Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Dry itchy scalp - what causes it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know what causes the scalp to be so dry and itchy?

Its driving me INSANE Crying or Very sad As soon as i woke up this morning it started.

Ive had this problem on and off for yrs. At first i thought i was sensitive to sulphates but ive tried more natural sulphate free shampoo's without them making a difference.

Has anyone got any product recs they've has success with? Or just any advice?

Thanks Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:19 am      Reply with quote
could be a sign you are overstripping the skin on your scalp....how often do you wash your hair? Camellia oil or coconut oil massaged into your scalp at night on the day before you wash is nice ...do you use hair colour? you may be allergic ...try henna ... .. I have recently discovered cassia or 'neutral' henna which is fabulous for the scalp
http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/cassiaobovata.html
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

I wash every second day because my hair gets oily. I have tried the 'wash hair less and oil control will normalise more' method but it did not make a difference. I just ended up being greasy all the time. Not a good look Confused

I dont colour my hair.

I might try the oils you suggest, thanks Smile

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:05 am      Reply with quote
Carolb69, these ones had some helpful suggestions on itchy scalps...

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22776&highlight=itchy+scalp

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=21763&highlight=itchy+scalp

Also, from one of the DIY threads...

skincareaddicted wrote:

i do the rinse a few times a month. it keeps my scalp itch free and gets rid of any scalp problems.

FYI - the reason ACV helps keep the itchy scalp at bay is because a lot of times that itching is caused by a sort of yeast infection and the ACV kills the yeasty bacteria. [/quote]

carekate wrote:
moosette wrote:

Here’s some info I posted about this subject a while back in a different thread:

I've had a really bad scalp problem for some time now,its very itchy and irritated, I have scab like crusts and major flaking, it is so gross! Please help, if anyone has had something similiar, let me know what you have done to help control this! I can't stand it anymore, and now that I'm pregnant it seems to be worse than ever!

I posted this info in another thread where someone was begging for scalp relief....

carekate wrote:

Here's some homemade hints for dandruff and itchy/flaky scalp which I cut & pasted from the ~~~ DIY Skincare Recipes ~~~ thread:

carekate wrote:

Homemade Hints for Hair Care:

Itchy/flaky scalp: Add 25 drops of 100% pure Tea Tree Oil and 15 drops of Peppermint essential oil and 5 drops of Rosemary essential oil to a bottle of your fave shampoo and shake well to make a homemade version of Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Special Shampoo at a fraction of the cost. You can also add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, which helps kill the yeast that causes some forms of dandruff.

Prevent Oily Hair and Scalp: Add 30 drops of Clary Sage oil to your fave bottle of shampoo and/or conditioner to help control the production of sebum (oil), and to help fight dandruff.

Promote Hair Growth: Add 30 drops of Rosemary essential oil to your fave bottle of shampoo and/or conditioner to help stimulate the scalp, promote hair growth and/or help fight dandruff or seborrhea.

What Moosette is describing sounds suspiciously like a yeast infection (some forms of dandruff are actually caused by yeast). If you don’t try any of the other suggestions above, I really recommend that you try using the apple cider vinegar. You can either mix a tablespoon in with your shampoo and/or conditioner or you can use pour an ACV rinse over your scalp after shampooing/conditioning (do not rinse it out!). Do this for a couple of days and see if it doesn’t help relieve the itchy crusting on your scalp. The best part about this homemade remedy is that it’s completely safe for both baby and you!

*Please* give this a try: I am 99.99% sure that the ACV will relieve – if not completely resolve – your crusty scalp issues within a couple days use! And I’d be willing to bet that you probably have a bottle of ACV sitting in your cupboard right this minute! And, if not, send hubby out to the grocery store straight away – tell him he can find a bottle of ACV in the aisle where they keep the condiments and salad dressings.

True story: I used to get the same sort of scalp symptoms that you described above if I went more than a day or two without shampooing my hair. It was really disgusting because when I’d come down with one of my marathon migraine attacks that knocked me out of commission for a few days, the last thing I felt like doing was washing my hair. When I finally felt better, I would have to shampoo 2-3 times using Neutrogena T-gel shampoo and scrub really hard against my scalp with the pads of my fingers just to remove those crusty patches.

It finally dawned on me a couple of weeks ago, when I had finally got back on my feet following an almost 2-week cluster migraine episode during which time I was only well enough to shampoo my hair once during that time, that I no longer get the crusty-itchies if I don’t shampoo every single day and I realized that the only explanation for this was the fact that I’ve been adding a couple of tablespoons of ACV to my (full) bottle of shampoo. I was including the ACV in my shampoo to help safeguard my color-treated hair, but I honestly think it give me the added benefit of canceling out the yeast, or whatever it was, that was causing those horrible scaly patches on my scalp.

For the record, ACV also has other benefits for hair, other than killing the yeast fungus (is it a fungus, or a bacteria?). It helps to maintain color-treated hair so there is less fadeage. It helps clarify to remove buildup from excess product usage and it helps impart an incredibly beautiful shine! In fact, if I ever had to give one hair-care hint to everyone it would be the add-a-tablespoon-of-ACV-to-your-shampoo-bottle trick because it will benefit every hair type or hair woe!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=160308&highlight=itchy+scalp#160308
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much! Will have a read of those threads.

I think i have some apple cider vinegar too Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:30 am      Reply with quote
I recommend the ACV, too. Also, I've been using John Masters 2-in-1 zinc shampoo and it's been helping with the itchiness.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:39 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
Hi

I wash every second day because my hair gets oily. I have tried the 'wash hair less and oil control will normalise more' method but it did not make a difference. I just ended up being greasy all the time. Not a good look Confused

I dont colour my hair.

I might try the oils you suggest, thanks Smile

do you give it a good brushing every night? that stimulates circulation removes buildup loosens flakes.....then the night before you wash massage (or brush in) some of those oils (coconut or camillia )do the ACV thing and I bet before you know it your hair and scalp will be fab!
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
^^Not really as i have wavy hair - brushing it when its dry turns it frizzy. Lately ive been brushing my scalp right before my shower though.

I wash my hair at night so cant really put oils in my hair in the daytime.

I did try the vinegar rinse last night. I was still a little itchy this morning but not as bad.

For some reason the day i wash the itchiness subsides, its the next day that it starts usually Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
I have found that washing my hair more frequently keeps the itchies at bay.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:00 am      Reply with quote
can you change your routine and wash in the morning? that way you can leave oil (with some drops of essential oils too) in your hair and scalp...I have really curly hair but brush before bed and/or before washing.....I also should say I wash with organic shampoo sulphate free..... but if you cant find a similar prodect you should opt for high quality hairdresser brands and not stuff from the supermarket. All the cheaper stuff is made from harsher and cheaper ingredients...there are a lot of professional brands that deal with sensitive itchy scalps..they are much more expensive ..... but at least till you get yourself sorted into a routine of brushing ,oils and finding organic shapmoos etc.....
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:53 am      Reply with quote
ACV is great, I have been using it with great results. Scalp feels good, flaky dandruff disappeared, I can wash hair less frequently. Very Happy Very Happy I use undiluted ACV in a small spray bottle. Right after I wash my hair I spray ACV on dump scalp at the roots. I use just a tiny amount, less then 1/4 oz on entire scalp. Dry hair do not smell, just do not get your hair wet in the rain.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:45 am      Reply with quote
i could occasionally wash in the am so can try the oils. I use salon products, hate supermarket shampoo.

I did try Redken's Scalp Benefits shampoo but it didnt seem to do much. Ive been using a sulphate free one the past week. I just find i get greasy again so quickly with it Sad

5% products discount

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:23 am      Reply with quote
I had very sensitve scalp from the time I had a memory.
From the childhood and youthhood when I had oily scalp all year round, to the adulthood my scalp became very dry in winters, I continued suffering dandruff.
And like you, my scalp itched very much when I woke up in the morning if the weather changed suddenly.

About two years ago, I bought some books teaching how to choose skin-care products.
I decided to try shampoos that include "gentle surfactants".
Some natural/organic brands or brands designed for sensitve scalps provide such products.
Not all brands claiming organic/natural/gentle satisify my standard, so I read ingredient tables carefully.

I prefer gentle surfactants such as *** betain, ***glutamate, *** glucoside, and etc.

And I practiced to message my scalp more gently when washing my hair following the advice of a skindoctor.

Also, I avoid to use conditioners that are too "heavy".

If the scalp itches in the morning, I find that washing the hair immediately using warm water helps release the symptom quickly. However, this occurs rarely these years.

My scalp has recoverd, totally beyond my expectation.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:22 am      Reply with quote
rinsing with cold water does also help keep your scalp oil free longer ...I find shampooing in the morning keeps my hair fresher longer....
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:22 am      Reply with quote
chinlee, I think we were born with identical scalps. Could you please share with me the products that have helped you recover? Thanks!
chinee
5% products discount

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:26 am      Reply with quote
chimera wrote:

chinlee, I think we were born with identical scalps. Could you please share with me the products that have helped you recover? Thanks!

chimera,

There are many factors, such as pressure, body constitution, and health conditions.
Among these fators, "seborrheic dermatitis" is most common. When the fall comes, more people get seborrheic dermatitis. (you can search for more information)
Some researches also show lack of calcium or essential fatty acids may be a factor.

My point is that simply choosing gentle shampoos can make my scalp feel nice. But I know my scalp is still sensitive!

I find that I have better not to use shampoos containing SLES. This is according to my experience. I find it leads to dandruff. I have to choose shampoos including gentle surfactants.

I don't stick to any brand because I like to try new brands. However, what I use are often natural/organic brands because it is easier to find gentle surfactants in them. I have used Logona, Lavera Baby Almond Shampoo, Dr. Hauschka, Avalon Clarifying Lemon Shampoo and Awapuhi Mango Moisturizing Shampoo, Aubrey-organics, fancl(Japanese brand), Burt's Bees.
I guess the reasons why they work for me are not only they contanin gentle surfactants but also they contain botanical extracts or essential oils that have soothing, cleansing or oil-controlling effect.

The shampoos I listed above may not suit you. But you still choose other shampoos containning gentle surfactants.

Also, I find there are some conditioners that may make my scalp itchy or oily. I use condiitoners by Simply organics and Burt's Bees recently.

There are always at least two opened shampoos in my bathroom for my selection at any time such that I can use different brands alternatively and make a better choise according to my scalp condition.

Additionally, I find that "house dust mites" may casue my scalp, my eyes, my ears itchy. So, keeping the house, bedding and pillow clean is also important.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:08 am      Reply with quote
Well i bought some Neutrogena T Gel a couple of days back and WOW the relief its bought to my scalp Very Happy

I havent itched for 2 days which is a miracle for me....

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:07 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, chinee, for such a thorough response!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Heres another tip Carol. Scrub your scalp really well, so wet hair, shampoo, scrub all over with fingertips not your nails, rinse and repeat. Hope the Neutrogena works good for you!
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
what sort of temperature do you use when washing your hair? My scalp does a lot better when I wash it with warmish (never hot) water. Hubby gets dry scalp all the time and I'm pretty sure it's linked to hot water.. He won't believe me but it always gets better when we visit Thailand ..and he has no choice but to use less hot water.

My fave shampoo is phytolactum.. I tried Jason's aloe shampoo the other day..it was really nice and soft..but my hair needed washing again the next day. I like REN shampoos but they don't foam up enough for me. So phytolactum it still is.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |