Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Newby - can I mix mineral makeup brands?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
blue_bug

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a newcomer to makeup in general. As a student I almost never wear any, but this last year I've started getting constant acne all over my face (as oppose to just occasionally in my t-zone like before--for no apparent reason except maybe stress??). I'd like to be able to conceal it, and also since I will soon be graduating, get something to look a bit professional without looking overly 'made up'. I was recently getting some skincare advice at a local natural pharmacy and was given some specific instructions by a helpful clerk: buy Jane Iredale loose mineral powder in Warm Silk (or a similar yellow-based shade, in spite of my pinkish undertone, in order to hide the red acne) and use a q-tip to apply it as a concealer on the acne. She said 'don't let anyone convince you to buy anything else like liquid concealer'.

I went to EDS and got the JI Warm Silk powder, which the employee there said seemed the closest match to my skin anyways. But I find that applying it to just the acne does cover it decently but doesn't blend well with the rest of my face. So I've tried applying the powder to all of my face as well. I'm not thrilled with the color though--it seems a little too yellow compared to my natural skin tone, and dampens the natural colour in my cheeks. So now I'm thinking maybe I should get a blush too? So I went to the store again and tried a few JI pressed powder blushes--'tawny' matched the foundation well but gave me a tanned look rather than the subtle pink glow I'm looking for; Dubonnet seemed like the right color but was too strong/dark; another pink one I tried was the right shade but too sparkly (I want matte, just natural-looking). I ended up buying 'Parfait' in spite of there being no tester, because its a nice pink and the clerk said it was a warm color. But after bringing it home I checked it online and its classified as 'cool', and I do think its not exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm going to return it.

So I couldn't find a good match in JI for a blush. I'm thinking I should look at another brand--Bare Escentuals seems to be more reasonable priced although I'd have to order online which seems risky for colour-matching (or maybe Alima or Lumiere since there are lots of raves for those on this forum). Or perhaps its not really blush I need to give a little color to my face, but one of those all-over-colour that BE makes (which would you recommend)? Or maybe the reason I looked washed-out with the JI is because I've got the wrong foundation color--would it be ok to use the JI Warm Silk powder as a concealer and then use a BE or other brand of powder (in a less yellow tone) on top for everywhere else? Or is it not good to mix brands or colors together?

FYI I have oily combination skin, most makeup people I've ever seen say I have 'nice skin' in spite of the acne. Looking at the BE/Sephora site it looks to me that I'm somewhere between a 'light with golden undertones' and a 'medium with neutral undertones'. In the sun I usually get rosy then tan after a few days, but not much.

Any advice would be appreciated!

blue_bug
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Mixing & matching mineral MU or any other cosmetics for that matter is no problem and really just a personal preference choice. When it comes to loose mineral MU the most difficult part is finding the most natural color match and finish that works with your individual skin. I would strongly recommend obtaining 3-4 samples of differing shades from several of the most recommended mineral brands. Try Alima, Lumiere, Glominerals, etc. Each one offers samples for about $1 each. The sample's are usually enough for about 5 full uses. After this you should have a much better idea of what works for you. Don't forget that when it comes to mineral MU using a primer, the correct brushes and a finishing/setting mist can make all the difference in the end result.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
You can try Everydayminerals (www.everydayminerals.com). They offer free sample kits, you just pay for the shipping. You get 3 sample foundations, one concealer and one blush. You can order as many kits as you want. The intensive concealer is recommended to cover your marks. There are a selection of colours depending on your skin tone. This is a much better way of trying out different colours and formulas than buying full sizes of the big commercial brands. The ingredients of the mineral foundations are very simple and less likely to break you out compared to the brands sold in dept. stores, many of which contain bismuth oxychloride. Another company worth trying is Lumiere (www.lumierecosmetics.com). They have a Try Me? sample kit of 4 foundations, one finishing powder and one blusher or face colour for USD6. Free shipping for everything during November and December 2007. All of these are much better value than JI and BE brands of mineral make up, especially as you are a student on a budget. Hope this helps!
blue_bug

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips! I didn't realize you could get such cheap samples, I'm definitely going to put in a few orders to test.

BTW, I happened upon another store that sells Jane Iredale and got a better assessment of my color--the 'Radiant' foundation looks much better on me, and the Parfait blush actually works quite well. I'm going to hold off though and check out other companies (especially since most are cheaper than JI!).
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |