Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What are your thoughts on washing powders?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Of course I don't mean washing powder for cleaning your clothes Wink

I was just browsing the different forums and came across washing powders from Japanese skincare lines, so I was wondering if anyone uses washing powders and is effectiveness for cleansing the face?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Do you mean like rice granule washes?
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
The likes of DHC washing powder, HABA, Fancl etc etc Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
From an ingredients perspective, some powders just contain powdered foaming agents - so it is the same as (or perhaps harsher than) using a gel based product.

Other types like Kanebo and Dermalogica contain enzymes which are meant to have gentle exfoliating actions. I have tried both and I must say my skin is more used to aggressive scrubs so they have done nothing for me.

I don't think they are any more or less effective, but just a different way of cleaning. Some people might like the idea of a powder, while I prefer a more practical gel or cream.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm, so the ingredients are more or less the same?
I was on MUA and the DHC and HABA washing powders have 4.3+% and they both seem to be very reasonably priced and acne-prone members say that it is gentle yet effective on their skin and calms down the redness.

I think I will give them a try if I can find a reliable source to get them from.

Anymore thoughts on different brands of washing brands?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
I used washing powder from KOSE, FANCL. I like both of them. It makes my face feel not dry like soap and I feel enjoyable with makeing a lot of bubble and use bubble to clean my face so my hand not touch on my face.
cindy67
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:28 am      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
Of course I don't mean washing powder for cleaning your clothes Wink

I was just browsing the different forums and came across washing powders from Japanese skincare lines, so I was wondering if anyone uses washing powders and is effectiveness for cleansing the face?

Very Happy I thought it WAS real washing powders for clothes. I find my Dermalogica Microexfoliant a very good alternative to a cleanser in the morning.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:33 am      Reply with quote
I think powder would turn into foam, which means it's good for really oily skin? I dunno~ =P
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
haha at first when reading the subjectline i thought this was thread must be about washing powder for clothes so i never clicked on it but got curious today Laughing

im thinking you mean like cleansing powders? I have tried only one powder cleanser so far and that was from the body shop, their whitening range cleanser that they have comes in powder form as well. Very Happy . It was ok. But i wouldnt want to go back to it again. Dont like powder cleansers Bad Grin
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Yeah, cleansing powders but they all label it as "washing powders".

I have bought the HABA and DHC washing powders and other things too Rolling Eyes, from www.bobodave.com. Their CS so far is amazing...super fast replies to my numerous emails that are quite looong and they were so sweet, cos I emailed them if they're gonna stock various other things I wanted to try and within 2 days, they listed it onto thier website AND emailed to notify me too. If the delivery is as smooth as this then I will for sure buy from them again.

Will review them when I have used it!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I like the powder from Fresh. But very very expensive Sad
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
There are just too many brands to name, but if you google Kose and Kanebo parent companies, you can find a directory of all the skincare/makeup ranges that are manufactured by them. Many Japanese skincare lines do some sort of cleansing powder, bobodave.com lists the more popular ones. Although there is such a huge range I am not quite sure what distinguishes their quality.
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
cindy67 wrote:
Very Happy I thought it WAS real washing powders for clothes. I find my Dermalogica Microexfoliant a very good alternative to a cleanser in the morning.

YY, I too think this is great stuff. It my follow Epidermix nicely in your routine. It is available in sample packets, too.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:38 am      Reply with quote
melanie haber wrote:
cindy67 wrote:

YY, I too think this is great stuff. It my follow Epidermix nicely in your routine. It is available in sample packets, too.

I've actually used the Dermalogica Microfoliant but had no luck with it (along with other Dermalogica products). I broke out from it and it just didnt make my skin "smooth".

But thanks for all your suggestions Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:19 am      Reply with quote
so far i have only tried Haba washing powder. since i m using other kose skincare products, i am thus very tempt to try out kose washing powder.

any review or feedback on the pdt? i am more of combination skin with outbreak on and off. is it suitable?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
The DHC washing powder doesn't work for dry skin, unfortunately. I borrowed some from my daughter when visiting her and had high hopes that I could use it while traveling, but no such luck...
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
rainbow_listic wrote:
so far i have only tried Haba washing powder. since i m using other kose skincare products, i am thus very tempt to try out kose washing powder.

Hi rainbow_listic
What was the HABA washing powder like? Is it an effective cleanser- remove sunscreen, makeup, eye makeup?
Which Kose products are you using at the moment? Cos I've ordered a few Kose stuff too Very Happy

flitcraft wrote:
The DHC washing powder doesn't work for dry skin, unfortunately. I borrowed some from my daughter when visiting her and had high hopes that I could use it while traveling, but no such luck...

Hi flitcraft
Sorry it didnt work out for you, but its good to hear that its not suitable for dry skin...cos I have combo skin Wink . On MUA, I read that most members who have reviewed it, have acne-prone or combo skin.
How long has your daughter been using the DHC?

Thanks very much!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi yeah,yeah: My daughter is 26 with combo to oily skin. She's been using the DHC washing powder for about 18 months, I think. She likes it for getting sunscreen off, but she uses a makeup remover for mascara and eye makeup. I'm not sure how it compares with other things she's tried. Hope this helps.
peppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:36 am      Reply with quote
Laughing like a few people, I thought this was a post for detergent! What is the benefit of a "washing powder" over a normal cleanser? I have also tried the dermalogica microfoliant - more so for its exfoliating properties but found it too drying.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using HABA's powder wash twice now but I cant seem to get it to foam up...for those who use this, is there a "special way"?

I;ve tried adding between 1-5 drops of water to the powder but it cant seem to bubble. I've read how these washing powders make loadsa bubbles but with mine, it's just like a liquid than a foam.

I am wondering if its expired or whether I'm just not doing it right Confused

Thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the Fancl washing powder but I thought it's too dry for me!
rebeccaj
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:45 am      Reply with quote
I have been using FANCL's wash powder for quite some years. I personally think it's the best among its Japanese peers Laughing
But as I am getting older, these products turns to be too dry for my skin, and I've given up completely.
rebeccaj
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:47 am      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
I've been using HABA's powder wash twice now but I cant seem to get it to foam up...for those who use this, is there a "special way"?

I;ve tried adding between 1-5 drops of water to the powder but it cant seem to bubble. I've read how these washing powders make loadsa bubbles but with mine, it's just like a liquid than a foam.

I am wondering if its expired or whether I'm just not doing it right Confused

Thanks!

Hi yeahyeah, I found it more difficult to foam up HABA's wash powder, compared to others like FANCL's. A sponge or brush may help.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi rebecca

Thanks for your reply....I have now found a way to foam it (more powder and water) but I'm thinking that maybe its clogging my pores as I have a few blackheads on my cheeks and forehead and my skin is quite bumpy. So I've quit using it. Although I do like the HABA, as it makes my skin squeeky clean and not dry at all.

Once my skin clears up, I am going to try DHC's washing powder. Hopefully, that wont clog my pores.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Phyto-C SuperHeal O-Live Lotion (30 g / 1 floz) Osea Ocean Lotion (180 ml / 6 floz) Skin Biology Protect & Restore High Retinol and Oil of Lavender - Large (113.4 g / 4 oz)