Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Care and Preventative Measures in your 20's
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:27 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that Im a newbie and Im really interested in taking care of my skin AND preventing wrinkles and such now, instead of treating them after they've already appeared.I know that sunscreen is top on the list, but Im completely lost as to what I should be doing daily/weekly to keep my skin healthy, tight, smooth and glowing. Surprised I guess I need to start a daily routine but I was hoping you guys could help me with that. As of now I dont do anything! (Shocking, I know.) So please help!
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:10 am      Reply with quote
sunscreen is THE most important thing but finding the right one that isnt filled with ingredients that will irritate your skin may be a bit of a problem. I use skin Bio day cover And love DDF organic sun screen...both are like nice moisturizes and have skin loving ingredients (the skin bio has copper) and the DDF green tea etc...the I do believ not to over strip your skin with harsh cleansers ...gentle exfoliation is really important too...you dont need to pay a fortune for creams at your age...exfoliate moisturise and protect.....
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:11 am      Reply with quote
Don't forget using some sort of anti-oxidant cream or serum too - it's a great preventative measure against skin damage due to environmental factors!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:07 am      Reply with quote
I would say an antioxidant serum/cream (there are so many, but vitamin c serums seem to be the most popular), a good moisturizer and a good eye cream for your skin type and a good sunscreen would be good to start with. Gentle exfoliation will also be beneficial. Personally, I love Vivier's vitamin c serums, Avene Emulsion SPF 50, Babor Sensational Eyes Eye Cream, sweet almond oil as a moisturizer and I gently exfoliate with a muslin cloth every evening. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you. (especially for the naming of the specific products andaman Very Happy ) How important do you think getting facials is at this age? I had one done about 3 months ago as a birthday present, and of course the esthetician made it seem like I should go back regularly. I plan on keeping a daily routine but is getting facials the kind of thing one should consider doing on a semi-regular basis?
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
angelwings1226 wrote:
Thank you. (especially for the naming of the specific products andaman Very Happy ) How important do you think getting facials is at this age? I had one done about 3 months ago as a birthday present, and of course the esthetician made it seem like I should go back regularly. I plan on keeping a daily routine but is getting facials the kind of thing one should consider doing on a semi-regular basis?

Unfortunately, I don't think I can be of any help regarding facials. My skin is way too sensitive and every time I had a facial, my skin would turn haywire....irritated, flared up with rashes, etc. However, I don't believe getting facials is necessary as long as your daily skin maintenance is efficient. I think it's nice if you can afford to do it on a regular basis, but personally, I'd rather invest in good daily and weekly skincare products first. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
I'm with andaman_gypsy on this one -- I'm in my 20s and I've been a skincare junkie for ages, but I've only had a couple facials in my life and I hated them all. I'm a member of the sensitive camp, though my sensitivity comes and goes in bursts -- but even when I was in a "hearty" skin phase, so to speak, my skin freaked out at facials. And the only reason I really like to go is for extractions (i.e. squeezing the gunk from your pores), but honestly, when I've gotten them done there really wasn't any noticeable difference at all, so I've thrown in the facial towel. My eyebrow gal also does facials and she ALWAYS pressures me to come in for an organic facial from her, and someday I may cave -- but probably not, because I know I probably won't like it, and I hate the thought of having to explain that at future appointments, etc.

Anyway, I'm getting away from my original point, which is that it really depends on your skin type. If you enjoyed the facial you got, and you felt like it made your skin feel happy and look measurably better, then go for it! But if you're feeling so-so about it, I personally recommend saving your money and putting it towards better high-quality skincare products.

Good luck either way, and feel free to bug us if you have more questions -- there are tons of gals on EDS who are in the same boat as you, skincare-wise (myself included) and we're all happy to share tips!

--ginnielizz

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks girls. My facial was okay, but I wasnt crazy about it, so I think Im just going to go out and try and find some higher quality skin care products to work with daily. Do you guys do any masks on a weekly or so basis? I was thinking of getting my daily stuff down pat and then maybe incorporating a mask treatment in every so often.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
I use serum that full of antioxidant. I usually read the ingredient list before buy skincare.
Ziggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:50 am      Reply with quote
angelwings1226 wrote:
Do you guys do any masks on a weekly or so basis?

I do biweekly peels at home. Right now, glycolic peels (20-30%). I will alternate with pumpkin peels when I get that too. My skin really loves emu after peels.

I want to get a vit C serum and perhaps some mild CPs (GHK ones). But I guess it's key to go slow and find out what works product by product.

Norwegian, 28, brunette, medium/pale skintone, green eyes. Not sensitive skin, bit dry in winter, trying to figure out preventative skincare. Happy with: retin-a cream, emu, LRP Anthelios ss, Careprost. Stopped with CPs. Curious about: Bioderma ss, Renova, gadgets.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:56 am      Reply with quote
angelwings1226 wrote:
Thanks girls. My facial was okay, but I wasnt crazy about it, so I think Im just going to go out and try and find some higher quality skin care products to work with daily. Do you guys do any masks on a weekly or so basis? I was thinking of getting my daily stuff down pat and then maybe incorporating a mask treatment in every so often.

Hi Angelwings, when I was in my twenties and like you now just starting to get serious about skincare, I loved my facials Smile Although they weren't that regular I looked forward to them...I loved the ambiance, how you could just totally bliss out for an hour to calming rainforest music, be totally pampered. And they make you feel a million dollars. Very Happy I think getting the right facial for your skin type is important though, as there's no point in paying that much money and feel that it was just mediocre. A good spa has to hold professional cosmeceutical products.
I agree with Ginnieliz that it's better to invest in quality skincare you can maintain at home. That way you learn more about how your skin behaves, and reacts and establish what's right for you in your own time. Facials can be a waste of money as you're encouraged to buy products to use at home (on top of the facial) and if they are products you've not had a chance to get used to, they might not be suitable, and that's a waste. Mad New products need to be given time (at least up to a month) to work for you to visibily feel and see results as everyone's skin 'blueprint' is different.

I only get facials seasonally.... at the start of winter, autumn or summer. It's usually a deep cleansing one,(no extractions for me thanks!) with a glyco acid peel and moisturising mask. I have combo to dry skin, oily t-zone.

Right now I have the Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Gel Mask in the fridge. It's summer here in Australia and it's great for hydration.

Hope you get lots of ideas and tips from the ladies on this forum like I have ! Smile
cindy67
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Good sunblock and not to overtan would be my tip. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:56 am      Reply with quote
angelwings1226 wrote:

Yes, definitely invest in high quality skincare products. I've tried so many products and have found only a handful that actually suit my skin. Remember, high quality products don't necessarily have to be expensive, but unfortunately, they often are. My best buy ever is Weleda Wild Rose Intensive Facial Oil. It's inexpensive and it works wonder on my skin.

I try to use masks and exfoliate my skin weekly, but I often get too lazy and just skip them. It's ok for me as I exfoliate everyday using a muslin cloth when I wash my face in the evening anyway. As for masks, I love Valmont Nature Moisturizing with a mask (best moisturizing mask I've found to date).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
The proper removal of sunscreen (SS) is also something that is often overlooked. a lot of SS contain waterproof ingredients that don't wash off with regular cleansers.

i strongly advocate using a cleansing oil/cleansing cream (I like the Garden of Wisdom cleansing oil as well as DHC's) to remove as much SS from the skin as possible, so that any creams/serums you apply after cleansing can be adequately absorbed by the skin.

improper SS removal is another reason why many break out from using SS and blame the SS for their breakouts.

I would also suggest starting off with a vitamin C serum (i recommend cellular skin rx, EDS has this), and a good moisturizer as well as eye cream (Osea is an awesome, very active natural line and their trial kits are excellent).

i am glad you're taking a serious step towards skin care (i have been doing so since i was 19 and am so thankful to my mom for encouraging me), and you are, right, prevention is always much easier than correction. good luck!

Kris

p.s. i actually love facials, and used to get one every month but i can't afford them anymore since becoming such a skin product junkie.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
iv never had a facial...........to tell the truth im quite unsure whether i should go for a facial or not. Also i have heard if you go once you have to keep going regularly for your skin to look nice which is not something i want to do. but from reading there isnt much more xtra benefits you get from getting a facial compared to having a good skincare routine
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kris. Smile Im glad you pointed this out as I have combination skin with an oily T-zone and would have probably had trouble with breakouts if you had not enlightened me. Very Happy
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Angel,

I'm also in my early 20s...the only facial I had was also deep cleaning with no extractions...I liked the steaming and the mask they use..the whole process really hydrated my skin, but I realize I can do all of that at home myself!

After reading so much on this forum, I started using a vitamin c product and added an enzyme peel for exfoliating. To keep away the wrinkles, I'm using Kate Somerville's daily nourish moisturizer that has matryxl. The SR told me this one was for those who are being introduced to an anti-aging routine.

I used retin-a that my derm perscribed for the occasional hormonal break outs, but I try not to use that too much. Best thing I did and also the first thing was I did a LOT of research on sunscreens and settled with Sofina because it had a high spf, okay PPD and it was easily removed with soap and water.

If there's nothing you're concerned about right now, I'd recommend you do some research on a good sunscreen too, an antioxidant and a mild exfoliant.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
simran--i definitely see benefits of having a facial. when i used to go, it was for extractions, just minor ones such as tiny cysts which are hard for me to remove myself without scarring. since i have become more educated regarding skin care, i don't feel the need to go as often. and i don't think one has to keep going in order to maintain healthy looking skin. it's just very addicting since you get pampered!

angelwings--i forgot to mention that if your skin is acne proned, you may want to do a second cleansing with a regular cleanser (choose one with a gentle surfactant, stay away from SLS and SLES, look for decyl glucoside or cocobetaine or plantapon). if you have any other questions, please let us know and you're welcome, of course Smile

Kris

Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |