Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Super-sensitive skin freakout -- any suggestions or tips?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I recently posted in a thread about Osea products that my skin has totally freaked out lately. Sad As in, just the past couple of days. I recently started using Retin-A again after years of being off it, and it was going well finally (after that initial peely-uncomfortable stage) when it all came crashing down.

For the past few days, I've been using up a sample of a gel-based cleanser from Osea that I didn't realize contained lactic acid, which made my already sensitized skin all red and blotchy on my neck, and then I went swimming with a friend today, which made it a ton worse! Now my whole neck is a blotchy, scaly, itchy, ugly mess! I'm worried because it actually feels pre-hives, too, like it's that irritated. (I'm sometimes prone to getting them, but only on rare occasions when I get this inflamed, and it's usually because of seasonal allergy stuff, and not just a product.)

Thanks goodness it's just my neck and not my whole face too. Still, though, my face is mildly irritated as well, and my neck looks like I have a bunch of beestings or something. I just wanted to see if any of you have suggestions for what to do or avoid, in addition to what I'm already doing!

I switched to using only jojoba oil and warm water to cleanse both my face and neck, and I stopped using toner or Retin-A or even normal moisturizer, and just went straight to applying a custom-blended facial oil that's mostly macadamia and apricot kernel. (Everything else really stings right now.)

I'm also going to brew some organic chamomile tea and use the cooled tea as a toner, since I know chamomile is a great anti-inflammatory. I will also drink some since I believe manslayerliz posted about how her derm said this can help too. And of course, I'm trying to avoid touching it.

Anything else you guys can think of? I'm pinching pennies right now so home-based DIY stuff would be welcome since that's inevitably cheaper. Thanks in advance, and I won't worry if no one has anything to add -- I'm pretty sure I'm doing all the right things (which mainly involves not doing much of anything!). I just would like it to get at least marginally under control before my mom comes into town tomorrow evening, because even though I'm the family skincare expert, I know she'll coo and fret and try to suggest a million things and not let up about it. Ah, moms. They mean well! Very Happy

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry ginnielizz that this happened. I don't have any ideas, just sending commiseration and good vibes to you and hope you get over it before your mother arrives. I can imagine how you feel. Big hug.
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
ginnieliz, it sounds like you're doing all the right things.
If you have any burning and/or itching, you can mix a teaspoon of white vinegar in to a cup of cool water and make a compress. I used that after a burny itchy peel thing.

And maybe a little aloe?
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have had and done things that have made my sensitive skin go mad too..I now make a lotion from aloe gel (about 60ml) and a few drops of blue chammomile oil and a drop of rose oil and about 5 drops of lavender oil shake it up and use that...keep it in the fridge .... use only the gentlest of moisturisers (like hope in a jar) no retin A nothing with vit a or c or acid...just pure moisture and anti inflam masks ...(I have used DDF Clarins etc.....anything that deals with post peeled skin will bring the inflammation down ) . Try makin a mask of oatmeal mixed with brewed chammomile and or lavender and or marigold tea . Make a paste and let that sit on your face (laying back to keep it there)...oatmeal is so soothing as is marigold (calendula)
good luck
chickenlittle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ginnieliz, I had a problem with sensitized skin after using too much Devita AHA and enzyme products.

I tried just about everything to calm it down - the best thing I think is to use your mildest cleanser then just cover with Emu oil.

hope your skin calms down soon!
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
When I got allergic for somthing, I like to use aloe vera gel for sooth it for a few days before I will start to use skincare again.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I'm finally back to calm, though I was still splotchy and itchy during the holiday. I'm still off the Retin-A, but I'll probably go back to it tomorrow night. I want to give a real break, but I tried applying a couple other products that had stung during sensitive time, and they were fine, so I think I'm springing back into it. Thanks again for all your help and tips! I'll continue watching this thread so I can go back and reference it if it happens again. Smile

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, Ginnieliz, I'm wondering if you can still use the Devita sunscreen. Did you get to where you could still use it while on Retin A? I'm scared to try it again after what happened.

But I wonder if the sensitivity was related to the Devita (sunscreen, not just the AHA). Because what happened to you is what my sensitivity to the sunscreen looked like.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:08 am      Reply with quote
You know, I did get to the point where I could use the Devita with no stinging, it just took a bit of time. And I'm so obsessed with the stuff that I'm probably more determined than most!

Even now, after my skin freakout, I can use the Devita OK, I just find I need additional moisturizing underneath to help banish flakes after this episode. But yeah, I can still use it.

Were you recently on Retin-A, or had you been on it for a while? I'm curious to know if the reaction was because it was a new thing for your skin to be on retinols, or if you'd been at it for a while.

michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:05 am      Reply with quote
I had been on it for a while. And my skin was mostly used to it. At first, the Devita just burned my eyes and not my face. Then it started slowly. Burned my face a little but I kept going. Like you, I'm obsessed with it. By day 4 or 5 it burned like a mo-fo and I was waving my hands around in front my face when I used it. So it was getting crazy. My face had red, rough patches. I had to stop retin A and EVERYTHING else for days. I just used water and even stopped sunscreen completely.

Now I'm back to retin A. I use the PSF with it for spreadability but now I'm wondering if that is also a problem. I'm also back to the Mychelle sunsheild but I like it sooo much less. I'm just too scared to try the Devita one again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Wow, well, your reaction sounded a LOT worse than mine as far as the Devita goes, so I think you were probably wise to quit! I got the rough red patches, but mine were definitely from Retin-A and other harsh stuff I had going on (at least I think I can say it was "definitely" that -- so hard to tell).

I used to use the MyChelle sun shield, and I agree that it's nowhere near as nice as the Devita, but it IS a lot gentler. Some other folks on here keep raving about Marie Veronique sunscreen -- have you tried those yet?

Sorry to hear the Devita made your skin so sad. But hey, if you need to get rid of your quantity, we *are* both in the same city and I do still use it, so maybe we can swap for it or something so you're not stuck with a nearly-full jar - PM me if you feel like it! Very Happy

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |