Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Silicones in Liquid Mineral Foundation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:08 am      Reply with quote
I always wonder how come most liquid mineral foundations contain silicones. I thought the purpose of using mineral foundation is cuz there're no chemicals so it's good for the skin. Since so many ppl break out from using silicones, why are they still in most liquid mineral foundation? Isn't that defeating the purpose? Confused

Also, what's the difference in using a liquid or powder mineral foundation? Any good liquid mineral foundation out there then? thnx Smile
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Formulators use silicones in mineral foundations for several reasons. The minerals are very finely ground particles. Dry, they do not "spread" very well over the skin. But, silicones are great "pigment wetting agents". The liquid moves freely among the tiny particles and makes them slip and glide very easily. Then the liquid minerals can be applied to the skin in a smooth gliding motion so that application is much improved. The silicones that are used are also probably the "volatile" type like cyclopentasiloxane. Once applied and out in the air, the silicone evaporates off leaving only the dry mineral on the skin, and also it cannot clog pores that way because it evaporates away.

Long lasting foundations use heavier silicones that are not volatile. These not only help the particles spread easier, but also form a protective barrier to keep the colored particles in place for a long time. However, these types of silicones have a potential for clogging pores.

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:30 am      Reply with quote
John C. Hill, I checked the ingredients in their liquid mineral foundation. The 1st ingredient is dimethicone (and) dimeticone vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer. Are those pore clogging? I also see boron nitride in their ingredients. What is it then?

Personally, I kinda prefer my MMU to contain just the few basic ingredients such as Zinc, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, and Mica. It seems more pure Very Happy
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:38 am      Reply with quote
These are a couple of the heavier silicones and they are not volatile. They will remain on the skin when the product is applied. They will help the product feel silky smooth when applied as well, but they can also be pore clogging for some people.

Boron Nitride is a very fine particle sized white powder. It is usually used as a "flow aid" as well, and sometimes for the white color to tone down the shade a little bit.

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Thanks John C. Hill! So u r saying that all liquid mineral makeup out there will most likely contain silicones?

So I assume Boron Nitride is not harmful to the skin then?
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Stardusty, this is the ingredients for a liquid MMU I've been using since the Santa Ana winds hit in SoCal. Powder MMU leaves my face looking a little too caky and dry; this one fits the bill perfectly. Doesn't look like any silicones exist here.

This is fromwww.ncnproskincare.com and is truly lovely MMU.

FIRMING LIQUID MINERALS WITH DMAE & MSM:
Ingredients: Organic Aloe Juice, Organic Jojoba Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Emulsifying Wax, Iron Oxide, Vitamin E, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Zinc Oxide, DMAE, Stearic Acid, Meadowfoam Oil, Carrot Oil, MSM, Konjac Glucomannan (Mannan), Rosemary Extract, Neem, Tetrasodium Edta, Citric Acid.

I don't like silicones on my face, they clog my pores but I don't mind 'cones on my hair, they contribute to softness by encouraging the cuticle on my curly hair to lay flat.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Hey Stardusty, this is the ingredients for a liquid MMU I've been using since the Santa Ana winds hit in SoCal. Powder MMU leaves my face looking a little too caky and dry; this one fits the bill perfectly. Doesn't look like any silicones exist here.

This is fromwww.ncnproskincare.com and is truly lovely MMU.

FIRMING LIQUID MINERALS WITH DMAE & MSM:
Ingredients: Organic Aloe Juice, Organic Jojoba Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Emulsifying Wax, Iron Oxide, Vitamin E, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Zinc Oxide, DMAE, Stearic Acid, Meadowfoam Oil, Carrot Oil, MSM, Konjac Glucomannan (Mannan), Rosemary Extract, Neem, Tetrasodium Edta, Citric Acid.

I don't like silicones on my face, they clog my pores but I don't mind 'cones on my hair, they contribute to softness by encouraging the cuticle on my curly hair to lay flat.

Thanks athena123!! hhm it seems there're a lot of oils in this foundation. Is it safe for break out prone skin? Thanks Smile
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Stardusty, my skin is quite oily and prone to clogged pores; I have to be pretty careful about ingredients. None of the oils in this MMU clog my pores at all. As a matter of fact, I use pure jojoba oil daily to remove makeup. Meadowfoam Seed oil and Carrot Seed oil have additional benefits as well and haven't caused any problems for me at all.

Good luck,

Athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks athena123, it sounds like a pretty good liquid MMU. Does it accentuate pores and fine lines? Did u try putting this under your eyes? I have dark circles and it seems that whatever I put there creased and looks cakey Crying or Very sad

I'll order their samples when I'm running out of my current MMU. I have so many MMU samples from other companies that I need to throw out, such a waste. Although the samples are cheap itself but there're postage. Also it adds up too. Sad
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi Star, yes I do apply this under eyes [very lightly] and it doesn't accentuate lines at all. I normally prefer powder mineral makeup but have found this to be infinitely preferable to any other liquid foundation when my skin is tending a little more dry.

Good luck and I hope you like it!

chinee
5% products discount

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
Silicones are used widely for the reasons below:

Silicones are much lighter than vegetable/animal oils and mineral oils. Although vegetable or animal oils are more natural and have ingredients good for skin, many of them are more greasy.

Silicones are much safer than most kinds of artificial oils, although the latter are light also and thus used even more widely.

There are various silicones that can be used for different purposes. Some evaporate quickly after applied on skin, just creating good spreading feel. Some have good visual smoothing effect (this is why product users love). Some bring good water-proof effect.

I know a professor teaching cosmetic formulation and ingredient safty recommands silicones oil greatly for the above reasons.

If I read silicones in ingredient list of a product, I don't avoid using the product.
What I care are ofter artificial oils and emusifiers.

Powder is generally safer than liquid, lotion or cream, because there are less ingredients requiring consideration, such as emusifiers, oils, and etc.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
stardusty, the NCN liquid minerals is super sheer. I ordered some samples to try and it definitely covers way less than any of my 4 tinted sunscreens (juice beauty, sofina, sunkiller, or SVR). i like the sheer coverage myself but if you are looking to conceal more imperfections, then i would definitely try another line. I know quite a few liquid minerals are silicone free including Monave and Lumiere.

Lumiere: http://www.lumierecosmetics.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=47&pg=1

Monave ingredients (3 formulations):

Liquid Foundations

Liquid Matte Foundation base: Wildcrafted Rosemary Hydrosol, Squalene, Broccoli Seed Oil, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Xantham Gum, Vitamin E, Suprapein (non-paraben preservative derived from essential oils).

Cream Foundation base:Organic sunflower oil, Soybean Oil, Jojoba, Unrefined Shea Butter, Purified Water, Beeswax, Wheat Germ Oil, Borax, Organic Aloe Leaf Juice, Chammomile Extract Vitamin E, Essential Oils of Rosewood, Lavender, WIldcrafted Rosemary.

Liquid Foundation - Moisture Mousse Foundation: Rose Hydrosol, organic jojoba, apricot kernel oil, organic shea butter, sunbleached beexwax, borax, soy lecithin, lavender hydrosol, xanthan gum, essential oils of rosewood, lavender and rose, vitamin e.

http://www.monave.com/catalog/cosmetics/face/mineral_foundation/Liquid_and_Cream_Foundations-426-1.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:08 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Skincareaddicted. R u sure Lumiere liquid mineral doesn't have silicones in it? I checked their ingredients and it contains dimethicone....hhm...
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:24 am      Reply with quote
I've been using lumiere liquid mineral foundation for a while and I didnt break out. I have acne prone skin. Just wondering if there is mineral oil and talc in a foundation, is it pore clogging?

Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Lumiere's liquid foundation does have silicone. Dimethicone is a type of silicone.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi, sorry about that. I thought lumiere's didn't and when i did a quick search, i couldn't find the ingredients. i say i am surprised that lumiere does though!

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |