Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Matte vs. Dewy Makeup
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
I'm curious as to why many ladies here on EDS prefer a matte face over a glowy dewy face? I'm not talking about a shiny face but a nice dewy glow to your complexion if you get what I mean. Very Happy
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I guess I prefer matte because I haven't really figured out how to achieve that nice dewy finish (the "glow" people talk about); I end up just looking oily or shiny. And shine on my face accentuates fine lines, especially around the eye/cheek area. Since my skin tends to be oily I go for products that give a matte finish to help offset that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Those of us over a certain age often tend to prefer a bit of dewiness to a matte finish. Matte finished tend to exaggerate the look of dry skin.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
My oily skin can't look matte at all! It is always shiny more or less depending on how much powder I put on and the weather!
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with flitcraft that dewier as opposed to matte looks glowier and younger for anyone. My young neighbor goes for matte and I have to fight my impulse to tell her to do something else to give her some glow as she is a truly beautiful girl, but could look healthier and more attractive, but that's just my opinion. What I like. Obviously she doesn't think so as she goes to a lot of trouble to make herself look the way she does. Wasn't matte "in" like 10 years ago?
Maria1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:29 am      Reply with quote
I prefer the dewy finish. I have dry skin so the matte look would age me. It really depends on your age and skin type I guess.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Another dewy girl here. My skin is dry most of the time and I need all the help I can get to make it glow and dewy. Matte finish tends to look cakey and accentuates my dehydration lines even more. However, I find that to achieve the right dewy and glowy look isn't as easy as I hope it to be. Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:52 am      Reply with quote
I prefer matte as dewy makes my lines look more pronounced. I love the dewy look but on me its just a no no!! Its hard trying to find a middle ground!!! Rolling Eyes
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote
For me, getting dewy takes moisturizer and liquid foundation, not cream. Now that I wear MMU sometimes playing with bronzer and blush and a very good moisturizer on my normal to dry skin does the trick, but somehow it's more smoke and mirrors, i.e. illusionary than with liquid foundation. I have some Armani of the latter when I can't be bothered with MMU. I have not mastered the latter technique so well and sometimes feel too nervous about the result and go for tried and true. What is everyone else's experience with getting the dewy look?
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:55 am      Reply with quote
I go for the dewy finish too.
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:56 am      Reply with quote
I would also like to hear others' tricks for getting the dewy glow, especially those with oily or combination skin. What do you use to look nicely dewy in the morning and not turn greasy/shiny by afternoon?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:52 am      Reply with quote
i also love the dewy look...but the dewy/glowy look can look very overdone once one hits a certain age. it's better to try to achieve the look naturally (lots of water so the skin looks very hydrated) than try to achieve it with makeup.

the easiest way for me is to use a "luminous blush" or to go very lightly over the skin with an illuminating powder in certain areas where the sun would naturally hit the face. Also, i use Alima which, after it sets on the skin starts to give a slightly dewy look (at least on my slightly oily skin).
k! (orangewasabi)
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I love the dewy look but it really is only possible for me as long as I keep the wrinkles at bay.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
I love the dewy look that I saw on girls on the street too. I can never really achieve that. Their face is glowing but not shiny or greasy. It's just a flawless healthy looking glow. I find it almost impossible to achieve that with MMU if u have dry flaky skin.

Any MMU out there suitable for combination skin that gives a nice dewy finish? And most importantly, keep it that way throughout the day without having a greasy mess at the end of the day.
k! (orangewasabi)
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have combo skin, leaning to oily and have just done a review of a pile of MMU to find a dewy that works for me.

I have settled on EDM, with BfM Tequila Sunrise and Cosmopolitan Illuminating Finishing Powders
chickenlittle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
i want to do dewy too!

I wonder if the best way is a liquid foundation, with cream/gel blush on top, maybe a light dusting of a shimmery highlighter powder on top?

Problem is, I always end up having to use loose powder to take the shine off... Crying or Very sad
ch3r
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
chickenlittle wrote:
i want to do dewy too!

I wonder if the best way is a liquid foundation, with cream/gel blush on top, maybe a light dusting of a shimmery highlighter powder on top?

Problem is, I always end up having to use loose powder to take the shine off... Crying or Very sad

I use Alima mineral makeup foundation, as a powder. So foundation doesn't necessarily need to be liquid to get that dewy look. It really just depends on the foundation itself. Also, I generally find that cream/gel blushes give more of a matte look.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Oh I disagree. I think the the cream blushes work well and are not matte. Of course, it probably depends on skin type and brand. I did try Lumiere and UGloGirl mmu and thought the finish was glowy but I prefer liquids. I'm a dinosaur I guess in that regards.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
BluesHeart wrote:
Oh I disagree. I think the the cream blushes work well and are not matte. Of course, it probably depends on skin type and brand. I did try Lumiere and UGloGirl mmu and thought the finish was glowy but I prefer liquids. I'm a dinosaur I guess in that regards.

yes. cream blushes can give a slightly dewy look, but maybe not dewy enough for my liking, i suppose. Also have you tried mixing the MMU with water or moisturizer? At first, I though I only liked liquid as well, but then i started mixing it with water so to give myself the "illusion" that i was really using a liquid. lol. after a while, i just started applying it as a powder. I wouldn't do it any other way now.
chickenlittle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
my real problem with MMU is that is goes on fine, but once I sweat in it, it looks very cakey and shows up lines/makes my skin look rough, which it's not!

Maybe I'll try again in the future with other brands, for now I'm happy with Dior liquid foundation, which although is full of chemicals, looks great and I only use it about once a week ...

I'm thinking of trying different foundations to get an even more dewy look. Maybe Prescriptives ...
And I want to get Tarte cheek stain - if only I can find an on-line retailer to send to UK!
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
chickenlittle wrote:
my real problem with MMU is that is goes on fine, but once I sweat in it, it looks very cakey and shows up lines/makes my skin look rough, which it's not!

Maybe I'll try again in the future with other brands, for now I'm happy with Dior liquid foundation, which although is full of chemicals, looks great and I only use it about once a week ...

I'm thinking of trying different foundations to get an even more dewy look. Maybe Prescriptives ...
And I want to get Tarte cheek stain - if only I can find an on-line retailer to send to UK!

I wore several of the prescriptives foundations. Right now I'm using Chanel. Like it but always on the look out for something else. There was one that Casper's Mum recommended, I cannot remember the name but I believe it was a brand made in Canada. Sometimes I think the best way to get that dewey look is actually in the preparation. I'm wanting to try the ARmani foundations, I've heard good things about them.I also used Clinique's black honey cheek gel. I liked it better than the Benetint.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer a dewy look probably b/c my skin is oily. In every picture my face is shiney Confused

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I'm oily and this is the combo that really works for me:

1) St Tropaz tanner (I love this and it makes my skin look so good even without makeup)

2) Philosophy Supernatural poreless SPF 15 (this helps hide imperfections AND gives some sun protection).

3) Light dusting of my Jane iredale MMU

4) Bronzer for blush (and I like to use my Nars Orgasm just on the apples over the bronze for a pop of color). I use just a bit to give a little color. It looks really pretty. (I learned the two color tip from Bobbi brown..love that woman!)

5) Clinque illuminator: Just light dab on cheek bone near both eyes, lite bit above outer curve of each eye brow (and I put just a bit on the nose bone NOT all the way to the tip...just on the bone and it makes my nose look a bit thinner).

6) Then mascara, brows, and clear lipgloss/balm.

It may look like a lot, but it is really simple and fast and lasts me all day. The St Tropaz is the only 'hard' part (remembering to do it at night! Very Happy I do it about twice a week to keep color on my face). With the bronzer I don't feel the need to pile on makeup to cover up anything and end up using less - so it is a win win for me.

I've found my skin looks healthier this way and I do look younger.

This is just how I do it. I'd love to hear what others do to achieve this look.

TTFN

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
this is turning into a great thread! Very Happy

The Dior I use is Forever, the new one - I really like the texture, it gives a smooth finish and has a lot of staying power (once survived 24 hours and lots of sweaty dancing!). But the colour's not quite right for me - i got the most golden shade, but it's a little grey-looking (just a little). That's why I want to try Prescriptives or maybe Bobbi Brown foundation, for their more golden shades.

I WISH i could find the right colour self tanner. I want that golden yellow creamy look that models have. My skin is naturally fair/golden, but I want a fake tan that enhances that and doesn't go too brown/bovril-coloured.
St Tropez is pretty good, but not perfect for me ... I used the body one on my face (lotion), maybe I should try a different formulation?

Armani foundations I have tried and liked, though I didn't get that excited about them.

I might try the Clinique cheek gels, thanks!

Deanne, like the idea of a pore mininmiser - i guess that could give the perfect look and minimise imperfections the same way powder would. I'd like to find a chemical/silicone free one, though that's probably not possible.

Has anyone here tried Ferox pulp? It's on my wish list ... from what I've heard it could be good for giving a moist plump look to the skin prior to make up.
k! (orangewasabi)
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
For those of you who find that MMU makes your skin look too cakey, beyond using a little less, I find it helps to spritz with a moisturizing or astringent hyrosol a couple times a day -- freshens up the MMU and keeps it dewy looking.

I have been using a old Cargo cream blush for ages (on top of MMU) and that does seem to help the look.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |