Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Fingernail Cuticles - cut off or push down?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
chickenlittle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Please can someone help me, this is something i have never understood!

When you are doing a manicure, you put on "cuticle remover" balm, leave it a few minutes - then the instructions (on my trind one) says to remove cuticles with the orange stick.

Do they actually mean cut them off/scrape them off, or do they mean to just push them down?

I tried pushing them, but a few days later i now have mini papery flaps that stand up straight from the nail bed!

What am i doing wrong?
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I do both! I use cuticle cream and then push back the cuticles. Any skin left hanging I cut off (which I have heard is a no-no), but if I am careful I have no problems. Afterwards, I put on a cuticle moisturizer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard cutting your cuticles is a big no-no, but I think you just really have to be cautious about using clean, sterilized instruments and not cutting too much. In theory, the cuticle is there to protect the nail bed from damage and infection, but a ragged cuticle will only increase the chances of those things, so I think it makes sense to cut if you're really raggedy. Hope this makes sense, haha, I can tell my rambling button got hit somewhere back there! Laughing

Just curious, chickenlittle -- what cuticle remover balm do you use? (We have similarly natural tastes in a lot of products, and I'd love to find a cuticle remover that isn't full of nasty ingredients.) Thanks!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I push back my cuticles, either after applying a cream of some sort or right after showering. I have never cut them, but I think that cutting with a very clean scissor is better than pulling, biting, etc. jagged skin. (Sorry if that's TMI -- I'm guilty of doing that at times.)
chickenlittle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:56 am      Reply with quote
ah, I love natural products when I can get them! but if I can't find them or they don't do the job, I try to find products chock full of actives and not too many chemicals!

With my nails, I haven't done a lot my whole life. Now I've decided to try and grow them very long and strong! So I'm trialling the Trind system, which isn't natural at all, but it got good reviews here on EDS.

I'm using the trind cuticle balm. Not sure how much it does really, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I pushed them back and now they look dry and papery, grr. I'm not sure there is enough to cut - are there special metal instruments for cutting cuticles?
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:17 am      Reply with quote
Hey Chickenlittle - Are you soaking your nails BEFORE you push your cuticles back? It sounds as if your cuticles are very dry and need to be softened so more before you attempt to push them back.

I love the Trind products and have had great results using the Nail Brightener alone. So I really believe you've selected a great system to grow your nails. If you are uncomfortable using chemical cuticle removers or balms, however, you can always use any kind of food grade oil on your cuticles to push them back (ie., olive oil, sunflower oil, etc).

Here is an EXCELLENT step-by-step video that demonstrates how to give yourself a French Manicure. It also walks you through the steps to push your cuticles back, so watch it for several great tips if nothing else.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-give-yourself-a-french-manicure

Forgot to also mention that I would NOT advise you to cut your cuticles, and would continue to soak them and use oils to gently push them back until you achieve the results you are looking for (with time and patience they will eventually look great! Smile ). HTH's!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Aha, yes, I was coming to that conclusion myself! I did it with no soaking at all. Next time I'll do it after a long hot bath. Also my cuticles and around my nails is just very dry at the mo, you are right - usually it's fine, don't know where this has come from. The trind cream is good, but I'll try and find a natural hand cream i think, and just rub it in all the time.

Getting nice nails is my little project! So thanks a million for that link. I want to learn to do a really good French Manicure, and do it all myself as I can afford to go to a manicurist every week!

For some reason, before I started Trind my nails had got very broken and flaky. So fingers crossed this will work to grow them long and pretty.

I'm starting with the trind kit with nail repair, nail balsam, cuticle balsam, cuticle remover and magic buffer.
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Glad to have helped! I always find that my cuticles become very dry when the seasons change, so I am forced to soak them in a bowl of warm water before I attempt to push them back. The dryness is especially noticeable if you live in a colder climate during the fall & winter (like I do!).

If you are diligent and follow the 14 day system that Trind outlines, you will notice a big improvement in your nails. To help your nails grow quicker and stronger I would suggest you add some supplements to your diet such as Biotin capsules and/or MSM (powder). Both of these supplements are ideal for keeping your hair, skin and nails healthy. Since I've upped my MSM dosage to 5 grams a day, I've noticed my nails are growing faster and looking so much better.

Whenever you notice your nails acting funny (breaking easily and flaking), this is generally a sign that something in your diet is lacking nutrient-wise, or your daily environment has changed in some way (dryness is often the culprit and can cause nails to become more brittle).

Your plan to use a daily hand cream will help a lot as well. Using a good cream on my cuticles before bedtime has proven very effective for me also. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
No ladies you're all confused... like I was on cuticle removers. There're not to remove your cuticles. The cuticles should always be left alone, DO NOT CUT them. Push back gently.

Cuticle removers remove the white dried up residue after nail polish remover use, ALONG THE EDGE OF YOUR CUTICLE. I find the Sally Hansen nail stone works good for removing that.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |