Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hair Skin and Nails supplements
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Eyes_green
5% products discount

Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies,

many of us are taking supplements for Hair skin and nails. Let's share the brands, ingridients and tell our experiences!

I recently started Healthy Hair, Skin and Nails by Irwin Naturals, 2 a day. It has:

Serving size 1.
Vit C - 100mg
Biotin - 1300mcg
Zinc - 5mg
Copper - 0.5 mg
Manganese - 2.5 mg
Gotu Kola -90mg
Lystine - 40mg
Proline-40mg
Silica - 5.6mg
Bioperine complex - 6mg

My experience - I think hair is much more shinier, didn't notice more length - my hair is quite long anyway, so can't really tell. Skin - I think is better, but since I am on Retin-A, again, hard to tell.
Nails - never had a problem with them.

After reading that Biotin must be taking with other b-complex, I may buy additional b-complex and try.
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
EyesGreen, do you notice that your hair is thicker?

I am currently taking daily:

1 gram Vitamin C
5000 mcg Biotin
1 gram Vitamin E
4 grams MSM
1 gram Fish Oil
1 Multivitamin for Women from GNC which has a lot of other stuff I dont feel like typing Smile

I am going to be going to the store so that I can add flaxseed, borage oil and primrose oil to my regimen, since I read on the Skinbiology website that these aid in hair growth/thickness as well. (It was on a post that Dr. Pickart wrote.) I am mainly interested in thickness, as my hair is already shoulder length.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
I've been taking the B6-complex by Thorne and Biotin by Jarrow Formulas. I haven't noticed a difference in my hair but my nails are stronger.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:39 am      Reply with quote
Biotin is good for hair and nails but I thing for hair it just prevents it from falling out and not so much for growing fast.
Eyes_green
5% products discount

Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:21 am      Reply with quote
angelwings1226

I have not noticed thickness Sad I wish! Moreover, lately I noticed increase hair fall. May be it is due to something else, like weather, really hope it is not the vitamins.

Did you buy all your stuff separately? You definetely taking more than me - may be I should increase or change my ingridients. I was reluctant to take multi-vitamins along with HSN - afraid of "overdose".

Another prolem that I have - I can't take tablets, only capsles.
Eyes_green
5% products discount

Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:22 am      Reply with quote
Yen

How much Biotin are you taking?
LisaAnn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Fish oil supplements has done wonders for my nails. I have pretty thick curly hair so I really don't worry about any supplementation for that.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I take MSM and Vit. C daily. Perhaps it is my imagination but my skin seems firmer since taking these two supplements. For years I have taken a multi-vitamin daily.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Eyes_green wrote:
angelwings1226

I have not noticed thickness Sad I wish! Moreover, lately I noticed increase hair fall. May be it is due to something else, like weather, really hope it is not the vitamins.

Did you buy all your stuff separately? You definetely taking more than me - may be I should increase or change my ingridients. I was reluctant to take multi-vitamins along with HSN - afraid of "overdose".

I did buy all the stuff separately. In fact I was worried about taking too much as well, so I posted a topic about it and got some really helpful replies (as always with EDS!) Here is the link to the thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=26878

Also, if you have a lot of hair falling out, you might want to buy a product like Nioxin to cut back on that. I purchased it about a week ago and already notice that I have less hair falling out than before in the shower (They say it can take a while before you notice results, but lucky for me, mine were fairly quick) I also notice that my hair seems to be a bit thicker; could be the vitamin and Nioxin combo. I also make sure that I get enough protein throughout the day as well.

By the way, I dont like tablets either and managed to find all the vitamins I listed above in capsule form at GNC.
Eyes_green
5% products discount

Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
angelwings1226 wrote:
Eyes_green wrote:
angelwings1226

I did buy all the stuff separately. In fact I was worried about taking too much as well, so I posted a topic about it and got some really helpful replies (as always with EDS!) Here is the link to the thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=26878

Also, if you have a lot of hair falling out, you might want to buy a product like Nioxin to cut back on that. I purchased it about a week ago and already notice that I have less hair falling out than before in the shower (They say it can take a while before you notice results, but lucky for me, mine were fairly quick) I also notice that my hair seems to be a bit thicker; could be the vitamin and Nioxin combo. I also make sure that I get enough protein throughout the day as well.

By the way, I dont like tablets either and managed to find all the vitamins I listed above in capsule form at GNC.

Just came back from GNC - MSM 1000 ( I read that I need to start slow), 2500 mg of Biotin, 100mg of CoQ10, and Multivitamin...

How do you ladies keep up with intake? I can't push 5 capsules at one time, I wil probably take them gradually through out the day.
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
I take mine all at once in the morning with a big glass of milk, Smile but Im sure its ok to take them throughout the day. By the way, what benefits are there to taking CoQ10?
Eyes_green
5% products discount

Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
How effective is CoQ10 in skin care?

Wrinkles appear when skin loses its elasticity. This is due to decreased collagen production and collagen crosslinking. Everyday life, cell metabolism, exposure to sun and other environmental factors, toxins, cigarette smoke - all result in production of free radicals. Those overactive pesky molecules or atoms have odd electrons on their orbits and try to find a balance. They either give away the odd electron or find a pair for it, thus making another molecule unstable, turning it into another free radical.

While this process is natural and unavoidable as a part of metabolism, too many free radicals cause dangerous chain reactions that destroy cellular compounds and can damage DNA, proteins and lipids (fats). When it comes to skin aging, free radicals interfere with collagen production and cause premature aging.

Coenzyme Q10 has exceptional antioxidant properties. Studies show that it can effectively counteract free radical damage and provide significant protection against UVA-induced depletion of cell membrane. In other words, it will prevent damage to collagen and elastin production process and help you avoid wrinkles.

CoQ10 is so powerful, it is able to reduce cancer tumors and minimize stroke consequences that are due to suddenly increased levels of free radicals. So when applied topically, it can provide extra protection for your skin and produce a dramatic anti-wrinkle effect.(c)pioneerthining.com
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Eyes_green wrote:
Yen

How much Biotin are you taking?

I'm taking 5mg of biotin. The combination with the B6 complex was okayed by my Naturopathic Doctor.

Check out this link for more info on vitamin dosages.
http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/2461007.html#V

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Eyes_green wrote:
How effective is CoQ10 in skin care?

Wrinkles appear when skin loses its elasticity. This is due to decreased collagen production and collagen crosslinking. Everyday life, cell metabolism, exposure to sun and other environmental factors, toxins, cigarette smoke - all result in production of free radicals. Those overactive pesky molecules or atoms have odd electrons on their orbits and try to find a balance. They either give away the odd electron or find a pair for it, thus making another molecule unstable, turning it into another free radical.

While this process is natural and unavoidable as a part of metabolism, too many free radicals cause dangerous chain reactions that destroy cellular compounds and can damage DNA, proteins and lipids (fats). When it comes to skin aging, free radicals interfere with collagen production and cause premature aging.

Coenzyme Q10 has exceptional antioxidant properties. Studies show that it can effectively counteract free radical damage and provide significant protection against UVA-induced depletion of cell membrane. In other words, it will prevent damage to collagen and elastin production process and help you avoid wrinkles.

CoQ10 is so powerful, it is able to reduce cancer tumors and minimize stroke consequences that are due to suddenly increased levels of free radicals. So when applied topically, it can provide extra protection for your skin and produce a dramatic anti-wrinkle effect.(c)pioneerthining.com

Wow that sounds great! Thanks for the info!
Eyes_green
5% products discount

Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:08 am      Reply with quote
I got a terribe tension headache last night which continues this morning.... I wonder if all vitames that I took yesterday have anything to do with that..

As far as MSM - I only took 1000mg, not a lot. And Biotin - only 2500.
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
I am using Hair Force from Prairie Naturals
Contains:
Vitamins C, A, D3, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12
Pantothenic acid
Folic Acid
Biotin
Selenium
Zinc
Choline
Inosital
Iodine
Paba
L Cysteine
Organic Flaxseed oil/ Safflower oil
Unbleached Lecithin
A large gel capsule.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:03 am      Reply with quote
Eyes_green wrote:
I got a terribe tension headache last night which continues this morning.... I wonder if all vitames that I took yesterday have anything to do with that..

I doubt it, I take 3000mg of MSM daily without any problems.
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Eyes_green wrote:

Make sure you arent taking vitamins on an empty stomach. I take 4000mg of MSM a day and it has not affected me in this way, but then again everyone is different.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
angelwings1226 wrote:
Make sure you arent taking vitamins on an empty stomach.

I agree. Vitamins get absorbed better when they're taken with food, unless you're taking homeopathic remedies. Those work best when taken away from food.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Eyes_green wrote:

Hi Eyes_green - The tension headaches are most likely a detox symptom from the MSM. I know that 1 gram (1000 mg) may not seem like a lot, but if your body requires some form of detoxification MSM can easily kick-start a toxin release and this generally coincides with headaches or other detox symptoms. When I first began taking MSM I had horrible headaches during the first week. I also felt gassy and experienced various degrees of bloating. Apparently these are common detox symptoms of MSM and they do disappear within two weeks (give or take) once your body has purged those unwanted toxins.

Like yourself I also began with 1 gram of MSM but found that cutting back to 500 mg's during the first week helped my body adjust that much easier and also minimized the detox headaches greatly. Within two weeks I worked up to 1 gram and then continued to increase the dosage slowly over two more weeks until I reached my current intake of 5 grams a day.

Some people do not experience any detox symptoms and can easily ingest 4-5 grams of MSM right away (lucky them! Wink ). Others like myself had to work up to this level. See if halving your daily dose of MSM helps to alleviate the headaches. Eventually these unpleasant symptoms will disappear completely. Smile

As others have stated, some supplements are best taken before meals and others are better with meals (or away from them entirely). My own bottle of MSM powder indicates that I should take it before meals, which is exactly what I do. So check your bottles again just to make sure you're taking your supplements at the best time of day.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I mix my powder MSM with my protein shake after I come home from the gym. I never did get headaches and I started with 3000mg right away!
CleanSkin
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:54 am      Reply with quote
bugaboo wrote:
I mix my powder MSM with my protein shake after I come home from the gym. I never did get headaches and I started with 3000mg right away!

I guess everyone has different tolerance levels, because I remember getting headaches with lower dosages.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
i was reading one of the fitness magazine the other day..........and i happend to see one of the questions a reader had asked which they answer..the reader asked about skin care supplements and if they really neccessary and can there be any side effects......

anyway the answer they quoted some study and statistic.....basically it said people who take supplements tend to have a shorter lifespan then those that dont.....reason being because the body's natural defences for these are not as strong then those that dont overtime because the body starts relying on these supplments for the defences then you know producing them naturally.........i dont quite remeber the name of the magazine now cause i had read a number of different ones that day but i think it may have been the "Shape" magazine..

now this is quite interesting and did give me something to think about........and i thought yes these extra vitamins etc from the supplments are good for the body and skin...but i had started to rely on this supplments then also incorporating them from eating foods in my diet.........so from now im gona try and get my vitamins more from the foods i.e. fruits and veges and not rely on the supplments for these.....for example i am currently black current capsules and vitamin c capsules but i thought i could get these vitamins from the fruits i.e. kiwifruit, and blackcurrents!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
i was reading one of the fitness magazine the other day..........and i happend to see one of the questions a reader had asked which they answer..the reader asked about skin care supplements and if they really neccessary and can there be any side effects......

anyway the answer they quoted some study and statistic.....basically it said people who take supplements tend to have a shorter lifespan then those that dont.....reason being because the body's natural defences for these are not as strong then those that dont overtime because the body starts relying on these supplments for the defences then you know producing them naturally.........i dont quite remeber the name of the magazine now cause i had read a number of different ones that day but i think it may have been the "Shape" magazine..

now this is quite interesting and did give me something to think about........and i thought yes these extra vitamins etc from the supplments are good for the body and skin...but i had started to rely on this supplments then also incorporating them from eating foods in my diet.........so from now im gona try and get my vitamins more from the foods i.e. fruits and veges and not rely on the supplments for these.....for example i am currently black current capsules and vitamin c capsules but i thought i could get these vitamins from the fruits i.e. kiwifruit, and blackcurrents!!

Hmmmmm.....Interesting. I think that a person's lifespan depends on a lot of different factors, most important one being their mind set! I always say, if you think its going to be bad for you, it will, if you think it will help, it will. I appreciate you posting this, and I do think that getting vitamins from food is a good idea as well.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that getting vitamins and nutrients from your food is important--there are so many different chemical compounds in food that have yet to be specifically identified and evaluated and therefore that have no equivalent in supplement form.

Having said that, I do feel that supplements are an important adjunct to a good diet. Some nutrients can't be gotten in reasonable amounts in a practical diet. As for studies that are said to show that supplement takers die earlier than non-suppplement takers, you have to read the study carefully. Did the study regress out other health factors? Many people start taking supplements because they have serious health problems or are at high risk for them. Obviously people with serious health problems tend to die earlier than those that don't. So, if you don't control for that factor, the study isn't really telling you anything significant about supplements per se.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |