Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Best eye shadow palette for creating that smoky eye look?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:08 am      Reply with quote
I must be a glutton for punishment, or else I'm just a glutton Very Happy I currently have so many eye shadows and I'm looking for more.

I've seen some really cool smokey looks that don't make you look like a goth wannabe or like you've been in a bar fight - what are your recommendations for the best palette for several different smoky eyes? Preferably natural/botanical brands, but I'm willing to go the more conventional route if need be.

TIA!

Athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Not a natural/botanical brand, but I've got the MAC "Smoked Eyes" palette and it has some beautiful colors to make different combinations of smoky eyes with. There are lots of great reviews on it on makeup alley where people give recommendations on how to do different smoky eyes with this palette. It was a limited edition for 2006 but can still be gotten off of ebay which is where I got mine.

I also see that MAC a new smoky palette for 2007 that looks really nice as well.

Mally's line of smoky palettes come in a wide variety of colors including greens, browns, blues, taupes, plums, and grays. I've heard great things about these but haven't tried any myself. The taupe one in particular is supposed to make a more natural-looking smoky eye.

HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
mamawalnut wrote:
Not a natural/botanical brand, but I've got the MAC "Smoked Eyes" palette and it has some beautiful colors to make different combinations of smoky eyes with. There are lots of great reviews on it on makeup alley where people give recommendations on how to do different smoky eyes with this palette. It was a limited edition for 2006 but can still be gotten off of ebay which is where I got mine.

I also see that MAC a new smoky palette for 2007 that looks really nice as well.

Mally's line of smoky palettes come in a wide variety of colors including greens, browns, blues, taupes, plums, and grays. I've heard great things about these but haven't tried any myself. The taupe one in particular is supposed to make a more natural-looking smoky eye.

HTH!
I have these MAC ones both in the browns palette and the greys. I use the brown one the most using the lighter colours then just add the dark browns for evening. These blend lovely and last a longtime.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi athena

Dont have any recommendations, as my makeup skills are non-existent! But this blog might help...I just recently discovered it and the blogger named Karen is so pretty! She reviews makeup and skincare products (mainly makeup especially MAC), she teaches you how to apply them and loads pics of the finished results.

http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
I started looking at the MAC 2007 smokey eye palette and it might be closer to what you're looking for than the 2006 version. It looks like it would make a lighter, not quite so dramatic smokey eye. I liked it so much I ordered one for myself! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your replies - I started looking for eyeshadow palettes and the colors in MAC look truly lovely, I'm really lemming the Royal Assets Warm and Smokey Eyes 2007. Bummer, when I started looking for eyeshadow palettes from the more natural and organic lines, either the colors aren't as bright, or they only come in singles/duos or they're all loose minerals, I'm really looking for a palette with at least 6 shadows I can use to achieve several different looks.

I love my Dr. Hauschka eyeshadow but afraid I'm getting into a comfortable rut, that's it you ladies helped me talk myself into the new MAC 2007 palette ! Laughing

Thanks all,

Athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
J-Co
5% products discount

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:14 am      Reply with quote
I have the Julie Hewitt Soiree eye shadow palette and it has an amazing smokey black colour included. For most days I use the neutral gold-y colour in the palette as it goes on better than anything else I own.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
J-Co, do you have a link by any chance?

Thanks,

Athena

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
mamawalnut wrote:
I started looking at the MAC 2007 smokey eye palette and it might be closer to what you're looking for than the 2006 version. It looks like it would make a lighter, not quite so dramatic smokey eye. I liked it so much I ordered one for myself! Very Happy

Woohoo big hugs mamawalnut! I purchased 3 of the Royal Assets palettes from a reputable ebay seller; Cool eyes, Smokey and Warm eyes and they are lovely! Think I'm fixed for new eyeshadows now and a lot of endless combinations great suggestion! Very Happy

mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Wow athena, I'm so happy for you and a bit jealous. Very Happy I've been eyeing the Warm Eyes palette as well so I'm curious as to how you like it compared to the Smokey Eyes one. When you start playing around with them let me know which of the palettes you like the best. I went with the Smokey Eyes because I love that look but the Warm Eyes got so many raves too. Cool Eyes looks beautiful as well but I'm not sure I could wear those colors. Congratulations on your new shadows and I'm glad I could help. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:12 am      Reply with quote
There are some great tutorials on creating a smokey eye with the products you have. I like http://nessasarymakeup.blogspot.com/ a lot...she has some good tutorials.

Also the ladies at specktra (mac) have some awesome tutorials:
http://specktra.net/f191/

Personally, I love the tarte palettes, because they supply a foolproof guide to apply the colors that are inside the palette...
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:32 am      Reply with quote
mamawalnut wrote:
Wow athena, I'm so happy for you and a bit jealous. Very Happy I've been eyeing the Warm Eyes palette as well so I'm curious as to how you like it compared to the Smokey Eyes one. When you start playing around with them let me know which of the palettes you like the best. I went with the Smokey Eyes because I love that look but the Warm Eyes got so many raves too. Cool Eyes looks beautiful as well but I'm not sure I could wear those colors. Congratulations on your new shadows and I'm glad I could help. Smile

I LOVE the warm eyes - it contains shades I'm already comfortable with wearing [well, except for the gold shimmery, I've never worn that shade before]. The smoky palette is wonderful too, I never tried grey shadows and was amazed by how subtle it can be with a lot of blending. I ordered the cool eyes to get me out of my rut and was pleasantly surprised that this 42 year old woman going on 43 next month really CAN wear pink eyeshadow without looking ridiculous. Laughing It's hard to say which one is my fave right now, will find out within the next few weeks which one I tend to reach for more often.

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:33 am      Reply with quote
londonfan wrote:
There are some great tutorials on creating a smokey eye with the products you have. I like http://nessasarymakeup.blogspot.com/ a lot...she has some good tutorials.

Also the ladies at specktra (mac) have some awesome tutorials:
http://specktra.net/f191/

Personally, I love the tarte palettes, because they supply a foolproof guide to apply the colors that are inside the palette...

Cool, thanks for the links! I actually discovered specktra the last month and it really is fabulous. Some of those tutorials are much more than I'll ever wear but inspiring to see nevertheless!

higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:37 am      Reply with quote
Mac eyeshadow palette,NARS Pandora or BB Sexy Glamour Palette.
yomama606
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:07 am      Reply with quote
MAC is my favorite. Plus their eye shadows last forever. The smoky palette had great colors.
Urbnengineer
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'd just like to add the Jane Iredale Eyeshadow trio as a great little kit for smokey eyes. I have tried Cloud Nine (purples) and Pink Bliss (Pinks and Browns) and it's all in there with the lightest color for your brow bones and lids, the middle color for the crease and the darkest color doubles as an eyeliner.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I too would like to know if any of you have used any Jane Iredale shadows, especially the smokey eye look? Does the shadow stay in place or smudge?
Urbnengineer
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Feliz, I pretty much always use the eyeshadow trio for a smokey eye look. I've found it stays put all day and doesn't crease or smudge once it's set. If you have really oily eyelids, there is an eyeshadow primer by JI, but I've yet to need it, even for a whole day and night. The one tricky thing with a very dark eyeshadow (like the darkets plum in Cloud Nine) is that you have to be careful not to get any on the rest of your face as you're smudging it onto your lashline. I tend to use a very small eyeliner brush just dipped into the color and I will have a Q-tip handy to remove any excess on my cheeks. Hope that helps!
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for that tip. Do you use other colors for smokey eye other than dark brown/black or greys?? If so which color together to get that faded look? Thanks!!
Urbnengineer
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
I've used the Cloud Nine which is a plum/purple/lavender combo and I've also used Brown/pink as a combo. If you have blue/green eyes, brown and purple are good choices, but if you have brown eyes, then consider a navy/light blue combo or dark green. Depending on your skin/eye color, any rich hue will work but jewel tones are generally more flattering on everyone. I do think that a "smokey eye" can be done with many colors, but in general there is always a very saturated tone (dark) near the lashline. Hope that helps! Smile
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:29 am      Reply with quote
WOW, thanks for the suggestions. I have blue/greeny eyes and will try the brown/purple. or brown pink? Thanks for the idea, and an excuse to purchase a few new eye tones!!!
Urbnengineer
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
I'm happy to help! I love using a strong color on my eyes, but then I tend to use a much more muted set of colors for my face and lips, otherwise I think you risk looking like a clown.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
HA,funny,yet so true. If you play up your eyes then you MUST tone down cheeks and lips. I am not a fan of lip stick, so that helps. I think it also depends on what area you want attention drawn to regarding face shape and hair cut. Long bangs may cover so much of the eyes that you prefer to show off cheek bones and lips..the Cher look.

I prefer to highlight my eyes.
Urbnengineer
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I guess I also feel like your eyes are probably the most expressive and focused part of your face, so if you can play them up, people are more likely to look you in the eye and focus on you. (Always good at work!)
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
So true!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |