional line, Vitalize peels for professional use fitting in there as well. And correct me someone if I'm wrong, but I think Obagi is also linked to them. So it surprises me that SLS would end up in their VitC .

Anyway, it totally put me off Obagi other than the toner.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:21 am      Reply with quote
shimmie* wrote:
guapagirl wrote:

pH is 2.4. Sounds good to me.

Sounds very good! I'm always a bit leary of hydrous c serums because I've found them less stable than anhydrous ones, but at that price you could slap it all over and use it up in a month and it's still cheap!

wish they did paypal cos the lactic acid is really well priced as well...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:46 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:

Toodalu, pureskinformulations does a c serum that you can add ferulic to. Maybe email and ask them if they can ship? EDS sells PSF but not the ferulic for some reason.

I bought a couple of bottles of the PSF C serum from EDS a few months back and they came with the separate containers of the ferulic to add in (no extra charge). Now I don't know if this was some limited time special or the usual practice? You could email and check if interested...
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
kareni wrote:
Still love Cellex-C Very Happy

I second Cellex-C.

5% products discount

Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:17 am      Reply with quote
I also like Ultraceuticals 23% Ultra C - does wonders once you get past it being a very thick paste
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:53 am      Reply with quote
I've been using "homemade" versions but I have to mention I've had a tube of Skinmedica's C serum for about a year and its still good...it was white when I opened it for the first time, and its still white. I'm amazed. I haven't even refrigerated it. As far as store bought versions of C serums go, that one is a good one. I also bought a sample of Diane Yvonnes 25% C serum. WOW! Talk about getting the "glow!" Very Happy -- I loved it...but the sample "turned" before I used it up.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |