Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I hate having my picture taken...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 9:32 am      Reply with quote
God, I look like rubbish... Why is it that some people are just so photogenic and then there's ME. No matter what I do, I look awful in pictures - I have a full face (and by full I mean long and fat - and with menopause in full swing - kinda jowl-y! Confused ). Last night I went to dinner with some truly great friends from highschool and we had the waitress take a picture of all of us (there were 8 of us). I look awful and everyone else looks great! I know it's tough not to be critical when you're looking at yourself....but does anyone have any tricks to look better in pictures so I don't look like such a rolly polly troll?! I kept vetoing pics they wanted to put up on Facebook!

Maria Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Mariav wrote:
God, I look like rubbish... Why is it that some people are just so photogenic and then there's ME. No matter what I do, I look awful in pictures - I have a full face (and by full I mean long and fat - and with menopause in full swing - kinda jowl-y! Confused ). Last night I went to dinner with some truly great friends from highschool and we had the waitress take a picture of all of us (there were 8 of us). I look awful and everyone else looks great! I know it's tough not to be critical when you're looking at yourself....but does anyone have any tricks to look better in pictures so I don't look like such a rolly polly troll?! I kept vetoing pics they wanted to put up on Facebook!

Maria Very Happy

I can only tell you I know how you feel, I am not at all photogenic, in 58 years I maybe have had one or two DECENT photos of myself!

I have been married twice and hate my wedding pictures from both, I don't look good in them!

The only thing that keeps me from letting it really bother me is as gorgeous as many models look all done up many look like "Plain Janes" without makeup and hair! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 11:24 am      Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat. It's weird, but when I look at myself in the mirror, I don't think I look half bad. But then someone takes my picture and I could think I'm smiling at the camera the exact same way I smile at myself in the mirror, but I still come out looking like someone used an Ugly camera to snap my photo. Laughing

Seriously, though, I've heard that if you stand at an angle in pictures (every model does this), it'll right away make you look 10 pounds thinner. And don't ever rest your arm flat against the side of your body because it'll make it look wider. Either stand with your hand on your hip or just try to hold it away from your body an inch or so...much slimmer arms.

For the face to look thinner, stick your chin out slightly and then tilt it slightly up. Practice in the mirror so you can see how it instantly makes your face look a little thinner and any shadows under your eyes less apparent. If you have small eyes like me, try not to smile too big or it'll make them look even smaller.

And remember, everyone else is probably thinking the same thing about themselves in the same pictures you
are looking at and most likely thinks you and everyone else looks great. We truly are our own worst critics.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 11:54 am      Reply with quote
I agree for MOST people sandooch, my case I warned the photographer for my second wedding ahead of time and heard the "Oh no a pretty girl like you no way they will be fantastic!"
That was until we went to pick out our photos for an album, then his remark was "Gee you were right the camera does not like you, it was really hard to get any decent pictures of you" Laughing Laughing

I might have been offended had I not already known that I just do not photograph well at all! Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Maria
You cannot claim my crown. I am the queen of the ugly picture. I go out of my way to avoid having my photo taken. Infact it as a standing joke in my family that there were no pictures to show the grandchildren. I am always the one taking the photo's. I have come to a time in my life where actually I don't care anymore. I have lots of pictures with myself and grandchildren and I look at them and try not to judge myself to harshly.
I bet your friends think the same about themselves on pictures as you do. I am sure someone as lovely as you looks lovely in the photo's.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
You have both made me instantly feel better! Very Happy

So funny, I think the same thing - I look in the mirror and say "you're a decent looking woman - the mirror didn't crack..." and then I see me in pictures and it's like "what on EARTH is that about?"

I will take your tips into consideration - especially the one where I jut my chin out a bit and tilt my head up!

xoMaria

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Everyone tells me how photogenic I am...but I don't like any pics of me in it. Even for my wedding pics, there weren't any that i was completely satisfied with. Even a friend who is a famous fashion photographer and shoots models all day tells me "I'm more photogenic than most models"....but i guess you are your worst critic and i just hate looking at pics of myself

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
Maria
You cannot claim my crown. I am the queen of the ugly picture. I go out of my way to avoid having my photo taken. Infact it as a standing joke in my family that there were no pictures to show the grandchildren. I am always the one taking the photo's. I have come to a time in my life where actually I don't care anymore. I have lots of pictures with myself and grandchildren and I look at them and try not to judge myself to harshly.
I bet your friends think the same about themselves on pictures as you do. I am sure someone as lovely as you looks lovely in the photo's.

Loops -

You are too sweet! I am the same way - give me the camera and let me take the picture! But I am sure that the pics of you and your beautiful grandbabies are gorgeous - how can they NOT be?

xoMaria

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
You can all take comfort from each other's words, and I am sure you all look lovely in your pictures!

I am claiming the crown because I have verification from a very good photographer that I don't take good pictures! Bad Grin Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
DM
I will have to blacken your eyes if you try to steal my crown. Then see how you look in a photo.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
DM
I will have to blacken your eyes if you try to steal my crown. Then see how you look in a photo.

Yes Your Majesty.....but you have to find me first! Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
I hate to burst DM's and Loopy's bubble, but I GET THE CROWN!!! I take the worlds worst photos. I too get fixed up, look in mirror and think ok not bad, till I see a picture, then I just cringe.

A trick a good friend does is OVER smile, by that, she really smiles so big its goofy looking in person but in pictures it looks great.

*Going to a different room with my tiara, so it cannot be taken away*

eta:

My husband, whose very handsome surely deserves a crown too, he just looks awful in pictures. But the bright side is at least no one says OMG whose that awful looking woman with that handsome man Laughing
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
loopylori wrote:
DM

I hope you curtseyed. I have my ways of finding people. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
I hate to burst DM's and Loopy's bubble, but I GET THE CROWN!!! I take the worlds worst photos. I too get fixed up, look in mirror and think ok not bad, till I see a picture, then I just cringe.

A trick a good friend does is OVER smile, by that, she really smiles so big its goofy looking in person but in pictures it looks great.

DO NOT MESS WITH THE WICKED ONE!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
loopylori wrote:
DM

I am a slippery little devil! Good luck lori! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
loopylori wrote:
DM

*catch me if you can*
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:

eta:

My husband, whose very handsome surely deserves a crown too, he just looks awful in pictures. But the bright side is at least no one says OMG whose that awful looking woman with that handsome man Laughing

On me would just look goofy. I know how to find you, it's the room with all the gadgets. Wrests back crown, accidently pulls Tiny's hair out.
edited cos i am stuupid.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
Tiny wrote:

eta:

On me would just look goofy. I know how to find you, it's the room with all the gadgets. Wrests back crown, accidently pulls Tiny's hair out.
edited cos i am stuupid.

Not sure what happened but some poor womans screaming in the DIY section
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
loopylori wrote:
Tiny wrote:

eta:

edited cos i am stuupid.

Not sure what happened but some poor womans screaming in the DIY section

Sounds like a major cat fight to me! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Mariav wrote:
loopylori wrote:
Maria

Loops -

You are too sweet! I am the same way - give me the camera and let me take the picture! But I am sure that the pics of you and your beautiful grandbabies are gorgeous - how can they NOT be?

xoMaria

Ty Maria.
well the plan is peeps to busy admiring the children to worry about the hag in the corner.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
Ty Maria.
well the plan is peeps to busy admiring the children to worry about the hag in the corner.

That is why I always had mine sit on my lap so I could hide as much as possible! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
I need to correct some info, I called my freind, she said its not the "over" smile, but one should be over dramatic, twist shoulders, and tilt face a bit and smile big (not hugely oversmile).

Hope that helps, she really does take beautiful pictures!
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
bet next photo I see of myself I am twisted around like a bendy toy, looking meaningfully at the ceiling, i'll never get it right. I can see my daughter wetting herself with laughter whilst I try to do the pose. Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2012 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
I'm also not photogenic at all. I suspect I'm too thin and it creates shadows and gauntness. Couple tricks that get a decent photo (1 out of 10 are passable).

Over smile. Grinning like an idiot is actually camera friendly.

Turn your head at an angle. Hits the light a little better.

Stage them. By this I don't mean get a backdrop, but if you are going out, bully your friends into going to places with amber lighting. I also look pretty good against blue lighting. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2012 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
I'm also not photogenic at all. I suspect I'm too thin and it creates shadows and gauntness. Couple tricks that get a decent photo (1 out of 10 are passable).

Over smile. Grinning like an idiot is actually camera friendly.

Turn your head at an angle. Hits the light a little better.

Stage them. By this I don't mean get a backdrop, but if you are going out, bully your friends into going to places with amber lighting. I also look pretty good against blue lighting. Laughing

So the rumor of Candle light is true Laughing , poor hubby's gonna wonder what happened to light bulbs later today, when he comes in and its all candles Cool
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |