Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oily but also very dry at T-zone, please help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
autumnApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I'm a new to the forum on EDS. I've had troubled skin for a long time and I'm having a really hard time finding skin care products that's really suited for me.

I figured I have combination skin because my skin is both "VERY" oily and "VERY" dry. However, the impression I got from most people when they say they got combination skin is that they have oily t-zone but cheeks are dry. I'm NOT this type of combination skin. For me, like the title of this post indicated (and especially at my nose area where this problem is most visible), I'm both VERY VERY OILY (shine shine shine!) and very very dry (it's flakey). I think my type of skin is oily on the outside, but inside is actually very dry. Any ladies here at EDS got similar problem?

I've tried skin care product that are for oily/combination skin. So far, I haven't found something that really helps. When I use those oily/combination skin type lotion, I put it on, and then 10 minutes later my nose is all oily and shiny. And everytime after I wash my face, I can clearly see my face is very dry and flaky, particularly at the area (meaning nose) where it's the most oily.

I think (cause I'm not an expert with skin care) most skin care products for oily skin are meant to control or suppress oil production on the face. But for me, this just doesn't work that well because my skin is quite dehydrated at the problem t-zone as well. So if I use something that is meant to control/suppress oil production, it makes my skin even dryer and thus somehow the skin produces oil to combat that. You see the pattern? (Hope I'm not confusing you, ladies).

So I'm posting here on EDS forum and hoping some of you ladies here can give me some suggestions. I don't know what to do with my skin. The skin care products I'm using now seems to help a bit regarding reducing oily-ness (and thus reduing the shine on T-zone). But it really isn't helping with how dry and flaky my t-zone is underneath all that oily-ness. So please please help if you have any suggestions on what products to try (preferably more natural/organic if possible). I'd really appreciate it.

The skin care product I'm currently using:
Washing face -- Kosmea Clarifying Facial Wash
Toner -- PSF R&R Toning Mist
Lotion (both day and night) -- Decleor Aroma Purete Matt Finish Skin Fluid (I just purchased this product 2 months ago from EDS based on the wonderful review. I must say it did help with the oily-ness of my t-zone, but it doesn't help with the dehydration. Somehow it seems that I cannot use heavier lotion to help withmy dehydrated t-zone because it makes my t-zone even more oily! Goodness!!)

I know my skin care routine is kind of... well... really basic. This is partly because I don't know better and I'm trying to keep things simple. And as you can see, I'm also trying to use more natural/organic products in the hopes that without added harmful chemicals, my skin will be happier. Instead of suppressing a problem, use something to help the skin heal and become balance.

Please help, all you wonderful lady on EDS forum Smile

P.S. I'm Asian in late 20's. Not sure if this info makes a difference for making suggestions for my skin care products?
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I have the more traditional combination skin you describe (oily T-zone, normal cheeks) but maybe I can offer some helpful advice anyway.

I find that if I apply a small amount of emu oil on my face at night while it is still damp after washing it seems to perform dual roles of both keeping my skin moisturized while at the same time controlling excess oil production. When I go to bed my face is pretty shiny from the oil but by the time I wake up it has absorbed and my skin looks fresh and glowy. Nights that I don't do the emu oil my skin is actually oiler the morning after.

Anyway, by applying the oil your skin shouldn't get too dry and at the same time shouldn't start producing too much oil. That seems to be how it works for me, although like I said my skin isn't exactly like yours. Good luck!

Elaine

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi mamawalnut,

Thank you for the suggestion Smile I'm a bit clueless when it comes to oil for skin, so hopefully what I'm about to ask isn't all that dumb. Would you happen to know how emu oil compare to Decleor Aromessence Ylang Ylang? I've tried Ylang Ylang but it turned out bad for me. I think Ylang Ylang tried to reduce/suppress oil production on my t-zone. If I just have oily t-zone, that would've been fine I guess. However, since my t-zone is actually rather dry and flaky underneath all the scary oily-ness and shine, Ylang Ylang dries out my t-zone pretty good and thus my t-zone skin tried to combat it by producing more oil (it was not pretty).

So I'm wondering emu oil's main job is reducing the oil on the face like Decleor Ylang Ylang, or the main purpose is to hydrate but just have the added benefit of reducing the oil/shine?
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
I used to have the same problem. Very oily t-zone and dry everywhere else. I use jojoba oil (bought at the health food store) and pearl paste (home based company, pm me if you want details). I used to have very oily skin and would use those blotting papers constantly. Since I have started using the jojoba oil and pearl paste, I would consider my skin normal. The 2 products work well together and balance my skin out. I don't even have a sheen by the end of the day any more.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
You could always try Omega oil with cypress and lavender essense. Or just buy from Sonya Dakar. Her Omega 3 oil treatment really worked out for me. I've also been using Vivier 20% vitamin C.

You may want to read Miranets post on Cellcosmet. I use this line also and can swear that it does not cause acne. Also, using Kate Somerville's Kate In A Jar once a week helped also.

Some love using enzyme exfoliator because it is more gentle. I found Kanebo too drying.

Cellcosmet scrub has tiny beads and is gentle and when I need it to be a bit stronger, I use it as a mask or on-the-spot treatment for those affected areas. Then it can be quite drying, but it does work.

I really can't comment on the toner that you are using. Personally, I don't like toners because the way I see it, if your cleanser is not removing gently the dirt from your skin, then it is not a good cleanser.

Maybe you may want to use Cetaphil gentle cleanser in the AM and something a touch stronger in the PM. You could use Cellcosmet or Cetaphil for oily skin. It can really remove your eye make-up without drying out the skin around you eyes.

I would add new products slowly for now.

To save money, maybe just go out and purchase Cetaphil gentle cleanser for now. Vivier vitamin C texture is know for feeling oily. But does not cause breakouts. Maybe that would be next on your list or maybe you want to order Omega oil from Sonya Dakar. If you do, only use half a pump. That should be enough for once a day (AM).

Please keep us up-to-date on what you plan on doing and share with us what positive or negative changes happened.
autumnApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Diana P,

Thanks for the suggestion. Just curious, you said you used to have very oily t-zone, but dry everywhere else. But is your t-zone also really dry under all that oily-ness? Mine is the type where the t-zone is very oily AND ALSO very dry (Yah, I know this sounds strange, but this really is my skin type at my t-zone). As for the rest of my face (meaning excluding the t-zone), it's normal to dry. So the way I would describe my t-zone is oily on the outer layer but really dehydrated underneath.

The jojoba oil and pearl paste, do you use that to replace lotion? Meaning you use the jojoba oil and pearl paste right after using the toner and then don't put on lotion afterwards? Sorry, just trying to understand your routine of incoperating jojoba oil and pearl paste. Many thanks Smile
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't tried the Yling Ylang so I can't compare the two but I do think they are supposed to serve a similar purpose (as well as jojoba like Diana mentioned) to supply the skin with oil similar its own so the pores won't go into oil-production overdrive. I guess if Yling Ylang didn't agree with you then emu might not either. I definitely don't think the emu dries me out though and therefore makes me produce more oil; my skin is less oily (but definitely not dry) the mornings after I use emu versus the nights I don't.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks mamawalnut! That's some useful information to know Smile I was actually disappointed when I found out that Ylang Ylang wasn't working for me. I was crossing my finger that Ylang Ylang would fix the problem since so many people rave about it. But I suppose my skin is a less common type of combination skin so that Ylang Ylang isn't right for me.

I do hope that there are members on EDS forum with the same type of problem as I do and found something that really help with this type of weird t-zone. Never hurt to at least try and ask, eh?
ejthomas
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
hi autumnApple,

when I read your description of your skin, it had me wondering about your t-zone pattern. In some ways, your skin sounds like it behaves similarly to mine, if I'm understanding correctly. I have combo skin with an oily t-zone, but I find that if I leave my skin after cleansing for about 10 minutes with no steam or products, then it actually starts looking really dry and flaky, then goes into oil overdrive after about 15 minutes. If I apply creams, it stops the swings to dryness, then oiliness. Is that how it works for you?

Could you tell me what your skin is like if you just cleanse and tone, and leave it for about 30 minutes without any day / night cream (in both the t-zone and cheek areas)? What sort of exfoliation do you use? Does your skin break out if you use the wrong products, or is it just oily?

I'm 40 years old with normal / combo skin, fighting a legacy of bad genes and a somewhat irresponsible but fun series of poor lifestyle choices through my 20s (ok, maybe it might have stretched a bit longer than that...)
autumnApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hello ejthomas,

Thank you for the quick reply and being so patient and helpful Smile

After reading what you just posted, I think we may be a bit more similar than I understood earlier. The difference is that my t-zone started to feel/appear dry/dehydrated and flaky right away!! I do apply toner and lotion right after I wash my face. So I cannot really tell you what happens to my skin when I leave it for 30 minutes because I'm scared to leave it without any hydration for that long. After I apply toner, the dehydration of t-zone is very very slightly improved. And after lotion, it looks alright (unless I take a closer look in the mirror which reveals a bit of flakes on the nose).

I don't really think it's caused by harsh cleanser because what I currently use is about the mildest cleanser I ever used. Most of the cleanser I used earlier makes my t-zone "squeaky clean" and even more dehydrated which I makes me feel that the cleanser strips too much moisture off my skin.

I think the current lotion I use (Decleor Aroma Purete Matt Finish Skin Fluid) helps with reducing oil/shine on t-zone. I mean it doesn't really keep the oil/shine away from t-zone all day long, but at least so far it's been the lotion that works the best on me in terms of oil control. Though it's not really helping with dehydration of my face, especially at t-zone. I actually started to think that the dehydration may be one of the root problems of my t-zone being so extremely oily.

The trouble is if I use lotion that's a bit richer than Decleor Aroma Purete Matt Finish Skin Fluid my skin, especially t-zone, would scream at me and pores get clugged even if the lotion was meant for oily skin. So sadly, I couldn't find products to both hydrate and maybe thus reduce the crazy oil production on t-zone. Of course, there are so many lotions out there, maybe I've just used ones that didn't really work for me.

So to answer your questions, I've never tried leaving my face for 30 minutes without lotion after cleaning it and applying toner. My face, both t-zone and cheeks would be too dry if I do that. The exfoliator I use is Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant (is it any good?). My skin does break out (acne prone) all the time. I don't know if it's caused by wrong products though.
ejthomas
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:33 am      Reply with quote
autumnApple,

Our skin does sound like it has some similar behavioural problems, only my cheeks are actually pretty normal. I don't think of myself as acne-prone unless I use the wrong products and then it can get damned nasty! It's funny, even though my nose does the same thing (water-based cleansing makes it flaky, dry, then oily), it's never really occurred to me to call this 'dehydration'. When I was a teenager serving at department store cosmetic counters, a lot of women said their oily nose patches went through this dry, flaky stage if you let it dry after cleansing, so I thought it was pretty standard behaviour for t-zones. Stand to be corrected, of course, but when I think of obvious dehydration, I think of the lines in skin that disappear when lotion is applied. So what I mean to say is, I'd be inclined to not worry too much about the nose being dehydrated, as if you focus on that, you might select a treatment that makes oily skin worse. I’ve just learned to not let the skin dry off completely between the cleansing, toning and moisturising steps.

I'm not familiar with cleanser you’re using. I use Dermalogica anti-bac gel and Guerlain Issima cream cleanser for the eye area when going through the toning routine afterward. I’ve heard good things about the Cetaphil cleansers suggested in an earlier post.

I’ve heard a lot of good comments about Dermalogica daily microfoliant, but I found it made my skin flake through the day. I just use Dermalogica skin prep scrub or Jurlique face wash cream once a week. Manual exfoliation seems to work better for me than chemical exfoliation. Most of my exfoliation is achieved daily through using toner-saturated cotton swabs straight after cleansing (with a little cream cleanser around the eyes). The swabs are a really important aspect for me. As your toner is in a spray, I’d recommend you soak a cotton swab with it and wipe that over your skin after cleansing. Every other form of exfoliation I've tried - particularly chemical-based exfoliants - has me flaking through the day. I used to think toner was a waste of time, but then realised that this step really reduced my mid-day flaking and made my skin brighter. For my combo skin, I find sensitive skin toners are better than astringent or hydrating ones. Your PSF one sounds good.

For moisturiser, your Decleor one sounds right, too. I can't comment on the emu oil recommendation because I've never used it, but any plant-based oil I’ve ever used has made me break out. I sure can back the earlier recommendation of Cellcosmet for day and eye creams that don’t create breakouts, but I did find myself flaking by lunchtime with their cleansing / exfoliating products. I prefer my skin to have a bit of gleam than be matte, so currently use a Babor cream. When I went through a period of trying to tone the shine right down, I used Thalgo mattifying day cream, which probably has the same effect as your Decleor one. Which brings me to blotting paper. My solution is to just use a facial tissue and have a good pressed powder compact in need. I use Shiseido powdery foundation lightly.

So I guess I’m suggesting that maybe you could just not focus on the dehydration issue (because it may lead you to products that will make skin break out), keep up the quick routine, use cotton swabs with your toner, use the Microfoliant only once a week, and blot with tissues through the day? Do you think that might work? I’m not sure, but at least you can tell if a change in the procedures, rather than the products, will help. And if not, you've got a lot of product recommendations to try!

Sorry for the massively long response. All the best, and let us know how you go.

I'm 40 years old with normal / combo skin, fighting a legacy of bad genes and a somewhat irresponsible but fun series of poor lifestyle choices through my 20s (ok, maybe it might have stretched a bit longer than that...)
autumnApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Skincare and ejthomas,

Thank you both for taking the time to help out. Really appreciate it Smile

I don't mind the long posts at all. Got a lot of useful information out of it. Laughing Seems like there are some good stuff out there which I can try. Cellcosmet seems good only its price is not pretty. But I'll take a look at other suggested products and routine.

ejthmas, when you use jojoba oil and pearl paste, do you use it right after toner? And after jojoba oil and pearl paste, you don't need to put on lotion afterwards? And do you use it only at night or in the morning as well? Sorry to ask so many questions. Just hope I'm getting the routine correct from your description.

Thanks again for being so patient and helpful!!
ejthomas
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
autumnApple, I think Diana P was using the jojoba oil and pearl paste... Smile

violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
hi autumnapple-- I have skin like yours. I know what you mean when you say dry and oily at the same time. I find I have to focus on the correcting the dryness-- I can't use just products for oily or combo skin, or else I'll dry out.

My suggestion would be to use a light, but penetrating moisturizer during the day (I like DHC Rich Moisture) and a heavier nigth cream-- right now I'm using Olay Night Fortifying Cream. As for cleansers-- I go for a gentle one in the AM (cetaphil), and either Proactiv or PSF Papaya cleansing gel at night. I would also suggest a once a week peel. Neutrogena Acne Mark fading peel is nice, even if you don't have acne marks. Very Happy
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
autumnApple wrote:
Hi Diana P,

Thanks for the suggestion. Just curious, you said you used to have very oily t-zone, but dry everywhere else. But is your t-zone also really dry under all that oily-ness? Mine is the type where the t-zone is very oily AND ALSO very dry (Yah, I know this sounds strange, but this really is my skin type at my t-zone). As for the rest of my face (meaning excluding the t-zone), it's normal to dry. So the way I would describe my t-zone is oily on the outer layer but really dehydrated underneath.

The jojoba oil and pearl paste, do you use that to replace lotion? Meaning you use the jojoba oil and pearl paste right after using the toner and then don't put on lotion afterwards? Sorry, just trying to understand your routine of incoperating jojoba oil and pearl paste. Many thanks Smile

My routine is to cleanse with Cetaphil (best gentle cleanser ever) then spray with Dr Hauschka clarifying toner, then vitamin C and HA serum, then pat a few drops of jojoba oil and rub a tiny bit of pearl paste into the skin. I wait a few minutes before applying MMU. I find the jojoba oil helps the pearl paste to absorb into the skin. This combo has saved my skin. I'll send you the link of where I buy the pearl paste. I really recommend at least buying samples and see how it works for you.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi autumnApple, I agree with you about Cellcosmet price. It is hard to swallow. You may not be ready to spend it right now...hope you can get some samples. The key is to use very little because it is very concentrated.

I've read good things about jojoba and I have not tried it except for my hair.
autumnApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, thanks you gals for all the nice suggestions!! You are wonderful Cool
autumnApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
oh, ejthomas, sorry about misdirecting the questions to you. And Diana, thanks again for PM me the info!!
ejthomas
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:32 am      Reply with quote
autumnApple, no problem, and I hope you find something that works for you.

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |