Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

25yr old pale girl w/ skin cancer (kind of graphic pic)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
It's been forever since I have visited! But I still lurk every once and awhile; I've just been busy (translated: I got a job and had a few escapades) Smile

Anywho, I wanted to relay my story real quick:

I was getting those ppx treatments and the laser had suction on it so zits under the skin would turn purple-ish and look kind of funny. So, I had this spot on the top of my forehead that I thought was one such zit. However, it kept scabbing and re-scabbing. I tried to tell myself that I was probably reopening the wound while I was drying my bangs.

After months and months of trying to make up an excuse why this thing on my head (about the size of my small pinky nail) wasn't going away I broke down and went and had it biopsied. Sure enough it was cancer and lucky it was basal cell. I had the Mohs surgery to remove it all and it ended up being about the size of a quarter (aka it had been brewing for quite a long time). It's just weird to for me to say or think "I had skin cancer". Yet, what is even weirder is that my surgeon said that he had done surgery on a 19 year old girl the week before who had melanoma! Even stranger, he said it didn't look like your typical melanoma.

This is three days after surgery (one more scar to battle Smile):

I've changed my mind about using Environ skincare. I'm trying it again since an Environ clinic has opened up in my area and I can get more guidance. After reading more of their literature, it just seem like they have the most common sense, no-frills, and high quality approach to skin cancer and aging prevention. Plus, after using Remergent, they seem affordable Cool

Hope everyone is well and getting any strange spots on their body checked out! I miss this place!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome back, Sundew! It's good to see you! As a 26 year old pale girl, I definitely found your story to be unsettling! If you don't mind sharing, can you tell us what kind of sunscreen you use on your face and how long you've been using it? Thank you for sharing and posting a picture. I'm just glad you got it removed and you are OK!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for sharing your story with everyone, and welcome back.

God bless you!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Welcome back, Sundew! It's good to see you! As a 26 year old pale girl, I definitely found your story to be unsettling! If you don't mind sharing, can you tell us what kind of sunscreen you use on your face and how long you've been using it? Thank you for sharing and posting a picture. I'm just glad you got it removed and you are OK!

Hi Liz!!
I can see the tomatoes be chucked already but I kind of deserve it Smile. *sheepishly*: I haven't been using a sunscreen. I've been interested is in starting but the ss topic is so confusing. I was trying the 'avoid the sun technique'. Which, I guess, obviously wasn't good enough, specially when living in a region I don't think my pale skin was meant to live in.
Now I'm using Environ's RAD spf16 and I like it so far.

Two interesting side notes:
One thing that prompted me to get this checked out was an article on the large amount of skin cancer on womens left side of their face. They think this might have to do with sun exposure while driving. Of course, as you can see, my spot was on the left side.
Second: I've had had hair covering most of my forehead, specially that spot, for at least 4 years. Guess hair isn't a good sunblocker!

ETA: Thanks Kassy Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
I am sorry for your experience but I am glad that you took prompt action to stop things from getting more serious. Wish you a speedy recovery.
lilredhead
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, my I guess we all have to take this as a lesson to block up!! Hope all is well with you!
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Best of luck and speedy recovery.

Also, in a while that scar will be barely noticeable, if that worries you.

I also think that SPF 25/30 is a minimum, and also whatever sunscreen you choose it has to have not just UVB (SPF rating covers this), but also UVA protection

Good luck and best of health,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
Sundew, your story is very touching. Thank you for sharing it with us and caring about us to give us a warning and letting us know what signs to look for. I am glad that you found it quickly and dealt with it before it got out of control. You're right about the left side of the face getting more sun exposure, and has more problems. My left cheek got more spots than my right from driving in the sun without using SS in my early years. Yikes, I thought my hair would help to protect my face. Now I have to be more vigilant about that SS on the face.

Oh yeah, for a great sun protection, I think Sunkiller SPF 50+ with PA+++ is awesome. I use the clear water one, which is like water. It feels light and not greasy. I asked my sis to buy it for me in Thailand and sent it over with someone who was coming back to LA after a visit to Bangkok, but you can also order from either ebay (a HK seller) or Bobodave (also in HK). The only downside from ordering from HK is if you're not home, you'll get a slip to pick up your package at the USPS office, which could be a pain since I'm never home when they try to deliver my package. The cost is only $12 or so with shipping.
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
Congrats on having it removed!))And the scar is not a big deal,compared to the trade off especially.This kinda freaked me out-aka after I finish typing this I am checking every single spot on my body Laughing
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing your story. I didn't realise the amount of sun you could get on your face while driving. I will wear sunscreen in the car from now on!
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing your story! I have never worn sunscreen because I am dark complected and have never sunburned nor have I laid out in the sun but your story about driving and sun exposure is scary. I will start wearing sunscreen pronto! I am glad you are O.K. and I wish you good health!
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:55 am      Reply with quote
thank you for sharing your story..........i was just thinking about putting off sunscreen considering the amount of chemicals that are in SS........but this has made me rethink my decision so rather than give up altogether i think i will go for mineral based SS or sunblocks rather than chemical based SS which im thinking cant be that good for you long term as it gets asborbed into the body aye

wish you good health and its good to hear you are ok

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:13 am      Reply with quote
Sundew, thank you for sharing and for warning all us! Wishing you speedy recovery and always take care of yourself!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing your story Sundew and I hope you continue to recover quickly. This is scary and a bit of a wakeup call. I'm a pale girl too and although I wear sunscreen sometimes I'm not as diligent about it as I should be. I really appreciate your story. Welcome back to the forum. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:43 am      Reply with quote
So glad you took care of it - and speedy recovery!!! and wear that sunscreen!!! Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sundew.

Thanks for sharing your story with us!

Hope you are fine!

Regards!
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the reminder to check weird spots on our body. I have a weird bump on the back of my calf that's been there about a year that i should get checked. I have a doc appt. in two weeks so I'll have her look at it then.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so glad you got it taken out. Hugs to you!
blesstd
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sundew,
I'm new here but just wanted to thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad to hear things worked out well for you.
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Congratulations Sundew on having it removed and I hope you are healing well!

I just wanted to say thank you for posting your story as I have been very reckless in the past-not protecting my skin in the sun. Your story serves as a wake-up call. I should be using a product with SPF!

Thank you and Take Care!
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sundew! Glad you got that taken care of and hope your scar heals well.

I'm so glad you posted this. I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but want to throw my experience in too, hoping it might encourage others to use that sunscreen!

I had a brown spot above my ankle, also about the size of a small f-nail, flat, smooth, but became itchy. Showed it to my Derm, who said it looked harmless, but biopsied it anyway, and it she was amazed it came back BCC.

She removed it, (horrible experience) my leg has a 2 in. brownish nasty dent/scar in it now. If I knew what it entailed I would've had a PS remove it. I imagine it came from suntanning, no sunscreen, etc. in past years. I still hate wearing anything other than pants it's so ugly.

I also have a full body check every year now.

BTW, I'm br/eyes/skin/hair.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Sundew,welcome back.
What an eye opener...thank you.

My face is an example of left side damage,although no cancer. Hope you heal quickly.

Linda
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Ditto on what everyone else has said Very Happy This is a "good" story to pass on to our daughters.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sundew

Thank you for sharing your story. It's very interesting that you should get this melanoma at such a young age. Is there any history of it in your family? Did you have the spots on this area before you treated laser treatments? Can you recall ever having severe sunburn on this area when you were younger?

What does your derm think caused it?

As you can probably tell I'm very interested in this area of skincare!

Hope you're doing OK and thanks again for being kind enough to share.
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:
Hi Sundew

Thank you for sharing your story. It's very interesting that you should get this melanoma at such a young age. Is there any history of it in your family? Did you have the spots on this area before you treated laser treatments? Can you recall ever having severe sunburn on this area when you were younger?

What does your derm think caused it?

As you can probably tell I'm very interested in this area of skincare!

Hope you're doing OK and thanks again for being kind enough to share.

She had BASAL CELL, not Melanoma.

Most BC is likely caused by sun or UV exposure, and is showing up in younger and younger ages nowadays. Especially in fair skinned people. But BC can be very disfiguring if on the face (or anywhere really Crying or Very sad ) from the surgery to get rid of it.

Thank goodness it was NOT Melanoma.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |